29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 10,252 Thanks
  • 3,321 posts

Posted March 22, 2017 - 06:09 PM

Sounds like you had a fun day - you will have to get Tim to write you up an operator / owners manual for it.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4562 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,885 Thanks
  • 31,934 posts

Posted March 22, 2017 - 08:14 PM

Hmmm, odd with the range selector.  Most all older tractors had a safety start cutoff switch that wouldn't allow cranking unless it WAS in neutral???????  But some replacement switches will fit that work exactly opposite,  as I found out working on a Bush Hog JB1.  

#4563 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,622 Thanks
  • 2,816 posts

Posted March 22, 2017 - 08:39 PM

Sounds an looks like that tractor is working good for you an I'm sure heath loved driving it
  • Craig. said thank you

#4564 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted March 23, 2017 - 10:02 AM

Hmmm, odd with the range selector.  Most all older tractors had a safety start cutoff switch that wouldn't allow cranking unless it WAS in neutral???????  But some replacement switches will fit that work exactly opposite,  as I found out working on a Bush Hog JB1.  

I know it seems completely bassakwards, but I suppose it is one more anti theft device. Honestly if you were not taught how to start this thing you would never figure it out.  Tim may only have a 6th grade education, but he is a mechanical genius. 

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#4565 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted March 23, 2017 - 04:54 PM

I am shaved, showered, and in my right mind. 

Well I showered anyhow. 

Last night I was in bed at 7:30. I woke up this morning at 6. My body refused to get out of bed. I told Steph to have Emily put Heath on the bus. 

When I finally convinced my achy limbs to obey it was around 730. 

h4.png

Some Aleve went down with the first cup of coffee. 

I took my time and goofed off online for a while to let the soreness subside then I went out.

First I checked all the fluids on the tractor then I tried to start it. She refused. Flat refused. She cranked, but wouldn't start. Just like a Ford. 

I called Tim and had him on speaker phone. He didn't know why it didn't start and said he would be up in a minute. He hung up. I hit the starter on more time. It instantly fired up. I called Tim back and told him that the tractor missed him. LOL.

After a couple of hours I had the road down the hill done. 

h2.jpg

There wasn't much sense in going much farther. 

I still had several tons of rock left in my driveway so I started carrying them across the road and putting them in the crater in Graham's yard. 

Many years ago there was a huge bolder sticking up in his yard. His dad tried to move it with a bull dozer and couldn't. He dug a huge hole and pushed it in. In the intervening years it made a huge sink hole. I wish I had got a picture of it before I started. It was easily 10 feet deep.

I was almost finished when a neighbor came by to talk. Heath's bus was almost due to arrive so I sat and talked. 

Heath got there and the neighbor left. Heath rode with me for a couple of bucketfuls. After that he was off to do something else. 

I finished up with the rock pile and then packed the hole down one final time and repaired Graham's yard as best I could.

h3.jpg

Then I came home to repair my destroyed driveway. IT looked like an air force bombing range. It wouldn't have been so bad except for the fact that my driveway is almost 3 feet of gravel. It is very easy to dig through with a truck tire, let alone a tractor trying to scoop up big rocks. 

Just as I finished that Steph got home. She went straight in side. Almost as soon as she did Emily left for work. 

There were some very large rocks in the driveway that I couldn't get packed down and needed Steph to come roll them into the bucket. So I called her on the phone. When I hung up I turned my head just in time to see Heath run across the street to Graham's house. 

For the first time today I got off the tractor. I administrated some education to the seat of learning and hopefully he won't be doing that again. 

We got the boulders picked up and dumped in the trees. I came in and got straight in the shower. 

Attached Thumbnails

• h1.jpg

Edited by UncleWillie, March 23, 2017 - 05:05 PM.

• Gtractor, Alc, Craig. and 4 others have said thanks

#4566 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted March 24, 2017 - 06:51 PM

Oops, I did it again.

Last night I had to take a muscle relaxer. Emily put Heath on the bus this morning. 

When I finally got upright I had about a half day of work to do outside. 

oops.jpg

So I went out to the tractor, and just like a Furd, it would not start. It would turn over one time then the starter disengaged. I called Tim to ask if he had a starter I could toss on it till I got this one rebuilt. He didn't. So I pulled mine off and went to Shelby.

I stopped on the way and got gas for BB and diesel for the Ford.

I got there at 12 and he said it would be done today, but if I didn't get it when he called it would be Monday till I could get it. Since I couldn't do much without the tractor I decided to wait in Shelby.  

I went to Harbor Freight. While I was there I sent Buddy a text to ask if he was working today or if he was at home. He was working, but he was about to get lunch. I told him I would meet him at Arby's. I paid for my stuff and went out to the BettyBlue. I had locked my keys in AGAIN.

I sent Buddy a text and called AAA. 

Buddy got lunch and brought it to me. We sat in the back of my truck and ate. 

AAA unlocked the truck and I headed out. 

This guy was leaving the parking lot ahead of me. oops2.jpg

oops3.jpg

The van was loaded to the roof with bags of cement. 

The shop called and said that the starter was ready so I picked it up. 

Tim called and said he was leaving a mower at my house and said it needed an innertube. Since I was going to TSC he asked if I would get him some oil dry. 

As I was checking out at TSC I jokingly told the guy that my wife was going to be getting a bunch of texts from the bank and wondering what I had been up to all day. 

I walked out to the truck and unloaded the shopping cart and the phone rang. Steph asked if I was still at TSC. She wanted me to get rabbit feed. So I did. The guy laughed. 

I headed back to Crouse.

I stopped at the house to get a set of reading glasses in a metal case that Tim had asked about. Steph and Heath wanted to come with me so they did.

As soon as we pulled in the drive Heath said he was going to go play with Bryson (Tims grandson).  Bryson was at Tim's shop when we got there. Immediately the two boys ran off.

I left with a bicycle for Heath, a new cutting bar for the Fords bucket, and some misc junk he wanted to get rid of. 

Back home I put the starter on the tractor and it fired right up. I wonder what will happen tomorrow when I try to start it. 

We moved a couple of cars out of the way and then I looked under the carport and found this.

oops1.jpg

oops5.jpg

We loaded up trash on the trailer and called it a day. 

Steph made rabbit chili for dinner. It is pretty good. 

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#4567 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,843 Thanks
  • 47,077 posts

Posted March 24, 2017 - 08:51 PM

Now that's interesting!

• Craig. and backwoods have said thanks

#4568 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

the homeless tractor hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 9,786 Thanks
  • 5,091 posts

Posted March 24, 2017 - 09:06 PM

Honestly if you were not taught how to start this thing you would never figure it out. 

Back when dad and I were running the car lot he came up with a shackled-up second generation Z28 Crapmaro.  BRIGHT yeller with black skunk stripes over the top and crappy cheap chrome reverse wheels sticking way out wide on the back. 

We liked to never figured this one out!

It had an anti-theft device that if you were sitting in the drivers seat the starter wouldn't engage.  Kicked our butts for quite some time until I reached in and hit the key without actually being inside the car.  Started right up then.  :wallbanging:

It had the "high output" 350 which in the mid '70's was and earth shattering 165 horse! :rolling:   Less horsepower than a 250 cu/in 6 cylinder from before emissions choked-em down.  The engine ran great but sounded like a diesel because of wrist-pin slap.  It had apparently had too many RPM, too many times.  

I'd slap the dealer tag on it and terrorize the town on Friday nights. 

It wasn't fast but it was oodles of fun! 

#4569 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,622 Thanks
  • 2,816 posts

Posted March 24, 2017 - 09:11 PM

A new cup holder for heath or a mower for you to fix for someone?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

#4570 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted March 24, 2017 - 10:04 PM

A new cup holder for heath or a mower for you to fix for someone?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

It's a runner. It may replace the Commercial 10. I traded Tim for something, but I don't remember what.

Edited by UncleWillie, March 24, 2017 - 10:05 PM.

#4571 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted March 25, 2017 - 06:21 PM

Well I had to take a break today.

Last night I was sore. So sore it took me forever to get to sleep. 

I woke up and laid there trying to stretch until I was finally able to get upright.

do_nothing_stamp_coffee_mug-r20cd79e981e

Steph left to spend the day with her best freind. It was her birthdy and Steph took her to dinner and a movie. 

Heath went outside to run around. As I watched him I was wondering what pair of pants he had on. The legs were yellow and the seat was green. When he came in I saw that it was. He had on a pair of Steph's socks pulled up to his hips and green underwear. Kid is a trip. 

Steph got home and wanted me to scan the computer on Anna's car so I did. It has a bad swirl sensor. I had never heard of such a thing. I had to research it. I reset the computer and it stayed off. There seem to be many thing that can make it throw that code. 

We were wondering how long we have had momma rabbit so I dug through and found it post. http://gardentractor...ndpost&p=556615

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#4572 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 7,449 Thanks
  • 4,570 posts

Posted March 25, 2017 - 08:13 PM

Any time I get a (swirl sensor --> Good one!) code, or any thing that is close to the fuel system I tighten the gas cap and reset the computer.

• Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#4573 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted March 26, 2017 - 10:55 AM

Any time I get a (swirl sensor --> Good one!) code, or any thing that is close to the fuel system I tighten the gas cap and reset the computer.

It is a real thing. I had never heard of it before. 

https://www.autocode...130_nissan.html

• Alc and Craig. have said thanks

#4574 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 7,449 Thanks
  • 4,570 posts

Posted March 26, 2017 - 12:22 PM

For some reason this had me thinking of the oxygen tank stir on Apollo 11. That didn't turn out too well.

• Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#4575 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 1,187 Thanks
  • 936 posts

Posted March 26, 2017 - 08:44 PM

For some reason this had me thinking of the oxygen tank stir on Apollo 11. That didn't turn out too well.

LOL you mean Apollo 13. I was thinking the same thing

Edited by Craig., March 26, 2017 - 08:45 PM.