UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 08:58 PM

The technological revolution has begun.

Last night at 9pm the power went out. So we all went to bed early.

This morning Steph told me that Emily's alarm had not gone off. 

So I got going.

iStock_3_19_14_coffee_investing_money.jp

I got back from that and settled in to a long day of listening to the wind blow. It was blowing stuff all over the yard.  

My phone would not charge, and the tablet that I use for bills of sale is shutting off at will. 

I did several loads of laundry and cleaned the bathroom and bedroom. I figured that was enough for one day. 

At 2 I jumped in the shower for a quick hose off. 

At 240 the UPS truck showed up with the computers from my dad. (Don't ask what kind, other than an Acer I really don't know. It has been refurbished and works).

I opened the box and plugged them in to charge and the bus showed up. 

I got Heath in the truck and followed the bus till it turned off. Then I went to get Emily. 

Then we headed up to Hickory.

I stopped at Northern Tool and returned the drum pump that didn't work and the air chuck that only lasted for one tire. 

After we found Verizon I decided to look for a new phone. 

Emily's mother keeps threatening to turn her phone off every time she misses a call. What the woman refuses to understand is that Sprint has no signal here, and if she sends messages at 3am no one is going to be awake.

After talking to a guy and checking out all the phones I decided on a Google phone. It is water resistant. I also bought a Lifeproof case. Heath has one on his tablet and has so far not managed to destroy it. I figured it might work for me.

We came home and I finally got to look at my new laptop. It is pretty nice.

Tomorrow I have to pick up two cars and fix a third. That should make up for my sitting for a few hours today. 

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4442 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,855 Thanks
  • 5,950 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 09:21 PM

That new Google phone looks pretty good. It wasn't out yet when I got my s7 edge or I may of ended up with it.
  • Craig. said thank you

#4443 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 10:08 PM

Some days are just more fun than others. 

This morning I was up and had coffee made before the bus came. Emily got up on time and got herself off to school. 

I came back in to enjoy

knives_have_a_knife_day_mug-r910b5ebbc54

And try to contact some people. 

One guy had told me to call him this morning. I did. I also texted and sent him a message on Facebook. No answer. I waited. He never contacted me.

I drove down to Shelby to look at a friend's daughter's car. They tried to jump start it yesterday and couldn't. I hooked up my big set of cables and noticed I had a loose connection under the hood. I fixed that in about 2 minutes and then, without even starting my truck, turned the key on her PT Snoozer. It started immediately. I drove it a bit to charge it up and then came home. All they needed was better cables. 

I watched Chuck Norris beat up on North Korea in between returning and answering other phone calls. 

At noon I went down to Tim's house and go this laptop hooked up and connected to his printer. He was happy. We talked till 215. I headed home. 

I sent the guy a message on Facebook and told him I could come tomorrow afternoon. He got mad. I told him it wasn't my fault he couldn't answer me. 

Heath's bus came home. We ate Cheeseits and watched Chuck Norris some more. 

Emily got home. Followed by Stephanie a short time later. Emily took Steph's truck to work. 

Heath and I kept watching Chuck. 

At 6 Steph, Heath, and I left for North Charlotte. 

Nothing happened on the way up there. 

We did stop at Harbor Freight and Steph ran in and got some reflective tape. When she brought it out I used my new Buck knife to cut two pieces of it in half where it changes from white to red. The wind was blowing a good bit and I couldn't control everything so I stuck the knife in my vest pocket. I put the tape on the fenders of the dolly and we headed out. 

When we got to the woman's house to get the Buick I reached in my pocket to get my gloves. I sliced my ring finger open. I have no idea why I put the knife in my pocket with the blade open. Oh, well, it wasn't a major cut. The gal gave me a band aid.

We loaded up and left. 

There was an IHOP close by. We pulled in to stuff our faces. 

I took a call about a car while I was there. When I got off the phone the waitress came up and asked if I worked on cars. She couldn't get her heater to work. I told her I would look at it after I ate. 

When I went out there were no blown fuses, but the control panel would not come on. I told her that without a manual there wasn't much more I could do. 

Nothing exciting happened on the way home. 

Tomorrow we have a car to get in Gaffney. Hopefully it is as good a day as today was. 

EDIT: 

On Tuesday I got a new GPS. 

Here are the numbers so far.

16640744_10155131606579739_1398356872028

16681922_10155131606559739_4877706840626

It was up to 794 when we got home tonight.

Edited by UncleWillie, February 10, 2017 - 10:12 PM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#4444 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,973 Thanks
  • 4,408 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 10:54 PM

I remember being able to eat Cheeseits. Makes my numbers skyrocket any more.

• UncleWillie said thank you

#4445 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 800 Thanks
  • 271 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 11:42 PM

I remember being able to eat Cheeseits. Makes my numbers skyrocket any more.

Cheeseits sound like the kind of snack food that makes EVERYBODY'S numbers skyrocket. You apparently are paying attention to your numbers....

Edited by camdigger, February 10, 2017 - 11:43 PM.

• larrybl and UncleWillie have said thanks

#4446 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 2,046 Thanks
  • 2,173 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 12:05 AM

Some days are just more fun than others. 

This morning I was up and had coffee made before the bus came. Emily got up on time and got herself off to school. 

I came back in to enjoy
knives_have_a_knife_day_mug-r910b5ebbc54
And try to contact some people. 

One guy had told me to call him this morning. I did. I also texted and sent him a message on Facebook. No answer. I waited. He never contacted me.

I drove down to Shelby to look at a friend's daughter's car. They tried to jump start it yesterday and couldn't. I hooked up my big set of cables and noticed I had a loose connection under the hood. I fixed that in about 2 minutes and then, without even starting my truck, turned the key on her PT Snoozer. It started immediately. I drove it a bit to charge it up and then came home. All they needed was better cables. 

I watched Chuck Norris beat up on North Korea in between returning and answering other phone calls. 

At noon I went down to Tim's house and go this laptop hooked up and connected to his printer. He was happy. We talked till 215. I headed home. 

I sent the guy a message on Facebook and told him I could come tomorrow afternoon. He got mad. I told him it wasn't my fault he couldn't answer me. 

Heath's bus came home. We ate Cheeseits and watched Chuck Norris some more. 

Emily got home. Followed by Stephanie a short time later. Emily took Steph's truck to work. 

Heath and I kept watching Chuck. 

At 6 Steph, Heath, and I left for North Charlotte. 

We did stop at Harbor Freight and Steph ran in and got some reflective tape. When she brought it out I used my new Buck knife to cut two pieces of it in half where it changes from white to red. The wind was blowing a good bit and I couldn't control everything so I stuck the knife in my vest pocket. I put the tape on the fenders of the dolly and we headed out. 

When we got to the woman's house to get the Buick I reached in my pocket to get my gloves. I sliced my ring finger open. I have no idea why I put the knife in my pocket with the blade open. Oh, well, it wasn't a major cut. The gal gave me a band aid.

We loaded up and left. 

There was an IHOP close by. We pulled in to stuff our faces. 

I took a call about a car while I was there. When I got off the phone the waitress came up and asked if I worked on cars. She couldn't get her heater to work. I told her I would look at it after I ate. 

When I went out there were no blown fuses, but the control panel would not come on. I told her that without a manual there wasn't much more I could do. 

Tomorrow we have a car to get in Gaffney. Hopefully it is as good a day as today was. 

EDIT: 

On Tuesday I got a new GPS. 

Here are the numbers so far.
16640744_10155131606579739_1398356872028
16681922_10155131606559739_4877706840626

It was up to 794 when we got home tonight.

What model GPS are you using, may have to break down and buy one fewer places to turn around now that I bought a 16' trailer.
  • UncleWillie said thank you

#4447 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,973 Thanks
  • 4,408 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 12:59 AM

Cheeseits sound like the kind of snack food that makes EVERYBODY'S numbers skyrocket. You apparently are paying attention to your numbers....

Yea, Type 2 here. Have to keep track every other day.

• UncleWillie and SearsYellow have said thanks

#4448 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 10:49 AM

What model GPS are you using, may have to break down and buy one fewer places to turn around now that I bought a 16' trailer.

Garmin Nuvi 40 LM. I was using my phone, but I kept getting calls at bad times.
  • adamjd200 said thank you

#4449 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,968 Thanks
  • 29,758 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 04:05 PM

I don't think I've ever seen those words typed before by you...

• KennyP, UncleWillie, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#4450 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 09:08 PM

Beautiful weather today.

bd05d68f711579d6b1c499d6a3d6f502.jpg

I was supposed to pick up a Pontiac Grand Prix today. They never contacted me. So I sat here in my Batman PJs till about 12. At which time i got a call that was not meant for me, but for the scrap yard down the road. After talking to her a bit I wound up telling her I could buy her Volvo 960 wagon.

So we got dressed. and headed to Lincolnton. 

The little car is in descent shape. It supposedly only needs a radiator. If that is true I will let Emily drive it. 

Then we went to shop at Lowe's. We got some lumber and a new stove vent fan. 

When we checked out I happened to think that we never go my Porter Cable sawzall  back after we sent it in for repair. I told Steph to go ask about it and I would load stuff in the truck. 

I saw these geniuses trying to load carpet in a truck. 

16684141_10155134872209739_1358409226516

It turns out they never sent it in for repair. They gave me a gift card for a new one. 

We went over to Bojangles and ate. While I was there I had a guy ask me if I was Walker, Texas Ranger.  We had a good laugh. 

After going back to Lowe's to get a saw we headed over to TSC for animal feed. 

We got back home and Tyler was here for me to work on his Toyota pickup. 

The dealership quoted him $500 to replace the steering rack bushings. They said it had to come completely out of the truck. It didn't. In about an hour and a half I had it done. 

Emily, Sam, and Tyler had gone off to eat so we finished up his truck and I text drove it. It has no play left in the steering.

I brought his gun inside with me and tore it apart to fix it. It came with a plastic trigger guard and we cleaned it with some cleaner that ate the plastic.  I bought him an aluminum one. It is a lot higher quality. 

With that done I settled in to do nothing. 

About 20 minutes in to that the neighbor came over. He is  in his 70s. He couldn't figure out how to get stuff loaded on his phone. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 1 other said thanks

#4451 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 09:35 PM

I still have issues at times learning my newest cell phone, but I usually figure things out given time and patience.  I sure hope that car makes your daughter a dependable daily driver!

#4452 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 09:40 PM

I still have issues at times learning my newest cell phone, but I usually figure things out given time and patience.  I sure hope that car makes your daughter a dependable daily driver!

Tommy is not in good health and had a 9 year old trying to help him figure it out. Things got pretty messed up. He knew when to quit and bring it to me. 

• olcowhand, Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#4453 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 07:22 PM

Last night Heath wanted to sleep in the Volvo. He didn't get to.

Today was almost perfect. 

I got to sleep in this morning. It was nice. 

bad_attitude_like_flat_tire_coffee_mug-r

We had to go get a load of scrap at noon so we saddled up and left. BettyBlue was dragging the little trailer. 

As we drive I told Steph we needed to get a spare tire for the trailer. 

We got to the house and got the first pile of scrap loaded with no problems. Heath was running around like a lunatic with their children. Then they told me to drive down to the next pile. I did . BettyBlue sunk like a stone. The guy didn't tell me that it was a nothing but mud under the dry leaves. 

After we got loaded up the guy pulled us out with his truck. Then we went on our way. 

We stopped at Hardee's for lunch. 

On the way home I thought something had fallen off the trailer. Steph looked out the window and said we had a flat. About that time the trailer tire self destructed and took the trailer fender with it. 

We were close to a friends house so we sent there and dropped the trailer off. Then we went to TSC and got one tire on a rim and one rimless tire. We grabbed a jack too. I needed one for the truck anyhow. 

We got back and got the tire on. Then Heath had to go in the house to play with the dog and eat gummies. 

After we finally got home, we had to unload the pickup quickly so I could leave. Sam called and said he van wouldn't start. 

I made the drive to Boiling Springs. I opened his hood and twisted on the terminal. the dome light came on. So the terminals got cleaned and tightened and I headed off. 

I went to Harbor Freight and got a new ram for the mobile crane. 

At home I got Emily to help me put it on. Steph was gone to the store. 

Heath wanted to come outside and managed to fall off the back steps. He didn't get hurt. I think it bruised his ego more than anything. 

We had to lock the Volvo because Heath kept turning on the lights and leaving them. I don't want him to kill a good battery. 

After a hot shower I am finally parked in my chair. Hopefully for the rest of the evening. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor and MH81 have said thanks

#4454 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 06:28 PM

Another one down., 

This morning things got started early. 

I got Heath on the bus, cleaned the bedroom and bathroom, and then

51DqcyOYtHL._SY300_.jpg

Tim called and said he was ready to go so I went out. 

I checked th JollyGreenGiantfor stuff that didn't need to be in it, and then drove to his house in 2nd gear. Once it was up on the trailer we crawled in his big Ford and headed off. His dog Precious had to come too. 

In a short time we were at the transmission shop. We unloaded the JGG and talked to Greg a bit. He said they are still trying to find the problem with the Blazers transmission. They said it has to be a wiring problem in it somewhere. 

Tim wanted some chicken livers so we headed over to the Chicken Box. We were greeted by an empty building! I called the number i found online and they had moved to the other side of town. SO we headed over. 

After gorging on chicken livers, collard greens, and pintos and rice we were ready to waddle out to the truck. I was talking to the owner and the fact that we raise meat rabbits come up. He wants us to sell him a couple. He said he loves rabbit.  Tim was feeling shaky so I drove. 

We went over to a hydraulic shop and dropped off the cylinders off of his front end loader to be rebuilt. Normally he does it himself. These have something weird with them that meant they had to have specialized attention. 

While he was talking to the guy at the shop I got a call ab out a Chevy Malibu that was a DUI wreck.  I told him I could come up tomorrow and get it. Tim walked out while I was talking to him and when I hung up he asked why we didn't go get it today while we had his trailer. I called the guy back. He said he would meet us there. 

I drove over. 

Precious wanted to go pee, but Tim forgot her leash. The Malibu's bumper was held on by a thin ratchet strap. I cut it off and made her a leash. Time walked her around. 

The guy called me back and said he had a truck he wanted me to look at in Lincolnton. He said the keys were in the Malibu. 

So we loaded the Malibu up and headed to Lincolnton. It was pretty trusting of him to let us do that.

After all the money was swapped and the paperwork was done, we looked at the truck. It was a 94 GMC that had been beat to death. I made him an offer and he accepted. 

SO we headed to my house and unloaded the Malibu.

Back at the guys house we loaded up the GMC. 

He said that since we were trustworthy and showed up when we said we would he had a opportunity for us. He does lots of remodeling. Lots of commercial buildings. It is costing him money to toss scrap metal studs and other things into the roll off dumpsters and have them hauled. He wants us to leave a trailer on his sites and he will fill them up and call us when they need to be emptied. He said the last guy hauled one load and then got mad because he asked the guy to bring him a coke. He gave the guy $1,500 in metal. He never saw the guy again. 

We got the GMC home and Tim made me an offer on the GMC and the KIA Sportage. I told him I had to think on it. 

I just got his GPS updated and tomorrow I will take it back to him. I will give him my answer then. 

Edited by UncleWillie, February 13, 2017 - 06:29 PM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 2 others have said thanks

#4455 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

G-agressive tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 9,311 Thanks
  • 4,948 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 08:35 PM

Post 4450,

I think calling an Explorer Sport Trac a "truck" is a false accusation. :(   I wonder if they made it home without losing the carpet.

Many years ago I was over an hour from home in my Toyota Camry. [ hey it was only $300 and an excellent running one owner car]

I went to a Lowes and found a "remnant" of linoleum that was large enough for our kitchen.  I kept a drip-rail mounted roof rack in the trunk and the 7/16" wrench to install it plus several straps.  Bought the rack at auction for $1.   

Decided I wanted the flooring and asked the Lowes guy if he thought that'd fit in a Toyota. 

He asked what kind of Toyota?

I said Camry

He said "OH heck no that won't fit"

I said I'll pull it around and see - I think I can make it work.  :smilewink:

He asked how far I had to go and I said just over an hour if I can maintain 65 MPH.

He really flipped out until I started bolting the rack on the top. 

I also hauled a queen size mattress and foundation on that rack but only half as far.  The bedding caught a LOT of wind and made me nervous but it worked OK.  50 MPH was tops on that load.

Edited by Gtractor, February 13, 2017 - 08:37 PM.

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks