#4876 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted August 01, 2017 - 08:34 PM

Sounds like the heavy rods were off an old stave silo.  They bind the silo together.

I figured a cow man would know. 

BTW we got home and two more water heaters had sprouted in the front yard. 

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#4877 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 2,046 Thanks
  • 2,173 posts

Posted August 01, 2017 - 08:49 PM

Sounds like the heavy rods were off an old stave silo. They bind the silo together.

The silo probably fell or was bulldozed,that would explain them being mangled, a pic of the connectors would show what they are.
  • Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4878 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 9,450 Thanks
  • 4,749 posts

Posted August 02, 2017 - 10:58 AM

Fortune prediction: Heath will be wearing a mask on Halloween... or sooner, lol.

• Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#4879 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted August 02, 2017 - 05:35 PM

I have not been sleeping all that well. 

Last night I got 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep. The most I have had in a month. 

caffeine_drinks.jpg

Heath and I took the van to the scrap yard at noon. Steph had an interview so it was just us guys.

aaaaaaride.jpg

We got our Dr. Pepper out of the machine at the pay window and headed home.

Steph was just going out the door when we got home. Emily left for work shortly after that. 

I have done nothing else today. 

Tomorrow I have to make up for that. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#4880 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted August 03, 2017 - 08:06 PM

Another long one. 

Nemo-hotel-Export-products-015213055204.png

This morning I had to be in Gastonia at 8 to look at a car Emily is interested in. 4

After checking it out we headed home. She is still a bit light on the money right now. 

When I walked in the door Steph was standing there in her work clothes so I left Heath and Emily at the house, and we hopped on Gertrude for a ride down to Ben's. 

The ride down was great. However, I pulled in his driveway and it ran out of fuel. I shut it down before it died. They had some so I poured a couple of gallons in. I drove it 50 yards and we started to get the 300+ pound concrete slab into the bucket. I didn't want to tear up the yard so I got off and used a pry bar to push it back. 

Gertie died. I looked in the filter and it was full of water. We drained it out. He said he had another can of fuel that he knew was clean. I put it in. We got loaded up and headed back down the driveway. It started choking out. I shut it off and the filter was full of water again. 

I called Emily to come get Steph. I drained the fuel out and Heath and I waited. 

Tim had a truck he wanted mt to look at so he came and got us and we looked at it. It is a 2000 Blazer. I told him to take it to my house and I would try to get it running. He took us back. 

A short time later Steph arrived with fresh fuel and a fuel filter. It took a bit to get Gertie to fire again, but she did. 

On the drive home she started to lose power for about 2 seconds, but picked right up and ran. I am guess in air bubble. 

Back home the slab got put in front of her building and I came in to sit. My back was killing me. Too much bending too early. 

A short time later A guy called who had the shell of a Miata that his daughters girlfriend had abandoned there in Concord close to the race track. 

Tim wanted to use the dump trailer so it got hooked to TheKracken and we went down. I left he dumper and got his flatbed. trailer. 

The drive up was completely uneventful. It took a bit longer to get the shell loaded, but it was not too terrible. 

We left for home. I was exhausted. Heath was hungry. We went thru a drive thru and headed home. 

20638406_10155765667139739_5242937523328543349_n.jpg

Back at the 85 junction traffic was stopped. So we detoured around and came thru Gastonia. At a red light we noticed steam coming out from under the hood. Oops.

We pulled into a tiny park and I thought that it was the upper radiator hose. I taped up what I thought was leaking. A guy there had a couple of bottles of water we poured in and we left for Pepboys.

Steph went inside. I went to take the hose off the rad. When I turned the clamp the whole upper inlet came off in my hand. I sent Steph a text to come back out. I had the hood open a couple of days ago and caught Heath standing on that hose. 

I called AAA and they would tow my truck, but not the trailer. I called Tim. He said he would be down in a bit. 

I thought I could grease the tow drivers palm and get him to pull it. He wanted $125. That is a lot of grease. 

The tow truck left with Steph and Heath. I waited with the trailer. 

20638331_10155765945324739_7829262645649315901_n.jpg

Sexy car aint it. 

Tim got there a short time later. 

We got home and found that Steph already had the radiator out of the parts truck and was pulling the busted one out of TheKracken.

I took the spare radiator and stuck the garden hose in one inlet and plugged the other with my hand. IT leaked. 

I looked around and the white 4x4 had a radiator on the roof. I went and looked at it. A perfect match. I tested it out and deemed it acceptable. A new one is $200. 

Then I got out a couple of quarts of transmission fluid and flushed both the oil and trans coolers.

We stuck it back in place and called it a day. We will finish the install tomorrow. We were both exhausted.

#4881 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 07:20 PM

Long day. 

This morning my back was screaming. It turns out that picking up the Miata to put it on the jack came back to bite me. No surprise. 

il_570xN.908277927_4bq7.jpg

Steph went and put the radiator in TheKracken while I tried to get moving. 

While I was laying here with a sore shoulder and back my heating pad started making odd noises.

IMG_20170804_113916.jpg

While I was resting I got a call from a guy on the other side of Charlotte who had 2 vehicles. He said he had an 87 Buick Century and a Plymouth van. I gave him a price. He liked it.

Once Steph had the rad in,  I went out to check her work. There was one radiator cooling line that would not seal. I put some Teflon tape on it and problem solved. 

After a test drive, we hooked TheKracken to Tim's trailer, and BettyBlue to the tow dolly. 

We headed down to Shelby and unloaded the Miata carcass. A whopping $74. LOL. Fortunately it was free. 

I did see this car that I really want to story on.

IMG_20170804_134730.jpg

Many bullet holes. 

Once the X-foils were locked in place we hit hyper-drive and set course for Charlotte. 

IMG_20170804_140612.jpg

When we got there I found that the guy did not have a Century. He had an 87 Buick Electra. A freaking tank. I was glad we had Tim's big trailer. 

IMG_20170804_164707.jpg

And then we had to use the come-along to get it loaded. 

IMG_20170804_194450.jpg

Then we left. 

Heath put in a request for .....Chickfila. Not a surprise. 

When we got there we found the playground was closed. I asked and they said someone had an accident in it and they had disinfected it and waiting for it to dry. 

IMG_20170804_162059.jpg

Behold the face of disappointment.

The drive home was a chore. There was a wreck on i-85. We got off on 74 and so did everyone else on earth. IT took us about 30 minutes to go 8 miles. I finally got to a side road and we took the long way home. When we passed over 85 it was a parking lot. 

It took us an hour longer to get home, but we were moving. We got seperated at one point, and since she wasn't comfortable towing, I pulled over to wait. 5 minutes later she caught up to me. 

We finally got home. Steph was terrified to pull the van that far, but she did a good job.

When we  looked in side the van and made Heath a very happy boy.

IMG_20170804_185541.jpg

About 30 feet of bubble wrap.  He flapped and flopped around on it for a long time. 

The outdoor cat, Phantom, came over and sat down about 15 feet away. He never gets close to me, because I am the one that put him out of the house for peeing on my foot - many times. He refused to use the litter box. However, I had Chickfila leftovers. I sat on the ground and called him over and he came running. We sat and fed him then he got more attention than he has had in a long time. We all three petted him for about 15 minutes. Then he had enough and left. I was dumbfounded that he was actually rubbing on me. 

IMG_20170804_194515.jpg

I went back to start Gertie and found that Heath had turned the key on and left it all night. I had Steph pull TheKracken over and jumped it off. Then we moved the new crop of water heaters to the scrap pile. And moved the tires that came with the Miata to the tire pile. 

We came in and showered. Steph declared that supper tonight was leftovers. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#4882 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

G-agressive tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 9,311 Thanks
  • 4,948 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 07:41 PM

In the first pic....

I hope that cat is weaned.  :poke:  :rolling:

• Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#4883 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 1,397 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 09:08 PM

Jeez, I woulda been running around more excited than Heath with all that bubble wrap!

This supposed to know better stuff can wait a while, it's bubble wrap😂
  • Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4884 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted August 05, 2017 - 06:37 PM

Soooo many hours today.

I, for reasons  completely unknown to me, awoke at 4am. I had a whole 4 hours of sleep. 

trendy-coffee-quotes-wallpaper-20.jpg

At 8 my alarm went off and I poked Steph with a sharp stick, from a safe distance, till she gained consciousness. 

Then we got in the trucks and left. Emily and Heath were still snoring. 

We got to the scrap yard at 8:20, the web site said they opened at 8. They opened at 9. Oh well. 

When they opened the gate we were the first two trucks through. Half of the county was behind us. 

TheKracken was a wee bit heavy.

IMG_20170805_090127.jpg

The Buick got snatched off by the loader.

I didn't want Steph jack knifing BettyBlue so I told her to unload on the scale. She did. People got mad. Since I had the rest of the yard blocked so I don't know why. 

Once I got back around to weigh out I saw this poor guy who wished he made better life choices.

IMG_20170805_091816.jpg

Then we hustled home. The tow dolly got snatched off of BettyBlue and then Emily and I left for Gastonia.

After some running around and spreading some Benjamins, we came home with Emily's first car.

IMG_20170805_115113.jpg

On the way home, Ben's wife called. He passed away yesterday. He had been sick for a long time. 

I sat down for a few minutes, then I was informed that we were going out to eat and I was ordered into the shower, and some good clothes.

Before we left we found KitCat asleep.

IMG_20170805_142542.jpg

And Mamma Sky posed for a picture. 

IMG_20170805_142546.jpg

Before we got too far we stopped and saw Andrea, Ben's wife.  He did not want a funeral. She is doing better than I expected. 

We drove down to Gaffney to the discount shoe store and I got a new pair of steel toes. Then we went to Cracker Barrel and ate. Sam and his sister Sarah were workign tonight. I didn't realize that was the one they worked at. Sarah was our waitress. 

Once we were stuffed we headed to the gas station. Gas there was $.14 cheaper in SC.

Then we headed back up 85 to Shelby. Heath wanted a tank. Steph wasn't having any luck finding one for him. We decided to look at HobbyLobby. We found one. 

We headed home. The tan broke before we got here. It isn't made very well.

I spent about 30 minutes looking for some screws to fix it with. I only found one. I managed to get it to work.

I am worn out. I think I will sleep more than 4 hours tonight.

Edited by UncleWillie, August 05, 2017 - 06:39 PM.

• Gtractor, MH81, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#4885 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted August 06, 2017 - 07:13 PM

I made up for the lack of sleep this week. 

I went to sleep at about 1130 last night. I woke up at 10 this morning. I didn't wake up once. I slept so hard I had no idea what day it was.

waking-dead-feat.png

Once I for my bearings we loafed around a bit. At 1 we had to go to Gastonia to get a Ford Expedition. 

As we were leaving Tim stopped by. He just wanted to harass us.

We left a short time later. 

When we got on 321 there was a traffic jam so we turned around. Or we tried to. When we stopped steam came out from under the hood. 

I got to a parking lot and opened the hood. A quick connect heater hose connection had come apart. We had plenty for water in the truck and I got the line stuck back together enough to get to the parts house. 

Those connectors can be a problem to get out sometimes. If they break there is no hope for it, but a small chisel and patience.  Fortunately, it came right out. 

With a new connector procured it was simply a matter of installation, filling the radiator, and leaving. I got a new radiator cap too. 

By the time the Expedition was on the trailer I was soaked in sweat. 

Tony's ice cream is just about a mile from where we were. So we headed on over. 

After a couple of hotdogs, Step hand I had a hot fudge ice  cream cake. Heath, odd boy that he is, wanted a pack of Dolly Madison powdered doughnuts. 

We got home and Steph left in BettyBlue to run some errands. Heath went with her. 

When they got back we fired up Gertie and pulled the Furd off the trailer. The tractor had a flat and we aired it up. After the truck was on the ground we took the trailer back to Tim. 

Back home we attempted to start the Furd. It will run on starting fluid, but will not pick up fuel. It may be worth parting out. Gertie pushed it out of the way.

When I was parking the tractor I found a 3 inch screw sticking out of Gertie's tire. Once that was plugged I parked her and called it a day. 

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#4886 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted August 08, 2017 - 02:02 PM

I think I am going to have an aneurysm.

Yesterday it rained. 

NO sense in going out and drowning. 

I did make a video on the Expedition.

And waited for the idiots to call. 

At 3 we went down to the memorial for Ben. Lots of people came. Ben would have loved it. We had a horrible bottle of wine. Heath and Calvin ran around like maniacs. I think it was good for Calvin. I sat him down and talked to him a bit. 

