MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,979 Thanks
  • 29,758 posts

Posted August 18, 2017 - 07:05 PM

Heat index was 103. My back pain was 301. Nothing was done today. 

bon-fire-coffee-pot--tea-pot-red-enamel-

When 103 and 301 happen, it's like a number 2 storm and the only cure is a big bottle of old number 7
  • Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4922 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted August 19, 2017 - 05:28 PM

When 103 and 301 happen, it's like a number 2 storm and the only cure is a big bottle of old number 7

Trust me. IT wasn't #7 but it was 100 proof

Yesterday the internet got so bad that I had to call AT&T.

20842174_10155814341094739_1049812907327950889_n.jpg

When the gal looked up my account the computer said to dispatch a tech. She didn't even want to trouble shoot it. 

Today didn't quite go like I wanted it to. 

At 530 we were up. 

miserable-project-manager-coffee.jpg

At 6 we were outside. Well, Steph and I were, Heath was snoring. I got on Delilah and Steph got on the Craftsman and we got to mowing. 

The backwards steering on Delilah is weird. I still haven't gotten completely used to it. 

After we got all the accessible stuff mowed, we stopped to shuffle vehicles and trailers around. There has been a garden tractor trailer full of irony aluminum sitting next  to the carport for much longer than it should have. So I hopped on the Craftsman and Steph hooked the trailer up. And the clutch would not release. I got on Gertrude and pulled it to the aluminum pile. Once we unloaded and unhooked the trailer I pulled the tractor over to the shade behind the Suburban, then I picked it up with Gertie.

After some looking I realized I couldn't see anything.  We had to pull the seat pan off.

While we were doing that the AT&T guy showed up. We pointed him to the box and kept on working. 

I a few minutes we discovered that the clutch pulleys were locked up. We looked all over for WD40 or PB blaster and could not find any. So Steph left in Christine to get some. 

The phone guy said for some odd reason I had 84 volts on my line instead of 40. The 40 is the ring tone. So he left to try to figure it out. There are 4 phone boxes I can see from my house. He stopped at all of them. 

I pulled BettyBlue over to the freshly mowed work area and started installing the starter. I had the old one out when Steph got home. 

We finished up the Craftsman then she mowed where the trucks had been parked while I put the starter back on. 

She finished mowing. We played Automotive Tetris and put everything  back where it belonged. I was moving the dump trailer with Gertie and my wet boot slipped off the clutch and I hit the house. I damaged the underpinning, but nothing major. 

Steph found a place we missed and got on the GT5000 to mow that.

Then I jump started  TheReaper ( there is a name you haven't heard in a while) and went to the far side of the flower bed to mow, and TheReaper died. I waved for Steph to bring the jumper cables. We hooked up TheReaper and we pulled some weeds out of the bed. There were lots of them. 

TheReaper started and then died. I checked the fuel. It had just a light sheen of gas in the tank. Once she had fuel she fired right up. But the blades would not engage. I drove it back to the forsale tree. Then I realized that Heath had managed to lower the deck to the lowest position. It was mowing dirt. WHen I raised it up it mowed just fine. I mowed around the forsale tree and parked TheReaper.

I got on Gertie and we put more water heaters in the dump trailer. I went back for one more and Gertie ran out of fuel. I really need to fix the gauge. I shut her off and let her roll back down the hill and parked her. We tossed the diesel can in the back of BettyBlue and then came in to take a break. 

After a bit Tim called. He needed help getting an antique wood burning cook stove out of his house. So we all loaded up in BettyBlue and went down. 

The stove was heavy, but we got it loaded in the guys truck who bought it. 

Tim was trying to get the home made headache rack off his big Ford flatbed. It was not very well done and and rattled so bad you couldn't stand to be in the same county with it, let alone in it. He was trying to figure out how to get it off without busting the back glass. We helped him. 

When he backed the Ford tractor he was using BettyBlue was in the way. I ran to move it, and it would not start. It didn't even click. Dangit. 

Tim had a VW on his lift. We pushed it off and got BB up on the lift.

20914352_10155818193399739_5579230116835301841_n.jpg

I took a socket on a 1/4 inch ratchet and put it on the nut for the power wire. 

20914403_10155818174604739_1774152965005119245_n.jpg

It broke off. It had been broken for a while, and the starter had been under water at some point, it was full of mud. Oh well, junk yard parts are a crap shoot. Too bad the yard is ins TN. 

I pulled the solenoid off and Steph took Tim's PT cruiser to the parts house. Tim took the big tractor back to its owner next door. Heath got bored and started pulling a floor jack around the shop.

