UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 11:07 AM

...All for the want of a nail...

Yesterday I woke up feeling like I had been beaten by a band of Gorillas. I decided to wait on going to mow for a bit.  I had to be at the train station at 8 to get Steph and Heath so there were no hurries. 

When I finally felt more flexible I headed off to mow. 

I got to Grady's shop and got started. I made two laps around the yard, and then mowed the culvert. I can mow straight over the end of the pipes with the deck, and then make a hard turn to keep the back wheel from slamming down in the hole. It works pretty good. 

Well, this time I went over the pipe, made my hard turn, and  came down in the ditch. Then the steering yoke was no longer turning the tire. I got off and found 

000000.jpg

The steering cable was broken. When I got Delilah I thought that would be a weak point. I was right. 

It took me about 15 minutes to Delilah out of the ditch. I had to turn the tire, get on the mower, and drive forward till the tire needed to be turned again. The way the mower is set up it will no steer if someone is not on the seat. There isn't enough weight to make contact with the ground.

I still didn't have any tools. I took the one end of the cable I could get off, and I drove down to the guy I sell my batteries to. He had two wrenches I borrowed and I headed back. 

Once I got the other side off I knew there was going to be no making a new one. I took the wrenches back, and called Graham to come help.

While I waited for him, I looked for a cable online. I found exactly 1. Exactly one for $80. Ouch. Well, cheaper than a new mower. 

Once he (and his wife)was there I backed the trailer as close as I could get it to the mower, set up the ramps, and got things lined up. Graham got on the mower and I turned the tire. 

He wasn't able to hear me telling him to slow down and drove the back tire off the ramp I use for it. There is no lifting the back of that thing, It weighs a ton. I went and sat on the deck and it picked the back end up and he drove it on the trailer the rest of the way. 

On the way home we stopped at the RO BBQ truck and got dinner. 

Back home we went to their house and ate. It was good. 

After dinner, Graham and I went to my house. We fired up Gertie and moved a swing set I got for scrap. When we got down the hill with it Gertie started to stutter, I looked at the fuel gauge and immediately shut her down. She was empty.

We got the diesel can and a funnel and put a couple of gallons in her. She started, but was no happy. I left her to run for a while. 

We charged the AC on his truck. It has a leaking high side pressure fitting. With the cap on it seemed to stop leaking. If it needs it, it is an easy fix. 

Gertie smoothed out finally, and I shut her off. 

When that was done I left for Charlotte. 

I made one stop at Harbor Freight, and one at a gas station for more Gatorade. I had drank 2 gallons and was still thirsty.

On the interstate I found this genius idea.

00000.jpg

0000.jpg

I may have to install one of my truck.

The train was late. I sent Steph a text that I was in the parking lot, and to let me know when they got there.

Then it started to rain.

000.jpg

Eventually there was hail, and strong winds, and lots of lightening. I thought there was going to be a tornado.

It let up a bit just as the train got there. I collected them and we headed off. 

Then the storm really got bad. 

Just outside the station, the police, and the Transit Authority had the road blocked.We thought it was a tree down, and detoured around it. 

We never got over 30 on the interstate. I finally pulled off at an exit. The only thing open was Hooters so we went in to wait out the storm and eat. I am sure they enjoyed the 300 pound man who had been outside in the sun for hours. 

The storm finally relented and we headed for home. 

The dogs nearly came out of their skin when Steph got out of the truck. 

I got online for a little while and found out why the storm was so bad. Two storm cells had collided and formed a super storm.

The road block in Charlotte was not for a downed tree. The road was under 4 feet of water. Two cars were trapped in it, but the occupants were all rescued. 

I woke up this morning more sore than I was yesterday. 

• Gtractor, MH81, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#4847 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 08:18 PM

I didn't break anything today!

I didn't get to sleep till 1am. I didn't wake up early. Neither did Steph or Heath. 

yard1.png

A regular customer has some scrap. He sent me a text at 10 and asked if I was coming. I told him I would be there today. He said. OK.

Steph had to run to the store for something (I can't remember what) so we waited till she got home. 

Then the misery began.

I used Gertie to get Delilah off the trailer. Then picked up the trailer and turned it around with Gertie. Made it easier to hook up. 

I texted the guy and told him to send the the address since it had been a while since I was down there, and it is a twisting convoluted series of roads.

We headed on down to Gastonia. Neither of us could find any gloves, and this time of year scrap metal gets a bit warm. So we stopped at Harbor Freight and got some. 

Still no word from the guy. We went to Chickfila to let Heath go nuts in the playground. 

An hour later I still had not heard from him. We headed home. 

I sent him a text and told him I had another job to do. 

Back home the trailer was backed in to the ditch and the Gt5000 got loaded up. Steph left in BettyBlue to go to get rabbit feed. I took TheKracken and trailer up to Grady's shop.

It didn't take me long turn foot tall grass into this.

yard.jpg

Delilah mows faster, but the GT is must less abusive. I do need to fix the seat bracket. It nearly tossed me off once.

I headed back home and tore into the LX188. Once I had the seat pan off I could not figure out what was supposed to hold the cooling fan on. I came in and searched online for diagrams and found nothing.

I went back out ( with my reading glasses on) and found a groove for a snap ring in the shaft. I assumed there was a bushing of some sort that went between the van and ring.I searched all my stuff and found nothing suitable. I wound up getting some washers. Three was a tad too tall. 2 was way to short. SO I got a piece of sand paper and thinned one out till it fit perfectly. 

Then I couldn't find my snap ring box. Since Steph had to go back to Gastonia for something, ( I don't remember what) I called her and told her to go back to Harbor Freight.

I turned my attention to the two tillers and the edger that Ben sent for me to work on. 

The first tiller is a loss. Engine is seized. I pulled the spark plug and rusty water ran out. I hosed it with some PB Blaster and will let it sit to see it if frees up. I think I am going to tell him it is toast. 

The other tiller has no rope. Not much I could do about that today. 

The edger needed a primer ball. He gave me some and I searched TheKracken for them. Then i remember I was in BB the day he gave them to me.

When Steph got home I got the bulbs and put the biggest one on there. It didn't pull anything out of the tank. I shot some Seafoam spray in the carb and it instantly fired and ran on its own. It will need a new blade though. The one it has is about 1/4 inch longer than the guard. 

At 7 I came in. I did not have a dry stitch on. I was a little dehydrated.I poured down water and got in the shower. 

Tomorrow I get to do it all again. 

• Gtractor, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4848 cttandy OFFLINE  

cttandy
  • Member No: 87613
  • 103 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 11:19 PM

This heat is crazy. I have work, just need to get to it. I am not doing any playing around the house.

• Craig. said thank you

#4849 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 09:23 AM

What are you using to edit your videos
  • Craig. and cttandy have said thanks

#4850 cttandy OFFLINE  

cttandy
  • 103 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 02:56 PM

Apowersoft Video Editor
  • Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4851 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,988 Thanks
  • 47,152 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 05:37 PM

Apowersoft Video Editor

I am downloading that right now as I need a better editor.

Just seen this is a trial version.

• Craig. and cttandy have said thanks

#4852 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 07:06 PM

Big wheels keep on turning....

This morning we had to go to Clover.

51tXXPMIRjL.jpg

So we did. I think we got nearly every mechanical part of a Honda Accord - minus the body. It is a lot of aluminum, which is good. 

Then we came back home.

The trailer was dropped and the tow dolly was hooked up. Since the Mitsubishi on the dolly was full of aluminum it had to be unloaded. 

Once the dolly was pulled out from under the little truck. I drove the Exploder that has been in the yard for many weeks up on it. 

We made our way to Shelby. Since the Exploder ran, we unhooked it on the road and I drove it across the scales. They got all excited because they needed a new yard car. LOL. 

We got our money and headed across the highway to TSC. Steph needed some cage wire, and I wanted to see if they had a belt for the LX188. They didn't. We got the wire and left. 

On the way out the door I got a call from a gal in Morganton that had a car she needed gone right now.  I told her to text me her address and we would be up directly.

We made our way over to the Shelby DMV. Steph went in and turned in a tag off of a scrap car that the gal forgot to take off and wanted me to bring it back to her an hour away. I told her I would turn it in. 

It took about 45 minutes to get that done. 

We made our way up to Morganton, and back in the sticks. We got an early model Acura TL. It was a pile. The gals mom kept saying," I don't know why she doesn't just put the $200 stater in it and drive it." I just smiled. For $200 she would have a $100 car. 

Of course the back tire was flat so we had to put the spare on it. 

Then we loaded it up, strapped it down, and headed back down the mountain. 

Sam contacted me and said he was coming over. So we stopped and got more chicken for dinner. 

Sam has a class project due for his welding class. He didn't have the tools to finish it so he came here to do it. We will see how many tools he loses.

I am tired. I have drank about 4 gallons of liquid today. As long as they don't run out, I might survive the summer. 

• Gtractor, MH81, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#4853 cttandy OFFLINE  

cttandy
  • 103 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 08:19 PM

I am downloading that right now as I need a better editor.

Just seen this is a trial version.

There are better editors out there, but it has a lot of power for the money. It also handles HD video, something other editors can't do.
  • Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4854 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 06:32 PM

I had one car to take to Shelby this morning. 

il_340x270.772026718_jf1n.jpg

I was in bed at 1am. For some reason I was awake at 6am. I tried my best to go back to sleep. I managed to doze back off at 8. For some reason an alarm on my phone went off at 845. Oh well. 

Heath came in and we watched a bunch of construction videos. I was in no hurry to get the car to the crusher. 

The animals needed baths so Steph did that. KitCat was not happy with it. She sat on my shoulder and shivered for an hour afterwards.

After the dogs were mostly dry, Gunner jumped up on the bed. Heath had vacated for a bowl of cereal. I began to play with Gunner and after a bit we were wrestling, he was growling, I was yelling, and we were rolling all over the bed. 

All of a sudden. Carmel jumped up on the bed and got between him and I and snarled like she was going to rip him in half. I guess she thought he was hurting me. She put him in his place. Then they began to play. I ran for the safety of the living room. 

At around noon we loaded up and headed to Shelby. We unloaded and I went to the pay window. The gal there looked at me like i had two heads. Then the scale operator came up and told me I forgot to weigh out. Duuuuh. So I weighed out.

After that fiasco we left.

ON the way home i got an email. Steph read it and said it was a guy who had a tool set for sale in Charlotte. I told her to tell him we would be up in a bit. 

Then a friend reminded me that I had stuff to pick up at his house. So we ran by the house and swapped the tow dolly for the trailer.

On the way up to Charlotte we noticed that south bound 85 was a parking lot for about 9 miles.

We got to the guys apartment. Steph and Heath stayed in the truck.

It turns out that the guy is a WWII buff too. I kind of forgot that I had people waiting in the parking lot. 30 minutes later I went out. OOps. At least I parked in the shade.  

Then we ran over to my friends house and got some broken lawn equipment. 

On the way home we avoided 85. When we got to Gastonia we found New Hope was backing up. We took back-roads. It took longer, but we were moving. 

We got home, dropped the trailer, and came inside. 

• MH81, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4855 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted July 22, 2017 - 06:13 PM

Holy smoke wagon.

melted-mug-3d-model-stl.jpg

This morning I got up and got running. 

Steph loaded BettyBlue up with garbage and took it to the dump. 

I grabbed a couple of things, including the battery out of Christine, and left.

First I had to go down to Tim's to to get the big trailer. When I got there his pickup was way out in the field. I asked him about it and he said his tractor ran out of gas there yesterday and he just had not walked out to get it. 

We rode over on the Gator and I drove it back to his house. Then he took me back to TheKracken and I left.

At my destination I backed the trailer up to a 2002 Volvo Cross Country. When I hooked Christine's battery up to the winch I found it was dead. 

The guy had two batteries. Neither of which had a charge. He hooked it to a battery charger and we waited a  bit then pulled a bit. 

Finally, an hour later, a combination of the winch and a come-a-long got it pulled up. 

I strapped it down and headed home. 

At the house I grabbed Gertrude and snatched the Volvo off the trailer. We took the trailer back to Tim. 

He was working on a JD GT and brought the carb out for me to see if I could tell if a hole was threaded or not. It wasn't. While he was out in the sun he saw it had rubber in the valve seat. Evidently the fuel line was breaking down and plugged it up. 

We headed off to Ben's house and got his keys. Then up to Lincolnton where his truck puked out all its water. Once I pulled off the aftermarket air filter I found a T in the heater line was broken. 

IMG_20170722_1542111.jpg

A run up to Orielly's and we had it put back together. 

I used his pressure tester to make sure that was the only leak. It was. However when I took it off I lost my grip on it and it puked all over me. 

I sent Steph down to the dollar store for an antifreeze free t shirt and some hand cleaner. 

While she was gone I put things back together. 

The store didn't have hand cleaner, so she got a gallon of water and a bar of soap. I cleaned up, put on the bright orange shirt, and put up the tools. 

We made a stop at TSC and got a bunch of Freon. I have already used the cans I bought. 

Back at Ben's house we returned his keys. He gave me some money, I stuck it in my pocket without even looking at it. 

We came home and I checked the dump trailer, the battery had charged up. I found a little bit longer extension cord and plugged in the trickle charger. My other cord was about 3 feet short of reaching.

I came in and stripped out of my sweaty bright orange shirt and clothing, and took a shower. 

I am now perched in my recliner, I refuse to get up. 

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#4856 cttandy OFFLINE  

cttandy
  • 103 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted July 23, 2017 - 08:42 PM

http://gardentractor...l-tractor-show/

#4857 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 07:20 AM

Yesterday I woke up feeling like I was trampled by the Budweiser Clydesdale's and their wagon and their Dalmatian and all the delivery and I trucks did nothing. 

Miami_Moring_Coffee.jpg

Later on in the day I was invaded by Sam, Nehemiah, and Tyler. They came over to finish up Sam's project. I have no idea what time they left. I was in bed at 930. Heath stayed out with them and Emily. He thought it was great. He isn't allowed out by himself after dark, and we are usually worn down by then. 

This morning I was up with the sunrise and out the door. I selected my weapon - which wasn't hard. The 242, Lx188,and  Delilah are all waiting on parts to come in. So it was the GT5000 to the rescue. 

The grass was wet, but it wasn't a billion degrees, so I mowed on.  I didn't do it perfect, but I did mow it. 

I discovered that the teenagers put up the tools, but left lumber laying out. I am going to strangle them. 

While I was mowing I had a thought. http://gardentractor...s-more-sampson/

I came back in and poured myself more coffee and turned on the tv. It was already getting hot when I came in. 

I have to take Emily to get a NC license and then I have stuff to work on - maybe. 

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#4858 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 09:00 PM

No one is petting me today.

dont_sweat_petty_things_or_pet_sweaty_things_mug-ra24fa5a39bde435cb842b440241c84cc_kfpvn_324.jpg

At the DMV I discovered that Emily did not make an appointment. I wasn't going to wait for a whole day to get her a license. We came home. We will be there before the doors open tomorrow morning. 

I spent a good part of the day hiding from the nuclear blast outside. 

Steph went down to register Heath for Kindergarten. 

My old friend Michelle got in touch with me this afternoon and wanted to know if I could fix her daughters, Mackenzie, brakes. I told her to come after 5. I figured it might just cool down a tiny bit. I was wrong. 

When she got here, Steph was still gone. SInce some of my tools, and most importantly my gloves, were in TheKracken. I waited. I didn't want to grab hot rotors bare handed. 

I gave Mackenzie a new baby bunny. It peed all over her LOL.

Steph got home and we went out. Unfortunately, she had locked the keys in her Jeep. I called AAA to let us in. I got to work

I had a bear of a time getting the rotors off. Finally I had to resort to the 10 pound sledge to convince them to let go.

The drivers side wasn't all that bad, the passengers side....

dont.jpg f

I wonder what song it would play on the radio.

We got the brakes on and searched around for far too long looking for an air chuck to put air in her 2 nearly flat back tires. 

When I came in I didn't have a dry stitch on. I came in and got in the shower while Steph showed Mackenzie the outside bunnies.

When I got out of the shower I got a call from Michelle. I had left my wallet on the hood of the Jeep. She was bringing it back. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#4859 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 7,489 Thanks
  • 4,588 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 09:25 PM

You need to put a leash on your wallet!

• KennyP said thank you

#4860 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 10:05 PM

You need to put a leash on your wallet!

The only reason I took it out of my pocket was to call AAA to get her doors unlocked
  • KennyP said thank you