wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted January 20, 2018 - 09:07 PM

It was warm out today. 

maxresdefault.jpg

I was supposed to go get some I beams out of a yard up the road today. It was so wet out that I decided not to. It was a good decision. 

A guy contacted me on messenger  asking if I wanted a Honda Civic with a blown head gasket and a broken front end. I gave him a price of $115. It was actually a very generous offer. Most guys are paying 100 for a compact. He began o lay on the sob story - he was a vet, a single father, and his rent was due and he needed $200. I told him my offer was firm. He went through it again. I told him I had bills to pay too. I never heard from him again. I don't know why people think I am here to pay their bills when they get in a jam. I have to pay my own. 

At 1 we headed outdoors to get things done. I fired up Gertie. She refused to move in 2wd. I had to engage the font axle to get it going. I moved the tire trailer over to BettyBlue then we offloaded the tires from the WIndturd we carted to the crusher before the snow. I left them in the back of the truck to add weight in the slick stuff.

Then I put the tire trailer in its place and moved the tow dolly around to the front yard.

Once it was hooked to BB we loaded up and made our way to Morganton. A guy had a Jeep Liberty we had already talked about.

I got there before he did. He had to run to Walmart to get something. 

He got home and we loaded it up. He told me there was a rebuild kit in the interior of the Jeep. I figured rings and stuff. Nope. Everything internal in the engine is sitting there, new crank and all.  There is a long convoluted story behind it all. I should have a  clear title on it by Thursday. We will see. If not I will part it out. 

We stopped at ChickFilA and go food. Then headed home. 

We were making good time. Running 70 down hills and dropping to 40 going up. BettyBlue was running like a top. We made our last turn to get to town and were cruising up a long grade when the engine stumbled. I looked at the fuel gauge - the needle was not visible. Oops. 

I did some quick calculating whether it was shorter to turn around and go back to the last station or press on to the next. We chose the next. I was close enough to home to call Graham to bring me gas if we couldn't make it. 

BB would stumble then run for 100 yards then stumble again. I kept nursing her on. I did run one stop sign, but it was easy enough to see both directions to tell it was clear. I finally got to the back entrance of Walmart and pulled in. I made it to the Murphy station without having to push. 

I have a 22 gallon tank. I put 24 gallons in it. I can't believe I got there. 

We pulled on our road and I saw Sam's van with the hood up in my yard. We pulled in and I found he had it up on the metal ramps, which were quickly sinking in the mud. I made him swap them out for the plastic ramps that are more stable. He was changing his oil. 

While he did that I lit the pampass grass. Heath enjoyed the fire. 

A volunteer firefighter came past going over 100. HE made a right at the top of the hill. I told Sam to hurry up and get out of my way. He did. The tow dolly was pulled across the yard and unhooked. A police car came flying past and turned right. 

Once I was out of the mud I went that way too. I found nothing. I made a big circle and came back home. As I pulled in my road I saw red lights the opposite direction. I went to investigate. There were police and ambulances at a house. I have no idea what was going on. I didn't figure I needed to stop and talk. 

I got home and Sam was gone. He did leave my shop open. I am going to have to have a word with that boy. 

I did find a dash camera in the Jeep. I hooked it to the computer and it had videos from a week ago. I could hear the Jeep run and it didn't sound bad, except for when he started it. I am wondering if it has a bad flywheel and not a bad engine. I will look at it and see. Although I still haven't looked at the Jaguar yet. 

Tomorrow Heath is going to a buddy's birthday party. I plan on staying home and doing nothing. I may go out and see if the Jeep or Jag will start. 

Edited by UncleWillie, January 20, 2018 - 09:23 PM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#5297 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

the homeless tractor hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 9,786 Thanks
  • 5,091 posts

Posted January 20, 2018 - 10:54 PM

Shame on you Willie.  Even a good ole Ford won't run on an empty tank.  :poke:

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5298 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 7,449 Thanks
  • 4,570 posts

Posted January 20, 2018 - 11:10 PM

Either the tank has expanded, or Walmart pumps are off...... "I have a 22 gallon tank. I put 24 gallons in it."

• Craig. said thank you

#5299 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 12:16 AM

Either the tank has expanded, or Walmart pumps are off...... "I have a 22 gallon tank. I put 24 gallons in it."

I think 22 is just a guess by GM. She was thirsty no doubt.
  • larrybl, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5300 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

the homeless tractor hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 9,786 Thanks
  • 5,091 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 05:44 AM

Tanks will hold more than their rating to allow for vapors and temperature related expansion.

Usually about 10%

• Craig. said thank you

#5301 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 939 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 12:32 PM

I have a 26 gal tank in my 99 Sierra and twice on a trip home from WY I put over 27 gal in it and it was still running good.

• Craig. said thank you

#5302 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 08:23 PM

Chick-fil-A wounded me.

tmg-article_default_mobile;jpeg_quality=

We went to one we have not been to before up in Morganton yesterday. The seats were incredibly uncomfortable. After I ate I went back out and sat in the truck while Heath played. 

This morning I woke up feeling like I was crushed under a falling planet. 

Heath and Steph left for a birthday party at noon. I got in a super hot Epsom salt bath. It helped some. The I spent two hours on the massaging cushion. 

Tomorrow I have to go repair yet another set of brakes - fortunately not mine. 

#5303 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted January 22, 2018 - 07:29 PM

Things were worse than we thought. (No pics - phone malfunction.) 

coffee-drinkers-wheel-620x429.jpg

This morning I was barely moving when I woke up. it took me about a hour and a half to get to where I could stand. Maybe I just need to start sleeping standing up. 

I sent Buddy a text (he never answers his phone) and told me as soon as I heard from him we would head down. About 45 minutes later he texted me back and said to come down at 1:30. I told him that was too late. He had to get Heath off the bus at 3. 20 minutes later he told me the truck was at his house and his daughter was home with the key. Sometimes I wonder who ties his shoes for him. 

We stopped at the dump and unloaded trash and then went to his house. 

He got there before I did and had the front of the truck jacked up and the front tires off.

His neighbor, Bud (no relation, just an odd coincidence), was at his house. I had not seen him in a while so it was good to talk to him. 

When I looked at his brakes I immediately noticed an odd groove on the top of the hat of the rotor. The inside of the wheel was also chewed, but the two were not related. I started to take the caliper off and realized I did not have the right torx bit. I needed a T55. the biggest I had was a 50. I sent Steph to Harbor Freight to get one. It wasn't far away.

Buddy, Bud, and I sat in the shop and drank coffee and chewed the fat. 

Steph got back. Buddy had to take his daughter to work so he left. 

I pulled the caliper off and found wear on the inside of it where the rotor had been rubbing. At first I thought it had the wrong sized rotor, but then again he has had the truck for nearly a year and it hasn't rubbed until now. I took the caliper bracket off a to see why it was rubbing the rotor and when I did the whole hub assembly sagged. A closer inspection showed the wheel bearings were completely gone. Only the races remained. The CV axle nut was all that was holding the tire on. If he had not had a 4wd it would have been a different story. 

Once we found that we were done.I didn't have the right tools to take it all apart, and I wasn't going to run back and forth to the house to get them. I put it all back together. Steph put tools up. Buddy came back and we gave him the news. Bud finally left to get Breakfast - a 1:30 LOL. He is a mess. He is a retired widower that just walks around the neighborhood visiting. Everyone loves him. 

Buddy's wife called and said she got sick at work. HE left to get her. 

I had his AAA tow it to my house. I sent Steph home to get Heath. I stayed and waited. 

When we got it home and I backed it off the rollback it sounded horrible. As long as I kept light pressure on the brake pedal it would roll straight. I got it up in the carport and then came in to look up parts.

Steph had gone to get a cabinet in Charlotte.

After a bit I went out and took my time getting the front end apart again. It took me over an hour to get up and down getting tools. Steph had all the ones we used in BettyBlue.

Once I got it apart I realized it has a unit bearing and it didn't actually wobble out the whole knuckle. So Instead of having to go to a junk yard and find a knuckle I could get the parts local. 

I did call him and verify that he wanted to get it done tomorrow and pay more for parts. I could have had the parts for half the price, but they would not be here till Monday. He has 2 tile jobs waiting on him. 

When Steph got home she realized the cabinet she got would not fit through the front door. It was free so it would not be a terrible thing. I looked at it and figured out we could cut it down and get it in. So we will do that tomorrow.  Right now it is sitting in the back of BB. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor and Craig. have said thanks

#5304 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted January 23, 2018 - 07:12 PM

Busy with lots of little stuff today. 

110b8b133301986d0800a623386ec6b8--big-thing-life-is-good.jpg

This morning I was doing my exercises while Steph went down to Autozone to get the parts. 

She got back and we went out to Buddy's truck. 

Here is the hub bearing I took off of it. Well, what is left of it. 

IMG_20180123_0844301.jpg

You can see where the rotor was chewing on the caliper mount bracket. I replaced it. 

IMG_20180123_0844391.jpg

Once I had it all back together, I put it in 4wd and sloshed out of the yard. The test drive was perfect. 

Gertie was then awakened. The monster island that Steph got for teh kitchen was far bigger than I wanted to wrestle, I let Gertie handle it. We used two straps to attach it to the bucket and moved it over to the now vacant carport.

Then we dragged the little trailer out of the swamp and around to the driveway. 

Steph attempted to pull BettyBlue to the driveway. She refused to move. Gertie had to get involved again. 

Finally, we were all hooked up and ready to go. I drove Buddy's truck, she drove BB. 

On the way down I noticed that the u joints are going go need to be replaced on his truck soon. 

HE wasn't home yet. He had a working refrigerator in his shop that he didn't want or need. He told me yesterday he wanted it gone. I loaded it up. Then we sat in his shop and played Freecell on his computer. His daughter, Miriam, was home, but we didn't know that.

HE came home and drug out a mini fridge and a broken printer. 

We sat and palavered a bit with them, then we headed home. 

We stopped at BoJangle's on the way. I was hungry. 

Then we went out and put the working Fridge in the carport, I am not sure where she put the mini fridge and printer. I will probably find them on the roof tomorrow. 

We came in to sit a spell. 

Heath got home and we went out. Gertie got fired up again, and the Jeep finally got taken off the towdolly. I parked the tow dolly and then we pulled the Jeep around back with the tow strap. As soon as the tow strap was taken off the tractor Heath ran off with it. 

I asked Steph if there was enough room between the pear tree and the tow dolly. She said it wouldn't fit. Just to prove her wrong I got in BB and backed it right in there. She stuck her tongue out at me. 

We played with Heath a bit ( he had the tow strap hooked from the wagon to his pedal tractor)  then my back had enough. I came in. 

Heath came in and had a bowl of cereal, I swear I don't know where the boy is putting all the food. He is only 3 feet tall. 

They had to go to the store so they left. I got in the shower. 

Tomorrow I am not sure what I a doing. Steph is taking a neighbor to her surgery appointment so I will be here on my own. 

#5305 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,843 Thanks
  • 47,077 posts

Posted January 23, 2018 - 07:18 PM

Busy with lots of little stuff today. 

attachicon.gif110b8b133301986d0800a623386ec6b8--big-thing-life-is-good.jpg

This morning I was doing my exercises while Steph went down to Autozone to get the parts. 

She got back and we went out to Buddy's truck. 

Here is the hub bearing I took off of it. Well, what is left of it. 

attachicon.gifIMG_20180123_0844301.jpg

You can see where the rotor was chewing on the caliper mount bracket. I replaced it. 

attachicon.gifIMG_20180123_0844391.jpg

Once I had it all back together, I put it in 4wd and sloshed out of the yard. The test drive was perfect. 

Gertie was then awakened. The monster island that Steph got for teh kitchen was far bigger than I wanted to wrestle, I let Gertie handle it. We used two straps to attach it to the bucket and moved it over to the now vacant carport.

Then we dragged the little trailer out of the swamp and around to the driveway. 

Steph attempted to pull BettyBlue to the driveway. She refused to move. Gertie had to get involved again. 

Finally, we were all hooked up and ready to go. I drove Buddy's truck, she drove BB. 

On the way down I noticed that the u joints are going go need to be replaced on his truck soon. 

HE wasn't home yet. He had a working refrigerator in his shop that he didn't want or need. He told me yesterday he wanted it gone. I loaded it up. Then we sat in his shop and played Freecell on his computer. His daughter, Miriam, was home, but we didn't know that.

HE came home and drug out a mini fridge and a broken printer. 

We sat and palavered a bit with them, then we headed home. 

We stopped at BoJangle's on the way. I was hungry. 

Then we went out and put the working Fridge in the carport, I am not sure where she put the mini fridge and printer. I will probably find them on the roof tomorrow. 

We came in to sit a spell. 

Heath got home and we went out. Gertie got fired up again, and the Jeep finally got taken off the towdolly. I parked the tow dolly and then we pulled the Jeep around back with the tow strap. As soon as the tow strap was taken off the tractor Heath ran off with it. 

I asked Steph if there was enough room between the pear tree and the tow dolly. She said it wouldn't fit. Just to prove her wrong I got in BB and backed it right in there. She stuck her tongue out at me. 

We played with Heath a bit ( he had the tow strap hooked from the wagon to his pedal tractor)  then my back had enough. I came in. 

Heath came in and had a bowl of cereal, I swear I don't know where the boy is putting all the food. He is only 3 feet tall. 

They had to go to the store so they left. I got in the shower. 

Tomorrow I am not sure what I a doing. Steph is taking a neighbor to her surgery appointment so I will be here on my own. 

Home alone? Now that's a scary thought!

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5306 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted January 24, 2018 - 05:33 PM

Easy day. 

Video-Coffee.jpg

I had the place to myself all morning. I got up and put Heath on the bus and then waited for the frost to go away. 

I finally ventured out and got to tinkering. Gertie was awakened from slumber and pulled to the front of the Jeep. I tried to get it to turn over but I think he has something disconnected to the starter circuit. It just never got enough power. Since I am not overly concerned about it, I turned my attention to the Jag. 

Right off the bat it was a loosing proposition. It has no battery cables. Since the battery mounts in the trunk I wasn't going to crawl under it to jump out the starter. I decided to make a video to see if someone wanted it for parts. 

My phone had other ideas. I would make a video, the phone would freeze, then lock up, and eventually shut down. I made that stupid thing 7 times before it finally worked. I was about ready to scrap the phone and keep the Jag. 

While I was trying to figure the problem out, Steph got home. 

Oddly enough, first video saved, the last 6 didn't. I have no idea why.

Then we set about picking up the stuff that got blown all over in the winds we had the past few days. After an hour of that my back was done. 

We came in. 

Heath got home. 

The plumber came and dropped off a water heater. 

Steph made rabbit sloppy joes for dinner. 

I plan to be in bed early tonight. I could not sleep last night . I got a whole 2 hours. 

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5307 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted January 25, 2018 - 04:49 PM

Ugh.

Heath woke up with a fever and a stomach ache. I wasn't feeling super hot myself. We all went back to bed. 

il_fullxfull.1078372595_ou70.jpg

When we got up we got loaded up in BettyBlue and headed to SC.

I have been in desperate need of a bigger tool box. I have tools everywhere. A guy had some on Craigslist, so we went down to look at them. I got a 40 inch top chest  and two smaller 20 inch mid boxes. I paid less for them than the top chest was worth. We loaded them up and headed back. 

IMG_20180125_164050.jpg

IMG_20180125_164032.jpg

We stopped at Sonic for lunch and then came on home. 

Heath came in side and fell asleep on the couch. Steph and I stayed out and cleaned up another section of the yard. We are taking small chunks at a time as my back can handle it.

Finally i came in. I am coughing like I was paid for it and i think I have a fever. Thanks Heath. LOL. 

Tomorrow we have to go get an Exploder then cut down a counter to fit in the kitchen. 

Edited by UncleWillie, January 25, 2018 - 05:08 PM.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#5308 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted January 25, 2018 - 05:13 PM

Oh yeah, the jag vid finally loaded. 

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5309 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,885 Thanks
  • 31,934 posts

Posted January 25, 2018 - 06:00 PM

My gosh, there couldn't be any tighter an engine compartment!  Hey Willie, that V12 would be awfully cool in a garden tractor!  :smilewink:

• Craig., KennyP and UncleWillie have said thanks

#5310 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 10,844 Thanks
  • 6,340 posts

Posted January 25, 2018 - 06:20 PM

I think that jag model is pretty popular for a 350 swap
  • Craig. said thank you