wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 05:05 PM

I labored on labor day.

coffee-labor-day.jpg

This morning I had nothing to do. However, my phone started going nuts. I think our cell tower has been down because I have not had a call in 4 days. 

A neighbors son called. His friend had a 99 Chevy pickup that needed a fuel pump. He couldn't afford the $100 plus for a new one. I toke him we could get the one out of the parts Suburban.

Another guy called and wanted me to come get a little Dodge D50. I told him we would be there when I got finished with the fuel pump. 

The guy got here and we went out. Instead of dropping the tank, I told him to just cut the back floor out of the truck. 

First all the stuff that was in the back had to come out. Then all the glass had to be cleaned up from where the back hatch got shattered. Then I gave him my cordless angle grinder and he sliced the floor out. He was being very careful. I told him it was a junk truck, just go for it. So he finally did.

While he did that Steph hooked the JGG up to the tow dolly. 

Once he was finished I came in and finally got to eat my bowl of rice that had been sitting for a hour and a half. 

I got a call from a guy who was very upset that he had not been able to reach me for three days. I tried to explain that the cell towers had been messed up. HE calmed down a bit. He had a load of scrap he wanted me to come look at. I told he we would come by on the way to get the truck. 

When we go there he had a huge mess of metal. Big enough that Gertie and the dump trailer will be going along to get it. 

Then we headed up to the guys house to get the pickup. He lived just up the road from the guy a got 4 cars from last month. He didn't even realize the guys driveway was cleared out. LOL. 

The D50 was sitting on a slight hill. It had no service brake, but it did have a parking brake. SO we were good, or so I thought.

When it rolled up on the dolly I pulled the parking brake, and nothing happened.Other than I ripped my finger to pieces.  I had put it in first and was holding the clutch in. It still hopped over the dolly before it stopped.  The guy had a jack that was barely tall enough to get the tow dolly off the ball. 

Then we chocked the tires on the dolly and pulled it over the dolly. Thankfully the little 4wd was just tall enough to get it over the dolly. 

Once it was loaded we left. 

We stopped at Autozone and got a trailer connector for the JGG. Then home. 

I hopped on Gertie and we jump started the D50. It actually ran. 

Once that was parked we moved the dump trailer to where it was accessible, then used Gertie to load scrap on it. We also went next door and got a broken dryer from the neighbor. 

Once the trailer was loaded I pulled the two phone poles out of the field and got them moved to the place we have been parking the tractor and dump trailer. It was on enough of an incline that if you didn't chock the tires the stuff would try to roll away. Now it is nice and level. I need more dirt though. 

IMG_20170904_164702.jpg

I came in and got in the shower. I was a bit nasty. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#4953 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 07:21 PM

Forgot to post the video of the little truck. Complete with underwear boy.

• KennyP said thank you

#4954 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 10,894 Thanks
  • 6,369 posts

Posted September 04, 2017 - 08:40 PM

I love those little trucks. I looked for one off and on several years ago. Never found one that didn't have the frame rotted apart or the body rotted off...

I put grew the desire to own one though.

#4955 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted September 05, 2017 - 07:19 PM

My body is trying to get back on third shift. again. 

86ec07c9a0b2cc33b5840ffb245e519b--coffee

I tossed and turned all night. When Steph's alarm went off at 6am I fell asleep for 4 hours. 

When I got up everyone was gone. I had 400 calls, texts, emails, and messages about the Dodge D50.  Everyone of them wanted to pay me 1/3 of what I was asking. They wanted to argue the value of the truck with no title. 

Finally a guy contacted me who wanted it for his wife to drive on their property. She didn't want to drive her shiny new Lincoln SUV through the mud. They didn't want to argue on the price. 

I went out and looked in the other vehicles in the yard for change. I only found $.80. Steph and Heath have been doing a good job. I have 25 pounds of change to take tomorrow. 

The bus came and Heath got off. 

The couple arrived and looked at the truck. They wanted to know how it went in 4lo. I put a little gas in the tank and started it up. In 4lo it will go about 5mph. if you turn off the key it just stops. The lady has knee problems and cannot walk 800 feet to the mailbox.

While they were there the mail man showed up with packages. Emily left for work.

They paid me, we loaded the truck on the dolly and took it to their house. 

After some gabbing I headed home. 

Heath and I stopped at a store and got a snack then to the house. 

My neighbor has hurt her hand and cannot work. She had a TV that she wanted to sell. I went over and got it. I didn't even try to take it out of the box. 

I came home and flopped in my recliner. 

I got a box from LarryBl for Heath. It was a pair of boxing gloves. He put them on and ran to terrorize his sister about 5 minutes later they came running through with her wearing the gloves. 

At some point the video will load of him showing them off. 

Oh, and remember when I said the lightening struck close to me.

IMG_20170905_174006.jpg

I was standing about 15 feet from those trees. 

Edited by UncleWillie, September 05, 2017 - 07:25 PM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#4956 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 7,470 Thanks
  • 4,584 posts

Posted September 05, 2017 - 07:24 PM

Can't wait for the video!. PS do you happen to have a grass deflector for a 50" deck?

#4957 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted September 05, 2017 - 07:25 PM

Can't wait for the video!. PS do you happen to have a grass deflector for a 50" deck?

Send me a picture of the deck

• larrybl said thank you

#4958 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,470 Thanks
  • 4,584 posts

Posted September 05, 2017 - 07:31 PM

Last post in the Hulk II thread, here it is again. It is a Craftsman brand, 50" though, All the brackets and mandrels are the same. Only thing it needs is the Shute. I don't plan on using a top cover as this will be a mowing deck.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1200307.jpg

#4959 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted September 05, 2017 - 07:55 PM

Last post in the Hulk II thread, here it is again. It is a Craftsman brand, 50" though, All the brackets and mandrels are the same. Only thing it needs is the Shute. I don't plan on using a top cover as this will be a mowing deck.

I don't think I do, but I will check. 

#4960 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,470 Thanks
  • 4,584 posts

Posted September 05, 2017 - 09:32 PM

Saw the video :) See black eyes in your future. Be careful what you ask for. Glad he liked them.

#4961 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 942 posts

Posted September 06, 2017 - 09:55 AM

Speaking of lightning. This tree was about 50' from the house. When the bark came off the tree it was like shrapnel and damaged a lot of siding.

2004-08-19-005.JPG

#4962 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 10,490 Thanks
  • 5,096 posts

Posted September 06, 2017 - 12:47 PM

Had lightning strike about 200 yards north of the yard one night several years ago.  It ran down a tree like you show and jumped to a fence post next to it and blew it to smitherines and fried the four strands of barbed wire.  In the morning five of my goldfish were belly up in the pond next to the house. We figured the concussion killed them.  I know it sure woke us up out of a dead sleep.

• KennyP said thank you

#4963 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted September 06, 2017 - 02:08 PM

Had lightning strike about 200 yards north of the yard one night several years ago.  It ran down a tree like you show and jumped to a fence post next to it and blew it to smitherines and fried the four strands of barbed wire.  In the morning five of my goldfish were belly up in the pond next to the house. We figured the concussion killed them.  I know it sure woke us up out of a dead sleep.

Yikes. 

I know that the lightening would have had to move to get me because I was 14 feet in the air and 40 feet away .0000000004 seconds after it struck. I didn't even have time to poop my pants. They guy I was talking to on the phone thought someone had shot me. 

• olcowhand, larrybl, Gtractor and 2 others have said thanks

#4964 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,470 Thanks
  • 4,584 posts

Posted September 06, 2017 - 02:27 PM

• oldedeeres said thank you

#4965 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 5,804 posts

Posted September 06, 2017 - 02:59 PM

My wife was camping with her sister a few years ago in a tent. She was sleeping on an aluminum fold out cot. Lightening struck about a mile away, traveled through the ground, her leg was lying on one of the bars, she got about a 6" burn from it. She threw the cot out of the tent, packed her stuff and home she came.

• Gtractor, KennyP, UncleWillie and 1 other said thanks