• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,898 Thanks
  • 31,941 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 08:52 PM

I've got a winch I've been wanting to put on the Kubota RTV forever, but haven't had the time.  I got hung up once and sure wish it was mounted then.  Took all my energy to finally get it out.  I had the hitch ball in the receiver when I went down a creek bank to repair a water-gap, and the hitch hung on a tree root.  Even in 4WD it would not move due to the slick solid rock bottom in the creek bed.   The back wheels were off the ground completely.  20 minutes of rocking, pushing, and swearing finally got it off the root.   :D

• MH81, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4712 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 08:58 PM

Nothing like a tool that does the heavy lifting for you. I am hoping this one works out for us. 

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#4713 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,898 Thanks
  • 31,941 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 09:16 PM

Nothing like a tool that does the heavy lifting for you. I am hoping this one works out for us. 

You sure got that right, and as we get older it's even more important.  Work smarter, not harder!  Hope that helps you guys a lot.

• Craig. said thank you

#4714 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,949 Thanks
  • 47,132 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 05:58 AM

That's the winch I have on the front of my trailer! I like it.

• Craig. said thank you

#4715 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,979 Thanks
  • 29,758 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 06:04 AM

.  20 minutes of rocking, pushing, and swearing finally got it off the root.   :D

Sounds just like me. I am betting it was the swearing that finally did it.
  • olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#4716 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted May 28, 2017 - 02:08 PM

A couple of long days.

Friday night I had a disaster.

long6.jpg

The recline handle on my recliner broke off. Something else for me to fix. 

long.jpg

Saturday started off leisurely enough. I was supposed to go get a car a 9, but i was up late Friday night, and I slept straight through my alarm and didn't' wake up till 10. 

I called the guy and told him I would get it Sunday. 

I goofed off a bit then we headed off to Emily's eye appointment. Steph and HEath followed in Christine. I need to get a 4 seat vehicle soon. 

Once her eyes were checked we went down to Moe's to eat. It was disappointing. New management. The coke machine was broken. The staff was more interested in goofing off than serving the customers. And when we left Heath tripped over a cleannout that was 3/4 of an inch higher than the rest of the sidewalk. He got to wear a bandaid so it wasn't too terrible. 

moes.jpg

moes1.jpg

Emily and Heath came home. Steph and I went to Shelby to get the truck from Buddy (Little Sister). 

We stopped for Murphy's Oil Soap and milk

He claimed he cleaned it out. The bed is mostly full of garbage and the cab is a rolling dumpster. Oh well I can shovel it out later. 

We got it jumpstarted, put air in the two tires that were low and headed home.

The bedroom suit I bought was still on the trailer so we got it uncovered and Steph and Emily started cleaning up. I took BettyBlue down to Ben's house to put an AC unit in his shop. 

When I got there I realize that there was no way that his brother in law and I were going to lift the monster up to the platform it was to go on. I came back and got Gertrude and went back down. She lifted it much easier than I could have.

On the way back three little boys raced me up the road. They were pretty quick and though they had really accomplished something by beating a tractor moving at all of 14.5 mph LOL. 

I got back home and we took the old dresser out of the bedroom and got the new one in. 

While we were doing that I got a call from a gal whose husband I used to hire till he decided drugs were more fun that work. She had a car that didn't run and needed money for a hotel room for the night.

We carried the bed frame into the living room and then pulled the Saturn I got Friday off the tow dolly and headed out.

I got to try out the new winch set up.

long3.jpg

long4.jpg  

It worked great. 

I now Have two Saturn's in my yard.

We stopped at Walmart for a couple of things then headed home. 

It was 11:00 and I was exhausted. 

This morning the alarm went off far too early and we all stumbled to life. 

I got in BB and headed to SC to get the Honda and Steph stayed home to try to salvage the wreck we made in the house. 

The winch got to do work again. I don't know why I didn't do it earlier. 

Things were going great on the way home

long2.jpg

- till they weren't

I came through a construction zone on a narrow back road. As I crested a hill there was a traffic barrel out in the lane. I managed to miss it with the truc, but I caught it with the two dolly. The barrel shot about 30 feet into a yard. 

I thought things were still good till about 2 miles later when this happened. 

long1.jpg

I didfind out that if I took the cradle off my jack it goes right up under the tow dolly with a car still on it. With the cordless impact it took me all of about 5 minutes to change it and I was off again. Now I get to spend $80 for a new tire. 

Back home I parked and came in. 

Steph had the mattress and box springs off and was starting to take the frame apart when I got in. 

I went out and took a 4x6 that we have had forever and cut 6 6 inch pieces off of it. Carmel sleeps under the bed and with her age and her girth it is getting harder for her to get out. I put the blocks under the legs and raised it 4 inches. It isn't beautiful, but it works. 

With the bed reassembled (king sized mattresses are heavy) I had to take a break. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#4717 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 05:37 PM

10df79af5ab5a8300b23c8fc15c728f9.jpg

Last night we got the bedroom finished up.

I had to go to Walmart and exchange the Visio TV we bought. It was junk. It would not stay connected to the internet. It kept switching to the Antenna then would shut off randomly. I also had to exchange the mount we bought. It was missing most of the screws. The packages had been cut open and were still there. I got an identical mount and a Samsung TV that was $20 more. 

I got home and opened the new mount. It was missing most of its hardware as well. We ate dinner then Steph went back to Walmart. She opened the mount in the store and it had a 2 foot long plastic package divided into a dozen or more compartments fill of hardware. She brought it home. 

After some messing with it we got it all hooked up and working. 

18738577_10155500793549739_4256140245376872921_o.jpg

Then I stayed up till 2am watching Vega$ on Decades TV. 

This morning we all slept in. Heath didn't even get up till 1030. 

Once we were all upright and clothed we got outside. 

The sweet little gal who lives next door needed a new mailbox put up. It took all of 20 minutes to do that. Then we had to pose for pictures with it. LOL. 

Once that was done we got the belt back on Delilah. With Steph and Heath helping it didn't take long. 

Then Gertrude needed attention. When I pulled the drain plug on the transmission what came out was nasty and had water in it. I guess water was going down the old broken dipstick. Since I bought a new one that problem is over. (as soon as I typed that I had a terrible thought. I couldn't remember if I put the fill plug back in and it poured rain as soon as we  came in the house. I waded out and looked. It was still in.)

Once Gertrude was filled back up and a new filter installed she worked perfect again. I think the filter was plugged up.

When that was done Steph went all psycho and started to fill up the freezer with bunnies. 

I parked Gertie and went back to Delilah. Her battery was dead so I put it on a charger when we finished with it. The only way to tell if the belts are really tight enough is to start it up and engage the blades and see how much play is in them. I turned the key and it started for about seconds. I looked in the gas tank and it is bone dry. There was about 5 drops of gas left in the can. 

Steph needed some stuff from the store so we sent Emily. She took the gas can with her. She has never used a gas can before and I had to show her how to open it up. She will learn to be a country girl eventually. Maybe. 

I turned my attention to the junkers in the yard. 

First I sliced the cat off the Honda. Well unbolted, removed the radiator, cut the belly pan off and cut the bottom of the cat loose from the exhaust. 

It was starting to cloud up so we knew the day was getting short.

I went over to the astronomy section of the junk cars

18766528_10155503713964739_3251061909118241971_o.jpg

And cut the cats off of them. 

Steph was finished with the bunnies and helped me by moving the jack. My back was giving up.

I looked at the Decrepit and the cats on it are under the hood beside the engine. It will go as a whole car. I wasn't working that hard today. 

We packed up all the tools. Tossed the bucket of bunny cadavers in the bed on BettyBlue and I pulled it around front and carted it in. 

We got all the cardboard burned and the barrel is still burning in the pouring rain. Good fire. 

We came in and the aforementioned monsoon turned loose. 

I came in. Stripped out of my sweat soaked clothes and got in a hot shower. 

Sine the windows on all the junkers are down they are filling up with water. I guess the will weigh more. 

I hope everyone took a minute today to think of the sacrifice that our soldiers made in giving their lives to ensure our freedoms. Without them nothing I did today would have been possible. God bless all the soldiers who sacrificed themselves for our futures. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 3 others have said thanks

#4718 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 14,370 Thanks
  • 10,141 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 06:26 PM

Two Saturns and still can't find Uranus?
  • olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 2 others have said thanks

#4719 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 10,894 Thanks
  • 6,369 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 07:14 PM

Might need to use both
  • Craig. said thank you

#4720 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 07:58 PM

I was hoping for a mercury to put in the lineup

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#4721 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 09:18 PM

Today was Monday a day late.

il_340x270.1118232321_atyk.jpg

This morning I got Heath on the bus and came in to check my emails. While I was doing that I got a text from Steph that my wallet was in her purse. I told her to leave it in her truck since I have to have it to sell a car at the scrap yard. 

I headed out to BettyBlue, the key in the ignition, and turned the key. Nothing. Not even a click. 

I checked the battery and starter and they were good. So after I followed the hoof-beats and didn't find horses, it was time to look for zebras. i came in to use my service manual on CD rom.  My computer would not read it. After I did some looking the computer was not recognizing the drive at all. 

So I got Steph's computer and found that it would read the disc, but would not open the file because it didn't have the right program. I found a flash drive and transferred the files to it then I was able to read them. 

While I was reading through wiring diagrams I had a thought. When we moved the dresser in the bedroom I found one of the plastic nuts that holds the junction block cover on. I put it back on last night. When I went back out and pulled the cover off I found this. 

ben2.jpg

I pulled the wire off the firewall and the truck started right up.  So I fixed it and put it all back together .

I started the truck and had another problem. The climate control unit was not working and the heat was blowing. Not what I needed while driving today. After some trouble shooting I knew it had to be the control head. So I pulled it out. It was hot to the touch. Not good. Fortunately I have an armada of parts vehicles so I pulled on and stuck it on. 

Finally at 1 I was able to leave to go get my wallet. With that done I came back and got Emily to help hook the tow dolly up to the truck. 

I got the car to the crusher and then went down to Chickfila to talk to a friend who was having some problems. 

I went by TSC and exchanged an air gauge that didn't work. With that done I headed home. 

Emily had an eye appointment at 420. It was 315 when I left Shelby. I got behind a bus that I swear stopped at every single house on the 12 mile drive home. I didn't know a bus held that many people. 

On the drive I got a phone call from Ben's wife, Andrea. She said that the torrential rains we had last night had washed out under a concrete slab at the house. She said I might need Gertrude.  Ben is in the hospital with pneumonia and is not doing well at all. I told her if I had time I would swing by on the way to Emily's appointment. 

After a bit I realized I was not going to get home in time to get Emily there. I called her and told her to make an other appointment. I got home at 4:08. 

Sam was here.  He broke the handle on his push mower. We spent some time in the tall weeds and found a mower exactly like his. He started swapping the handles over and I got on Gertie and headed out. 

When I got there Ben's son, Calvin, was all wound up and bouncing all over. I finally told him to get their garden tractor and go out to the pile and start hauling in big rocks. He took a chain and got out from under our feet. 

When I got to the house I was expecting a little hole washed out. What I found was what I believe was an old cistern that a past owner of the house had build a little brick building on. The hole was 6 feet in diameter and a good 25 feet deep. The slab that had been over it was stuck in the hole. At some point her brother in law had put a chain around it. 

I got the chain on Gertie's bucket and carefully lifted it out. Then I looked down deeper and saw that a long rock bar had fallen in and was wedged under another part of the slab. 

I called Steph and told her to bring the rope and the 100 pound pull magnet I just got. She did. 

We tried to get the chain under the bar using the magnet to position it. It was a no go. So her brother ( I really have to ask his name) put a ladder down and put the chain around the slab. Then I gave him the rope to tie around the bar.

Once he was out I pulled the slab over and he pulled the bar up. Then we used the magnet to unhook the chain from itself. Then I pulled it out with Gertie. 

Calvin had 4 slabs of concrete pulled over by then so I pushed them in and then went to the back of their property. 

The land has been a farm since forever. At least 100 years or more. All the rocks from the field had been tossed in one spot. I got to digging. There was other stuff there as well. It got scooped up and carried over.

After about 8 buckets I thought to take a picture. 

ben.jpg

I spent another 3 hours there and it was starting to get dark. 

ben1.jpg

I have about 6 feet to go.  

On the way home I saw Tim at his mailbox and pulled over to talk to him. Of course Gertie decided to act like a Ford and began peeing herself. Diesel fuel. We couldn't find an immediate cause so I headed home before it ran dry. 

At the house I pulled some tins off the tractor and found a loose line on top of the tank. It was easy enough. However, I decided to pull the sediment bowl off and clean it out. It refused to go back on. After about 30 minutes of messing with it I got it on enough to make the tractor run. I am not confident that it is right though. 

Once that was done we went to the flower bed and messed with the mulch a bit. Steph said ti would be easier if it was all dumped out now that she had the fabric down. So I did.  Then we spread it around a bit. Finally the pizza she ordered arrived and we called it a day. 

I am beat. 

Edited by UncleWillie, May 30, 2017 - 10:37 PM.

#4722 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 06:38 PM

I am tired. 

This morning Emily had an eye appointment so after Heath got on the bus I had tome to drink some coffee. Since she is under 18 I have to be there. none of me wanted to get up and put him on the bus. 

c12554b2a390f25161c6caf369f93397.jpg

We got back and I changed into work clothes. I sat on the couch to put on my boots and didn't think I was going to be able to get up again. 

I got outside and checked the fuel in the tractor. It was down about 2 gallons. Calvin had filled it up when I left there yesterday. I grabbed the can and it had a couple of gallons in it so I filled it up. While I was doing that, Tim called. While I was on the phone with him I mentioned that I had a hard time getting the bowl back on the tractor. He said he would be up immediately. 

He got there and said it was tricky. So tricky indeed that he couldn't get it on. He asked where the filter was that came out of it. I told him there wasn't one. He was puzzled. He was also puzzled by the return line that came out of the filter housing and back to the tank. He had never seen one before. 

After discussing options we decided the best thing was to bypass the factory filter with an aftermarket and put a t in the line back to the return. So I left for the parts house. He left for wherever he was going. 

Back home I put the filter on. And it leaked. I had to go to a derelict GT and steal some clamps to make it stop. 

I finally got down to Ben's house at a bout 1230. 

After a couple of hours I had all the rocks moved that needed to go in it. Then I started scooping up dirt and filling in the top. When I had the hole filled it was starting to rain. So I headed home. SInce it looked like it was going to pour I didn't take time for pictures. 

I still need to move more dirt an level out beside the building where water is going to go up under it. Without the cistern there to catch the water it is going to wash out the foundation pretty quick. 

I got home and the rain stopped. Figures. I was tired anyhow. 

I got in a hot bath and eased the aches and pains a bit. 

Steph cooked duck for dinner. It was great.  

After dinner a friend called and needed a ride to work. I filled BettyBlue up on the way back.  

The next time I get out of my recliner I am going to bed. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 1 other said thanks

#4723 Z71 Sierra OFFLINE  

Z71 Sierra
  • Member No: 84173
  • 269 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 07:27 PM

I had to put some extra steel on my old dump cart.  It is a lot more stable now. I didn't want to buy a new one. These 20 cubic foot trailers aren't cheap. 

trailer 1.jpg trailer 2.jpg trailer 3.jpg trailer 4.jpg

New bushings for the axle. The steel on the neck of the trailer was wearing away next to nothing. This piece of U channel was put in where the axle bent. 

trailer 5.jpg

trailer 6.jpg trailer 7.jpg

Edited by Z71 Sierra, May 31, 2017 - 07:32 PM.

• Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#4724 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,257 Thanks
  • 8,975 posts

Posted June 01, 2017 - 08:01 PM

Another long one. 

Last night I told Emily to put Heath on the bus. I got up at 9. 

635765532036923951-1004941603_ocd_obsessive_coffee_disorder_thermos_bottle_12oz.jpg

I went out and fired up BettyBlue and started to back her around the house. Last night another water heater sprouted up in the yard. Normally when you bump them with the truck they roll away. I paced up and bumped this one and thought it had moved, so I backed up some more. And suddenly the back tires were off the ground.

I called Emily outside to help and I fired up Gertrude.e

Gertie needs a bigger butt, because when I got the back of the truck off the water heat the back of Gertie came up. 

We wound up doing a dance where I lifted the truck and Emily kicked the heater back till it was under the bucket. The heater went down the hill while Emily backed BB around to the tow dolly. 

There were tow Saturns sitting bumper to bumper. I had Em take the back one out of gear and I picked the rear of it up and backed it up about 20 feet with Gertie.

Then I pushed the front Saturn up to the dolly. That car would not come out of gear and there was no steering on it. I hooked it to the winch and gave Em the remote. Gertie couldn't quite get the car over the humps on the dolly. She hit the switch and nothing happened. I tried to trouble shoot the winch and it wouldn't work not matter what I did. 

I got back on Gertie and got mad about it. IT went up - sideways, but it went up. I had Em set the parking break and I pulled around front and picked up the front end and moved it where it needed to be.

Gertie - 1

Saturn - 0 

I took the winch off the mount and tossed it in the bed of the truck to get it replaced. 

Once it was strapped down I left. At the scrap yard I got a text from Buddy. It said, "Mower problems."

I replied, "Idiot problem, what is it doing."

He said it smoked when he tried to drive it. Not a good thing. I told him I would be there after I unloaded. 

Once I was unloaded I realized I didn't have my wallet. Fortunately the little girl at the front knows me and looked up a copy of it. 

I headed to Harbor Freight and got a new winch then went to Buddy's

I pulled dropped the tow dolly in his yard and pulled the mower over to the shade.

After checking it over I found the transmission is FUBAR. It is a Peerless. It has oil, but only makes a half turn before it locks up. 

Since the bed of the truck was full of Saturn tires we wrestled the mower up on the dolly. It looked hilarious, but it worked. I made it home with no problems. 

Steph helped and we got Gertie to pick the little Craftsman off the dolly and set it on the tractor stand. I have an identical mower that I will steal the trans out of. 

Steph moved the truck and I got Gertie over to the Saturn. It ran so we jump started it and I drove it. The car has no brakes other than the parking brake. Since the tires are bald as a monks head I had to goose it to get it over the first hump on the dolly. I instantly snatched up on the brake and the back end just slid. The tires went off the front of the dolly. So I fired Gertie up and picked the front end up. Steph pulled the truck forward till the cradle was under the tires. I sat it down. It rolled off. Dangit. 

So I got Gertie back behind it and pushed it up on the dolly. I had it bound up in the bucket so it couldn't roll off the front again. She put it in park and it was done. 

Gertie - 2

SATURN - 0

Then we unhooked the Gravley and the pulling Cub from the for sale tree and pulled them around back beside BettyBlue. 

I hopped on Delilah and backed it out of the carport. I still had the deck cover off and I engaged the blades and  - with my body parts well away from the whirling Ginsu knives - i adjusted the belts. Then I mowed everything that I could get to without having to move anything.

I finished up and came in and took a shower. 

Steph cooked roast beef for dinner. 

I am ready for bed now. 

Edited by UncleWillie, June 01, 2017 - 08:04 PM.

#4725 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

the homeless tractor hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 9,797 Thanks
  • 5,095 posts

Posted June 01, 2017 - 09:19 PM

You need to weld some stop-tabs on the front of the dolly cradles to stop the tires from going too far.

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks