• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 05:34 PM

Interesting job for sure, and you have likely spread good word about you among some elite clientele! 

• UncleWillie said thank you

#467 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 06:12 PM

I hope so, Daniel. He said they have 13 buildings in town with stuff stored in them that they have no room or desire to display.

#468 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 06:27 PM

Great job, Willie! Glad it went smoothly! Bet you hear from them before long!

#469 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 06:56 PM

Might have to buy a fancy hat to wear to the museum jobs

• KennyP said thank you

#470 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 07:02 PM

Might have to buy a fancy hat to wear to the museum jobs

Yeah, get one of those Muskateer hats with the big feather in it.  Dashing and historical.

• UncleWillie and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#471 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 07:34 PM

Yeah, get one of those Muskateer hats with the big feather in it.  Dashing and historical.

Not sure I can quite pull off eh big feather. Maybe if I carry a sword too

• Craig. said thank you

#472 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 07:41 PM

Not sure I can quite pull off eh big feather. Maybe if I carry a sword too

Put the sawzall in a holster on your belt!

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#473 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 08:31 PM

Don't forget the eye patch.

#474 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Since the museum is mostly for local stuff I am not sure a pirate or a musketeer will fit in. Maybe i can dress up like a confederate soldier

#475 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 08:47 PM

dress up while your hauling scrap out??

#476 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 08:53 PM

It's a funny thing about life that you never know what's a test and what isn't. Doing your best at all times just never seems to fail--- well done, Willie.

#477 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 09:11 PM

Today’s episode of this old hat brought to you by – people who don't service their vehicles.

A friend of mine, Buddy, contacted me yesterday and asked if I could fix his brakes today. I said I could so he came over at about 1230.

Little did I know how bad his truck really was.

I pulled it up on the trailer so it would be easier to to work on. I couldn't get the drivers side door to close. I asked him what the trick was and he said he was having to hold it shut while he drove. Then moved the trailer to the work area. There is so much crap on the back of the poor truck that it was lifting the rear of the BlueOx off the ground. This prompted the first lecture of the day.

He only had brakes on the passengers front. The passengers rear had a leaking wheel cylinder and the entire brake mechanism was covered in baked on gunk. I wish I had taken a picture of it. He said they had been messed up for a long time – second lecture.

When I took off the front tire the entire hub moved. I looked under the truck and the whole front end is shot. The idler arm on the steering is completely FUBAR. You guessed it – third lecture.

After the inventory was taken of what it needed it was decided to fix the brakes so if the front end fell apart he could at least stop the truck if it stayed on his wheels. With a list of parts in hand we got ready to leave for the parts store. He couldn't find his checkbook. What lecture are we up to now?

He looked through the truck and couldn't find it and then tried to call his wife. She didn't answer. While he did that I took his door latch apart. It is seized up. So it was dropped in a pan of wd-40 to soak.

We finally got in touch with his wife and she was at a friends house way far away. He forgot she was going there. I had no money to buy parts with. Then I remembered I could order them online from Auto-zone and pick them up in the store after she paid with her bank card.

After a brief wrestling match with the website I had an order for $300.74 paid for and we left to pick it up.

Back home I set to putting the truck back together. The drivers rear was simple. Passengers side required 3 cans of brake cleaner, a can of carb cleaner, and a 20 oz bottle of old gas along with a putty knife and a scrub brush to get it clean again. After an hour of scrubbing (and another lecture) it was back together and we moved on to the front.

With the fronts done we moved to bleeding the brakes. He started the truck t turn the steering wheel all the way to one side. No problems. Got the drivers side bled and he tried to start it again to turn the wheel the other way. It wouldn't start. I went around and touched the battery terminal. It fell apart in my hand. By this time it was dark and cold and windy and I told him that was it. The truck was not going to get finished tonight. We finished bleeding the brakes and put the tires back on it. He called his wife to come get him.

We did a quick took pickup then tried to move the BlueOx so we could get his truck unloaded because I have a job to do tomorrow. Ox moved about 8 feet and then it wouldn't pull anymore. Just couldn’t get enough traction. Too much weight in the bed of that pickup on the trailer – another lecture.

About that time his wife showed up so she went in to watch Heath in the tub while Steph came out to drive Christine to help unload the broken pickup.

We hooked up Christine to the pickup and used her to keep any unwanted momentum from Buddy's truck. Got it on the ground and did a quick tool pickup just to get everything in the shop and called it a night.

Buddy said he would tell his wife he lost a checkbook later. If eh showed up with 2 black eyes I will know what happened. She doesn't lecture.

Back in the house Buddy's girls were spoiling the cats and Carmel rotten and Heath was wondering why all these people were in his house at bedtime.

I made sure to tell his wife the front end needed to be fixed sooner rather than later. I know things are tight for them right now. He has a tile company and when the economy tanked it hit him hard.

Now I am sore and tired and not looking forward to tomorrow at all.

Oh and lest you think that Buddy is a complete idiot. He used to be very badly into drugs. In fact he was a drug dealer before he got his life straightened out. After years of drugs he has trouble thinking things through. He is hands down the best tile man I know though. Fortunately his business is picking up again.

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#478 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 09:48 PM

Good on you man, after lecture # 5, I woulda been cheesed off. Good that Buddy has a friend like you now to help when things have gone poorly for him.

My hat is off to you.

#479 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 04:20 AM

I'm glad Buddy has you for a friend. And to hear his business is starting to pick up again. I'm sure you'll get the truck brought around to your way of thinking, too!

#480 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 05:51 AM

Your a nice friend , we should all help each other out like you do  ,  hope he remembers it when it comes time for something he can do for you ,Al