wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 06:48 PM

Well...

not_again_funny_gold_lettering_magic_mug

This morning my neighbor, Barney, woke me up at 8am. He had to be at teh VA at 1:45. He wanted to leave right then. I told him no. I would be there in an hour or so. 

I got up and did all my stretches and exercises till I could move, At 930 I picked him up. I knew it was way to early to be going up, but he was insistent that we needed to go that early. 

As I was walking out the door we got a call from Heath's school. Due to high winds they were dismissing school early. No need to have a bus get blown over. 

We were buzzing up the highway and having a great old time. All of a sudden BettyBlue started shaking violently. At first I thought I had a wheel come loose. I hopped out and checked them. All tight. 

We started up the road again. Things went great for 15 minutes, then it started shaking again. I crawled under the back and saw smoke coming off the passengers side rear brakes. Not good. 

I called Steph to bring me some tools and told her I was going to try to get as close to the VA as I could. She went to get Heath since he had not dismissed yet. 

I made it most of the way at 45 mph. The last mile was at 20. I didn't need Barney melting down on the side of the road.

I parked in the lot at 10:45. I called Steph and told her I made it. 

I toyed with the idea of looking at the brakes in the parking lot, but decided against it. 

Steph arrived and then left to get lunch and bring it back. Unfortunately, I got interested in a video and forgot to call AAA. At 1245 I remembered. 

Barney was back outside at 200. His appointment didn't take long. 

Steph left to go buy rabbit food since she was close to Claremont where it is super cheap. 

AAA got there at 225. 

26695541_10156270285404739_1632977937_o.jpg

From there it was an easy ride home. IT was interesting sitting up high in the roll back and not having to watch the road. Everything is frozen: ponds, creeks, swimming pools. At one point I saw a bunch of ducks sliding around on a frozen creek. I wish I could have taken a picture. 

Once BB was deposited in the yard, I got Emily's car and took Barney home. It was just starting to rain and his driveway is about 1/4 mile long. 

Back home I parked in my recliner. Tomorrow I will try to figure out what went wrong, and look at Barney's truck. Maybe I can fix something. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#5267 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 06:59 PM

Woohoooo...

This morning we were awakened at 6am. The school was on a 2 hour delay. IT rained yesterday then froze last night. We went back to sleep. An hour later we got a call. They were on a 3 hour delay. We went back to sleep. 

Finally the bus got there. 

accomplish.jpg

After I was all stretched and limber, we went out to look at Barney's truck.

IT was nearly 60 today . IT felt nice to be outside. And the outdoor cat made himself comfortable in Christine's bed. 

cat.jpg

Gertie got awakened and pulled the truck/tow dolly into the sun. We left it up on the dolly because it made it easier to get under.

After a couple of hours of checking things, I decided to pull the starter.  Once it was unbolted I saw a terminal with no wire on it. The connector was all jacked up, so I found another one. I soldered a short piece of wire in to make it easier to hook back up, then the truck started right up. 

We changed out the monstrous terminals that were on it for ones that actually fit. ( we had to buy some at Walmart the night we changed the battery, the 30 year old ones fell apart, they only had huge terminals). 

The huge terminals got put on Gertie. She has had a bad one since I bought her and I only think about it when I am trying to start her. 

Then tow dolly got separated from the Nissan, and pulled around back. Then we got the big 19.5 inch tires out of the Jaguar with Gertie, and stacked them up. Then we put the forks on her and put a huge chest freezer on the dump trailer.

Finally i called Barney and asked him if he wanted his truck back. He said he did, so we drove up there. It is a whole 4 houses away.

He was glad to get it back. He is not getting any younger and has no family conveniently close to take him places. He gave me a book on WWII. Then he argued that I didn't charge him enough. I told him to feel free to pay more. I really don't know what he paid. Steph has the check. 

We came home and I flopped in my chair. Tomorrow we will go to the junk yard in search of a proportional valve for BettyBlue. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#5268 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,900 Thanks
  • 31,942 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 07:32 PM

Dang, only made it to 46* here today.   Supposed to be 60* here tomorrow, then 65* Thursday.  

• Craig., KennyP and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#5269 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 14,376 Thanks
  • 10,145 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 08:22 PM

'Pay me what you think it was worth' usually works out pretty good.

Unless you know my brother in law.
  • olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#5270 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 08:45 PM

'Pay me what you think it was worth' usually works out pretty good.

Unless you know my brother in law.

Those kind of people only get the offer once

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5271 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted January 10, 2018 - 07:25 PM

Progress....

one_day_closer_coffee_mug-rae18750942a04

This morning, once I was upright, we loaded up in Christine, and headed to Charlotte. 

We did have to make one stop. Emily said her car overheated. I told her yesterday to check her fluids. She didn't. We stopped at the college and refilled the radiator. I have no idea where the leak is.I need to take the car to the car wash and blast off the engine to get a better look at it.

LKQ upull had 3 88-90 Chevy pickups on their inventory two days ago.  We got there and none of them were there. One that was not on the website was there. We got the brake valve and headed out.

My air die grinder, toolbox and all, grew legs and ran away. It has been a great mystery for us to try to figure out. I have worn my best deerstalker hat and smoked a pipe and everything. That is how it is done, isn't it.  Well, I thought I might need one to work on some stuff around here. We stopped by Harbor Freight and got one. I splurged a whopping $12 and got the composite one. The metal one was like holding an ice cube. I also got some scotch brite wheels and a new tool box for them all. 

The we headed across the street to Steak and Shake for a couple of $4 meals. Steph was starting to chew on the upholstery. 

Then we went to the bank to deposit some checks. It has been so long since I have been given a check I forgot to sign them. The gal had a good laugh at that. 

Then we turned for home. 

Steph had to run to the pharmacy, so I put the proprotional valve on the truck - twice. One line is impossible to get started with the thing mounted where it belongs. So i put it on with everything dangling. I got everything hooked up and started tightening everything - ecxept for that one line. That one I loosened. Dangit.

Steph got home just as I was finishing. 

IN a short time we had things bled and I attempted a test drive. They worked fine in the drive. I pulled out in the road, stepped on the brakes, and it went straight to the floor. Back in the driveway we tried bleeding them again. No joy. 

I came in to look up bleeding the proportioning valve. It took me a while to find someone who did it without buying a $25 tool. I went back out and the valve would not bleed. There wasn't even any fluid in it. 

Then I noticed the valve was slightly different. So it came back off. I went through and got the best parts off if each one and made another one. The part is obsolete and if you can find one new it is $150.

Back on the truck we had fluid in the valve. Not much, but some. We bled the brakes again. I fired her up and backed up. No brakes at all. I mean nothing.

So  pulled the brand new master cylinder off of Spooky and tossed it on. Lo and behold everything started working. I drove it up and down the road a couple of times and it would stop on a dime. So I decided to take a longer drive. 

I got the truck up to 55. The left rear brake started to stick again. I got home and Steph pulled the tire off. She started to grab the drum. I started screaming for her to stop. She looked at me like I lost my mind. Then she said she could feel the heat coming off it. I didn't need to have to take her for a skin graft after burning all her palms.

I used 2 screwdrivers to get the drum off. It sizzled when it hit the damp ground. I looked at it for a while and finally said enough for today.

I took a shower, Steph went to the store for dinner stuff.

A guy contacted me about the tow bar I had for sale He said he could come buy it. 

After sitting here and thinking about it, I started wondering if the backing plate for the brakes has something making it not return. Tomorrow I will clean it and try again. 

The guy came and got the tow bar.

Maybe tomorrow I will get this thing fixed. It is turning into a career. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#5272 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 10,274 Thanks
  • 3,336 posts

Posted January 10, 2018 - 07:39 PM

You could have a brake hose to the rear collapsing inside and keeping a small amount of fluid pressure on the wheel cylinder which in turn would not let the brake shoes completely return ( the inside of the hose acts like a check valve) - have seen it on brake calipers a few times but sometimes the return springs on a drum set up will mask it.  If you apply the brakes a few times and release the pedal and then check for pressure at the rear wheel cylinder by loosening the bleeder screw with a wrench - any squirt of fluid means there is a bit of residual pressure.  Two person job because if you do it yourself by the time you get out of the cab and walk around to the rear and crack the bleeder the pressure may have dissipated due to the time factor as the return springs are constantly applying a force against the wheel cylinder piston.  Just a suggestion to check for.   

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#5273 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted January 11, 2018 - 11:31 AM

You could have a brake hose to the rear collapsing inside and keeping a small amount of fluid pressure on the wheel cylinder which in turn would not let the brake shoes completely return ( the inside of the hose acts like a check valve) - have seen it on brake calipers a few times but sometimes the return springs on a drum set up will mask it.  If you apply the brakes a few times and release the pedal and then check for pressure at the rear wheel cylinder by loosening the bleeder screw with a wrench - any squirt of fluid means there is a bit of residual pressure.  Two person job because if you do it yourself by the time you get out of the cab and walk around to the rear and crack the bleeder the pressure may have dissipated due to the time factor as the return springs are constantly applying a force against the wheel cylinder piston.  Just a suggestion to check for.   

That was on the list of things to check. The lines are only 27 years old. I don't know why they might have gone bad. 

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#5274 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted January 11, 2018 - 02:05 PM

I was going to sleep in today since it is raining.

26219166_1763249757304127_8872238617478246613_n.jpg

Once again, there was a substitute bus driver, Heath was the only one on the street to make it on the bus today. She came nearly 30 minutes early. Steph said she was dressing him going across the front yard. Many complaints were filed today.

Just as she was falling back asleep the phone rang. My neighbor, Janice, was on the side of the interstate. Her daughter was telling me it was bad gas. She said they last bought gas 2 days ago so I doubted it. 

My back was going nowhere in a hurry. I started with my exercises. Steph made coffee, and got the diagnostic scanner and a couple of other tools. 

Once I was limbered, we headed off to Gastonia. On the odd chance she was right, I stopped and got some Seafoam, Well, Steph did, I sat in the truck. 