Tim's grandson came over and he and Heath went bonkers.

Tim go back and we started a serious bull session. 

Steph called and said that AZ wanted $100 for the solenoid! It was not the stock starter, it was supposed to be an upgrade. The stock starter was only $39. She got one. 

She got back and I put the starter in. The lift came down, Steph backed off the lift......and lost the clutch. After some looking I found the problem. The hydraulic line had broken in the exact same place it did here.

I called O'riellys and they could not find where I bought that one. Figures. 

Tim pushed BB back up on the lift with his JD front end loader. I pulled the line out. 

Tim took us home, but would not let me ride in the cab of his truck LOL. I was nasty, grease, grass, dirt, gravel, oil, brake fluid. I was a mess. So we all got in the bed and rode. 

It took me a good while to get clean in the shower. Then I put Heath in a bubble bath. He came out fairly clean. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 3 others have said thanks

#4923 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 09:45 AM

I typed this once and messed up and deleted it. I am not typing it all again. Here is the Readers Digest Condensed version. 

Yesterday I rested.

slar.jpg

We waited till the clutch line came in at 330 and Steph went to get it. 

Tim called and said we may want to wait. His shop was 120 inside. It had been closed up all day and it is a metal building. My back was not happy with Saturdays work so we elected to wait. 

Since I searched this thread and found the date we bought the old line, Steph gave the date to the counter guy. He looked it up, and although it didn't have a name associated with it, it was the only one sold on that date ( or probably any other day in October) and they honored the warranty.

This morning Steph and I were up at 530. At 6 we were in Tim't shop. 

After wrestling the line in place we bled it. I had Tim raise the lift just high enough for me to sit under it. I didn't want to have to stand and try to bleed it. 

Steph pumped the clutch, Tim kept the  reservoir  full. I worked the bleeder. In a few minutes it was working. 

At 645 we had BettyBlue back on the ground, and had the VW Cabriolet back on the lift. We gave him a hand doing some diagnosing. We think the fuel pump is gone. 

After solving the worlds problems for a bit, we headed out. I took BettyBlue to the gas station for Diesel fuel. Steph came home and put the deck belt on the 242. 

I got home and drove down the hill next to Gertie. In the wet grass she slid a tiny bit and I scuffed the b pillar on the raised bucket of Gertie. I probably woke every on within 2 miles getting it backed up in the slick stuff. It didn't want to, but she did it. It is a one wheel drive so the 6 inches she moved was pretty impressive. 

Withe Gertie fueled, I fired her up. She choked and belched and finally ran right. Steph got BettyBlue back up the hill without having to be pushed. I think she was doing about 25 MPH when she hit the bottom (pretty quick for as short a run up as she had in the wet stuff) and barely got over the crest - but she got there. 

I used Gertie to get a stubborn water heater out of the pile. Steph came down to help load it. We got a few more heaters then got the big metal cabinet full of nuts and bolts. It was laying on its back and I knew if it stayed there much longer it was going to rust through then I would have a terrible mess. It took some finesse and muscle, but we finally got it out where Gertie could grab it. 

Then I got the plastic 55 gallon drum of misc metal parts and dumped it with Gertie.

We fired up the air compressor and filled the perpetually low tire on Gertie, plugged in the charger on the dump trailer, watered the rabbits, got the ride on tractor that Tim's grandson said he wanted Heath to have (they are best buddies), parked Gertie where she belonged, and came in. All before 830. Heath didn't even wake up and Emily never knew we left the house. 

Steph had an interview so she got in the shower, KitCat decided to join her and was not happy with the outcome. LOL. I am in my recliner. I doubt very much I will do much else as it was getting hot when I came in.

Later on I will pit on my eclipse gear and go take a gander. 

97101-rfg-97-rfg-97101rfg-97-97101s-main-s-main.jpg

Edited by UncleWillie, August 21, 2017 - 10:05 AM.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#4924 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted August 22, 2017 - 05:21 PM

Ever notice how when you give one child attention the other one wants it too.....

instanthuman_fullpic.png

This morning I was a bit slow getting moving. My back is really giving me fits. 

I finally got outside about 10 and used Gertie to turn the dump trailer around. Then we hooked it to TheKracken and strapped every thing down. 

We got to the scrap yard, pulled up on the scale, and shut the engine off. After the usual BS with the guys there I got back in the truck, turned the key, and it didn't start. It turned over, but did not start. The gauges were all normal. I thought it might not be getting fuel. 

Once of the loaders was coming up behind me with a car so I told him to just push me off the scale. 

I got a can of starting fluid and opened the hood. A blast of heat smacked me in the face. The coolant hoses were all pressurized like they should be so no way I was opening the radiator. I had another loader push me out of the yard to a parking spot on the side of the road under shade. 

After sitting for about 30 minutes it started up. 

We quickly got unloaded and weighed out. 

I parked back in the shade and opened the hood. we took our time getting back to the truck. 

When we got back I pulled the dipstick. Not good. Milkshake inside. 

It started right up so we drove to a nearby Chinese restaurant. We took an hour to eat. It was cool enough to open the radiator when we came out. 3 gallons of water later we were headed home with the heater on full blast. Traffic cooperated and we made it about 4 miles before the heater stopped putting out heat. The temp gauge only read 210. I don't think it is working right. We pulled into the police station parking lot.

I called a neighbor to come get Steph since she had an interview. She walked down to the police station to ask about water. There was a hose outside.

I dropped the hot radiator cap under the battery. Fortunately the old one was still in the back. 3 gallons of water later and it was full. 

Jenni showed up to get Steph Heath and I waited a while. 

Another 30 minutes and we got started and actually made it home. 

I parked in the back yard, unhooked the trailer, and it would not start again. 

I came inside. I am frustrated, but I am hoping it is a bad intake manifold gasket.

• olcowhand, Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#4925 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted August 24, 2017 - 11:56 AM

my-coffee-is-cold.png

I had planned to get up early yesterday morning and get a leakdown test done on the Kracken. Steph got an email in the evening about an interview at 10. No sense in us getting dirty just to run to take a shower and leave. SO I turned my alarm off.

At 5am I was awake. NO going back to sleep at all. 

I decided to get up and watch my latest YouTube addiction. C&Rsenal. If you like old weapons go watch them. Lots in in depth history and details on them.

Graham sent me a text that the hotel he works at had some refrigerators that needed to be gone. I told him we would be up later.

Sam texted and asked if I could change his brakes and timing belt this afternoon. I told him brakes yes, belt no way. I did look it up and see that it was a non interference engine. He can drive it till it breaks. 

At 9 we hooked BettyBlue to the small trailer and left.

Heath and I played on the playground while Steph went in to be interviewed. 

A lady showed up with her 5 year old so I got go sit in the shade. The difference in parenting styles soon became obvious. Everytime the other boy climbed on something she yelled to be careful. IF he fell down he had to run over to mommy to be brushed off. Heath, well, he was Heath.

Graham texted me that someone else had taken the fridges. Oh well. 

Steph got out and we headed out. We stopped at - you guessed it - Chickfila. I sat there eating and watching cars worth more than my house driving through. Those liberal attacks are just ruining business - not. 

We got over to the transmission shop and got the JollyGreenGiant. I have never driven it since we bought it. ANd since it had no AC\ I drove it home. 

I am not sure what has been done to the engine, but it runs like it was poked in the butt with a sharp stick. It will get to 55 like a car, not like a 6000 pound brick.

We got home and I attempted to fix the venturi vacuum pump. I didn't have any luck.

Sam and a friend showed up. We got the back of the van up in the air. The brakes are fine. He had a guy at a shop tell him it needed them. I told him the guy just wanted money. I then had to explain why he didn't need to change his timing belt. I have no idea if he understood. 

I tried to charge the ac in the JGG with no success. It most likely will need an orifice tube. 

We packed up the tools, Sam left, Steph went to get something she needed for dinner. 

A guy called about buying the Volvo. I hung up with no hope that he would actually show up.

She came back and made ummmm. I don't remember, must have been delicious.

I got on Facebook and found that Sam had hit a deer on the way home. That poor van. 

I could not get to sleep last night. When I did I was dead to the world. 

I woke up to a missed call, The guy who wanted the Volvo was wanting my address. He is driving from Knoxville, so I am sure it will be leaving with him. 

I was going to get up and 

#4926 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,988 Thanks
  • 47,152 posts

Posted August 24, 2017 - 01:44 PM

Asleep again?

#4927 cttandy OFFLINE  

cttandy
  • Member No: 87613
  • 103 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted August 24, 2017 - 03:09 PM

Sleep? I knew her once

#4928 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,979 Thanks
  • 29,758 posts

Posted August 24, 2017 - 06:23 PM

To be continued...
  • KennyP said thank you

#4929 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted August 24, 2017 - 06:53 PM

I have no idea what I was going to say lol

we_ll_be_friendsuntil_we_are_old_and_sen

This morning I woke up feeling like Steph had practiced origami with me last night. 

Actually it think the seat in the JollyGreenGiant is crooked and has me out of whack. 

Since I could not bend I elected to sit. 

I typed up a bill of sale for the Volvo and then sat some more.

Mamma rabbit was looking a bit bored, so Steph took her outside. As fat as she is, she was actually pretty active today. She was all over the back yard, with the outdoor cat following. 

WHen the guy who bought the Volvo showed up I went out. We traded some white papers for green ones, then I hopped on Gertie and moved the small trailer out of the way. The guy moved his truck and trailer around. 

I pushed the  Volvo up on the trailer with Gertie, we had put 2 tires in the bucket to pad things, then he strapped it down. Steph took the tires back where they belonged and put put Gertie to bed.

I came in and sat some more. 

Steph went out and found the rabbit. It had been under my dump trailer for 2 or so hours. She enjoyed her romp. 

IMG_20170824_194550.jpg

And one of the baby bunnies has gotten  very adventurous.

Speaking of bunnies, Steph made rabbit and dumplings for dinner. Yummmmmm.

Tomorrow, if I can stand, I will do the tests on TheKracken. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170824_194558.jpg

#4930 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

the homeless tractor hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 5,100 posts

Posted August 24, 2017 - 07:18 PM

Maybe those Furds aren't so bad afterall?  :poke:

Attached Thumbnails

• ford.jpg

• KennyP, UncleWillie and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4931 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted August 24, 2017 - 08:03 PM

I don't own anything with less than 250k on it. The Kracken has 400k. as

• Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#4932 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 7,257 Thanks
  • 7,595 posts

Posted August 25, 2017 - 05:28 AM

How did you make out with the 84 volts on your phone line ? Did they find the problem ?

#4933 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted August 25, 2017 - 03:02 PM

How did you make out with the 84 volts on your phone line ? Did they find the problem ?

Yeah a backup battery was short-circuited down the road it took him about two hours to find it but he did fix it

Edited by UncleWillie, August 25, 2017 - 04:55 PM.

#4934 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted August 25, 2017 - 06:06 PM

Cleaned house ummm shop today.

problem.png

We got out about 9 and got to work on TheKracken. After we did a leak down test on cylinders 1,3, and 5 I knew there was no use going any further. #1 was good. the other two had 90% leak down. So head gaskets are in order. 

While I was thinking on a course of action we got started working on cleaning up the shop so we could find tools when it came time to do repairs. 

After a couple of hours we had found most of my sockets and all but 2 of my ratchets. We kept on going and got almost everything back where it belongs. 

To keep Heath busy I gave him some shrink wrap and a pair of scissors. He worked on it for over an hour. Then I gave him a job cleaning up a pile of nut and bolts. He did manage to dump out one complete 1/4 inch socket drawer. At least we found all of them again.

At 3 we were supposed to go down to Gastonia to get a huge freezer. I sent the lady an email and we loaded up and left. I gave Steph the phone and GPS to put the address in. When I emailed the lady my phone deleted the email and we had no address. So we went to get something to eat and hoped they emailed me back. They didn't. 

We got back home and got to cleaning some more. We found all my cordless tools and 5 of the 8 batteries. I have no idea what Sam did with the other three. 

I also found my old leak down tester. We will take the new one back. No sense in having two if them.

I finally drilled holes in the round table for the vice. I have been clamping it down with vice grips. I also took the wire wheel to it and gave it a shot of paint to stop if from rusting so bad. 

IMG_20170825_1816101.jpg

I made a decision to not fix TheKracken just yet. I am going to fix the K2500 Suburban. The 4wd will let me get a lot more work done, and it will be a much better work truck since it has vinyl interior and rubber floor mats. 

The Fedex guy showed up while we were working with parts for a friend of Steph's car. She will bring it by Tuesday. It needs all 4 struts. A shop gave her a price of $1500. I got all 4 Monroe  struts  for $400. Complete with springs and mounts. All I have to do is pull the old ones out and stick the fresh ones in.

I cam in and took a shower. When I got out Heath got in . He got a purple fizzy bath egg. He was so filthy that the water still turned black and purple. He had been out in the shop in just a pair of shorts all day. 

Edited by UncleWillie, August 25, 2017 - 06:08 PM.

#4935 cttandy OFFLINE  

cttandy
  • Member No: 87613
  • 103 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted August 25, 2017 - 08:44 PM

I slept. In stages mind you, but I slept.