We were back home at around 530. 

A guy came and bought the grill off the Expedition. 

This morning I got up and Emily and I went to the license agency. Only to find out that I needed my license, and I left it at home. 

When we got back we went in and they told us all the reasons that she cannot get a NC license. She didn't take drivers ed ( even though she has been driving for a year and a half, She isn't enrolled in a NC public school ( even though she is taking online classes and will graduate in 2 days). She didn't have the right insurance paper I even though we had exactly what they wanted).

So we came home. 

I called the insurance company. They finally understood what the guy wanted. I still have no idea.

I called the NC Dept of Education. I have to start a home school. It will take 2 weeks for that go get done. She will have been graduated before we are officially a school. 

Then she has to take Drivers ed. Somehow she has to go to work and attend college while she is doing that.

I think I am going to pour whiskey in my coffee and call it a day. 

Oh wait I can't I have a guy who is supposed to come look at the Expedition. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20151028-5-cent-coffee-shutterstock.jpg

#4887 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted August 08, 2017 - 03:32 PM

And the Furd just left. yahooo.

• MH81, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4888 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

G-agressive tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 9,311 Thanks
  • 4,948 posts

Posted August 08, 2017 - 06:01 PM

I'm with the government and I'm here to help you!

Your state has some seriously communistic regulations.  :(

• Craig., KennyP and UncleWillie have said thanks

#4889 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 05:55 PM

Today I got slightly motivated.

I got up with the goal to repair both JD tractors. 

coffee-health-benefits-surprising.jpg

We got outside about 11. I said I was motivated, not in a hurry.

After getting the drive belt on the LX188, I sent Steph to get gas. I fired up the pressure washer and blasted the years of accumulated gunk off the transaxle and other parts that were under the seat pan. While I was cleaning it I managed to pop the feel line grommet out of the tank. It disintegrated.

When I turned the pressure washer off it back fired. Humm

When Steph got back I hopped in BettyBlue and ran to Napa. After searching the books the guy put the part number in the computer. They had exactly one grommet stock. SO I left with it. 

Back home I got the fuel line reinstalled and put the tank on. Then I realized I didn't put the trans fan on it.

I put the trans fan on it. However, the spring washers I bought were too small. So I ran to Ace and got bigger spring washers, and a light spring that was big enough to go over the shaft of the trans axle. 

Back home I realized there was no way the spring washers were going to work. They were way to stiff. So I used the spring. I had to cut about a half inch off it.

Then we used Gertie to pick up the rear of the 188. 

I started the JD up and it the trans would not work.  After some head scratching and poking at things I realized the parking brake lever was broken. So we went to the tractor pile. The first lever I attempted to harvest was over ripe and split open. The second was just right. 

After carefully installing it I was able to take the brake off and then things stated working.

I was going to wash the seat pan before putting it back on. I could not get the pressure washer started. I pulled and pulled and pulled, and pulled the rope out of it. Dangit. So it went on dirty.

We grabbed the deck with Gertie and carried over. While it was dangling we pulled the blades off it. I started to sharpen them and found that my grinder wheel was worn to a nub. I had one I snagged a HF and put it on. It wobbled badly. NO matter what I did I could not stop the wobble. So I got a bit piece of scrap metal and used that to sort of true it up. Last time I buy a wheel from HF. 

When I stepped out of the building my back went wonky and I nearly fell down.

The blades were nice and sharp, so they went back on. Then the deck went on. Then we could not find the primary deck belt. After looking all over I decided to just put the deck belt on the 242 and call it a day. 

However, the belt I had was about 2 inches too long. I took it to the 188. It fit. I guess I still had the specs for the 188 pulled up when I ordered the belt. The 188 had a nearly new belt on it. I am sure Heath carried it off to wherever he carries things off to. 

Steph picked up the few tools we had out. I staggered in to a nice hot bath. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 2 others have said thanks

#4890 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,968 Thanks
  • 29,758 posts

Posted August 10, 2017 - 01:30 AM

Regarding the issues at the DMV, your state representative is there partly to run interference on stuff like this.
Sometimes, a phone call from Cdongressman or Senator Sewanso's office can get the wheels moving.

Good luck
  • Gtractor and Craig. have said thanks