UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 05:53 PM

I don't mean every young person has no ability to work, but it is the vast majority that has no ability or concept of work .

The ones on this forum are a cut above.

• tractorgarden, backwoods and oldedeeres have said thanks

#512 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 05:59 PM

I wasn't be defensive. I was just saying my state of mind. I was basically saying I would work my fingers to the bone to support my family. Most people would sit on the arse and let the government to support them. I am not one of those people and that's why I have worked so hard to get where I am today.

I wasn't  personally offended by what was said.

Edited by SearsYellow, March 26, 2013 - 06:00 PM.

• tractorgarden said thank you

#513 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,593 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 06:02 PM

I wasn't  personally offended by what was said.

I didn't feel you were offended at all, but I felt compelled to respond just the same.  I never try to offend anyone, so I like to be double certain I am understood.   :thumbs:

#514 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 06:03 PM

You better not be defensive. You are close enough for me to come educate. LOL :dancingbanana: :cowboy_shooter:

• SearsYellow said thank you

#515 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 07:18 PM

I could not agree with you more Willie!  VERY well said!

:iagree:

Geno

#516 backwoods ONLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 09:27 PM

thinking back to when i was a kid i did what ever i could to get money for vacations or if i wanted something. my lil bro on the other hand expects every thing handed to him has no work ethic what so ever and imo he thinks life is a game. im 28 hes 21 not much age difference but must be enough to make him lazy as a coon hound. i was 20 when i got my first cell phone he was 14 i think wtf is wrong with that picture? i was in 5th grade when my school got its first computer and only one for student use. technology has reunied todays youth between game consoles i pods i pads or what other elec. device they carry.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#517 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 09:40 PM

Back when I was a kid...... I did frog jiggin, Cat Fishing, Swimming in a Beaver Dam, Hiking through the woods (and getting chased by ghosts). Riding Ponies to the stock sale (and getting wasted on Boons Farm). Taking the Landloards Farmall for rides). Buying a LOT of carbide at the local hardware store (and getting caught in the rain)

There are a lot of good stories is each of these, But I enjoy following this thread.   

• tractorgarden and oldedeeres have said thanks

#518 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,837 Thanks
  • 3,189 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 11:14 PM

We think you hit the nail on the head, Willie. One thing your country did that we have always admired was your armed services--- young people learned national pride, which led to personal pride, which seemed to lead to pride in a job well done. Seems there's not so many young people getting that military training anymore.

#519 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 06:20 PM

Life is a highway, I drove on it all day long.

Up this morning and poured down copious quantities of black elixir and then Heath was corraled in his bedroom while Steph and I went to get an engine out of the field.

My friend who owns the garage, Micheal, asked me yesterday if I had a Vortec 350 for sale. I did. So we had to retrieve it from the truck bed where it has been slumbering for a while. First thing I had to do was get some gas for the tractors. SO I ran and got $20 worth in the can and fueled the DragonFly and the Hemorrhoid and we sallied forth into the field.

We pulled the topper off the bed and then backed the mobile crane over the tailgate and hooked the engine up. Our chain was about 2 links too small so it was difficult to get it hooked up. Steph started to lift the engine and the crane immediately flipped up. The nut that was on the bolt that goes through the sleeve hitch had come off and was lost. SO after a brief search we had a replacement. She took the Hemorrhoid and went up to the shop while I looked through some buckets. I won.

Finally got the engine airborne and then headed up the hill. She took the faster, and unloaded, Hemorrhoid up and grabbed Christine while the DragonFly and I slowly made our way up the hill at half the speed of a wounded snail. Too fast and things started bouncing and that is bad.

Once I got up the hill we put the ending in Christine's bed and the extra brake rotor off of Buddy;s truck that was my payment for the repair I did, and I was off – with the thermos strapped in the seat belt on the passengers side. Hammer down and Newton bound.

Stopped at Autozone and returned the rotor. Since they had paid with a credit card AZ had to put it back on the card. So I called Buddy and he said he would bring me some money and I could put his door panel back on.

I got to Micheal’s shop and the first thing he asked was if I had brought the spindles he wanted. I forgot them. Again. I told him I would being them back later, grabbed my hand full of cash and headed out.

Stopped at O'riellys to get some panel clip's for Buddy's truck. They only had 3. So I went next door to a different AZ and got a package.

Since I had to go back to the house where I got the No Talent race car I figured I had better get some kind of trailer lights in case the same State Trooper was working today. I made a stop at TSC to get a trailer plug adapter, magnetic trailer lights, and a longer piece of chain.

They only had the plug adapter. Their chain was outrageous. SO with the adapter in hand ( and a recipt) I headed back to Christine for the short trip to Lowes.

I called Steph to get her to look up anywhere else in Lincolnton that may have magnetic lights. She called back a short time later and said the only set in town was $60, but they were $19 at HF.

At Lowes I grabbed 10 feet of chain for the crane for $10.

Then back out to Christine for the drive to Gastonia.

Landed in HF's parking lot and went in. They had a regular set of lights for $19 and an LED set for $30. I got the LEDs. Last set of magnetic lights I had kept blowing bulbs from the vibration.

Made my way back home and got out of Christine and into the BlueOx.

Fired it up and we all headed back to Newton.

We stopped for gas and a gal who I get junk cars from on occasion saw me and came over to see what I was doing – and to tell me that she needed an engine. I just got rid of one. She should have told me a month ago.

After we left the gas station I got a call from another friend who has hit a real rough patch. His Explorer (that he was living in three weeks ago) quit running. The shop that looked at it told him the part (intake manifold) would cost $800 + labor. I told him they were on drugs and I would find a cheaper part.

Got to Micheal’s shop and dropped off the Honda spindles and then saddled up and headed for Conover.

I told the guy I would be there at 430. I got there at 439.

We started to unload the ramps and while I was taking the straps off them Steph decided to pull the top ramp – while my hand was between them. I said ouch and we proceeded to set the ramps up.

The Mitsubishi I was getting ran so I hopped in and turned the key. It had no exhaust and it was loud. I also found that the gas and brake were so close together that I could not step on one at a time. Loading the car was interesting. At least it was a 5 speed so I could step on the clutch to slow down and pull the handbrake to stop.

With the car loaded and strapped down Steph put the magnetic lights on top and then took Heath out of the truck to stretch his legs. We were on a dead end road with only 2 houses on it so it was safe. Heath walked about 1/8 mile down the road with Steph in tow. After then got to the end of the road I drove down and got them.

Right as we merged onto the interstate I noticed that the light on the drivers side of the car was not flashing. The passengers side was. Steph put them on backwards. So I had to signal right to go left. We got a good laugh .

Finally – after nearly 250 miles of driving we got home.

After 15 minutes of searching online I found an intake manifold for $50. Tomorrow I will go get his truck from the garage that has it and we will fix it here.

Spaghetti for supper.

Bed will be early.

• olcowhand, KennyP, tractorgarden and 1 other said thanks

#520 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 05:12 PM

Only managed to get one thing accomplished today.

Got up this morning and staggered outside into the world and got started disassembling a Mitsubishi Gallant. It was a “race car”. Some of the stuff I found in it was scary. Different sized bolts in everything. Missing bolts. Half assembled parts. Exciting stuff.

And this RTV filled motor mount. Guess he couldn't afford a new one.

IMG_20130328_174559_078_zpsa12278f4.jpg

IMG_20130328_174617_807_zps0bbda07b.jpg

Now the car is completely disassembled and in various buckets and bins to go off to the scrap yard, smelter, and core buyer.

I am on my shiatsu pad feeling like I was run down by an elephant wearing tap shoes. Too tired/sore to type more.

• KennyP, tractorgarden and oldedeeres have said thanks

#521 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,399 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 05:18 PM

I know those type of days, Willie! Last two seem like a marathon. Hope to finish the house tomorrow.

#522 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,593 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 07:43 PM

Too tired/sore to type more.

I hear ya....me too.  I'll likely pass out in my recliner very shortly.

• UncleWillie said thank you

#523 backwoods ONLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 08:53 PM

sounds like they did a poor mans race car build taking time for yourself to relax is always a goo thing i still need to rest but i have break from class next week so i might take a day to do nothing

#524 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 05:23 PM

Well today I did a lot and have nothign to show for it.

Spent most of the morning on the phone with one person or another while I attempted to drink coffee.

Finally got out of the house around 1 and got the Gallant strapped down and a couple of other things tossed on the trailer to go to the scrap yard.

We all loaded up and headed to the yard – only to get there and find out they are closed today. Good Friday.

SO we headed back home. I Made arrangements to borrow a friends trailer to go get another friends broken truck tomorrow morning. It does mean I have to get up at t he crack on early on a Saturday though. Bleh.

We dropped the loaded trailer in the yard then went to get the loaner trailer.

When we got home I remembered there was a screw in front drivers tire in the BlueOx. So I plugged it. While I did that Steph found a nail in the Passengers side rear. So while she put Heath down for his nap I plugged that one too. No idea how I didn't get a flat. While I had all the stuff out I plugged a tire on the little tractor wagon too.

With all the tires plugged we got down to the process of tearing down some more aluminum parts. Namely another transmission and some odd car parts. That done. I am headed inside to rest up so I can be up early.
  • olcowhand, bgkid2966, backwoods and 1 other said thanks

#525 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 03:21 PM

I knew I had to get up early this morning so I decided to go to bed early last night. Great plan. Didn't work out so great though. After 4 hours I was wide awake.

I laid in the bed and stared at the ceiling fan. Then I rolled over and stared at the back of Steph's head. I let my mind wander. I thought of cars, trucks, tractors, old girlfriends, girls I wished had been girlfriends, TV shows, favorite songs. Then I thought of jobs I have to go soon, ways to lift things I don't have the equipment to lift. I thought of diet and exercise and decided I was against it. I thought of sex and decided I was for it. Then I looked at my clock. A whole 30 minutes had gone by and I was no closer to being asleep.

I got up and found my bottle of sleeping medicine. I drank the last couple of shots and went back to bed. I didn't go to sleep but I didn't care any more.

Around 3am Heath woke up and started playing in his crib. I listened to him for a long time. Finally he went back to sleep. I didn't

Eventually the alarm went off and I got up and made coffee and started my day. I had been awake for 8 hours so far.

I had to go down to SC and get a friends truck that broke down. If you haven't been in Rock Hill, SC lately you don't know about all the road construction they are doing. It has been a while since I was down there so I didn't fully know about it either. It seems they are playing a game of move the road. One of the roads they moved was my shortcut. I have no idea what the name of the road is I found it by landmarks. The landmarks are gone too.

Spent an extra hour truing to find my way out of the maze and got to the hotel they were at late.

Finally picked them up then went and got their Explorer and brought it back here.

215 miles before lunch.

After taking them to where their other truck was I came back home and got to work cleaning up the mess we made working yesterday.

After that I decided to tinker with the Lawn Machine. Found a rotted fuel line.

Steph needed a prescription picked up and we also needed a rake so I hopped in Christine and left again.

Walmart for a rake, gas station for a slash of fuel and a Monster Energy drink to keep my eyeballs open, Autozone for fuel line, then a dash to the pharmacy. They asked me her birthday. I couldn't remember. I told them February 28. They told me I was wrong. SO I called Steph and asked. January 28. The cashier told me I was in trouble. I knew 2/28 was someones birthday but I couldn't remember who. ON the way home it dawned on me. My ex wife. Yikes!

The mower doesn't want to start. I am too tired to think straight to figure out why. It will start but wont stay running.

As I was giving up on the tractor for the day Reds new owners showed up. After talking to the guy I think he will have a good home. Red seemed to like him.

Now I am going to sit here in a daze till bedtime. IF I go to bed early I will just wake up early again.

• olcowhand, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks