wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 06:16 PM

I may be finished for the day...

coffee-yes-you-maybe-vut-canvas.jpg

Yesterday Steph attempted to replace the thermostat in Emily's car. Unfortunately a bolt broke off in the head. I told her it could wait til today.

This morning Heath's school was on a 2 hour delay due to the cold. Since it was the first day back to school after the holidays there were some heating issues.

Steph had an interview, so she left. 

Emily was coming back from her New York holiday. She told me I needed to pick her up at 10 at her cousins house. At 9 I went ahead and took Heath to school rather than waiting for the bus.

I came back home to get my thermos, and Emily said not to come till 11. So i sat and had a cup or three. 

I got up to get her and headed home. I stopped at Ace to get the bolt that had broken off. I went ahead and got two. I figured if one had been twisted hard enough to break, the other one probably had been too. 

Graham called and said they had no water. He thought the well had frozen. I told him I would look at it when I got home. 

Steph got home before I did. 

We went across the street and looked at the water situation. The pipes were not frozen. I looked at the pressure switch and it was bad. I called him and told him to get one. 

We went back to Emily's car. I had a couple of left handed drill bits and a right angle drill. However, there wasn't enough room to get the drill in. I decided to cut off the drill bit about an inch. Then I drilled it as far as I dared, about 1/8 of an inch since it was only a 6mm bolt. It worked. I had to go in at an angle, which I didn't like, so I only went in about 1/8 of an inch. Then I managed to get the easy out in and the bolt came right out. 

With the thermostat replaced I headed off on a test drive. 

I noticed the airbag light was on. We just took it to the dealership to have the recall replacement done of the airbags. I called Steph and told her to call the dealership.

The car didn't overheat. Problem solved. 

I got back home and opened the hood to check for leaks. the engine had coolant on it. I looked for a leak and never found one. I guess it didn't get hot enough to burn off all the coolant that we sprayed on it changing the thermostat.

Graham got home and I went over and took the switch off his well pump. He left to get a new one. 

When he got back I put it on and it worked perfectly.

I was supposed to go get two cars tonight, but the guy hasn't called. Maybe he will, and maybe he won't. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#5252 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 09:15 PM

Never did get the cars last night. 

jag2.jpg

I woke up this morning barely able to move. After managing to get to the massaging cushion I was down for most of the day. Everytime I had to stand my back just screamed.

I had a call to get a car today. I called the guy and told him we would come after Heath got off the bus. I needed Steph's help, or so I thought. 

He got home and we headed out.

The drive to Midland was about a hour and a half. It was uneventful.

When we got there he had a guy who was getting an engine from him. It turns out that he has some uppity neighbors who are trying to sell a house for $500k next door. They have already called the cops for everything he has done, every time he starts his race car, every time he shoots (out in the middle of nowhere), there is nothing that the cops can do because he isn't breaking any laws, However, if they complain about the mess it will be a different sorry.

He had an 86 Jaguar xj12 that he bought just to get the steering rack off of it. 

IT was facing the wrong way, but he had a huge military surplus forklift He just picked it up and set it up on the dolly. 

jag1.jpg

jag.jpg

Ain't it sexy. 

It is supposed to run, so I am going to try to start it. Then I will decide if I want to part it or what. 

He also had lots of tires we brought home with it. We are going back at a later day to get more stuff. 

On the way home the brakes on BettyBlue started grumbling. I will take it apart and look at it Friday. I ain't doing anything tomorrow. 

We stopped at Harbor Freight to grab a couple of things. Then to Steak and Shake to get dinner. 

We got back home and parked around back. 

#5253 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 09:19 PM

Dang, Willie's got a Jag!  Not an every day thing to say the least!

• Craig., KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5254 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 01:34 PM

Paging LarryBL,

The Texas Hate Poppy is doing well. The outdoor cat dumped it on the ground, so it got moved indoors for a while. It was almost completely buried, I had to remove about 1/4 of the dirt in the pot.

26610526_1571241336278029_253793857_o.jpg

• olcowhand, larrybl, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#5255 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,242 Thanks
  • 45,869 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 02:05 PM

Mine is still growing.

• olcowhand, larrybl and Craig. have said thanks

#5256 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,973 Thanks
  • 4,408 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 04:08 PM

You have to try really hard to kill a cactus. Even after tilling the roots up from a large patch, if one of the petals are left on the ground it will start growing new roots.  

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#5257 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 07:34 PM

You have to try really hard to kill a cactus. Even after tilling the roots up from a large patch, if one of the petals are left on the ground it will start growing new roots.  

I wasn't really worried about it dying, but after its upside down adventure you could only see the spines. LOL. 

• larrybl and Craig. have said thanks

#5258 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,973 Thanks
  • 4,408 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 10:19 PM

I'll get a picture on the one I have left in my yard this weekend to see how it did with the three days of freezing temps this weekend. Sure there are more in the back 40.

• Craig. said thank you

#5259 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted January 05, 2018 - 06:05 PM

Round and round we go. 

ctrl-alt-defeat-caps-coffeetea-mug.jpg

This morning, after Steph got back from running a couple of errands (including going to get the tire trailer from the tire guy), we got out and got going. 

First we tossed some scrap metal out of a bed liner and into the dump trailer. Then we tossed the aluminum rims out of the tire trailer into the bed-liner. I foired up Gertie and we harvested the water heater crop and tossed them into the dump trailer. Gertie got hooked to TheKracken (which has been sitting in the carport) and pulled it around to the front yard, temporarily out of the way. Bettu blue got unhooked from teh tow dolly/Jaguar, and moved in front of the carport in the sun. Finally, teh trire trailer got backed up to BettyBLue and the tires on BB got offloaded.

Finally, we got to work on BB. 

The back brakes have not worked right since I bought the truck. And it had no parking brake. When I pulled the drum I found that the adjuster was frozen and there was barely any pressure going to the brake line. We began to investigate the lack of pressure. 

It was cold enough that, when I got out my vacuum pump to try to pull fluid through, I had to heat the lines up with my heat gun to get the hoses to flex.

I took the T for the rear brake lines loose and no pressure there. We worked our way forward till we got to the proportioning valve. It had no pressure on the brake side. Plenty on the master cylinder side. I looked at all the parts trucks, and the setup was different. Unfortunately, Spooky had the same setup. I hate to steal parts off her, but BB makes the money right now. 

Heath got home while we worked. 

It took way to long to transfer the part over. I managed to kink a hard-line and we had to steal that too. After way too long, we got the valve on and got back to the rear brakes.

After we had pressure I found that the wheel cylinders were bad. At that point I was done. It was 430 and the sun was on the way down. It was only going to get colder. We packed it in.

Tomorrow we will try to finish that up, and I have to go install a gas stove, work on one neighbors brakes, and tow another neighbors truck back from Walmart where it broke down. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#5260 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 05:32 PM

Long day. 

maxresdefault.jpg

We woke up this morning to no water. I went out and checked the well and the pressure switch was frozen. I hit it and it came on. I left it on long enough to make coffee. I did not realize that Steph had shut off the bathroom faucet. Since the switch didn't work it blew the pop off valve on the well. Turns out that the pressure tank was frozen too. It got a bit cold last night. 

Last night Katie, who I have known since she was 3, told me she had a new stove headed to her house this morning. So I went down to Fallston. I got there just as the truck was pulling in the driveway. They carried the new stove in and carted the old one out. 

She thought they were going to install it. But the guy got mad and yelled that they didn't install gas stoves. I refrained from slapping him. 

I needed some PTFE tape for the fittings, so I headed to Lowe's after they left 

I got the stuff to fix my well too. None of the PTFE had bar-codes on them. Usually that isn't a problem. Today ti was. IT took me 20 minutes to get checked out while they tried to figure out what it was. 

Back at her house I hooked up the stove and checked for leaks. There were none. She tested the stove. IT worked. I headed home. 

After I fixed the well we moved to BettyBlue. 

The back went together fairly smoothly. Whoever worked on it last did not put it back together correctly. Fortunately I have a factory service manual that showed the correct way. 

We moved to the front. I pulled off the passengers side tire and the rotor looked bad. IT was cracked and had been really hot on more than one occasion. So I went to the drivers side. The rotor was bad, but not as bad. I called around and found two of them in Lincolnton. 

I took the drivers side apart with no problems. Steph started in on the passengers side. After she had the front bearing off she would not get the rotor off. I got on to and sure enough ti was stuck somehow. I got the big dead blow mallet and it came off. The bearing was stuck to the hub. 

She grabbed the bearing puller and the bearing came right off with little difficulty. I don't know if they used the wrong bearing or if it was starting to seize.

While Steph picked up tools I walked next door and told Janice I was not going to be able to work on her car today. I did look at her rotors through the wheels. They are not pretty. 

I still have to get teh other neighbors truck from Walmart, but I have to have BB running first. 

After taking all the braking system apart I am surprised we have not died in a fiery crash. OR at least wound up in the wrong state from it not stopping. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#5261 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,973 Thanks
  • 4,408 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 07:53 PM

I hate working in vehicles in the cold. I did change a slant 6 in a Dodge in WVa back in the day, Lots of snow and cold... but I digress. Hope you get the brakes sorted out. Here is the last yard cactus in the front yard, hard to see. Me and Sammy took a walk through the back 40. The freeze we had didn't affect them. This is what the whole property looked like when we moved here over 20 years ago. Oh, and here are the record cold for our area. Stay warm. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1310.jpg
  • IMG_1312.jpg
  • IMG_1316.jpg
  • IMG_1317.jpg
  • IMG_1320.jpg
  • IMG_1323.jpg
  • IMG_1325.jpg
  • 26230080_10156078713070742_1974761503729154961_n.jpg

• Craig., KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5262 Z71 Sierra ONLINE  

Z71 Sierra
  • Member No: 84173
  • 184 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 11:01 PM

1962 Corvair ramp side truck. Anyone here id the garden tractor?FB_IMG_1515293812502.jpg
  • Craig. said thank you

#5263 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,966 Thanks
  • 9,998 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 12:34 AM

Rear discharge deck..... WH?
  • Craig. said thank you

#5264 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

G-agressive tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 9,311 Thanks
  • 4,948 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 01:55 AM

1962 Corvair ramp side truck. Anyone here id the garden tractor?attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1515293812502.jpg

Farmette

Attached Thumbnails

• a1a1a1a1a12.jpg

• Craig., CRFarnsworth, Cat385B and 1 other said thanks

#5265 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 09:01 PM

1962 Corvair ramp side truck. Anyone here id the garden tractor?attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1515293812502.jpg

I delivered one of those trucks to a guys house about 10 years ago. He said he was going to restore it. 

couple-coffee-shop-mobile-phone-addict-woman-ignoring-frustrated-man-asking-help-young-american-internet-women-85485206.jpg

Today we got out to "finish"the brakes on BettyBlue. 

Right off the bat I found that two of the wheel bearings we got last night were not the right ones. So Steph headed off to get the right ones. For some reason she came back with one, and a location of the second. I told her to go get it. Not much I can do with one. 

I went ahead and packed the ones I had and got the passengers side put together. 

She got back and I put the drivers side rotor on. Then I found that the caliper slide bolts were stuck. I got them out and cleaned them up. Then I saw the threads were FUBAR. So I sent Steph off to get new ones. 

While she was gone I started to put the pads on the caliper. The caliper was stuck. I had a new one I bought for Spooky. Fortunately it was for the drivers side. I put it on.

Steph got back and we bled the brakes. 

Finally, I got to go for a test drive. I went down the road and stepped on the pedal, and it went straight to the floor. I backed slowly back into the driveway.

Steph said it looked like the drivers caliper was leaking. So I slowly pulled around back and we got it up on the jack again. There was definitely a leak, but I could not figure out from where. I finally had her start the truck and just pump the pedal. 

The leak was running down the brake line, dripping inside the frame, and running down the lower a arm. I like to have never found where it was coming from. 

I found a leak coming from the master cylinder area. It was the proportional valve. The front lower line had pulled out and pulled all the threads out with it. It looked just like a little sleeve.

I took the bad valve apart and attempted to clean it. I put it back on. I had front brakes and no rears. I can deal with that for a day or two. 

Then I went and got, Barney, the neighbor. His truck broke down in Walmart's parking lot. 

We went up and took a look. He said the battery was dead. It was 7 years old, so he bought a new one. It still didn't start, even with a jump. 

SO it went up on the tow dolly and got dragged home. 

Tomorrow I have to take Barney to the VA for an appointment. Then I will try to locate a brake valve for my truck. I can't find one anywhere new. It looks like a junk yard is my only hope. 

Steph cooked rabbit stew for dinner. I just finished off the last of it. I will probably be dipping into my pain meds again tonight, My back is really hurting.