wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 08:56 PM

Glad you figured out the brake issue!

:ditto: :ditto: :ditto:

Me too. I was starting to wonder if I had lost my ability to work on things. I could replace about 4 more parts and have a brand new braking system now. 

• olcowhand, larrybl, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#5282 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted January 14, 2018 - 04:17 PM

We attempted to fix it. 

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAVEAAAAJDMxMWYyN2M0LTcxZGUt

We went out and started working on Christine, hoping to remove the curse she put on us when we sold her. :biting_nails:  :biting_nails:

I got started modifying the bracket, Steph took the pump off the broken bracket.

After some measuring and math, I sent Steph to the hardware store for a bolt. I came in.

I heard her stop for a while up toward the stop sign. When the phone rang I thought she was going to say the brakes failed again. Nope. A neighbor had lost their house and told her we could have the van in the front yard and all the metal in the yard. Not bad for us. 

She went up to ACE and found they were still closed for another 2 hours. She came home. 

We hooked the dump trailer up to BettyBlue, poured fuel in Gertie and aired up her perpetually low tire, and headed up the road. 

Heath is feeling poorly, and Emily was off work today, so it was a good time to go get the stuff. 

I started across the yard and dropped the front tire into a hole. Gertie came to a complete stop and the back tires came off the ground, then the back tires slammed down and she took off again - lurching and bouncing while I tried to not get tossed over the steering wheel,. It did not feel good.

We loaded up some metal on top of what was already on the dump trailer, them used Gertie to pick up a big AC unit and put it on his trailer. Then Steph took BB and the dump trailer home. Emily and Heath brought her back. 

The Furd Windstar got pushed home by Gertie and we were done for the day. I was anyway. Steph went to the store. 

Tomorrow the Dump trailer and the Furd get carted off to the scrap yard and then Christine gets fixed - maybe. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#5283 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 14,370 Thanks
  • 10,141 posts

Posted January 14, 2018 - 05:10 PM

Did you flag the hole so you don't try to go in again?
  • olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#5284 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted January 14, 2018 - 06:18 PM

Did you flag the hole so you don't try to go in again?

Since it wasn't in my yard, no. I think I will remember where it is for a while.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5285 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted January 16, 2018 - 06:03 PM

Last night I was hurting too bad to type.

hfL7av.jpg

Yesterday morning I was in agony. I couldn't even do my exercises.  

Finally I groaned and clanked into an upright position, and we got in BettyBlue and headed down to the scrap yard.

Right off the bat, the trailer brakes didn't work. I tinkered with them and got them to work with the controller, but not when I stepped on the pedal. Oh well. 

We dumped the dump trailer and headed home. 

We followed a long trail of oil to a broken down semi. The driver was tinkering with something on the back of the turbo. Probably not good. 

Then we followed this genius and his 6 inch wheel spacers, and no, it isn't legal in NC.

26909161_10156289808749739_1561302854_o.jpg

In short order we swapped the tow dolly in place of the dumper and then shoved the Windturd up on it. Steph tossed all the aluminum rims in the back of Christine and we headed off. We didn't get far.

About a mile from the house the brakes started messing up again. Once again the passengers rear was sticking. As I was trying to get to where I could turn around, Steph called me to tell me what I already knew - smoke was coming off the wheel. 

She went on to the scrap yard. I went home. My back was screaming. 

This morning I woke up feeling a lot better. I picked up my phone and had a message from Graham. His truck would not start. So after I had done as  much of my excercises as I could, we headed over. 

His battery was good. The terminals were tight. The fuses were good. Swapping out the starting relay changed nothing. So we pulled the started out. It was good. The main power cable was getting power, the solenoid wire was not. 

More testing and poking and prodding. Everything was perfect. 

After 3 hours of messing with it, I told Steph to keep trying to start it while I poked around more. I touched the alternator. It started. I have no idea why. It made no sense. However, it started. 

So we came back to BettyBlue. Once the passengers rear tire was off I disconnected the parking brake cable, and put the tire back on. 

Heath got home from school. We left for the scrap yard. BettyBlue worked perfect. All I can figure is the return spring has been compressed for so long that it is no good. I can order a new cable for a whopping $24.

We took the van to the smasher. It was free so it was pure profit. 

We got back home, and I came in and showered. Steph did what all women do, she went shopping. 

Tomorrow it is suppose to snow. I am sure the world will come to a complete stop and we will probably all die. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#5286 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted January 17, 2018 - 03:29 PM

27016343_10156294199129739_718719739_o.jpg

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#5287 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,949 Thanks
  • 47,132 posts

Posted January 17, 2018 - 03:30 PM

The sky has dandruff!

• Craig., UncleWillie, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#5288 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 10,270 Thanks
  • 3,333 posts

Posted January 17, 2018 - 03:54 PM

The sky has dandruff!

Either that or some white mold is starting to take root on his Ford tractor. 

Stay warm and think SPRING

#5289 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted January 18, 2018 - 08:19 PM

Had to go out today. 

IMG_3168__90172.1417468834.500.750.JPG?c

I woke up to a message from Graham. He had attempted to go to work this morning and got stuck. He said he was in a ditch. I didn't hear the text come in and I was still  awake at 2:30am so I didn't get up till 10.

I went out and fired up Gertie, the shoveled the 6 inches of snow off her her. I took the hitch off of Christine to put on his truck to pull it out, and grabbed my tow strap.

I drove over to his house and got him. He brought out a towel and perched up on the fender. 

It was in the 40's so it wasn't all that cold, until a good sized chunk of snow came off a power line and went right down the front of my shirt. Brrrr. 

We drove about 3 miles. There was a Honda CRV stuck on a solid sheet of ice going up a hill. They more or less abandoned it in the middle of the road.

When we got down to Graham's truck I realized I should have sent him down on a bicycle. The truck was only stuck if he tried to go up hill. I told him to back it into a driveway down the hill and turn it around. I also told him to get a run at the next hill and if he got stuck I would push him up when I got there. 

He got home with no problems. I go home shortly after that. I parked Gertie in the sun and came in the house. 

Tomorrow it is supposed to be in the upper 50s. It will be a muddy mess for a while. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#5290 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 882 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted January 18, 2018 - 08:32 PM

It makes my day when I can catch up on the latest episode of "My New Hat".

• Craig., KennyP, UncleWillie and 1 other said thanks

#5291 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 10,490 Thanks
  • 5,096 posts

Posted January 19, 2018 - 07:12 PM

Yup, when I read some of its' adventures it makes me glad I don't have a new one. My olde hat gets into more than enough trouble for me sometimes.   :loosing_it: 

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5292 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,898 Thanks
  • 31,941 posts

Posted January 19, 2018 - 07:44 PM

Hey Willie, what's car's bringing for scrap down your way?  Up here they're $170 a ton, with all steel, mixed or not at $150/ton.  Aluminum cans are 44 cents/pound

I have a lot of roofing on my trailer, but as soon as I can, I need to offload it so I can start hauling scrap off.  I have an old grand Cherokee, maybe 2 tons of mixed steel, and 4 small feed bins I need haul off.  Plus a lot of cans, but they're not crushed, so hate to have to deal with them.  I may have to find a way to crush them.

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5293 Craig. ONLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 1,196 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted January 19, 2018 - 08:38 PM

Hey Willie, what's car's bringing for scrap down your way?  Up here they're $170 a ton, with all steel, mixed or not at $150/ton.  Aluminum cans are 44 cents/pound

I have a lot of roofing on my trailer, but as soon as I can, I need to offload it so I can start hauling scrap off.  I have an old grand Cherokee, maybe 2 tons of mixed steel, and 4 small feed bins I need haul off.  Plus a lot of cans, but they're not crushed, so hate to have to deal with them.  I may have to find a way to crush them.

Up here my Daughter takes all there UNCRUSHED cans to grocery store, puts them through a machine, then it then spits out a Credit Card you use to buy your grocery's. Last time they gained $120 towards there groceries. It adds up both the aluminum cost and any return cash. 

• olcowhand, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5294 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,838 Thanks
  • 5,418 posts

Posted January 19, 2018 - 10:42 PM

Just for Willie.
FB_IMG_1516373309326.jpg

#5295 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 10,490 Thanks
  • 5,096 posts

Posted January 20, 2018 - 12:48 AM

Here pop cans are .10 each, and I just crush them by stepping on them, but I don't go out collecting them so it's not a big deal to do them that way.

• olcowhand, Alc, Craig. and 1 other said thanks