We got to her car just as another guy pulled up behind her. I pulled up in front, the other guy went back to his truck. It was a bit sketchy.

The car started right up and idled perfectly. I told them to get in and Steph to drive Christine. We were getting off of I-85,

The car behaved perfectly until I got up to 55. Then it started missing. We pulled into a church parking lot and hooked up the scanner. IT showed a misfire on #5. I had no idea which cylinder that was. 

Our other neighbor, Sherri, showed up to get Janice to take her to the doc. Her daughter, Amanda, followed us back home. I kept it slow on purpose. I did notice she fell way back then started catching up. She said it ran perfectly till she got to 55. Then it started missing. I told her if she had to drive ti to keep it to 45 max. With it raining I am not taking it apart today. 

SO I came in and perched in my recliner. At 1:15 Steph left to take Amanda to work, and go get groceries.

A friend, who knows I have had brake problems, sent me this today.

26904344_1604269726305056_6546306770552430464_n.jpg

Edited by UncleWillie, January 11, 2018 - 02:05 PM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#5275 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted January 12, 2018 - 06:35 PM

Huzzah.

bbb36d4cd2bd4a9a9ac249a345c0a714.png

This morning we woke up to rain. When it slacked up I told Steph to go next door and get the neighbors car and put it in the car port. I worked on getting my back to function. 

I got out and looked at the Kia Optima and figured out there was no way to get the coil pack off of the #5 cylinder with the intake in place. So we pulled it off. 

While I was taking that off I told Steph to go put the drum and tire back on BettyBlue so I could put it under the carport when we were finished. 

The coil pack didn't have any visible problems, so we pulled the plug. It was fouled. Steph had the take the neighbors daughter to work anyway, so she left to get parts. I pulled the other plugs out and then came in to wait. 

She got back and we put in new plugs. I switched the #6 coil pack and the #5 so that if the coil was bad we didn't have to take the intake off again to replace it. 

We got it all back together and I backed out of the carport. I didn't even get out of the yard before it started missing. I pulled back in the carport. 

When I pulled the coil pack out I noticed it had a bent terminal. I straightened it back out and then swapped it with #4. 

I went down the road again and the check engine light came on. I had the scanner with me so I pulled over and plugged it in. Sure enough the misfire was on #4. So I drove to Autozone and got one. 

I changed it in the parking lot and cleared the codes again. 

And

26857312_10156281242449739_995780016_n (1).jpg

Fixed.

I came back home and we put the engine cover back on it. 

I took it next door and Janice was ecstatic. Now we just have to find her a set of tires and replace the brakes. 

The yard was such a swamp, and the rain had started pouring again, that I didn't bother moving BettyBlue. To be honest I don't know if she will move from where she is sitting without a tow.

• olcowhand, Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#5276 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,839 Thanks
  • 5,421 posts

Posted January 12, 2018 - 09:17 PM

FB_IMG_1515163769224.jpg
  • KennyP, UncleWillie and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#5277 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 7,120 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 10:51 AM

The rear brake hose would affect both wheels. I'd suspect an E brake problem. Make sure the tops of both shoes go back tight against the stop at the top of the backing plate.

• olcowhand said thank you

#5278 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 06:37 PM

Sometimes it takes fresh eyes...

19skhz.jpg

I slept in today. I was a bit tired. 

Steph had pulled the back tires and drums off of BettyBlue already. She came in and told me she thought she found the problem. She said the adjuster was not lined up where it belonged. Then she said she put it back where it went.

So I finished up my PT exercises and went out.

I didn't think the adjuster was the problem. It wasn't. I just didn't push it back up after i backed the brakes off.

However, when I sat down I noticed that the parking brake lever was up above the shoe. I got down and looked and saw the paring brake return spring was completely compressed. When I took it apart the parking lever was just dangling unattached to anything.

I went to the other side and looked at the parking brake adjuster. 

IT was run all the way in.

26937239_10156283641969739_659996056_o (1).jpg

Then I looked at the cable return spring. It was miles off the stop. 

26803758_10156283642424739_1313949412_n.jpg

I had Steph look at Spooky since it is the same truck. Sure enough BB was run all the way in. 

So I backed it off till the parking brake would not work, then tightened it till it did. 

Steph took this pic at a different angle, but you can see the threaded part is a lot further out of the adjuster, almost 2 inches. 

26793444_10156283642869739_1619218056_n (1).jpg

And the return spring is much closer to the stop.

26794183_10156283643319739_1882918631_n.jpg

I got a laugh out of the ID disc. If I can find a WJ I will have my initials. 

I took it for a test drive and it works perfectly. Slamming on the brakes will throw the tailgate through the windshield. 

I drove up to the car wash and blasted off all the brake fluid.

I got back and took a break for a few minutes. Then I took my new borescope out to TheKracken and looked in the sparkplug holes. Things in there look much better than they did in TheJollyGreenGiant. 

Then I brought the power steering bracket for Christine in and dropped it in a sink of hot soapy water. I have to check it for cracks before I put it back on tomorrow. 

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#5279 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,988 Thanks
  • 47,152 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 06:45 PM