• Please log in to reply
5528 replies to this topic

#5116 916hydro OFFLINE  

916hydro
  • Member No: 87046
  • 74 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted October 31, 2017 - 09:54 PM

There's always something to bolt a chain or tie a strap to. I do about 1 fwd engine change a week they always come out from the top. I don't like dealing with the rust on the k frames, had one not want to go back together and never again
  • Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#5117 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted November 01, 2017 - 12:24 AM

There's always something to bolt a chain or tie a strap to. I do about 1 fwd engine change a week they always come out from the top. I don't like dealing with the rust on the k frames, had one not want to go back together and never again

This car has a junk yard engine in it. There is nothing to lift by. Even with the engine out there are no provisions for lifting. Whoever put it in removed them. With all the plastic on top of the engine i didn't want to chance it.
  • Craig. said thank you

#5118 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted November 02, 2017 - 05:37 PM

Was yesterday Monday???

3x3_board___coffe_escape583c658.jpg

I got up and headed off to Asheville yesterday to get Sam's motorcycle. 

The trip up was great. 

I got off the interstate and suddenly there were cops everywhere. Enough blue lights to give the whole city an epileptic seizure. They were weaving in and out of traffic and generally causing a big to do. 

I got he bike loaded up and noticed I had a flat tire on the trailer. So I pulled down out of the way and changed it. 

While I was doing that a service employee with a tan jumpsuit on walked out of the shop. About 2.4 seconds later an unmarked patrol car flew in. He looked at the employee then drove down to where I was. Since he had the window down I asked who he was looking for. He said a guy. I asked what he was in - thinking it would be a car. He said a tan or an orange jump suit. An escapee. I told them I would park the truck on him if I found him. 

http://wlos.com/news...south-asheville

I left the shop and got gas then headed over to a cigar shop to treat myself. 

I got back on the highway and was having a grand old time, smoking my stogie, drinking coffee, singing with the Statler Brothers, when all of a sudden the temp gauge pegged itself. It wasn't a slow climb, it was a matter of seconds that it went from 180 to 260.I have never seen a gauge go up that fast. I shut it down and coasted about 3 miles to a rest stop. 

I pulled in behind the last truck on the semi side of the stop. I was immediately enveloped in a cloud of steam.Try as I might I could not find where the water was escaping from. Fortunately I had a one gallon bucket and the rest stop had a faucet outside.

I pulled the radiator shroud off and the cooling fan. Then I began to see the water coming down the front of the block. The weep holes in the water pump were dry. So I figured i would yank it out and see what was happening. I found this...

23031459_10156053395014739_2153945096063

The PO had changed the pump and halfassed a gasket for it. 

I had a half a hope that the gasket was the only problem. I called Steph to Bring BettyBlue and I watched a movie on Netflix.

She arrived with the stuff I needed. i put the pump back on, crossed my fingers, and started it. The tailpipe looked like Niagara falls. Dammit. I moved it away from the trailer so we could hook BB up.  I called AAA. They said it would be an hour and a half. Steph left Heath and I there and went to get supper. It was 8 and none of us had eaten.

Heath and I walked in to use the potty. We walked back out and the tow truck was there. He got there in less than 10 minutes. 

Heath and I waited for Steph to come back. The tow truck left. 

After she got back we headed for home. We stopped to see our friend, Becca, whose husband was the Sheriffs deputy who recently died. She is selling raffle tickets in hopes of having a scholarship in his name for BLET students.

We got home and saw the tow truck leaving. He didn't beat us by much. 

This morning we went out and started putting the accursed Stratus back together. 

Emily has been sick, but she went to work anyway. She sent me a text asking if we could take her to the Urgent Care when she got home. I told her we could and we kept working. 

When she got home we were in a place where we could not stop. I told her she would have to wait a bit. I figured if she felt good enough to go to work she would live a little longer. 

We got to a place that one of us could leave and Steph took her on to the doc. She has strep. He gave her meds. They came home.

Heath got home and had to check everything out.

23130574_10156056637979739_5203451380800

23172590_10156056637974739_7592358506857

We got the Stratus back together and fired up Gertrude and dragged it back next door.

We put the high dollar tools up and shut the shop down. 

Steph made chicken and dumplings for dinner. 

And I found out the inmate was captured.

Tomorrow we will pull the JollyGreenGiant down and see what she needs. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#5119 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted November 03, 2017 - 04:58 PM

Not a bad day.

jan16-023-mug-mechanic-engineers-hero-fr

We got going late today. We were both worn out. 

After we finally got going, Steph went out to clean up tools. I was hurting and spent some quality time attempting to get moving. 

It was about 1130 when I finally went out. Steph was sitting in the shop chair playing on the computer watching TV. I think she may have discovered the secret to enjoying the shop. LOL.

We cleaned up some more.

I broke the jaw on my vise. I started looking for another. The cheapest pair I could find was $50. I found a new vise just like mine for $49 with free shipping. A no brainer there. When I find some brass I will make a set of jaws for one vise so I can work on softer stuff without destroying it. 

Heath got home and went berserk in the shop and yard. 

Once things were cleaned up enough, we moved the JollyGreenGiant to the carport. 

I felt kind of bad about disturbing Phantom to use Gertrude.

23130615_10156059799344739_1130099502372

Then we got Sam's bike off the trailer and under cover. 

I really wasn't going to do anything else, but we decided to take the JGG apart some. We got all the electrical disconnected and the distributor out. By that time it was 5pm. Quitting time.

We came in and degreased. Tomorrow we will see about getting it apart further. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#5120 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,949 Thanks
  • 47,132 posts

Posted November 03, 2017 - 05:45 PM

Gertrude looks to have an attitude about that, too.

• Craig. said thank you

#5121 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted November 03, 2017 - 07:25 PM

Gertrude looks to have an attitude about that, too.

Gertie is still upset about getting hit with an errant oven. I can't say I blame her. 

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5122 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted November 05, 2017 - 09:13 PM

Busier day than I planned. 

Explorer-Coffee-Subscription.jpg

Since it rained yesterday we didn't work on it any. We did ride up to get a Furd Exploder.

We were outside at about 1030 working on the JollyGreenGiant. 

In a short time we had the intake manifold off. 

23244170_10156065331919739_6104507254381

Think I found the problem. Both sides were like that. 

After some discussing and thinking, I decided to go ahead and pull the heads. The truck has 400k on it and it got really hot. Having the valves done wont be the worst thing ever, and I can get the complete engine gasket kit for $30 more than the intake kit. 

Since I have 3 of these that need head gaskets, I made something to keep me organized.

23172432_10156066304479739_5565023348888

While I was working on that, Graham came over to change his oil. When he put his drain plug back in he said it would not tighten and he couldn't get it back out. I tooka  look and got the cordless impact and got it to come out. It was stripped up on the end neat the head of the plug. The threads in the pan looked fairly good. I sent Steph and him to the parts house to get a tap and a plug. I kept working on my box. 

They got back and I tapped the threads in the oil pan again and then stuck the plug in. Problem solved. 

While I was taking the rocker arms off the passengers side, I dropped a nut down the distributor hole. It went all the way down. So now the oil pan has to come off. Since I am going to be there already, I will replace the oil pump too. 

I got a call from a guy in Morganton to come get a Blazer. I shot a quick video of the Exploder we got yesterday. 

Just as we left the guy called and wanted me to come 30 minutes later. We took a back road through South Mountain. It was a long winding road. I had fun. Heath was laughing like a maniac, Steph was white knuckling her seat belt. LOL. You have heard the old question, "Would you rather drive a fast car slow, or a slow car fast?" Well, I wasn't going over the speed limit, but I never went under it either. 

We got to the guys house and he was still shoveling stuff out of it. 

We got loaded up and headed to Denny's. I had not eaten since 10pm last night.

Once we were all stuffed we headed home. 

Nasty Heath got stuffed in a bubble bath. He had a ball all weekend. 

Edited by UncleWillie, November 05, 2017 - 10:20 PM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#5123 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 05:34 PM

Well CHit.

3ab335b97253678aba417df4a8084a03.jpg

Last night when we were leaving Denny's I took a bad step off the sidewalk in the dark. Even with the TENS unit and muscle relaxers sleep was slow coming. I woke up early and got on my massaging cushion.

I finally got to moving, but it is sore moving around. 

My new vise came today. It doesn't look as well made as the old one, and it was apart in the box. It wasn't supposed to be. I think I have all the pieces. I put the parts back that I had and left it on the bench. 

We pulled the heads off today. The Drivers side looked good. 

The passengers side had a blown gasket.
23172938_10156068462264739_7667366821386

However upon closer inspection....

23172796_10156068462859739_5354357440776

Scored cylinder. As much as I drive no way I am going to put it back together like this. I do have another truck I bought with a blown head gasket. I will pull the heads off it and see how things look in there. It might be the one that gets driven until I find an engine for this one or take the block to a machine shop.

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5124 916hydro OFFLINE  

916hydro
  • 74 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 08:09 PM

If you've got the parts to put it back together if it was me I'd go ahead and do that for the time being and have the spare rebuilt. These engines are tough and I don't see any problem getting another year out of your current engine

#5125 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 08:20 PM

If you've got the parts to put it back together if it was me I'd go ahead and do that for the time being and have the spare rebuilt. These engines are tough and I don't see any problem getting another year out of your current engine

If I only ever drove round town and didn't constantly tow I wouldn't mind driving it a while with the scored cyl. However, I never know where I am going to wind up when the day begins. The Suburban I bought for a work truck is a 3/4 ton 4x4 so it will be better to get it on the road. I have a feeling it only has a bad intake. I will do a leakdown test on it and see what happens tomorrow. As long as the PO didn't run it too hot it will be ok. He claimed he shut it down and had it towed home as soon as it started to overheat. 

• Craig. said thank you

#5126 916hydro OFFLINE  

916hydro
  • 74 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted November 06, 2017 - 09:45 PM

What engines are they? TBI or vorttec? Either way it shoud be pretty easy to get ahold of a junkyard engine

#5127 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 08:16 AM

What engines are they? TBI or vorttec? Either way it shoud be pretty easy to get ahold of a junkyard engine

Vortec. I won't have a problem finding one.

#5128 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 07:27 PM

IT rained most of today.

a797439d02be7fc5d73e7b83146ba3f8--bridge

We were gone at 815. We took our time and got down to the scrap yard just as they opened. 

With BettyBlue pulling the Blazer on the tow dolly we nearly had an accident. When you come off the scales there is a steep hill and you have to make a 180 degree turn on it. With the light pickup truck hooked up to the dolly it got pushed down the hill. I jackknifed and nearly hit another car. I got it stopped just in time.

We got unloaded, collected our cash and left. 

There was a car we were supposed to get, but the guy wanted to reschedule. He still has not told me when though.

So, after a run to cast our vote, we came back home. 

It was raining so we came in side. 

Sam and a friend came by with the idea he was going to take his bike home. He looked all around the yard and could not find it. I was sitting here all nice and dry laughing at him. He walked right past it 3 or 4 times. 

He came in and I talked him out of riding it home in the rain.The shiftier is messed up and I am not going up to his house to work on it. If he wants it worked on it needs to be here. 

They left after a while. 

It stopped raining. We went outside. 

We took all the tools out of the back of the JollyGreenGiant, stuck all the parts we removed in the back, and moved it out of the carport. I will get back to her later.

With the untimely death of the JollyGreenGiant, I did some shuffling around, and moved the IronHorseinto the carport.

The Ironhorse is a 1999 (I think I have so many it gets hard to keep up) K2500 Suburban. It is a work truck so it has vinyl seats, roll up windows, and rubber floormats. A perfect truck for hauling junk with. 

Tomorrow we will do a compression and leakdown test to see what we can find out. Hopefully it is just and intake leak.
23231267_10156071218849739_6999624604839

23172858_10156071220929739_2112359814170

We had the dogs out when Heath's bus got here. Carmel got on the bus. The kids were going bonkers. 

Not much else happened today. My phone hasn't even rang.

Edited by UncleWillie, November 07, 2017 - 07:29 PM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#5129 916hydro OFFLINE  

916hydro
  • 74 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted November 07, 2017 - 09:41 PM

Vortec. I won't have a problem finding one.

just junked a good one out of a 99 Tahoe 2 weeks ago. Couldn't give it away. I did save the heads though

#5130 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 04:01 PM

Irritating day.

23416228_10156074144509739_1380792761_n.

I nearly strangled a guy this morning.

Yesterday morning I was supposed to go get a Crown Vic from him. However, weather had me running late. I texted (the only way I had been in touch with him - not at all unusual) him to ask if he wanted to reschedule. He texted back, "reschedule", I asked him when, he never answered.

This morning at 9 he texted and asked why I wasn't there yet. I told him he didnt say to come. I told him I could be there in an hour and a half IF he wanted us to still come. HE said to come.

At 10, when I was 20 minutes from his address, he texted me,"Don't come" I called him. He said he had decided to not sell it.I hung up, I was temped to drive to his house to punch him in the neck.

A minute later he called and said to come get it. I told him to be certain he wanted me to come. He said to come on.

We got there and he started telling me that someone else had offered him $300. I told him that was not true. Then he wanted to be paid before he signed the bill of sale and handed over the keys. Had it not been such a long drive I would have left. As it was I now have a Crown Vic.

Need a demo derby car??

We then turned our attention to the IronHorse. We spent some time getting the spark plugs out, then attempted to do a compression test. 

The battery was dead.

We hooked up the battery charger, then remembered the nearly new battery in the JollyGreenGiant, so we stole it. 

Then the started began making a noise that I cannot describe, and I have never heard before. It was odd, because we have started and driven this truck to where it was parked. We did not attempt to start it to move it under the carport. 

While Steph turned the key I looked at the starter and could see something moving. I couldn't tell what it was. She got under the truck and found the starter solenoid was missing both bolts. SO it came out. I had another starter that looked similar, but upon further review it was just slightly different. 

A new starter is $120. I can have this one rebuilt for $50. A no brainer there.

Heath got home and everyone came inside. 

They took the starter to the shop. I am sitting on my butt. They are going grocery shopping too. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, KennyP and 1 other said thanks