daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 08:55 AM

He's lucky to have you to call on.  Seems like he is well into his turnaround.  You are a good man.

#482 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 09:33 PM

Today I have done three days worth of work.

And it feels like it.

7am we were off and running. Coffee made, clothes donned, truck loaded and hit the road. First stop Claremont.

Pulled out in the road and buckled my seat belt and felt something on my hand. Looked down and my knuckle that I ran the angle grinder across was bleeding like mad. Steph grabbed the first aid kit and it only had tiny band aids in it. I wrapped it with a rag and we stopped at Dollar General and she ran in to grab some gauze and tape. With the flow of blood staunched we forged onward.

We headed up to get a wrecked race car ( which I forgot to take pics of) if you can call it a race car. It is a 96 Eagle Summit that the guy drove into the wall at the track. He said the engine had too much power. The engine was stock. I did my best not to snicker. The car did not want to come along.

After a prolonged wrestling match it was finally beaten into submission and filled up with all sorts of miscellaneous scrap metal the guy had laying around, then was thoroughly restrained.

Next stop was up in Taylorsville. On the way I met another guy with a nice hat.

IMG_20130322_115204_196_zps8bc10268.jpg

Seems I forgot that the wiring on the trailer lights got mangled. I also forgot that the tags were expired on it. Then I realized I forgot to take the trailers registration out of the WarBeast and put it in the BlueOx. He was nice. At one point he came back up to check the VIN on the truck. He asked how many 94 Suburbans I had. He laughed a lot. Gave me a fix it ticket and I left on my way to the next stop.

Wound our way down a tiny one way street – that halfway up had a dead end sign – and got to the next stop. Loaded more misc scrap into the Eagle and then headed on to the third stop.

Made a quick stop at Wendy's for burgers and then drove to the middle of Hickory to toss even more junk in the car.

At 3pm we pulled in to the driveway and I started to tinker with Buddy’s truck.

Didn't take me long to get the battery problem fixed and then start to look for parts to fix the door latch. While I was looking up part numbers to see if an S10 door latch was the same as a 91 full-size, Steph reminded me that we had a 96 Tahoe in the strategic parts reserve.

A quick check showed that the numbers were the same and I proceeded to dig the door out to harvest the parts. While I was cross referencing numbers I discovered that the door latch was $125 used. Yikes.

By the time Buddy showed up I had the replacement part pulled and had his door 80% torn apart.

If you have never replaced the door latch assembly on a GMT400 you haven’t lived. It is insanity inducing. You cannot see what you are doing. Everything feels the same. Everything controls something different.

After I had the latch installed I moved on to his worn out door pins and bushings. Usually I can do door pins on these truck in about 30 minutes. Not so today. Right off the bat I saw that the roller pin was broken. I had Steph call NAPA and they said they had one. Buddy's wife said she would go get it.

Pam came back with a regular door pin. I called NAPA. The guy said he had just sold it to a lady. I told him he had not. After a brief discussion of his intelligence he said they did not have a roller pin.

Made a call to NAPA in Lincolnton. They had one but were closing in 15 minutes. They were 20 minutes away.

Made a call to Autozone. They had one.

After promising his wife that the truck would be headed home this evening she left and buddy and I ran up to get the pin.

Got back and started replacing the pins. The roller pin would not go in. It seems that the Dorman part is slightly different than factory. After some fighting and a judicious application of the Dremel tool it went in – after 30 minutes.

Got it all put back together nice an pretty looking and then I closed the door. I heard a tinkling noise and then the door would not open from the outside.

I almost tore the door off and threw it across the county.

Tore it back apart and the clips that hold the rods on broke and fell out.

I know I have some around here somewhere, but I could not lay my hands on them. Called AZ and they had some. I asked the guy how many were in each pack. He said he didn't know. I asked if he could go look. He said oh I didn't think about that. Duuuuuuuuh. He came back on the phone and told me one per pack.

Buddy and I got in the BlueOx and left. Steph and Heath went to the grocery store.

Having procured the clips and returned home the door latch was reassembled. I was tired. Buddy was tired. We started picking up tools.

Steph came home and went in the house then came right back out. She asked if we liked the pork chops. We had not been in the house. Carmel helped herself to 3 pork chops and half a pan of mac and cheese. I told her to order pizza.

At 915 I finally staggered into the house. And fell into the bathtub. Now significantly less greasy I am eating pizza.

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#483 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 06:20 AM

Quite a day!

#484 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 09:17 AM

I take it you buddy's truck is fixed now,  how many lectures did he get today?  :rolling:

#485 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 12:29 PM

Well everything I was working on is fixed with teh exception of the door panel. All the trim clips were broken and I was out of them so he took it home with no panel on it. I will get some more and go down and pop it in next week.

Next project is to rebuild the front end.

It has been a good old truck. He bought it used back in 2000 and we have done very little work to it. Nothing major ever. It stays over loaded with tile tools and materials. I think the longest it has ever stayed clean was the week  they took my extra cab pickup with the topper to camp packed full of luggage and I drove his truck.

Funny thing. I nearly bought his truck. I was looking for one and I was actually test driving his truck when I drove past the WarWagon with a for sale sign on it. It was exactly what I was looking for so I bought the WarWagon. I told Buddy about it and he said to call the guy and say it was sold. If it was good enough for me to want to buy he wanted it. Since his truck is a year newer and smaller (regular cab) it has been called LittleSister since the day he bought it.

• olcowhand, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#486 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:51 AM

Took it easy yesterday. I was so tired and sore I had a couple shots of Makers Mark sleeping medicine and when I went to bed Friday night that Steph said I was asleep before the light went out. Slept in and then about noon went out to survey the damage to the shop from Buddy putting my tools in there.

