#4606 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 08:25 PM

I spent all day today thinking it was Friday.

I woke up this morning and it was bright outside. I looked at my phone and it had done an update during the night and said I needed to restart it. Dang it. Oh well, Heath and I got to play again. 

Waits-for-donuts-and-coffee-Wrong-day (3).jpg

I told Heath to get dressed and this is how he came back.

wr3.jpg

We got outside and Pulled the bad battery out of the pulling Cub and tossed it in the back of BettyBlue. 

BB was still hooked up the the Kia I got last night so we took a a ride to the scrap yard. I made a whopping $40 on the car. At least I didn't loose any money. It wasn't worth trying to part so it had to go. 

We came back and went to Walmart and got a tractor battery. 

Back home Heath ran around like a monkey on crack, while I took the still working battery out of the JD 242 and put in the new one. The 242's battery went in the pulling tractor. 

Then I turned my attention to the deck belt on the 242. I checked the pulley and found a piece of mulch in the V of the pulley. For a belt that is supposed to be so simple to install, I had to crawl around that tractor way too many times to get it right. 

When that was done we had to run again. 

Thinking it was Friday we took back roads to Fort Mill. It was a good thing because there was a wreck on 85. 

We got to our destination 1`5 minutes early. They were home already so I was able to get the car. 

They had a 99 Ford Taurus. It was sitting down a hill and I needed another driver. A neighbor said he would steer the Taurus. I pulled him to the top of the hill and left the car up there, then took him back down. 

I got the tow dolly and truck set where I wanted them and then walked back up the hill to the car. I let it roll back into a drive and turned it around. Then coasted down the hill to the dolly. On the dolly the front bumper snagged and it stopped short. 

I didn't have my come a along so I had to use a ratchet strap. I got the strap as tight as I could pull it and then jumped on the strap. The car popped over the stops and set down on the cradle. I got it strapped down then we left. I was soaked in sweat. 

Heath was starving so we stopped at Jack in the Box and got dinner. Good thing too. Traffic was a mad house all the way back. And that was on back roads. 

Near the house we came to a complete stop. Someone had really screwed up.

wr2.jpg

If you look carefully you can see a truck being pulled up on a rollback. They had to pull it up an embankment about 30 feet deep.

We were there long enough that I had time to get out and check the straps on the dolly and tighten them up. 

When we got moving I found the other vehicle on a different truck.

wr1.jpg

Hard to see because of the sun but it is mangled bad. 

I got home and Steph was there. We unhooked the tow dolly and headed down to Dallas.

Behind the city park is a friend of Ben's. He had a trailer I am borrowing to get the two pulling tractors to the tractor show Saturday. I said something about leaving early in the morning and Steph asked why. Then she told me today was Thursday. Oh well.  We got the trailer anyway. 

She had not eaten yet so we shot thru Arby's' Heath and I got Jamoca shakes. 

Back home we pulled in the back yard and found that one of the escapee bunnies had found the inside of a trap.

We dropped the trailer then got BB hooked back up to the dolly. 

I an nasty, worn out, and my ankle is throbbing. It is almost at the point I am considering going to a doctor, but not quite. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 4 others have said thanks

#4607 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 06:54 PM

I managed to squeeze in three days of work today. 

Since Heath was out of school today he and I slept in. When when he woke up he got dressed, ate breakfast, and went straight outside to play in the Taurus we got yesterday. I wasn't too worried because the car was in front of my bedroom window and I could hear him. 

I am not sure what time I finally dragged myself into a upright position, but when I did got dressed and went out to get him. He must have known I was coming, he got out of the car and came in the back door as I went out the front. After I checked everywhere. I didn't find him, but I did find the back window of my parts Suburban was busted out. Not sure how that happened. 

As I came back in the front yard I heard him stomping thru the house. I came back in. 

f3631fbfeaf6249e0839539ef7846881.jpg

Once I was properly caffeinated Heath and I headed off.

The Taurus went to the smasher. Once that was done we fought our way across highway 74 to TSC. 

IN the parking lot there was a rollback loading up a pickup. We had to stand and watch. When he was done we both yelled, "Horray" and then went inside. The truck driver was dying laughing. 

My bank card was not happy I went in. I snagged a back tire for the Ransome mower, an inner tube for the same, two tire spoons, 50 feet of 1/8 inch coated cable, three padlocks, 4 sets of ferules and stops, and 4 cable loop ends.

When we got outside they were loading a brand new riding mower up in the back of a truck. Of course they had the tractor on backwards with the nose facing the rear. I stopped and told the lady she would need to tie the hood down so it didn't fly up. The TSC employee looked at me like I was Satan. 

Heath and I made our way back to the house.

Ben called and asked if I had a torch tank cart. I thought I did , but I wasn't sure. 

When I went out I checked and sure enough I did. It was grown up in thorns. I was tempted to hook a chain to it and drag it out. I managed to drag it out with little injury. I called Ben and told him I would bring it down later. 

I pulled the tire off the Ransome and attempted to get it off the rim. I wasn't having any luck.

I tried to use my old setup where I clamped a threaded machine foot in the vice.

Forgive the cloudy pics I sweated on the lens. 

IMG_20170414_152146.jpg

That didn't work either. It kept coming out. 

So I grabbed the smoke wrench and opened a hole in the bench top. When I did it I failed to see a little Bic lighter laying on the table. When the table heated up there was a flash of flame. I jumped about 12 feet high. Fortunately the torch went out when the ball of flame happened. After I figured out what I had done I Finished making the hole and poured the water that had collected in a bucket on it. 

While it was cooling down I put the torch cart on the back of BettyBlue and we rode down to Ben's house. 

He liked the cart. I left it there. 

Heath and I got back home and the table was cool. I put the threaded foot through the hole and tightened it up. 

IMG_20170414_152139.jpg

The next hurdle was the size of the hole in the wheel. 

IMG_20170414_152128.jpg

However a couple of pieces of scrap steel and that problem was solved. 

IMG_20170414_150931.jpg

Steph got home and I was finishing that up.

She helped hold one of the spoons while I wrestled the tire on. 

I put the tire on the mower and then took it for a test run. I tried my best to get it to pop off the rim and I couldn't.  I think that problem is solved. 

I fired up the Ford and moved it about 10 feet before Heath yelled it had a flat tire. Sure enough the left front was flat. 

I moved it out of the way and then we pulled the tire off. 

IMG_20170414_182425.jpg

We set it on a 6x6 block for the weekend. 

I tossed the tire in the back of BB and ran down to the tire shop. Tony said it will probably be Monday since he didn't have that tube in stock, but he will try to get it tomorrow. 

Back home we got the Cubbies loaded on the trailer, and got the engines and tires loaded on BB.

IMG_20170414_182434.jpg

IMG_20170414_1940231.jpg

I decided to try out my new scales. The blue and gold engines weighed 106 pounds each. The black one weighed 132. Thank goodness for the mobile crane. 

Steph strapped the tractors down while I went in the shop to make up the cables. 

We have needed a couple of cables to lock things up for a long time. I just never got around to making them. 

Once things were locked up we cleaned up and came inside. I got straight in the shower. I was nasty. 

When I finished showering I put the plug in and filled the tub up for Heath. He was more black than anything else. He had fun though. 

Steph said she was not cooking. I wasn't going anywhere, so pizza it was. 

Tomorrow I am off to the tractor show. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170414_182436.jpg

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 3 others have said thanks

#4608 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,575 Thanks
  • 1,372 posts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 07:27 PM

See you tomorrow
  • MH81, Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#4609 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 02:01 PM

Yesterday was long. 

At 6am my alarm went off. At 615 I was off and running. At 625 I called Steph to bring me the keys to the padlocks on the stuff in my trailer. At 638 I was off again. 

when-you-ordera-strong-coffee-extra-strength-doyoueven-💯-2640964.png

ON the way up there I found out that the trailer I had borrowed would not pull over 58 MPH without changing lanes.

I got the the Spokes and Cleats show at around 8.

Before I could even stop the truck I had people were crawling on the trailer. I nearly ran over a guys foot. 

Attendance seemed to be down from the last time I went. However, I sold everything but the black and white tractor. 

The gold tractor had to be delivered to a guy who lives about 10 miles from me. 

I headed home. 

I wasn't here long before Steph got home from picking up the tire for my tractor and said that Heath wanted Chicfila.

So we headed down. Heath also got a new hat. 

IMG_20170415_1742081.jpg

IMG_20170415_1742211.jpg

It was about 8 when we got back home.

I was exhausted. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 3 others have said thanks

#4610 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,575 Thanks
  • 1,372 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 02:23 PM

This is my fourth year going to the swap meet,The crowd is about the same as always.Quite a few have
passed away and I miss the story's they had to tell.Not a lot of new people and very few young ones.
One young one in particular that has shown a real interest a couple years ago I gave him a Briggs 5s since then he has gotten a maytag,model N and a Jacobson 4 stroke engine.He had them all at the show and started them up while I was chatting with his dad.In my opinion best show around our area
  • olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#4611 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 03:09 PM

This is my fourth year going to the swap meet,The crowd is about the same as always.Quite a few have
passed away and I miss the story's they had to tell.Not a lot of new people and very few young ones.
One young one in particular that has shown a real interest a couple years ago I gave him a Briggs 5s since then he has gotten a maytag,model N and a Jacobson 4 stroke engine.He had them all at the show and started them up while I was chatting with his dad.In my opinion best show around our area

I wish I had room to take the Gravley Commercial 10. IO am sure sumeone would have take it home with them. 

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4612 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 10,927 Thanks
  • 6,384 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 06:46 PM

I can't believe how your son has grown! Amazing how fast they grow.
  • Craig. said thank you

#4613 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,900 Thanks
  • 31,942 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 06:57 PM

One day Heath will have his own "Hat" thread!

• Gtractor and Craig. have said thanks

#4614 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 1,196 Thanks
  • 945 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 07:13 PM

Heath is growing fast! Nice Hat Heath

#4615 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,979 Thanks
  • 29,758 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 09:45 PM

Glad it was a good day full of sales, hats, and smiles.
  • Craig. said thank you

#4616 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted April 17, 2017 - 07:13 PM

Things got done.

This morning Steph had a doctors appointment. Heath and I slept in. 

Since it is spring break we were in no hurried to get anything done. 

bad_attitude_like_flat_tire_coffee_mug-r

She got home and took a nap. At around 12 we all went outside.

The load of appliances had to be strapped down. It was more than a one person job - unless that one person had 17 foot long arms. 

There were a couple of new water heaters that had sprouted up in the yard. I didn't feel like lifting them. Since the tire for the Ford was in the back of Christine we had to take some time to fix that. Then the extra tanks were loaded in BettyBlue. 

The trailer had a flat tire so I lifted up on the back of the trailer as much as I could with the Ford then we put slime in the tire and aired it up. 

We left for the scrap yard. We got all the way to the stop sign before I realized I didn't have my wallet. Since I have to have ID at the scrap yard we had to turn around. 

As we pulled back into the driveway I heard air gushing out of the tire. A plug in the tread had pulled out when I made a u turn. SO we pulled around back and put a new plug in it and aired it up again.

We made it all the way to the scrap yard. 

Fortunately they unloaded the trailer with the grappler. Made my back feel better. 

ON the way home we stopped at Dollar General and got some bandages for my hand.

Then we went next door to Chicken Hill. It is a small gas station that used to have good chicken livers. It had changed owners so I wanted to see if it was still any good. They also had egg rolls so I had to get some of those too. Then we headed for home. 

Within 3 miles of the house the tire on the trailer went flat again. It came off the rim, but stayed with the trailer. I slowed down and kept going. It made it all the way to the house. 

It got pulled straight down the hill and parked. I am not fooling with it any more today. 

We got on the Ford and went back down the hill to find 4 15 inch tires. I have a Nissan Pathfinder that I only bought for the tires. A neighbor wants the truck, I already told him he couldn't have the tires. I will get them swapped over tomorrow. 

After we messed around in the yard a bit more I came in. Steph and Heath stayed out doing something. 

Steph's friend, Anna, came over for dinner. Roast beef, potatoes, and rolls. It was good. 

I am debating going to bed early. 

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#4617 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 05:42 PM

At 9pm last night I had nothing to do today. HA.

Buddy contacted me and asked if I could take him to court one last time. So at 700 I was in BettyBlue headed for Shelby. 

busy.jpg

When I got to his house my contacts were going bonkers. Everything had a halo around it. SO I got him to court, took his daughter Miriam, (she is a dog trainer and is working with a dog for about 2 hours a day) to work, and then headed home to change eyeballs.

I was driving Buddy's truck and it is so quiet that the dogs didn't know I was here till I walked in the door. Then they spazzed for 20 minutes.

Once I had fresh eyes, and I had harassed Steph, I headed back to Shelby.

I had to wait a bit for him to get out of court. A guy contacted me about the Volvo and said he would come get it this afternoon.  I dozed off just about the time Buddy called me. I drove around front to get him.

He is all done with court. His license is restored. All is well in his world, well except for his wife being furious with him. 

We went over and got Miriam then headed to the license office to get his license redone. Then he bought us lunch. 

We got back to his house and I took a look at his tractor. It needed a jump start, but started right up. I gave it a bit of seafoam in the gas tank just in case. 

When we jump started the tractor I noticed the hood hinge on his truck was loose. So I tightened that and then headed off. 

I got home and Steph came out. I dumped the 4 tires in the bucket of the tractor into the bed of BB,  and then we moved the Nissan Pathfinder from its resting place and pulled it around to the work area. 

The plywood I have been using under the jack stands fell apart. I found a good piece of plywood and cut some new ones.  Then we got the Pathfinder up in the air. Then we gave my new Porter Cable 1/2 inch cordless impact a workout. The 4 tires came off, were labeled, and put in the bed of BB. 

Then we went over to the Cub and tried to start it. It would start and then only run for a few seconds and die. I was a bit perplexed.

I was still waiting on the guy who wanted the Volvo so Steph and Heath went to the tire shop to get the tires swapped around. 

The 4 tires from the field went back on the Pathfinder wheels, the Pathfinder tires went on BB, and the 4 super skinny tires off BB went to the tire guy to sell to someone else. 

I came in and sat down for a bit. 

After a bit of rest I went back out and looked at the Cub. When I parked it there was about an inch of gas in the tank. Today there was almost a full tank. Heath had filled it up with water. Dangit. 

I took the line off the carb and drained it and called Steph to snag a small  gas can and some fresh gas. 

She got home and we poured some in. Then I shot some seafoam spray in the carb. It ran on seafoam, but wasn't picking up fuel. When I took the fuel line off again nothing came out. The filter is stopped up. 

Then we started putting the tires back on the Pathfinder. It is supposed to rain and the jackstands, although they are on plywood, are sitting in dirt that will become a swamp. I didn't it to have a chance to fall. 

I got one tire on and the guy showed up. 

I pulled the tractor around and jump started the Volvo. He bought it. 

He drove it around front and put it on their tow dolly nose first. Then they could not get the drivesahft out. I didn't feel like crawling under it. They decided to turn it around. So I jumpstarted it again. He turned it around. Then the tailpipe hit the dolly. 

We went around back and found some boards and used them to get the car up on the dolly. 

They left. I finally had a chance to look at the tires. They look a lot better than the bicycle tires that were on it. 

IMG_20170418_1723001.jpg

IMG_20170418_1723051.jpg

IMG_20170418_1723101.jpg

Steph had to model them. LOL

Tomorrow I have some stuff to do. Hopefully I can get the Cub to fire up and run. 

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#4618 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 05:27 PM

Well, I wasn't going to do anything today.

I woke up to the sounds of pouring rain. I went back to sleep.

Heath came in a little while later and woke Steph and I up. I checked my facebook stuff and found a guy who had a 2000 Cadillac Deville with a blown headgasket he wanted to sell. I sent him my number. 

He called instantly. I told him we would be there in 45 minutes. 

coffeebreak.jpg

We got dressed and headed out. 

They guy bought the car yesterday, drove it 30 miles, and the head gaskets popped. Being a Northstar V8 I wasn't surprised. 

I just got to the Caddy when I got a call from a guy wanting parts off the Nissan Maxima. I told him it would be at least an hour before we got home. He said it would take him 2 hours to get here. 

Once we had him hooked up we had to swing by the library to drop off some of Steph's overdue books, then we headed to a gas station. 

IMG_20170419_1259221.jpg

BettyBlue got filled up and then we headed for the house. 

Then we got to play outside in the rain. First the Pathfinder had to go back where it belonged, The tractor (which I have named Gertrude)  did all the heavy lifting. 

Then the Caddy got uloaded and a quick video was shot. 

caddy.png

Then the Caddy got put away. Finally we took Gertie down the hill and hooked on to the Maxima. Once it was up in the work area we came inside to dry out a bit. 

About a hour later the guy arrived. I only have $125 in the car. When he called he said he would pay me $125 for the trunk lid and tail lights. I couldn't refuse that. He pulled the parts and then headed off.

I came in to sit for the rest of the day. NOT.

About 30 minutes later my friend, Ben, called. His transmission went out. He had open heart surgery a couple of weeks ago and needed help. He had 3 other people with him. 

I got a tow arranged and went up to get them. I was going to shuttle them back and forth in BB till I had them all home. When I got there another friend of his was on the way to get the 3 passengers. Ben and I waited on the tow then I carried him home.

After the obligatory yak fest I came back home. 

I told Steph I was done for the day, around here , who really knows. 

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#4619 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,979 Thanks
  • 29,758 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 08:23 PM

How much is a head gasket job on that engine? She looks to be in great shape.
  • Craig. said thank you

#4620 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 09:23 PM

How much is a head gasket job on that engine? She looks to be in great shape.

More than I care to spend on it
  • MH81, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks