Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,796 Thanks
  • 4,777 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 08:36 PM

People are putting Crown Vic chassis like that under Ford short bed F series pickups right and left.  Has modern brakes and independent suspension, and the correct wheelbase for short beds. 

They prefer cop cars as they have heavier springs/bigger brakes.

• Alc, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5133 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,188 Thanks
  • 8,586 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 09:21 PM

People are putting Crown Vic chassis like that under Ford short bed F series pickups right and left.  Has modern brakes and independent suspension, and the correct wheelbase for short beds. 

They prefer cop cars as they have heavier springs/bigger brakes.

Well I have one you can buy and get right on that. 

"It's got a cop motor,.... It's got cop tirescop suspension, cop shocks."

• Gtractor, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5134 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,872 Thanks
  • 5,514 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 11:10 PM

Well I have one you can buy and get right on that. 

"It's got a cop motor,.... It's got cop tirescop suspension, cop shocks."

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5135 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15,188 Thanks
  • 8,586 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 04:12 PM

Well. 

il_570xN.983142512_ez0l.jpg

Steph is gone in the only running truck. Parts are not in for the Suburban. It is raining. So.....

DAY OFF. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#5136 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,537 Thanks
  • 4,397 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 07:23 PM

"I love a rainy day"......  Who sings that anyway?  It's a bit of an ear worm, but I can identify with the sentiment.  Enjoy your day off Willie.

• Craig., KennyP and UncleWillie have said thanks

#5137 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 9,872 Thanks
  • 5,514 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 07:47 PM

After posting that little BB clip I found THIS

It seems to have a few more scenes than I remember seeing long ago..  Spend 2.5 hours reliving the past & enjoy!

Another pearl..  Wanna buy a Blues-mobile?  

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, November 09, 2017 - 07:59 PM.

• Craig., KennyP, UncleWillie and 1 other said thanks

#5138 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 773 Thanks
  • 264 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 09:42 PM

"I love a rainy day"......  Who sings that anyway?  It's a bit of an ear worm, but I can identify with the sentiment.  Enjoy your day off Willie.

Dunno, but I love a rainy night was Eddie rabbit?
  • olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#5139 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 9,872 Thanks
  • 5,514 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 10:17 PM

Dunno, but I love a rainy night was Eddie rabbit?

Eddie 'loved a rainy night'

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#5140 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 939 Thanks
  • 727 posts

Posted November 10, 2017 - 12:30 PM

Here you go.

• Craig., CRFarnsworth, EricR and 1 other said thanks

#5141 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15,188 Thanks
  • 8,586 posts

Posted November 12, 2017 - 11:42 AM

And in review...

swampwater.jpg

Thursday night I got a call from a friend who recently moved out to the coast. His wife was in town for a doctors visit and their Furd Exploder stopped running on the interstate. He said he thought it was the battery. So I grabbed a spare b attery and headed up. By the time I got there the Highway Patrol had called a wrecker and they towed her approximately 200 yards to a gas station ( and charged her $90) where she put gas in it. He had also checked and tightened the battery connections. It started right up. Seems she ran it out of gas and with the bad battery connection it would not do anything. After harassing her mercilessly for not putting gas in it, I followed her to the hotel she was staying at and then went home.

Friday afternoon we finally got out and looked at the blue Suburban. It was not good. 

Even with the rebuilt starter it would not turn over properly. And when it did it had a perfect 160 PSI on cylinders 1 and 3. ON 5 it dropped to 100. SO now the plan is to drag TheKracken up the hill and test the compression on it. Then I will decided which of the 3 I will repair.

Since my back is still rebelling form the bad step off the sidewalk, I elected to call it a day at that point. 

That didn't last long. I got a call to pick up a junk Chevy Lumina at a Wal-Mart in Gastonia. Traffic was completely snarled on the way down. I guess it getting dark at 5 has every one confused. 

At Wal-mart we battled the idiots and finally managed to get the car to an empty place in the lot. We pushed it up with BettyBlue. I nearly had to ram a woman who decided she wanted to park in the lane for 15 minutes. She finally got tired of hearing my horn blow and my engine rev up and went on - angrily.

The renatacop kept circling in his little SUV with the yellow strobes on it. W e got it loaded up and headed to Wendy's to get supper since none off us had eaten.

The gal in the dirvethru kept trying to take an order from the Lumina. 

23319256_10156081177959739_8367658914955

Saturday we got up and headed to Monroe. 

Everyyear there seems to be one plane that I really want to see. After that I could take a nap LOL. This year is was the only flying de Havaland Mosquito in the United States. Only one of three in the world.

23380175_10156084396194739_4573211760527

23376189_10156084396184739_3761039796734

23559810_10156084402944739_3185138810914

23472043_10156084406199739_1110885883211

She sure sounded beautiful in the air.

23376552_10156084408509739_1069764355191

We sat next to a couple who we had a great time talking to. The husband was a WWII plane nut as well. Great people. When they left we finally told each other our names. They were White's too. We had a good laugh.

Heath and I took a tour of a C-54 that flew in the Berlin Airlift.

23519133_10156084424579739_6373026465178

23434770_10156084424059739_7190253910926

23380368_10156084426069739_2687375144966

23376546_10156084427154739_6939525225499

We had a great time. Heath loved it. I can't wait to see what the bring next year.

We left there and went to Bargain Hunt in Charlotte. Steph had been there on Thursday when she was between interviews, and saw they had some Dickie's work jackets. Since I needed a work coat I got one. Heath got a new pair of red cowboy boots too. 

I had planned to do nothing today. However, I got a call to go pick up 3 Fued Exploders and one Exbuttichin this afternoon. Should be fun.

#5142 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15,188 Thanks
  • 8,586 posts

Posted November 13, 2017 - 06:26 PM

Long long couple of days.

348s.jpg

Yesterday we left the house 15 minutes after noon to get those 4 trucks.And of course it started raining. 

We didn't have enough money in the bank to pay for all 4 of them, but I knew I would make my money and then some, so I overdrafted at the ATM to get the cash. 

The first Exploder had no running gear. It did, however, have a driveshaft. With the tools on hand we could not get it out. So we loaded it backwards, tied the steering wheel down, strapped the driveshaft up, and headed out. 

We got home with no problems. The Furd got dropped in the back yard and shoved out of the way with Gertie. 

Next we were getting a Expedition with no transmission. The guys kid had cut the driveshaft off about 3 inches from the pinion yoke. I figured it would make some terrible noise, but I thought we would try it.  

We got about 2 miles away, and the rearend of the thing locked up. I could back up a little bit and then get it to go forward about a foot. After many many back and forths I got it pointed in to a parking lot. 

Of course at that time a genius pulled in front of me to tell me the rearend of the Fud was not turning. Steph told him MI was trying to get into the parking lot. He kept yelling and pointing. I finally yelled that I was going to run his car over and got moving again. He moved about 3 feet backwards. When I almost slammed into the front of his car he backed out of the way and left. I now not happy. 

We got into the lot and another guy came up yelling that we couldn't do burnouts in his parking lot. I nearly punched him. I told him the rear end in the tuck had locked and I was trying to get it out of the blind curve we were in. He said he was going to call the cops and went inside. 

We dropped the stupid thing off and put it back on the dolly backwards, tied down the steering wheel. We headed out. NO cops ever arrived. 

We got about 4 miles down the FOD decided to change lanes. There was a subdivision that had a wide road so I pulled in to fix it. And, of course, pulled a tired off the rim of the tow dolly in the sharp turn.

We had no spare, no jack handle, but did have a jack. Fortunately the jack could be operated with a 3/4 inch tool. I didn't have a socket, but I did have a 3/4 box wrench. I went to work while Steph with to the nearby houses to see if they had a compressor so some kind. NO one did. 

I called AAA and told them I did not need a tow, I needed an air tank. They said it would be 4 hours. The rain had all the tow trucks busy. 

A little lady came home across the street and Steph went over to ask her. She called he neighbor. He didn't answer the door for us, but he did answer the phone for her.He had a compressor. I pulled the tire off and ran over and aired it back up.

Steph called AAA to cancel the call.

We finally got home and unloaded. Then went back for #3. An Exploder

It was a complete truck. It came home just beautifully. I almost make me cry. 

On the way back I noticed we were almost out of gas. At first I thought something had messed up in the engine, because it had 3/4 of a tank when we started. Then I realized the truck had been running for nearly 8 hours. It was 8:00 when we stopped for gas. 

The fourth truck ( an Exploder with no running gear)went on easily enough. 

Heath declared he wanted to eat at Waffle House. So we did. 

We got home and it was pouring rain. I pulled in the yard and immediately the truck sunk in the mud. We came in side. 

This morning we got going late. Well, I did. I was hurting,Steph went out to start the slice and dice on the truck still on the dolly. 

I got out and we finished it up. Then I woke Gertie from where I left her in the front yard and pushed the stuck truck, dolly, and derelict out of the mud. Once it was on terrafirma, i climbed in and we left for the crusher. in no time we had it unloaded, grabbed our cash, and headed home. 

A guy called about the Explorer I posed for sale. He wanted it. I told him to come get it. 

We got the CrownVic pushed up on the dolly with Gertie and went to town tearing it apart. 

The guy got here and bought the orange one, Gertie pushed it up on his tow dolly. He gave me a handfull of cash and he left. 

We finished gutting the cop car, Heath got home and I put him straight in the truck. We left for the bank. 

I put more than double what we took out back in the bank. The overdraft fee was more of a short term loan payment.

We got close to the scrap yard and then unloaded the Vic. Steph steered it and BettyBlue pushed it to the yard and across the scale. There is not way I was going to try to get it off the scale and around the drop off loaded on the dolly. 

We got paid and went to Lidl. 

They had little grocery carts, Heath grabbed one and was off on a shopping spree. He had to get chips, a bag of KitKats, and a can of food for his KitCat. He loves that cat. 

We grabbed a huge $10 pizza for dinner. 

I came in the house and fell on the bed. It took me a while to get upright and into the shower. 

Tomorrow we need to try to get 4 more vehicles out of the yard. Should be fun. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#5143 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 939 Thanks
  • 727 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 09:39 AM

If you have a Huntington National Bank in your area they have asterisk accounts that give you 24 hours grace before they charge an overdraft fee. 

• Craig. said thank you

#5144 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,796 Thanks
  • 4,777 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 11:02 AM

You sure put a hell of a lot of effort into something just so you can be overdrawn. :wallbanging:

May the sun come out, the days be easier for you,  and the investment pay off.  :thumbs:

• Craig. and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#5145 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15,188 Thanks
  • 8,586 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 06:49 PM

Moved quickly today.

paper-cups-thumb.jpg

I was awakened at 630 by a phone call from the school. Heaths bus was running late. I told Steph and tried to go back to sleep. 

We got up and I was barely able to move. I did some stretching and bending while Steph went out and Got started gutting a truck. 

We loaded it up and got to the scrap yard. Since I am pulling with BettyBlue there is no way I am taking an SUV off the scales and down the hill. We unloaded on the scale and unbolted the rims. A loader came and pulled the thing off the dolly after a little wait.

With a handful of cash we headed home. We stopped at the mower shop and picked up my 2 chainsaws they have had for several months. LOL. I actually forgot about them till they called me.

Back home we wrestled the Expedition with the frozen rear end up on the dolly and gutted it. Gertie did the heavy pushing.

With it strapped down, Gertie pushed BettyBlue out of the mud and onto the driveway. Then she pushed an Explorer up on ramps so Steph could pull it apart while I went back to the scrap yard.

It took a bit to get unloaded since everyone in Cleveland county was there. I unstrapped on the scales and they had to get people to move to pick it up. I couldn't even drive out from under it with the locked up axle. 

More cash and I was off again. ON the way back I saw a  beautiful red tailed hawk sitting on the side of the road having roadkill for lunch. I was in a hurry so no pics.

I got home and Steph said she couldn't get the cats off the truck. I took a look and saw how to do it. I got to cutting. It got strapped down and I left while she tore into the Lumina. I told her to get Emily to help her turn it around when she was done. 

Then she came in to start supper. 

I got caught in pretty heavy traffic. It was 3 when I left the house. It was almost 4 when I got unloaded. I figured I might just enough time to get the Lumina off. I figured I would try. 

I called Steph and told her to be ready when I got here. We got the car loaded in record time and I headed off in a hurry. It was 415 when I left. I pulled into the yard at 445. They all said they didn't think I would make it. 

This car was light enough for me to turn around with so I did. I pulled off the wheels and brought them home. 

I asked the gal at the pay window if I got a bonus for being the first one in and the last one out. She laughed and said no. It was nice to take my time on the way home. 

With the last set of tires off the truck and onto the trailer we now have 16 aluminum rims. Half with good tires. Not a bad deal for us. 

We got the truck ready to spend the day in Charlotte, which meant taking anything worth stealing out of the bed. Then we loaded all the catalytic converters up. She will take them to sell on her way to the interview. I am sure they will have something to say about her being all dressed up. 

I came in and Heath was playing a game on his tablet, and  asked how my day was. I told him I had a headache. He looked up from his game and said, "Well, you're going to die then," and went back to his game. Such a little ray of sunshine.