• Craig. said thank you

#4577 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,950 Thanks
  • 5,667 posts

Posted March 27, 2017 - 06:59 AM

Back when dad and I were running the car lot he came up with a shackled-up second generation Z28 Crapmaro.  BRIGHT yeller with black skunk stripes over the top and crappy cheap chrome reverse wheels sticking way out wide on the back. 

We liked to never figured this one out!

It had an anti-theft device that if you were sitting in the drivers seat the starter wouldn't engage.  Kicked our butts for quite some time until I reached in and hit the key without actually being inside the car.  Started right up then.  :wallbanging:

It had the "high output" 350 which in the mid '70's was and earth shattering 165 horse! :rolling:   Less horsepower than a 250 cu/in 6 cylinder from before emissions choked-em down.  The engine ran great but sounded like a diesel because of wrist-pin slap.  It had apparently had too many RPM, too many times.  

I'd slap the dealer tag on it and terrorize the town on Friday nights. 

It wasn't fast but it was oodles of fun! 

You were way ahead of your time, you were driving "Bumblebee" years before the Transformer movies every came out!

• Gtractor, Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#4578 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 896 posts

Posted March 27, 2017 - 01:38 PM

Yep 13. I watch too many of these.

You can never watch to many of the Gemini, Mercury, Apollo missions lol

#4579 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted March 27, 2017 - 07:15 PM

Long day. 

Yesterday we finished up Heaths bedroom. He got a new loft bed, a tv and a dvd player. He laid in his bed and watched Speed Racer all evening. 

This morning I got Heath on the bus and then sat down to wait for the dew to burn off. 

scrap.jpg

I found a sticker I thought would be appropriate on the tractor.

scrap2.jpg

It is a 4wd after all. 

Then I set about doing work. 

I went through the load of scrap that Tim brought a while back and sorted it all out. Then I cut the lock off the old freezer he brought. It had been locked for 20 some odd years. When I opened it it had a little smell, but not bad. There was stuff in it in bags that had all liquified. I dumped it out and got it up on the trailer. Then I hauled all the stuff with electric motors and aluminum up to my work table and got it all torn down and sorted out.

All the steel went back down to the trailer. 

I needed to add some more stuff to the trailer, but it was all holding hands in the pile so I needed something to pull it out with. I went up and found the two J hooks that we had straightened out and attacked them with the smoke wrench. 

With those straightened out I went back down to pull stuff out of the pile. 

I snagged some old box spring frames, appliances,  and some bicycles. It worked pretty good. 

Once that was done I put the inner-tube in the Gravley. 

You know how they are supposed to have a two piece rim that makes it real easy to work on. Well some genius welded this one together. 

I took me quite a while to get the tube in. 

Then I came in to take a break.

I wasn't really aware of the time. I heard the bus coming and looked at the time. It was 2:50. I yelled for Emily to get him and she didn't respond. I couldn't get myself out of the chair. 

The bus went on up the road. I finally got up and go tin BettyBlue, complete with a trailer full of trash, and chased the bus down. It was a substitute driver and she didn't recognize my truck. I had to chase her for about 2 miles before she stopped and let me get him. I think some of the kids on the bus finally told her who I was. 

I came back home and started loading up more trash in the truck. 

I called Graham to go to the dump with me.

We headed off. Heath decided to stay here and watch Speed Racer. 

We got to the recycling center and they told me I had too much stuff. For some reason (Probably money) they don't allow larger loads anymore. I have to take it to the landfill and they were closed.

When we left there I got a text from Emily. I gave Graham the phone and he started laughing. Heath let the dogs out. They ran straight down the hill and rolled in the rotted freezer gun that had ripened up a lot in the sun. Then they ran back in the house.  They stunk. 

I told her to put them on their chains. 

I got home and went to work on the nastyness. I filled up a 35 gallon trash can with putrid gunk. Then I took the tractor and scooped up all the leaves and dirt where it had been and put it in the burn pile. 

Then I took a rest.

scrap1.jpg

Steph got home and I told her to wash the dogs outside because they stunk. I came back up the hill and Gunner was no longer on his chain. She had taken him inside. I came in and the house smelled like death again. I was not pleased. I expressed my displeasure to her and told her to wash Carmel outside. Emily got the febreeze out again. 

Carmel refused to stand still for her bath in the cold water. I went up and stood on her chain and she stood there and took it. It washed most of the crud off my boots too. 

Then I got the big cottonwood stump with the tractor and carried it down to the fire. It immediately went up like it was soaked in gasoline.

Steph and Heath came down to watch the fire. 

After a while they got in the tractor bucket and I took them up the hill. Before I parked it I raised it up all the way. Heath thought it was great.

