• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 41,214 Thanks
  • 31,437 posts

Posted October 18, 2017 - 09:34 PM

Changing weather gets me.

Me too....used to think predicting weather by aches & pains was nuts, but it's true!

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#5072 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,417 Thanks
  • 45,945 posts

Posted October 19, 2017 - 05:45 AM

Me too....used to think predicting weather by aches & pains was nuts, but it's true!

Me 3! I can feel a change coming!

• Craig. said thank you

#5073 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 9,509 Thanks
  • 4,770 posts

Posted October 19, 2017 - 01:24 PM

Welcome to my world. It's my knees that tell me when the weather's going to change and I've learned not to ignore them. They are always right!

• Craig. said thank you

#5074 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,676 Thanks
  • 8,763 posts

Posted October 19, 2017 - 08:40 PM

It has been a long time coming.

This morning I was awakened by a call from Buddy. He took the Passport to be inspected and it failed. Evidently the check engine light is out. 

I got up and started researching the codes it was throwing. It is either a handful of sensors, or it will need a new catalytic converter. It only has 4 of them. I am hoping for sensors. It took far too long for me to get answers on the pule of codes it was spitting out. I miss non emission vehicles. 

I am still waiting for parts on everything I have pulled apart, so there wasn't much I could do outside anyhow. 

Steph loaded up all the catalytic converters we had ( none would fit the Honda) and took them to sell. 

I got a ton of phone calls. One of which was a guy who had a car in Charlotte for scrap. I told him I would come up after Heath got off the bus.

We decided we needed to trim the fleet down. Not tractors, trucks. After al lot of soul searching, debate, and tears we made a decision on who needs to leave. The winner ( loser?) was..

christine.png

Yes Christine drew the short straw. We had already pulled the tags. It has not left the yard in a month other than when Steph just decided to take it to Walmart a week or so back. 

Car parts arrived shortly after Heath's bus.

When Steph and Heath were home, we loaded up and left for Hildebran. We got the little Kia hooked up and went to get some food. 

Once we were filled up, we went over to Sears. I had two more ratchets that were broken.

It took them over an hour to replace the mechanism in them. One of them is no longer made and they could not find a kit for it. 

Steph and Heath played on the exercise equipment. I looked at every tool and garden implement they had. Finally i sat in a recliner that was on display near the tool section. 

We got home at around 9. 

Tomorrow we have to be up early. The Stratus has to be put together, the car we got today has to be gutted and off to the crusher, the Passport has to come home with is, and we have to fix it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 59c8c790b7766d5862ce305d63bdbaff--coffee-cups-coffee-coffee.jpg
  • christine.png

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5075 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,676 Thanks
  • 8,763 posts

Posted October 20, 2017 - 05:17 PM

Long day.

This morning I was awakened by the sound of the bus going by. I woke Steph up. She got him ready and drove him to school. I got dressed and got ready to go work. 

Brewing-The-Perfect-Portfolio-Feature-Im

First we gutted the car we got yesterday. That didn't take long. 

Then we got on the Stratus. I swear if I ever meet the engineer who designed it I will not be help accountable for my actions. After spending an hour getting the thermostat housing off, I could not find a reason for the leak. 

The guy showed up to look at Christine. He left with her. 

I was having trouble getting the thermostat gasket to fit in the housing, so I came in to look it up and see if there was some trick. While I was looking I found this. 

2013-04-12_180550_1.gif

I had Steph go out and look to see it the weep hole was where the leak had been. IT was. There was no way to see it with the car assembled, and I never would have thought a week hole would be in the side of the block.

Now I get to tear the front of the engine down. 

Just as we were ready to walk out the door, we got a call from Heath's school. He had been running down the sidewalk and ran headfirst into a pole. He had a huge knot on his head. Steph went to get him. 

They got back and he seemed fine. He has a small bump and a bruise on his forehead. I am surprised we didn't get a bill for the pole. 

Finally, we headed down to the scrap yard.We got unloaded, then headed to the bank to make a deposit.

Once the bank was full, we headed to Buddy's to get the Passport. 

Steph took it home. I went to Autozone with Heath. 

On the way home I got a phone call from the guy who bought the truck. He is a friend of a friend. He had a problem getting it inspected. He asked if I would give him the money back. I said I would. When I got home I told Steph to go to the bank. 

I went out and started on the Passport. 

Steph got back and I called the guy. He said he had gotten it straightened out. So now we get to deposit the money again. 

We found the #6 coil pack on the Honda was messed up. For some odd reason the thing has 5 coil pack that are the same size, 6 is supposed to be different. It wasn't. Not only was it the same, it had been broken, glued back together, and jammed in the hole. Explains the random misfire. 

I came in and ordered $200 in parts for cars that I don't own. At least I am getting it all back. 

Now I get to wait for parts again. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#5076 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 7,008 Thanks
  • 4,415 posts

Posted October 20, 2017 - 05:52 PM

You might want to watch the vid on the water pump replacement on the stratus. Both cams have to come off. I took ours to the dealer. $1,200.00 later, we had an oil leak. back to the dealer. Finally fixed, but the oil pressure light would come on at stops. Sold it for what I payed to have the water pump replaced. Heard the engine locked up about a month later.

• olcowhand, Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#5077 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,676 Thanks
  • 8,763 posts

Posted October 20, 2017 - 06:01 PM

You might want to watch the vid on the water pump replacement on the stratus. Both cams have to come off. I took ours to the dealer. $1,200.00 later, we had an oil leak. back to the dealer. Finally fixed, but the oil pressure light would come on at stops. Sold it for what I payed to have the water pump replaced. Heard the engine locked up about a month later.

I have. I am not looking forward to working on it. 

• olcowhand, larrybl, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#5078 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 707 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted October 20, 2017 - 08:43 PM

I have. I am not looking forward to working on it. 

At least it's not a Ford Edge.  My mom has one and the water pump went in it.  She was quoted something like $2600 to do it at a dealer.  She took it to my uncle's shop to have it done.  Come to find out to properly replace it the entire engine needs to be removed to get the timing cover back on without having it leak oil from the lower corner because the strut mount is in the way and the person who designed it made the cover so it also seals the oil pan and valve covers.  It leaks oil.   :(  :wallbanging:

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#5079 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,676 Thanks
  • 8,763 posts

Posted October 21, 2017 - 06:58 PM

Fun day. 

168s.jpg

We slept late, even Heath. 

Teh guy I sold the truck to has a little shop not far from us. We took a ride to see what he had. I bought a small dead blow hammer and a Swiss Army knife. 

Then we went next door and got drinks.

There is a great park in Gastonia, so we went down and turned Heath loose for a couple of hours. They also have a little ride on train. We took a ride on it. They guy said it was made in 1954 and was powered by a WIsconsin 4 cyl. engine. After we rode Heath had to inspect the engine pretty close. 

We walked down all the paths and found an exercise area. We messed around with it a bit, then went back to the playground.

From there we stopped at a car wash to blast the JollyGreenGiant off. The biggest reason I went was they have great vacuums. The truck has not been vacuumed since we bought it. We sucked cigarette packages and who knows what else out of it. 

Then we headed down to  - you guessed it- Chickfila. ON the way there I got behind a car and noticed that my passengers side DRL was out. Since that is also my headlight I figured I needed to fix it. 

We ate then I left them there so Heath could play more. I drove over to Pepboys and bought headlights and installed them. I didn't have my phone. Steph was thinking I got kidnapped. 

We stopped a Goodwill to look around. 

In the parking lot there was a mangled Mitsubushi with a woman sitting in the front sear rocking out to "another one bites the dust" considering the condition of her car I found it ironic. 

I found some good books. Heath found a Barrel of Monkeys, Steph got clothes. 

Then we came home. 

It was a fun day. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#5080 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,676 Thanks
  • 8,763 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 03:01 PM

Today we cleaned. 

Coffee_Scrub_150G_large.jpg?v=1499191594

WHen I changed the headlight bulbs yesterday I found that the lens housings were broken and badly in need of a polish. 

This is what I started with. 

lens0.jpg

The first pass with sanding discs, 500 on the left, 800 on the right. 

lens2.jpg

First pass with polish.

lens7.jpg

Second polish pass.

lens8.jpg

Final polish and sealed.

lens5.jpg

And back on the truck.

lens94.jpg

I was also sick and tired of the wimpy horn that came on JGG. So the horns we took off Christine went on. 

horn.jpg

Then Emily got home and since I had the stuff out...

Her one bad light.

Honda2.jpg

And final product

honda1.jpg

I ran out of the Harbor freight kit and dug up a 3M kit I got at a junk store and forgot about. The 3M had 3000 and 5000 sanding discs. I used an old 500 and 800 from the HF kit first. I am completely impressed with the 3M quality over the HF. I will be sourcing the discs and polish from them.

I got Emily outside and taught her to change a tire on her car. When she had a flat the guys from the tech school didn't put the hub cap back on. It is one that the lugs hold in place. So I made her put it back on. 

Then I gave her a little instruction on how to handle being stopped by the police. Hopefully she won't have to use that bit of advice. 

That was enough for a lazy Sunday afternoon. 

Steph is attempting a rotisserie rabbit in her new convection oven. We will see how that works, or if I am ordering pizza. LOL. 

#5081 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,417 Thanks
  • 45,945 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 03:05 PM

Lenses look good!

• Craig. said thank you

#5082 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,676 Thanks
  • 8,763 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 06:58 PM

Lots of bad weather today. 

This morning I had to head up to get Sam and take his motorcycle to a shop in Asheville. His throttle would not return. It wasn't stuck, but it stayed wherever you let go of it. He laid it down when it wouldn't stop.

7179231.jpg

It was pretty clear when I left the house. By the time I got to his house it was raining. It only got worse from there. 

We went by his friends house, where it broke down, to get the motorcycle and nearly drowned loading it up. 

We stopped to grab a bite to eat and it was a monsoon when we got back out. 

The rain was steady all the way to Aseville. Then on the surface streets it was horrible. Rain water was a foot or more deep. I was thinking of trading his bike for a boat. 

When we got off the interstate the truck died. Just like I had turned off the key. I opened the hood and poked around and had Sam trying to start it. It fired up. We went on. 

We got to the bike shop and they started to say that the cable couldn't have broken on its own. However they gave him a 30 day warranty when he bought it. They took it over to the garage area, and came back and said they would replace the handle bars and cable. I think had it just been him they would have told him to go pound sand. 

The monsoon continued  on the way home till we got off of 40 onto back roads. It stopped raining and about 15 minutes later the truck stopped dead again. I had a good head of steam and coasted about 3 miles to a safe spot.

I opened the hood and poked around again. I looked at the ignition coil and noticed it had a zip tie around it. At first I thought they had broken the lock tabs off the connector and zip tied it back. Then I noticed the whole top of the coil was held on with black silicone. I pushed down on the top of the coil and the truck started. I let go and it died. I got my zip ties out and tied it up and got it running. 

We got to Forest City and Sam was starving to death. He wanted to stop at Little Cesar's and get a pizza. I have never seen one with a drive thru. 

We got off of highway 74 onto 226 and it looked like a bomb had gone off. roofing metal, trees, trash, and all manner of other debris was all over. A tornado had come through. We were detoured several times. It should have taken me 30 minutes to get from 74 to his house.At one point the police had cut the locks off an old abandoned mills parking lot and was diverting traffic through it. It took an hour and a half, and I dropped him a mile away and told him to walk. I had to turn off and it would have taken me another hour to get back to the turn. 

There were more detours on the way home. IT took me 2 hours to make a one hour drive.

I got home and Sam called. He left his wallet in my truck. I told him I wasn't bringing it back. He is on his way to get it. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#5083 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,676 Thanks
  • 8,763 posts

Posted October 25, 2017 - 04:54 PM

I am going crosseyed.

7222.jpg

After enough time  and sunshine passed so that we didn't drown in the back yard, we went out and got started on Buddy's Passport. Many frustrating hours later, I was still at it. 

There is a wiring harness a big as my forearm running to the ECU. 8 of those nearly 100 wires goes to the throttle position sensor the best guess was that a wire was broken. A new TPS didn't solve things. 

I came in and got on Alldata and subscribed for the diagrams. They took $30 out of my account and then i couldn't get back in. I sent an email to customer service and had to wait for them. I went back out to look for obvious problems. 

Well after dark I was whittling on the half inch of tape and loom to get to the harness. At 9 we finally came in. 

I spent most of this morning hunting a wiring diagram. Since the 2000 is a one year only vehicle I was having no luck. Alldata was still not responding. I sent an email that I wanted it fixed or my money back at once.

At 11 I had to go get the JollyGreenGiant legal. When we walked out we noticed that the deluge on Monday had washed the paper tag off the truck. 

I went down and got the inspection done, then headed off to Shelby to the DMV. With my pockets lighter I headed home. 

I didn't have access to Alldata yet so I went out and we went through the harness one wire at a time. I found a ground that looked a bit wonky so I ran a new one. 

After reassembling everything I took it for a test drive. Still throwing the code for the TPS. We checked more wiring and then I stopped. The multi colored spaghetti was killing me. 

I came in and found Alldata had let me back in. I now have a diagram, and I still can't figure out what is wrong. Tomorrow I get to look more. 

#5084 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 41,214 Thanks
  • 31,437 posts

Posted October 25, 2017 - 05:37 PM

I hate wiring issues.  It'll drive one nuts!

• Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#5085 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,676 Thanks
  • 8,763 posts

Posted October 26, 2017 - 08:31 PM

Horray. 

Horray. 

eureka.jpg

After many hours bent over the fenders of the Passport, I finally found the wiring problem. 

There was a red wire that was a 5v reference to the TPS that had an intermittent short in it. A for real short is hard enough to find. An intermittent can be impossible to locate. When we had the plug unhooked and the wires bent, the wire made connection. When it was plugged in and straightened out, it was shorted. 

After multiple bending and unbendings it finally broke more completely. One I found the problem child, I cut it apart with a childlike glee, and then installed a replacement wire. Problem solved. 

Heath got home while I was finishing up.

Then I attacked the bad check engine light. I had been using my little Harbor Freight scanner. After I pulled the dash apart I found a tiny little bulb that was blown. I checked all the parts vehicles and none were present. So I took the transmission trouble light bulb and stuck it in the check engine slot. 

Then Heath and I went for a long test drive.

We went to every parts place in town and no one had the bulb. 

We drove around some more then came back home. I hooked up the scanner again and it had a code for the EGR. Well, at least it was something different. It wasn't triggering the light, but it might cause it to fail inspection. 

A plugged EGR is a pretty common problem on these things. I pulled it off and it looked clean enough. I fired up the little air compressor and put some compressed air down the fitting. Something popped and lots of air came blowing out the other end. I put the EGR back on and we went for a drive again. 

This time things were perfect. NO lights, no codes, 

I buttoned things up and came in. My bender is worn out. Tomorrow I get to start on the Status. UGH> 

Edited by UncleWillie, October 27, 2017 - 10:08 AM.

• olcowhand, Craig. and 64fleetside have said thanks