• Please log in to reply
4302 replies to this topic

#496 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 01:23 AM

Back to Mar. 22, Willie, c'mon now, a GUY said the engine had too much power!!?????!!  Never met a guy yet who'd say such a thing   lol  Olde Deere #2

#497 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 12:24 PM

I know that is why I laughed so hard at  the no talent racing sticker.

#498 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 01:24 PM

I stumbled across a video you posted on YouTube this morning. I typed in Sears SS16 and a video you posted about placing an alternator on the SS16 came up. I never understood what the 'dragonfly' was till I stumbled across that video you posted on there also . Maybe you should have a post that describes your machines with names. Having to stumble thru 34 pages (498 post) is complicated when trying to figure out what machine your talking about. Maybe it's just me that's confused but I do enjoy reading this post. Keep it up!

Edited by SearsYellow, March 26, 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#499 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 02:37 PM

Here is a post with pictures. I will try to come to a more permanent arrangement soon.

http://gardentractor...w-hat/?p=284006

#500 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 03:08 PM

Well obviously I missed that page... lol.. Maybe I need to revisit this whole thread.

#501 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 03:50 PM

OK check my sig for a link to a glossary page.

#502 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 04:34 PM

Not much going on here today. Spent time catching up on paperwork and phone calls. No post of happenings but there is something that I have had on my mind for some while.

Our country is training at least the second generation of people that have no idea how to work. Not that they are lazy or stupid, they just have not been given the basic tools of logic and reasoning or even situational awareness to get them by.

They have relied too heavily on technology and the first time something come up that doesn't plug into a wall socket they cannot manage the problem.

Take for example my recent purchase of a 10x8 dog pen.

The pen was a one piece deal. No joints so it could not be disassembled. To pick up the pen I took a 10x5 trailer. When I arrived at the house the pen contained 2 bicycles and 2 push mowers. The gate is barely more than 16 inches wide so the items could not be carried through it. I told the woman it would be no problem to lift the pen over the items and load it on the trailer.

She immediately went into panic mode and started calling the neighbors for help. The day I cannot move a dog pen by myself I will accept a room at the nursing home.

There was also a pickup truck parked beside the pen. I asked her if she could move it and again she went into panic mode and was telling me to pull around the trailer and she would pull up and I could pack in behind her then she would drive around the trailer park to get it back in the spot.

I got in the truck and waited for her to back out. Then before she could pull forward and block me I backed in. She nearly hit the trailer.

I attempted to back in beside the dog pen. However, the 2 neighbor boys who arrived to assist had decided to lift everything in the pen over the top of the pen and were soaked in gas from turning the mowers upside down over their heads. Since they were putting everything in the way I got out of the truck and told them to move the mowers and I would back up next to the pen.

Immediately one of the boys grabbed the tailgate handle on the trailer. I told him, “NO, I will back up next to the pen.” So they grabbed the pen and sat it behind the trailer.

I told them to move it so I could back up next to it. They had no idea how to do that. After a brief instructional moment they moved it so I could back up.

Then imagine their surprise when I picked up the pen and lifted it onto the trailer.

One of them said, “Why did we have to move all the stuff out of the pen then?” as he stood there soaked in fuel.

I just laughed and left.

By the way- then I got home I unloaded the trailer, by myself, in about 8 seconds.

This is not the first time I have encountered people who have no idea how to do a simple job. They cannot think, formulate a plan, and carry it out. They have been taught to allow technology and others to do the thinking for them.

I saw a guy at the library a few years back who was complaining about being broke. His hands were soft as butter. Not a scar, scrape, cut, or callous on them. They looked like baby hands. I told him there was lots of work if he would just get his hands dirty. He looked at me like I fell from Mars. Then told me he didn't do that kind of work.

What this generation is missing is the joy of accomplishing something. Of working and sweating to achieve a goal and then looking back at the end of the day and seeing what they have done.

No one enjoys digging a ditch. However, finishing the ditch and looking back at it is a thing to behold. It is not much fun to replace an engine. But turning that key and hearing it roar to life is the reward for the labor.

They will not plant a garden because there is not instant gratification. It takes time and toil to receive the reward.

And the educational system, and most importantly their parents, are allowing them to continue to have no skills to provide for themselves. Nor any sense of pride to achieve anything. They simply float through life pushing buttons and watching screens.

What is the solution? How about sending them off to a camp for the summer, with no electricity, no cell coverage, and no computers, and let them work. It will build more self confidence than any basketball camp ever could.

I have played sports, and I am not in contact with any of the people I played with. However, I have worked, and my best friends are those that have labored beside me. We sought a common goal. We shared a common reward – the pleasure of a job well done.

Just some ramblings from a small mind I am sure. But think back 40 years when people had to work. Wasn't the world a better place?

Edited by mybigwarwagon, March 26, 2013 - 04:35 PM.

• olcowhand, larrybl, KennyP and 7 others have said thanks

#503 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 04:40 PM

I could not agree with you more Willie!  VERY well said!

• bgkid2966 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#504 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,393 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 04:44 PM

I agree with a lot of what you posted. My son will figure out a way to do something. My daughter will call me to help her figure it out. I hate having a very young person on a job, as they need someone to tell them how to do everything! True, not all are that way, we have Ryan to prove that. But a lot just have not had to think for themselves.

#505 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 04:58 PM

No one enjoys digging a ditch.

I hate to burst that thought bubble, but I get giddy just thinking of digging one. It's been a while, and I can't wait to get back at it.

Shovel-pic.jpgmqdefault.jpg

#506 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 05:07 PM

I hate to burst that thought bubble, but I get giddy just thinking of digging one. It's been a while, and I can't wait to get back at it.

Shovel-pic.jpgmqdefault.jpg

Well not everyone had a mechanical hole digger.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, March 26, 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#507 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 05:07 PM

I am indeed part of the 'now' generation. If it doesn't appease us now we don't have any correlation to it what so ever.

BUT saying that...

I personally have worked my a** off to get where I am. At one point and time I was working a full time and part time job. I was going to school full time and putting in 25 hours a week in clinicals. I would have school for 6 hours and I would get out of school at 2  then goto work from 3-11. Then I would leave work and goto clinicals from 11-7. I may slept every other day. I was going to school for EMS and I hoped every time I had clinicals that we didn't run calls all night.  If we ran calls the whole night that meant I didn't get another sleep for 12 hours. Clinicals ended at 7 and school started at 8 oclock.

For me to be my age I am very old school and believe someone gets out of life what they put into it. I always hear my friends talking about how broke they are but they won't even apply at McDonalds because it's 'below' them.

Edited by SearsYellow, March 26, 2013 - 05:08 PM.

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#508 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,393 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 05:13 PM

I hope folks don't think I am accusing ALL younger folks of this. Just most I have been around have challenges.

#509 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 05:27 PM

Rest assured, none of us mean "all" young folk are that way.  But enough are so as to be alarming for sure.  The young people here on GTT are cut from a better cloth than most.  :thumbs:

• tractorgarden and oldedeeres have said thanks

#510 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,393 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 05:38 PM

Rest assured, none of us mean "all" young folk are that way.  But enough are so as to be alarming for sure.  The young people here on GTT are cut from a better cloth than most.  :thumbs:

:ditto: