• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 06:51 PM

I have 3 dogs,2 cats and 20 chickens Oh and a son in diapers-  plenty of poo around here all the time. Not as much as you deal with though.

This might make your day sound not quite as bad...........  My Evening Event

#452 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 05:29 PM

Didn't get too much accomplished today.

Woke up and my back was in knots. And I was out of coffee. Terrible state of affairs. Steph left to take Heath to the doctor and I staggered out in the yard to try to get some work done.

I managed to get the Yard Machine to start. It made a terrible clanking noise when it cranked. Since I was having to hold the brake down and the PTO lever in the off position I couldn’t really see the engine. To figure out why. However, when it started it purred like a kitten.

The aluminum guy showed up to give me some cash. Tomorrow I will deliver all the aluminum to him. It just worked out weird this time because we were both busy at the wrong times.

When Steph got home I had her make me some coffee. It was good.

Decided to give that rest till I had extra hands. And started to get the Craftsman II with the 20 HP Kholer up on the operating table to pull the engine. Had to recruit Steph to help me get it hooked up to the crane because I couldn't bend very well.

After I got it up on the gurney.

IMG_20130319_142211_704_zps579d4281.jpg

I started to tear it apart.

About that time my buddy Tim showed up and gave me money for the tractor he took home last week. It was the Husqvarna I paid $25 for. He said it cost him $40 to get it running. It had a bent push rod.

While he was here I cranked the little tractor again while he looked. He said the engine is loose. SO hopefully tightening up the bolts will fix the knock.

SO with a pocket full of cash I started working on the Craftsman again. Finally got it apart. Steph helped me wrestle the engine off the frame and I waddled over to the shop with it and dropped it by the door. I will have to make some kind of stand for it because it wont stand up on its own. I don’t like to leave them laying over.

So now after Burritos for dinner . I am relaxing on my massaging cushion till bed time.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, March 19, 2013 - 05:31 PM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#453 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,329 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 05:39 PM

I hate back problems, was down a couple weeks with mine (er visit) included. Here is my Vert engine stand box, just be careful if you fire it up on this, those engines have tons of horz torque. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1080280.JPG
  • P1080281.JPG

• Alc said thank you

#454 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 05:56 PM

Thanks Larry. For now I am just going to make up a stand out of a couple of 2x4s just to store it. I only have about 6 engines in the shop right now. Maybe one day I will have tractors for them all. I plan to modify a workbench eventually to work on engines on. It will have movable mounts that can be tightened down to the bench itself. I am sure my fabrication guy will think it is all hilarious till he build it then he will want one.

#455 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 06:01 PM

Sorry to hear of the back and coffee issues! Not good when they both happen at the same time. Hope the cushion helped some!

#456 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 06:11 PM

Kenny this shiatsu cushion is a Godsend. Without it I would be laying in the floor in agony. No matter how much it hurts to sit on it at first it always loosens things up and gets me moving again.

I have to go to the museum tomorrow and get the display case out so I had to take it easy today.

#457 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 06:31 PM

Glad it helps! May have see if I can find one of those cushions!

#458 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 06:57 PM

They ain't cheap. I think this one was close to $100. But worth every penny.

• KennyP said thank you

#459 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 08:26 PM

Bad enough to wake up with a bad back but NO Coffee!  The world comes to the end!  :rolling:   Like you the first place I head in the morning is the coffee pot.  

#460 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Bad enough to wake up with a bad back but NO Coffee!  The world comes to the end!  :rolling:   Like you the first place I head in the morning is the coffee pot.  

Well, I would say coffee is the first thing I head for, but first I head for the john, THEN to flip the switch on the coffee pot.  I hate it when I run out of coffee!

• HDWildBill said thank you

#461 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 08:55 PM

What do you plan to do with the deck on the craftsman II?

#462 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 09:44 PM

sell it

#463 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 04:18 PM

Well file today under I for interesting.

Today was museum day. So bright and early we loaded up and headed for Newton. Since I couldn't find any reliable help to hire on short notice Steph and Heath went along.

We got to the Museum and found that the curator had not blocked off any parking spaces for us. SO we had to park down at the end of the block rather than in front of the loading area. Not a terrible tragedy.

After we lugged in the dollies, engine crane, blankets, sawzall and blades we made a discovery. We forgot the extension cord. The museum didn’t have one either. Fortunately there was a plug close by.

First order of business was covering up the 1910 dirt track race car that was built by Lotus engineers and still runs. I wasn't taking a chance on damaging a beyond priceless car.

IMG_20130320_100857_222_zps91121df2.jpg

Then the cabinet got moved out wo I could work on it.

IMG_20130320_100840_835_zps55e53347.jpg

As I was setting up the curator asked me if this job would pay for itself. I told him no. He asked why I was doing it. I told him it was just to get my foot in the door so that if something else came up my number would be on his call list. He didn't say anything.

While Steph had Heath in an alcove that no one went into in his playpen I got a strap around the legs on the case and hooked the crane to it and lifted it about ¼ inch off the floor.

I had to be very careful not to drop it because the city water mains were under the floor – making contact with it. If I dropped it there would be a flood that I had to pay for.

Carefully, the legs got cut off then that side was lowered onto a dolly.

Steph came in and helped me fold up the crane and move it to the other side of the cabinet.

Then I repeated the process on that side.

With the case down on the dollies I proceeded to cut it in half. I started from the bottom. When I had it almost cut in half I took a strap and cinched it around the bottom of the cabinet to hold it together. Then I took the legs I had cut off and put them under the cabinet. Once I completed my cut and released the straps the halves set down on the legs instead of crashing into the floor.

I had given it a lot of thought over night and it worked out perfectly.

After that it was a matter of packing everything up and loading the trailer again.

Then the curator helped me uncover the car while Steph swept up all the metal shavings.

IMG_20130320_112132_338_zps913802bd.jpg

IMG_20130320_112143_142_zpsa1e0963d.jpg

IMG_20130320_112152_859_zpsf7e56050.jpg

IMG_20130320_112158_766_zps436891cd.jpg

As we loaded up the last of the stuff the curator came outside and said they had lots of other stuff they would be calling me about. This was a test to see if I could be trusted. Covering the car was what sold him.

So with that done we headed home for lunch. Then we unloaded the steel and crane and loaded up all the aluminum and that went off to the smelter.

The smelter has a car he wants me to haul off for him. Funny thing is that he will get the aluminum back out of his own car.

Now Steph is off to class and the rest of the evening is Heath and daddy time.

• olcowhand, KennyP, tractorgarden and 5 others have said thanks

#464 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 04:26 PM

Way to go William! Sometimes a loss can more than make up for itself in the long run. I would of been scared too if I was working anywhere near something like that. Better safe than sorry and it looks like its going to pay off.

#465 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 04:30 PM

Once I figured out how I was going to do it there was nothing to worry about. I went through about 20 different ways in my mind. THis one was the safest.