• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,843 Thanks
  • 47,077 posts

Posted September 11, 2017 - 04:23 PM

Hope Irma doesn't rain on your parade too long! Hate to see pontoons on your trucks!

#4982 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted September 11, 2017 - 05:46 PM

Hope Irma doesn't rain on your parade too long! Hate to see pontoons on your trucks!

I am more concerned about what happens with Jose. Irma went to the other side of the mountains. 

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4983 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 07:38 PM

I am tired. 

I have not been sleeping good. Last night included. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Steph left at 11 to go get the tags on Emily's car straightened out. I went out to work. 

I got Ben's tiller belt changed, it was a bit worn. 

IMG_20170913_153718.jpg

IMG_20170913_153722.jpg

Then I poured some Seafoam in the carb and took it over to till sup some of the garden. It protested a bit a first then got whatever was clogging it up out of the way and became a little monster. I took it back to the work area and let it run the gas out of the tank.

While it was doing that I got the string mower out. Last time Sam used it he said it would run for a little while and then die. I started it up and sure enough it died after about 3 minutes. It started right up again. I reached down and moved the throttle to try to keep it running and it after I moved it about 1/4 inch is smoothed out. There is no sticker or marking on the throttle. It was running on choke. I mowed with it for about 3 hours and then I was done.

I sat down to take a break.

IMG_20170913_141028_1.jpg

While I was sitting I noticed that my gurney was all the way up on one side and down on the other. I am thinking the high winds had something to do with it. It wasn't like that the day before. Hard to use as a work table when it is at a 45 degree angle. I crawled around under it and messed with everything I could find. I found a cable that went to a valve that was stuck. After pushing and pulling a bit it came free then the table lifted up like it should. 

Heath got off the bus and came running over. HE didn't know the table went up and down. He can't figure out how it does it though. 

Then I went over and got Gertie. I bought a drawbar for her the other day. Once I got it to the tractor I realized that my weights would not go over the drawbar. So I sat and thunk on it for a bit. I came up with a sort of workable solution.

I took the old weight bar apart and then had to cut the threaded rod down a bit. The threads got buggered while being used for what they were never intended for. I grabbed a couple of boards to hold it without damaging any other threads.

IMG_20170913_163549.jpg

Then I ran the rod thought the ummm hitch looking thing on the back of the tractor. I know it has a name, but my brain is dehydrated.

IMG_20170913_170158.jpg

I arranged the weights so that they could not touch the PTO.

Once that was done I went down and got the big trailer out of the field. With the drawbar it was easy. 

It has on tire that always goes flat. Normally I can get it back on the rim and aired up by myself. This time it defeated me. 

After an hour of fighting with that Steph got home. With the extra set of hands I got it to hold enough air to find a big hole in the tread. I plugged that and put the tire back on. 

Then we got the JollyGreenGiant hooked to it. The dump trailer got hooked to BettyBlue.

Once we had the ramps set up, Steph drove Gertie up. I was guiding her. And then it all came to a crashing end. 

Gertie went through the deck. I managed to get it in 4wd and she backed off. Trailer is toast though

IMG_20170913_192638.jpg

I called Tim and asked if he was using his trailer tomorrow. He is. So we are going to work around here tomorrow.....If I can stand up. I am cramping up big time. 

Edited by UncleWillie, September 13, 2017 - 07:39 PM.

• Gtractor and Craig. have said thanks

#4984 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,885 Thanks
  • 31,934 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 08:15 PM

The pull hitch is the "Drawbar" Willie!  What you bought was likely a toolbar/drawbar.

#4985 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 09:18 PM

The pull hitch is the "Drawbar" Willie!  What you bought was likely a toolbar/drawbar.

Thanks. I am soaking my brain in water. LOL

And Yes the belt on the tiller is routed wrong in the pic. I noticed what I did after I took the pic. I didn't think to take on afterwards. 

#4986 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 42,885 Thanks
  • 31,934 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 09:30 PM

Thanks. I am soaking my brain in water. LOL

And Yes the belt on the tiller is routed wrong in the pic. I noticed what I did after I took the pic. I didn't think to take on afterwards. 

I just figured you slipped it on the pulleys for a quick pic for belt comparison before putting in proper orientation.  

#4987 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted September 14, 2017 - 07:20 PM

Not a lot got done today. 

slow-coffee-style-kinto-nuline.jpg

I got moving in fits and starts. It hurt pretty bad to move. 

My buddy, Tim, came over to discuss some things we need to get done. 

While he was here, Steph left for an interview.  She asked me to print out her resume but it would not print for some reason. While I had her resume up on my computer I noticed some glaring errors on it. I started correcting those. 

Tim headed home shortly after she left. It did not dawn on me that Steph had a 3pm interview. She left here at 230. At 250 someone started beating on the door. Heath's bus had come and I didn't know what time it was. The neighbor across the street knew I was hurting and thought I may have taken a muscle relaxer. She came over to get me. 

My other neighbor called and said her daughters car was overheating. I told her we would come over after Steph got home. 

Steph got home and we went over. 

The car was low on water. I filled it up and let it heat up.

While we waited for it to heat up we used Gertrude to scrap the foot of dirt and grass that had overgrown her driveway.

heathwork1.jpg

Heath helped.

heatwork.jpg

Once the car was hot, I  opened the bleeder valve. Then I drove it up and down the road. It didn't overheat. 

When that was done we came home. 

We took the JollyGreenGiant down it the field and used Gertie to lift the trailer off the hitch. It sits low enough that it doesn't want to come off. 

Then we came in. Steph made rabbit tacos for dinner. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#4988 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 42,885 Thanks
  • 31,934 posts

Posted September 14, 2017 - 07:39 PM

Hard to work when the pain sets in good.  I've had to start taking 1/2 a pain pill to get through work.  Dr said 1/2 one would be fine to drive, and I could drive with a lot more than that, but I won't!  

You likely won't believe me, my being a true country boy and all, but I've never eaten rabbit....EVER!  Wait a minute....that may not be true.  My Uncle Gaines hunted and ate everything, and had me over for dinner a lot.  Sometimes he told me what the meat was, sometimes he didn't.  I didn't care as it was always very good eating.

• Gtractor, KennyP and Cat385B have said thanks

#4989 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 14,366 Thanks
  • 10,136 posts

Posted September 14, 2017 - 08:20 PM

When I still lived in SW MN, I was on the local FD. We had a wild game feed every winter as a fundraiser. Rabbit was always the second or third thing we would run out of every year. Pan fried and oven baked, usually around 25-30 big sheets of them. Elk disappeared first, then the rabbit or pigeon breasts. The turtle always depended on how drunk we got while cleaning them. Some years we were a bit wasteful.

We would fry up batches of RM oysters, and have someone just walk the tables and serve those. Fistfights start when you let the population serve themselves with those tasty treats.

Willie, does Steph pan cook that rabbit for tacos, or is she stewing them up with peppers?

Edited by Cat385B, September 14, 2017 - 08:22 PM.

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4990 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted September 15, 2017 - 06:37 AM

When I still lived in SW MN, I was on the local FD. We had a wild game feed every winter as a fundraiser. Rabbit was always the second or third thing we would run out of every year. Pan fried and oven baked, usually around 25-30 big sheets of them. Elk disappeared first, then the rabbit or pigeon breasts. The turtle always depended on how drunk we got while cleaning them. Some years we were a bit wasteful.

We would fry up batches of RM oysters, and have someone just walk the tables and serve those. Fistfights start when you let the population serve themselves with those tasty treats.

Willie, does Steph pan cook that rabbit for tacos, or is she stewing them up with peppers?

She ground this batch up. IT depends on what mood she is in when she cooks.

My favorite rabbit meal is rabbit and dumplings. 

• oldedeeres said thank you

#4991 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 8,296 Thanks
  • 5,797 posts

Posted September 15, 2017 - 06:43 AM

We raise meat rabbits, just butchered 7 of them, 3 older ones and 4 younguns. My son took 3 back with him to college, one of his classmates know how to cook them. They boiled on of the older ones for a couple hours, then had home made drop dumplings, he said they ate like kings.  I like to use the older ones to make jerky.

• UncleWillie said thank you

#4992 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted September 15, 2017 - 06:56 PM

Long day today. 

This morning Steph had an interview. I got up and got Heath on the bus.

1950s-vintage-Stanley-thermos-halfgallon

Then I got to sit for about an hour waiting on her to get back. Once she was here we got moving. 

We ran down to Tim's in the JollyGreenGiant and got the big trailer, then back home to load Gertrude up. After a few housekeeping items the needed attention, we headed out. 

Steph drove BettyBlue with the dump trailer, the JGG did the heavy lifting on this leg. 

21761436_10155906961824739_5063833044870

About 10 seconds after I took that pic a strap  came loose and went under the tires of the trailer, I had to stop and retrieve it. 

When we got there the guy came riding up the road on his little riding mower. He lost his license, DUI, so he cruises on the mower. He had an AC unit in the little dump cart on the back. 

I parked the JGG down the hill under a huge Walnut tree, and unloaded Gertie.

It didn't take that long to get the dump trailer filled to capacity. Then I parked Gertie under a tree. We strapped the load down, and headed off in BB. 

I got Steph to the house.  I wasn't sure if I could get through the scrap yard before Heath got off the bus. 

I headed off to unload. 

About a mile from the scrap yard the same strap came loose on the load that had come loose on the tractor. 

The yard was pretty empty so I was in and out fast. Then I ran over to TSc to get more ratchet straps. We were down to 2.

Steph said we needed dog food too, so I snagged it. I swear those dogs eat better than I do. 

Once I had Steph and Heath we headed back to the guys house. 

The JGG was still patiently waiting in her shady spot. 

It took about a hour and a half to get the second load. At one point I put an old washer on the trailer, backed Gertie out, and the dryer fell. It hit BB's tailgate, but only left a scuff mark. I was concerned it was going to mash the tail light. 

Steph came over and got on Gertie and lifted the washer back up. I wrestled it into a spot where it couldn't slide.

Next we got an oven. It wanted to slide off as well, but we beat it to the punch and got a strap around both machines before they could escape again. 

When we had as much as would fit in the dump trailer we loaded aluminum, electric motors, radiators, and copper up in the bed of BB. 

The old lady that lived there thought Heath was the greatest thing ever. He got tea and cookies and a sucker. They sat on the porch and talked and played with his huge dinosaur.

Since the remnants will be easy enough to load by hand, we brought Gertie back home.

On the way back Steph had to stop twice to tighten the strap on the two errant machines. She never once called me to say they kept coming loose. I had more straps in the truck. 

I got home and was unstrapping Gertie before she even got there. While I was turning around in the yard, the idiot neighbor was leaving. He nearly drove off in his ditch staring at me. If he had of I would have got a chair and watched while he tried to get it out.

Gertie got unloaded, the dump trailer was unhooked from BettyBlue, then we took Tim's trailer back. 

His grandson was out riding around the field on his bicycle. He wanted to race us when we left. I let him win. LOL.

Back home, BettyBlue got pulled over to the aluminum pile and unloaded. 

I went over and started Ben's tiller. IT was rattling bad. I checked the oil and it had none. I could have sworn I checked it. Fortunately, it did not hurt anything. Evidently when I let it run out of fuel it ran out of fuel first. I filled it up and it sounded perfect. 

We loaded it up on BB and took it down to their house. 

His widow was out working in the yard. She is doing much better. The boy however, my gracious, that boy is wild. Wilder than Heath. I showed him how to operate the tiller, Then he had to bring me the .22 Henry rifle he got for Christmas that had a broken firing pin. I told them to take it back to where they got it. It has a warranty. Of course, Calvin had taken the screws out of it and couldn't get them back in. I got 3 of them in. The 4th is stripped. I am sure they will have something to say about that. 

Calvin got to tilling the garden. Heath got on Calvin's old tricycle and went all over the place, Steph and I talked to Andrea for a good while, then we all loaded up and came home. 

I came in to take a shower, Steph went to get supper, and Heath stripped to his underwear and ran around like a lunatic.

Tomorrow we go back for the last load, then to the Apple Festival in Lincolnton.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#4993 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted September 16, 2017 - 07:19 PM

I am worn out. 

This morning we up and off to the scrap yard.

nissan_alllargeboxes.jpg?Popup=1

We were loaded from yesterday's job.

sat5.jpg

There was a guy there who thought he could be cute and back off the scale to get ahead of the line of people unloading. It didn't work out so well for him. He actually had to wait till a couple of trucks that came in after him unloaded. It was hilarious. 

At least the weather was nice driving to the guys house.

sat1.jpg

Sam called and asked if he could come work. I told him to go get the string mower and trim with it. 

It didn't take very long at all to get the trailer loaded again. It was all pretty light stuff. The bulk of it was beer cans. Someone sure likes Miller lite. We got half a trailer load of cans.

When we left Heath declared he was starving to death. There was a little diner we had been driving past on the way to the job. We decided to try it. 

The sign out front said "famous hand squeezed lemonade". I ordered some.

sat3.jpg

It was horrible. It tasted like the waved a lemon over a bag of sugar then added water. I traded it for a Dr. Pepper. 

The place redeemed themselves with the fried mushrooms. 

sat2.jpg

We were going to go to the Apple Festival, but with the dump trailer there was no where to park. I didn't feel like going home to drop the trailer, and then back to Lincolnton.

When we got home Sam was there. He was attempting to mow the yard with the string mower. Have you ever had a 4 year old give you a haircut. That is what the grass looked like. I told him to mow around things, not  mow the entire yard. 

Steph and I got the aluminum and beer cans off the trailer, then set about to load more scrap from the pile on top of it.

As I was coming back up the hill I saw Sam putting gas in the string mower, out of a can I have not seen in months. I have no idea what was in it, or how old it was. I don't even know where he found it. We got a bucket and dumped the tank out. It looked like tea. When we put fresh gas in it, it refused to start. I told him to just help us load up scrap. 

When the trailer got loaded and things were strapped down. I came in and laid down in the floor. My back was slightly unhappy. 

Tomorrow I am going to rest up... maybe.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#4994 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 7,449 Thanks
  • 4,570 posts

Posted September 16, 2017 - 09:36 PM

I have a clearly marked 2 gallon can that says weed eater ONLY. This is the first one that gets hi-jacked and put in the Kids cars. 

#4995 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 10,483 Thanks
  • 5,093 posts

Posted September 17, 2017 - 12:17 AM

Sometimes some  help is worse than no help.

• KennyP said thank you