IT looked like a grenade went off in my tool box. Took a couple of hours to fix that then tinkerer around for a couple of hours. Finally came in and had chicken for dinner.

Today I don't have anything planned. Might go out find something to get into later, but no plans.

#487 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 10:07 AM

Isn't it raining pretty good there Willie? Is here!  Like you, yesterday I slept in till 9am.  Needed it, but sleeping past 8am almost always guarantees me a day long headache, which I had.   Ibuprofins salvaged the day.

#488 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 02:08 PM

Yeah it is pouring rain here. Wife went out to collect eggs and came back looking like a drowned rat. Rain is playing havoc with my arthritis.

#489 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 02:12 PM

Yeah it is pouring rain here. Wife went out to collect eggs and came back looking like a drowned rat. Rain is playing havoc with my arthritis.

Authur visits me too.  My wrist has been bothering me, and pains in my knees.  Just keepin on keepin on is the best medicine.  You take anything for it?  I'm on Meloxicam.  Without it I have huge problems.  Before I got on the meds, some days I could barely hold a milker....just too darn painful.  Life is much easier now.  All I spend besides checkups is $2 per month for the meds.  I just take one every other day.

#490 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 03:05 PM

Nothing they have given me in pill form helps much. I have lidoderm patches that I wear that help until I get sweaty and they fall off. Other wise I just tough it out.

#491 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 07:23 PM

Good day in hat land.

Got up and leisurely enjoyed my coffee before heading out into the windy outdoors.. Had to put rocks in my pocket to keep from getting blown off. I received a text message from a scrap yard saying if I got the coupon out of the Iwanna Paper I would get an extra 5% on my load so I made a note to stop and get a paper.

We spent some time getting the aluminum out of the race car. It had all just got tossed inside and it was a tangled mess. Had to use the mobile crane to drag a 3.8L engine block out because I was sure not lifting that thing again. Then I pulled the aluminum timing cover and pistons out and put the steel block back in the car. Also pulled out an aluminum transmission. I will take it apart later.

IMG_20130325_121224_340_zps7ae887a2.jpg

Racing team name is pretty appropriate

fc1c47e8-e243-4170-a0fb-61229f135002_zps

After all the radiators and electric motors and aluminum bits were removed I loaded Carmel up in the BlueOx and left. Steph had to go to the dump so she was leaving when Heath woke up from his nap.

First stop was the gas station to get an Iwanna paper. I sat out in the parking lot and looked for the coupon. There was none. I sent a text back to them and said there was no coupon and headed out again.

Carmel and I went by the vet to get her stitches taken out. Took about 10 minutes and we were back in the truck and headed to Waco.

Pulled across the scales. Went to get unloaded, then back across the scales again. Then Carmel and I went in the office. I asked the manager about the coupon and he said he had just heard about it himself. They were trying to figure out what was going on with it. Corporate had sent me the text. So I got my money and left.

As I was almost home I got a text back from corporate saying if I took the paper in they would honor the coupon even though it wasn’t in there. Oh well. If she had just replied about 20 minutes earlier.

Back at home I let Carmel out of the truck and took her around to the dog pen for the first time since she got hurt. I told Diesel and Red to sit and opened the gate. Red took off like a bullet. Carmel was trying to get in the pen but red was all over her. I got her in the pen and he ran around like he was on crack and would not listen to me. When he finally went back in the pen Diesel gave him a stern warning about not listening. I left him to his punishment and went inside.

While I waited for Steph and Heath to get home so I could take Christine to Newton I put an ad up for Red on CL. We just don't have the time to train an new dog. Hopefully someone will call about him soon. He is a good dog, but he needs more time than we have right now. I would really like to find his owners providing that he wasn't abandoned, but no luck so far.

While I waited I got a call from a mechanic buddy saying he had a 95 Prelude he was selling and asked if I knew anyone wanting one. I have a neighbor that just totaled one and was looking for a replacement body.

Once they got home I saddled up and left again. The neighbor was out in his yard so I pulled in. He had bought a new truck and given up on the prelude and was parting it out. No sale for my friend.

Didn't take me long to get to Newton and pick up a truck load of goodies. Not quite a KennyP deal, but I was able to leave my pistol holstered for the transaction. Got all 3 for $50 all in good shape.

IMG_20130325_193855_140_zpsa5defbe0.jpg

IMG_20130325_193925_133_zps71a6c960.jpg

On the way home I stopped by a cigar shop then went to my buddy' Micheal's garage. He was swamped. His other mechanic was on vacation and a friend was helping him out with a couple of things. One was an oil change on Kia Rio. He could not get the oil filter wrench on the filter and couldn't turn it by hand. I reached in with both hands and grabbed it and with a mighty turn got it loose. When Micheal came back in the shop after dealing with a customer he asked if the two of us could handle an oil change. Then he grabbed an oil bottle, lost his grip, and promptly poured oil all down his pants. We laughed till we nearly fell down. I wish I could have videoed it.

After an hour or so of messing around the garage he closed up and I came home.

Pork chops and Mashed taters for dinner. My recliner is sure more comfortable than Christine's cramped interior.

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#492 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 08:41 PM

Pork chops and Mashed taters for dinner. My recliner is sure more comfortable than Christine's cramped interior.

You got to eat them this time? Or did the pup luck out again?

• UncleWillie said thank you

#493 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 08:54 PM

LOL no i got them this time.

Oh and this was at my friends shop I tried to steal it

862956_485919001475365_484181195_n.jpg?o

• olcowhand said thank you

#494 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 08:58 PM

1979? Or were you eyeballing the Outback?

#495 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 09:14 PM

Yep 79 Z28 all it really needed was carpet and the drivers seat recovered