When I came in I got straight in the shower. 

Steph cooked chicken and potatoes for dinner. 

Right now she is getting ready to cart another load of Heaths old toys out to go to the thrift store. I have issued an ultimate on the limit of toys he can receive for holidays from now on. We don't have enough room for him to get 4,000 gifts for every holiday and birthday. So far we have taken three 55 gallon totes off.  He almost has room to move in his bedroom. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 4 others have said thanks

#4580 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted March 27, 2017 - 07:44 PM

You can never watch to many of the Gemini, Mercury, Apollo missions lol

It is a good movie. 

• Craig. said thank you

#4581 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted March 28, 2017 - 05:53 PM

Today wasn't quite as productive as it could have been. 

This morning I got Heath on the bus then sat down to wait for Sam to get here.

ls.jpg

It rained last night so it was a swamp outside. 

Tim called to brag on the BFG All Terrains he got from me, and said he was bringing a swing-set by for Heath . I told him to wait till Sam got here and we would have some help. So he did.

Sam showed up at around 10:30 (early for him). I called Tim and told him to come on. 

Sam and I went down and tried to pull the trailer up the hill with the tractor. It didn't happen. Oddly enough the burn pile was still smoldering and it spouted some flame after a while. 

Tim got here and we unloaded the trailer. I told him we needed help getting the trailer up the hill. He didn't have the key for his trailer coupler so we managed to pull the hitch out the the receiver.

I pulled the tractor down behind the trailer and we got Tim hooked up to the pintle. Before I could get the tractor started again he took off. He almost made it. I was surprised how far he got. I pushed him the rest of teh way up. 

In the process we pulled the low tire off the trailer. well halfway off anyhow. Just the outside of the tire came off the rim. 

We managed to get the hitch back in his coupler again and Tim left. 

We took the tractor down and got the stinky trash can. Sam nearly yarfed.

Sam and I got in BettyBlue and left for the dump.

A few miles from the house we came across an old guy who had gotten his JD GT stuck in a ditch. He was trying to push it out with a 2x4. Sam and I picked the back of the tractor up and set it back up on firmer ground. 

We got ready to leave and found out that we were sunk in the morass.  With some judicial usage of the go pedal we were able to get out. 

On the way to the dump a car was tailgating me. I slowed down. They got a good whiff of the nasty rotted meat and backed way off. 

I have not been to the Gaston county landfill in a long time. They now have what the call a GRAB card. It is basically a card you pay for ahead of time and give it to the guy at the landfill. We had to go buy a card. Well, 3 of them, the guy said it would be $12 to dump. 

So we drove down to to get one. 

We dumped the garbage and headed to see the local arm of OldCowhand's employer.

I needed some big ratchet straps. All mine were AWOL. 

Back at the house we got started putting the tire back on the rim. A job made harder by the coat of mud on it. 

When I got it back on we aired it up. I sprayed it with the hose to try to figure out where the air was leaking. The screw on valve stem was loose. A little turn of the wrench and it was all better. 

Heath got home while we were working and got on the swing-set. He would not get off. 

We got the truck hooked up and backed it out of the lagoon and headed off the scrap yard. 

Unfortunately the grappler was not working so we had to unload it all by hand. 

We headed back home again. 

A guy called about some scrap metal and while I was talking to him a car in the oncoming lane threw up a small pebble. It hit me right on the end of my nose then bounced off and hit the door pillar and went out the window again. It didn't feel all that good.  The guy on the phone thought it was hilarious.

As we got back close to the house I noticed that the neighbor who lost their parrot out the window yesterday was outside. I asked if he had come home. He had not. He said he had a refrigerator for me. I told him I would bring the tractor to get it.

We got the trailer unhitched then Sam sat in the tractor bucket and rode up with me. The fridge fit perfectly in the bucket so it was easy enough to bring back. Sam stood on the point on the way back.

With the fridge dumped on the trailer I parked and crawled off.

Steph was home and came out to see what we were doing.

Tomorrow I have to put upper ball joints in Grady's Exploder. Should be fun.  

Edited by UncleWillie, March 28, 2017 - 05:56 PM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#4582 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,925 Thanks
  • 4,993 posts

Posted March 28, 2017 - 07:01 PM

The uppers on an Exploder shouldn't be too bad. They coma as a complete control arm. If the bolts don't have the round eccentric washers on them, might as well get an alignment kit for it so it can be aligned.

• Craig. said thank you

#4583 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted March 28, 2017 - 07:26 PM

He can worry about getting it lined up later. These ball joints are held in with a snap ring. Shouldn't be too bad (famous last words)

• Craig. said thank you

#4584 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted March 29, 2017 - 07:25 PM

I need a week off. 

This morning I had emily put Heath on the bus. I was still awake at 6am, but I didn't have to stand up. 

I did watch this hilarious video made by the Navy guys back in the 60s.

Around 730 I got up and creaked and popped into life. 

monster-mug.jpg

I had been doing some research on how to get Sharpie off of a flatscreen TV. Heath decided to autograph the one I put in his room. It turns out that toothpaste will take it off. It has to be the regular old toothpaste, no microbeads and no gel. 

The tv pics didn't come out, but here it is on the new bed he just got.

dang.jpg

crap1.jpg

Then I got dressed and went outside. 

I found that the yard had sprouted another broken water heater and pressure tank. I think Ernie has left about 25 of them now. I really need to load them up and haul them out. 

I had to harvest a part off of the Exploder I got for scrap so I did that. It is really easy to get a brake caliper off one it turns out. 

Then I did some cleaning up of the work area and moved the water heater to the trailer with the front end loader. 

I raked up the area I had scraped with the loader and found some more nuts and bolts in there. 

Then I pulled the Gravley out of the carport. I is going to take some time to get use to steering it. I nearly tossed my fat butt off in the front yard. 

Grady still had not arrived yet and I was out of things to to till he got here so I came back inside and made a ham sandwich with blue cheese dressing. 

Next thing I knew the phone rang. Grady had sneaked out. 

After a bit of work I had the caliper replaced and soon learned I needed a bearing press tool to the the ball joints out. 

We took a drive to Autozone. I didn't have my glasses and I couldn't read the machine to use my card. It kept saying it wouldn't take it. Then I realized I was using the wrong card. Well, I was using the wrong PIN. I really have to remember my reading glasses. 

The rental was a whopping $122. Dang. Glad I am getting it back. 

Back at home I got the old ball joint out(which had absolutely no grease left in it and was actually rusted, but ran into a problem putting the new one in. The press was designed to work with the A arm out of the truck. Some redneck ingenuity and a large socket and I got it work. It would have been easier if I had 4 hands or least longer toes on one foot, but I got it done. 

The other side went easier.  Then I changed his oil, and bled the brakes. 

Heat got home at some point and said he was going inside. HE came back out shortly afterward wearing two mismatch shoes and a pair of green underwear. Oh well. 

Emily had to go to work at 5. I asked Heath if he wanted to ride with me or stay with Grady. He got in Grady's truck.  

Steph was home when I got back. I went back to work on Grady's truck. Steph changed clothes and came out to see if she could help.

I attempted to fix his passengers side window motor, but it didn't make any sense. It will go down but not up. A new switch didn't fix it. It will go up and down if you supply power from an outside source to the motor. Using a meter I know that it was getting power to both sides of the motor. I finally threw up my hands and put the door panel back on with the switch unplugged. 

Graham came over with a huge electrical motor in his truck. His work gave it to him. He needed some money for gas so he wanted to take it apart and sell it tomorrow. We couldn't get it apart. I gave him $20 for it and picked it up with the loader and tossed it in the scrap pile. The thing has to weigh 150 pounds. 

While we did that Steph found a wounded bunny that was not going to make it. He slaughtered it and gave it to the cat.

Graham and Grady both left. I walked to the mailbox. While I was there the district attorney, who lives down the road,  rode up on a bicycle. We talked a bit. He kept looking down the hill and finally said,"There is my wife." Sure enough a lady came panting and puffing up the hill.  I had not met her before. She seems nice. Steph walked over to see who I was talking to. She had not met either of them yet. Of course she walked up with blood on her clothes. LOL.

The left and I hobbled inside. 

I wanted to listen to some Don Williams so I reached for the TV to turn on YouTube. As soon as I touched the button the house went dead. 

I sent the neighbors a text to see if theirs we out (yes I paid the bill) and then looked out back. Steph and Heath were at the building with the air compressor in it. I din't think much of that and started to walk back to the breaker panel. Then I had a thought.

The air compressor is wired to a panel just outside the back door. It has a breaker that we just flip to turn it off an on. I asked Steph is she flipped the wrong breaker when she turned it off. She didn't turn it off. Heath did. Only instead of just shutting off the compressor, he flipped the main for the house.

Little fart. He was trying to help I guess. 

I got in the shower and scraped off all the grease and dirt. 

Steph made me a portabella and swiss burger for dinner. It was great. 

Tomorrow I get to chaperone a field trip for Heath. Should be fun. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#4585 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,966 Thanks
  • 9,998 posts

Posted March 29, 2017 - 08:34 PM

Don't forget to reset your alarm clock or you'll both miss the field trip!
  • Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4586 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted March 29, 2017 - 09:49 PM

Don't forget to reset your alarm clock or you'll both miss the field trip!

Just did
  • Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4587 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,950 Thanks
  • 5,667 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 07:33 AM

Sharpie markers are alcohol based ink, just use some rubbing alcohol if it happens again. Our work benches at work all have glass on top of them, we write on them all the time then just wipe off with alcohol.

• Craig., KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4588 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 800 Thanks
  • 271 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 09:11 AM

Many moons ago, when our girls were small, I got a call at work from my very frustrated wife. "Your little angel just took a permanent marker and drew on the wall in the dining room!" Knowing markers are alcohol based, I told her "try alcohol". She says.... "I don't think I could drink that much....."
  • olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 4 others have said thanks

#4589 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 12:29 PM

Many moons ago, when our girls were small, I got a call at work from my very frustrated wife. "Your little angel just took a permanent marker and drew on the wall in the dining room!" Knowing markers are alcohol based, I told her "try alcohol". She says.... "I don't think I could drink that much....."

It didn't make the marer come off, but it made it look better.

Sharpie markers are alcohol based ink, just use some rubbing alcohol if it happens again. Our work benches at work all have glass on top of them, we write on them all the time then just wipe off with alcohol.

I tried alcohol. A lot of it came of, but not all. You could see it when the TV was on. It would not take it off the wood much at all. 

• Craig., KennyP and TAHOE have said thanks

#4590 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 07:52 PM

Fun day.

This morning I  put Heath on his bus so he could go eat breakfast with his little buddies and ride with them to the Museum. As I got off the bus some fool in a jeep, who was behind the bus, starts yelling,"Is that legal?"

I asked, "What?"
"Is that legal?",he yelled sounding like he wanted to fight.
"Is what legal?"
"You getting on the bus."
"To put my child in a car-seat?"
"Yeah, is that legal."
"Go call the courthouse and find out."
Then he sped off for 50 yards and had to wait for the neighbor to do the same thing. Idiot.

228a579010b934ccd8c3ccb520bf9fa6.jpg

I came in and got myself ready and then eventually headed off for the museum for the field trip. 

I would have been early, except that a guy on the main road was having his driveway paved and they were playing musical dump trucks when I got there. Took a good while to get untangled from that. 

I got into Dallas and they had the road fouled up doing utility work. I took back roads. 

Almost in Gastonia a Hyundai started to tailgate me. I slowed down. Good thing too. An ambulance came up the oncoming lane and I had to stop. The Hyundai nearly hit me. 

I finally got to the museum and Heath's class was already on their tour. I joined them for the mayhem. It was like trying to herd squirrels. 

clAass.jpg

There were several schools there so kids were all over. 

One room had a pirate ship in it that the kids could play in. The adults were standing back watching the whole mess and we kept hearing increasing noise from inside the pirate ship and decreasing numbers of kids outside. One of the shorter moms leaned down and started laughing looking in a port hole. About 6 kids were stacked on top of each other on a pole that was made for them to slide down. Evidently taking turns has not been in the lesson plan yet. 

While we ate lunch I noticed that Heaths lunch box has been chewed on by the dogs. When we headed home I went to the store and got him a new one. 

A gal down the road from me contacted me and asked if I had the tag number of the Jeep that I had a conflict with this morning. The bus driver wants his tag because he has nearly run her off the road passing her in turns. I didn't have it but I made a call to the non emergency County police number and asked for a car to be sent out tomorrow morning. She said she would look into it. 

We got back home and I got to sit down for a bit. 

A police sergeant called me and said they would have a car out here tomorrow. 

Emily came in and informed me she had to be at work in 15 minutes. Steph had not gotten home yet. We had a talk about that on the way to work. 

Steph brought Christine and left it for Emily to drive home and then we left. 

We ran up to Newton to get a small load of scrap metal. Or at least I thought it was small. It turns out it wasn't a big load, but it was heavy. Lots of small pieces of 1/4 inch steel. The guy made custom tables. The pieces are too small for him to use, but perfect for my stuff. 

Then we headed over to Heath's favorite restraint, Chickfila, to eat.

On the way home I nearly had a wreck. It was lightly raining and a car in front of us stopped. I stood on the binders and the extra weight in the back coupled with skinny tires didn't work so well. If I can get the dash cam video edited I will put it up. 

It poured rain off and on the rest of the way home. 

Close to the house I was headed down a back road and taking it easy. One deer ran past. I took my foot off the gas.  Many more deer ran past. I am glad I was going slow. 

Tomorrow morning I will be outside in BettyBlue waiting for the guy in the Jeep. I will try to get his tag number and a video of his bad behavior. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks