#5221 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted December 15, 2017 - 09:05 PM

Very glad Heath is gonna be aok!  I hope you can get that Suburban going soon so you have a safer/stronger towing vehicle.  Bet you do too!

BettyBlue is a great work truck, she is just a one wheel drive. Maybe if I add tank treads.....

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5222 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted December 15, 2017 - 09:35 PM

BettyBlue is a great work truck, she is just a one wheel drive. Maybe if I add tank treads.....

How do you mean "one wheel drive"?

#5223 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted December 15, 2017 - 09:52 PM

How do you mean "one wheel drive"?

Open diff. when it looses traction only one wheel spins. If I can find an axle with a locker it will improve things a bunch. 

#5224 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted December 15, 2017 - 09:54 PM

Open diff. when it looses traction only one wheel spins. If I can find an axle with a locker it will improve things a bunch.

Gotcha....had my rattled brain rattling.

#5225 916hydro OFFLINE  

916hydro
  • Member No: 87046
  • 74 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted December 16, 2017 - 12:12 AM

Any rear out of the same year 4x4 will have either a posi or a gov lock. Pretty sure it'll bolt right into the 2wd only big difference will be 6 lug wheels
  • Craig. said thank you

#5226 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,242 Thanks
  • 45,869 posts

Posted December 16, 2017 - 06:16 AM

Glad to hear Heath doesn't have cancer! Hope they figure it out soon.

• Craig. said thank you

#5227 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 1,092 Thanks
  • 835 posts

Posted December 16, 2017 - 04:48 PM

Any rear out of the same year 4x4 will have either a posi or a gov lock. Pretty sure it'll bolt right into the 2wd only big difference will be 6 lug wheels

You just change the axles. I put an axle from a 2 wheel drive in a Blazer and just swapped axle but didn't do anything with the gearing. My 99 is 4 x 4 and supposed to have posi but it is 2 wheel drive in 4H.

• Craig. said thank you

#5228 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted December 16, 2017 - 07:04 PM

I will find an axle that will swap right in eventually. I want the same gear ratio it has now. It won't be all that hard to find, I just haven't looked much yet. 

• Craig. said thank you

#5229 916hydro OFFLINE  

916hydro
  • Member No: 87046
  • 74 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 03:56 AM

[quote name="UncleWillie" post="809725" timestamp="1513469047"]

I will find an axle that will swap right in eventually. I want the same gear ratio it has now. It won't be all that hard to find, I just haven't looked much yet. [/quote

That's why I love those trucks, parts are everywhere and pretty cheap at this point
  • Craig. said thank you

#5230 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 05:10 PM

And the weekend is gone. 

coffee2.jpg

Yesterday we were going to work on taking some engines apart. However, Steph told me she had to go to Walmart. So she went. What she didn't tell me is she was going to go to 14 other stores in Gastonia as well. By the time she got home it was getting dark, and she had tools I needed in BettyBlue. So I sat and watched tv with Heath.

By evening Heath was wide open. I can tell he is feeling better because he is running around in his underwear and not bundled up in PJ's and a blanket. 

This morning we got up and staggered around a bit, then we all went outside. Heath wasn't really excited about it, but he stayed out for a while. 

We got all the crank shafts pulled out of the aluminum engines. It took longer than I thought it would because a couple of the engines were frozen and had to be beaten apart. Good to take out frustrations on.

One we had that done we took a look in the meth Jeep. There were a bunch of tools and about 15 beanie babies sill in the plastic.  Also a brand new Reece tow bar. I will be putting that one on Craigslist later. 

The meth addict evidently had a hard time getting the battery to make contact.

battery.jpg

Then we went down the hill with Gertie and got the two big steel baskets full of irony aluminum and put it on the dump trailer.

Then we loaded up a bunch more irony aluminum that was laying around. by then we were exhausted and decided to stop for the day. Tomorrow morning we have a bunch of electric motors to load up as well. 

Tonight we are watching big tow truck videos on Youtube. Heath loves them and it is better than watching kiddie cartoons. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor and Craig. have said thanks

#5231 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 10:06 PM

Don't do drugs kids.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#5232 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

G-agressive tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 9,311 Thanks
  • 4,948 posts

Posted December 18, 2017 - 12:56 AM

This has been a public service announcement from Uncle Willie.

The story you heard is totally true.

Only the names were changed to protect the innocent.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#5233 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted December 18, 2017 - 05:30 PM

I like days like this. 

save-more-money.jpg

This morning I was slow getting moving. I had to stretch and re-stretch to get upright and mobile.  Then it still hurt to move. 

When I finally did get outside,we hooked BettyBlue to the Jeep and headed off to the scrap yard. 

The scrap yard was having some kind of weird employee problems today.

We dropped the Jeep off on the scale due to the dangerous hill we had to go down after the scale. I won't take anything bigger than a small car down it on the dolly. Once it was unloaded we pulled around to the small scale to unload radiators and clean aluminum.

While we were there the owners wife came out and asked the guy running the scale about some cans he weighed. He didn't subtract the tare from them. She came out three more times and asked about different things. Then she came out and asked why they didn't weigh my truck back out after I dropped off the Jeep. I guess she thought my truck, dolly, and the jeep only weighed around 3500 pounds. It took them a bit to convince her that I dropped the Jeep on the scale. 

We got our money and headed home.

I had to climb up on Gertie. The dump trailers jack is not long enough to lift it up over the hitch ballm so it sits on a 6x6 block. When I was loading it I knocked it off the block. So I had to pick it up while Steph put the block under it. My back didn't like climbing up there. 

Then we got it hooked to BettyBlue and headed out. 

Back on the scale there was some discussion as to where I should dump 3800 pounds of irony aluminum. I told the where they had me dump it last time. The guy at the scale house said to take ti there again, we did. 

At the pay window there was lots of discussion with the owners wife, the gal who runs the window, and another guy from the yard. They told me I had to go to where I unloaded, because it was in the wrong spot. 

So I walked out. The guy never said a word to me, he talked to the guy in the grappler and asked what I had unloaded. It was confirmed that it was irony aluminum. I walked back to the pay window. Then the bosses wife went storming out the back door of the building and stormed to where I had unloaded. I could hear her yelling. I didn't go over. Finally she said something over the radio and the gal in the pay window gave me the check. They made the guy who told me to dump it in the wrong place go move all of it. I kind of felt bad for him.

We did get a bonus though, the scrap yard is doing a 12 days of Christmas where they ay a little extra on some item each day. Today the price of Irony aluminum was $.14 a pound instead of $.11. 

We then drove over to Buddy's house. He had some scrap he wanted me to pick up, and he needed a key for his tractor, he lost his. I had one on my key ring so I gave it to him.  

We got home and got the tire trailer strapped down and hooked to BB. Heath got home while we did that. 

Then I had Steph help me get the trash compactor, that sprouted up in the yard, up on the work table. She went off to do something else once it was up there. 

I took the motor cover off and pushed on the wiring connectors. Then I plugged it in and pushed start  It started working. 

I called Steph over. We got the mat off Heath's old trampoline, that I had saved because I knew I could use it for something even with a huge hole in it, and cut a liner for the compactor. Then we crushed cans. Heath thought it was great. 

I crushed 2 55 gallon drums into a half a 55 gallon drum. I was hoping it would brick the cans, but it doesn't have enough pressure to make the stay together. It is faster than crushing them by hand though. 

Steph and Heath left to go shopping. There is a sale at the meat market.

It was a lot of work to get ready to go to the scrap yard today, but man did it pay off well.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#5234 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 2,046 Thanks
  • 2,173 posts

Posted December 18, 2017 - 10:29 PM

All I could do is shake my head, usually give me no issues at the local scrap yard, last load I hauled the young guy there decided to pick my load apart, and told me that I had to take any steel cable back with me because it would jam there shredder, had to scale 5 times, I wasn't exactly a happy camper.

#5235 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 2,046 Thanks
  • 2,173 posts

Posted December 18, 2017 - 10:32 PM

Btw,this was steel and tin, he just decided that most of it was long steel and every other time they bought stuff like it as short steel.