#4381 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 07:52 PM

I didn't know they still did lice checks. My daughter never mentions it. I remember being in elementary school and them making us line up then sit in front of the nurse awhile she checked our hair.

I swear they did it once a month.

I remember it maybe twice in school. 

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#4382 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 9,450 Thanks
  • 4,749 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 09:48 PM

I have a friend who is a barber. She has to close down her shop sometimes twice a week and clean everything top to bottom because of head lice. She says it's often the last ones you would suspect who would have them, and they get right offended when she tells them quietly and politely that they have a problem.... flat out deny that they have them. Seems in winter the little beasts are everywhere, and they spread like wildfire in schools. Cleanliness is not the issue, it's proximity to others who have them.
  • olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4383 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 10:23 PM

Cleanliness is not the issue, it's proximity to others who have them.

It only takes one nasty person to mess things up for everyone else. And my brothers ex wife's sister is nasty. 

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4384 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,968 Thanks
  • 29,758 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 10:28 PM

Lice love clean hair. Best kept secret it seems.

Our older rug rats had them twice back when they were in elementary school. Like a swarm of locusts thru the school back to back years. I swear one year half the kids were out until cleared

BTW, mayonnaise or olive oil. Nasty, but better for ya and just as deadly for them.
After the treatment, the comb again.

May have to treat them three times, three days apart to get the rotation on any that slip by. We never had to do more than once, but we were lucky.

Never tried any homeopathic on the linens. Just the soap and sprays.

Don't forget the stuffed animals, pillows, carseat, hats, anything a head had been against.

Don't know why the stigmata on the little squirts. You get them, you treat them, you move on. No shame there.

And now my head sympathy itches.
  • Craig., KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4385 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,973 Thanks
  • 4,408 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 10:30 PM

May not want to do this, but a fool proof method to get rid of them is to shave off all hair. Up there, down there, and under there.

I have also heard of using a petroleum based product. but I went with the bald method way back when I had that issue.  

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#4386 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted January 15, 2017 - 07:47 PM

Well, at least no people died. 

Coffee-Skull-300x300.jpg

Friday night I got a call from a close friend. His 18 year old daughter had run away. He was in shock and a wreck. I told him I would do what I could do to find out what was going on with her. I have known her since the day she was born so I had some ideas. 

Saturday morning bright and early I got up, borrowed Graham's car (so she wouldn't recognize it), and I got to investigating. 

Steph was in full blown vermin eradication mode. She was scrubbing and spraying and washing and carting indoor animals out doors when I left. At 1030 Emily had an interview with Subway. When they left she set off bug bombs.

It didn't take me long to locate the girlShe was right where her parents thought she might go.  I spent the rest of Saturday following her to see what they did. Other than shopping not much. I followed that Cadillac all day. 

They went to a shopping center and when I followed them in I drove past BettyBlue. I called Steph and told her to bring me something to eat. Before she could get it to me the Cadillac left. I had to follow. They went to Walmart. I called Steph and told her to bring my food. 

After I had a couple of bites to eat I made a decision to use my family as camouflage. The Walmart was close enough to my house that it was not odd that we would be there shopping. We all went in and I got a buggy and tossed some stuff in it. Then we "accidentally" ran into them. She tried to hide behind her friend. She seemed to be ok and I didn't let on that I knew what was going on.

We went back outside. Steph, Emily and Heath left. I continued surveillance. When they got close to the house she was staying at I broke off and beat them home. I parked Graham's car up the road and walked back and sat on the front porch. 

When they got home they just sat in the road staring at me. I didn't move. They pulled in the driveway and sat, I didn't move. The sat for almost 15 minutes. For all anyone knew I could have been an incredibly handsome sculpture. 

The dad got out and came up and told me to leave. I told him not till I talked to her. He refused. I didn't move. He said he would call the cops. I said go ahead. I stood up and he saw how big I was and decided it might be wise to let me talk to her. So I did. 

She is 18. No one can force her to go back home. Once I got her friends parents to shut up and stop trying to tell me what she was going to say I heard in her own words why she left home. It is nothing but teen aged rebellion, but tit could have been far worse. The family she is staying with has a collective IQ of 58, but they are not horrible people, just backwards. 

After informing the dad what would happen to him if something happened to her I left to go see my friend. 

He was nearly inconsolable that his daughter didn't want to come home. Although, and I did not tell him this, his over strictness was the reason she left.  She wanted to be independent, he didn't want her to. There are other factors in play, but in this situation no one is right and no one is wrong. 

It took me several hours to calm him down. His wife was afraid he was going to do something stupid and make thing far worse. I finally forced him to talk to me. He calmed down somewhat. I can understand his hurt and anger. I can also understand her leaving. 

While I was trying to calm him down Steph sent me a text saying that she was taking Graham to the ER because his heart rate was all over the place. His wife doesn't drive at night. By the time I headed back towards Crouse they were headed home. Doc sent him home with something, I am not sure what. I was tired. 

I got home and looked at my phone. It was 9:11. Kind of fitting - 911. 

I came in, had some hamburger helper, a half a beer and two shots of Makers Mark. I started to feel a bit better after the emotional roller coaster of the day. 

I was in bed at 11:30. Took me that long to unwind. 

This morning I got up and could not make coffee!!! We forgot to cover up the Bunn when we fumigated. It had to be cleaned. 

I got my magnifying lamp out and checked Heath's head. There was lots of dead things, but nothing moving. He needed a haircut anyhow so the clippers came out and his head got done. He hates haircuts. Imaging trying to give a haircut to a hirsute, rabid octopus. It is not easy. 

Once that was done I had Steph cut mine, it was past due as well. Looked like an alpaca had been sheared in the living room. 

So after I was as ready as I could be, Emily and I left for Hickory. I stopped for gas and sent her in for.

shaving_coffee_mug-r35cfd7b9f96a4d7da7c6

We went up and got a Saturn. It took some doing to get it. They pulled it out of the yard with their Ford Explorer. The truck needed to be backed up about 8 inches to get the strap hooked up. I told Emily to hop in and move it back. She had no idea how to get it out of gear. It was pretty funny. She has only ever driven a 5 speed. 

Once we had the car loaded up we headed home. 

Steph had been busy cleaning and vacuuming. 

We dropped the Saturn off and then Steph, Heath, and I headed to Charlotte. Emily had to do online training for Subway. She had to complete the training quizzes to be hired. 

We got to the guys house, loaded up a Buick Century then left. Only to immediately have to stop. The car had managed to push the tow dolly sideways meaning the back of the truck was trying to go left. When I loaded it I got it too far to the left and it snagged on the fender. 

It had to be unloaded and reloaded. Then we headed home. 

It was starting to drizzle when we got home. I attempted to turn around in the field. It had evidently sprinkled for longer than I thought. When I was halfway through my turn around the hay wagon the truck went sideways. I managed to straighten it up but lost valuable momentum. I did not clear the top of the hill. 

Steph to get the Cavalier and push. I actually went backwards. So Christine was brought around and hooked to the front of Betty. Emily got in the Cavi and we tried again. I moved about 8 inches and stopped again. So the JollyGreenGiant was swapped for Christine and we tried one more time. This time the weight of the Suburban got it done. Not bad for a truck with two gears. 

I finally staggered in and sat down.

I had a can of Pringle's so Heath got in my lap and we ate them. Although each one had to be carefully examined under the magnifying lamp first.

It has been a long, strange, emotional, stressful weekend, but at least no one died. Yet.

• Gtractor, MH81, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#4387 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted January 15, 2017 - 07:58 PM

Wow, quite the weekend you've all had!  But yes, I guess it could have been worse, and you ended up with coffee! 

• Craig. said thank you

#4388 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 9,450 Thanks
  • 4,749 posts

Posted January 15, 2017 - 09:45 PM

You are a good man Willie, my touque is off to you! It is hard not to take sides in that kind of family trouble and remain level headed.
  • Craig. said thank you

#4389 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,968 Thanks
  • 29,758 posts

Posted January 15, 2017 - 09:51 PM

Good that everyone is safe, if not home.
And the bugs are on their way out.
  • Craig. said thank you

#4390 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 07:05 PM

Today I did nothing, but take Emily to work and go pick her up. My body needed a break.

1664925174444267983WLg2C7Rc.jpg

Yesterday however...

We did sleep in a bit, but then I had things to do. 

Steph took Emily to her new job at Subway. When she got back we went to get me going.

After some false starts and bad attempts we managed to get BettyBlue and the Buick I snagged for scrap out of the muddy yard. Christine and the Cavi were not enough to get it. We had to get the JollyGreenGiant to provide some weight to the situation. 

Sam came over while we were trying to get the truck out of the yard. He pushed with the Cavi while Steph pulled with the JGG.

Once we were out of the mire, Sam and I left for the scrap yard. 

Since I left my drivers license at the school Friday when I went to get Heath Sam had to use his for us to scrap the car. 

Then we ran over to Buddy's house. His truck was leaking water. I thought it was the bottom hose at first, but after I got it off there was no holes in it. So the water pump came off. It was leaking. I put it on there in 2003. I know because that is what the warranty information at AutoZone came up as. 

So after 13 years of work it got replaced for a grand total of $20. The cost of antifreeze and a new tube of Permatex.

Steph met us at AZ so I could give her some money for the laundromat. Then Sam and I went to Bojangle's. Steph pulled in behind us. 

I got back to Buddy's and he was gone to get Pam from work. It only took me about 30 minutes to have everything back together, but he took the keys out of the truck for some stupid reason. Fortunately he lef the back door open. Sam and I went in to wait. 

While we waited I was playing with their little Chihuahua. In the midst of it he got too excited and bit me on the nose. He immediately ran and hid. I wasn't mad, just a bit surprised. NO major damage, just two tiny holes.

They got back and we went out and started Little Sister up. No leaks. I did have to adjust the fan shroud so it didn't hit the fan. 

Sam and I came back and Steph had dinner ready. We ate and Sam had to run. 

At 9 I was in bed. I was exhausted.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 3 others have said thanks

#4391 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted January 18, 2017 - 05:00 PM

NOt a bad day.

This morning I got up and stuffed myself into the shower, then got Heath dressed and we left for his school. He had to have a head check before he could return to class. He passed. I came home.

(Full disclosure - I searched Google for "easy coffee" and got this. I guess I have used the term before)

SOOOO

easycoffee-620x620.jpg

Before I left I had marked exactly where the truck had been sitting so I could hook it back to the tow dolly with minimal effort. IT worked.

I came back and had a little time before Emily had to be at work. I got to relax.

I got Emily to work at 1030 and then headed down to the scrap yard with the Saturn. Once I got there I elected to leave the wheels on it. I didn't feel like taking them off. I did get a bit more money for a complete car.

On teh way home I had a hankering for a hotdog so I stopped at Heafner's and got two. The little gal was all excited to see me. I had not been in since my back surgery. 

I got home and ate. Then I rested a bit. 

At 2 I had to go get Emily. She was working at the Subway in Walmart by the house so it was all of a 5 minute drive. 

I picked up a few things while I was there. 

We got home and I went out to get the S10 ready for the scrap yard. I got the mirrors off for Graham and a couple of other parts.

Heath came home while I was working on that and Emily got him off the bus. He cam around back to help me. 

The S10 had a flat tire so he helped me air it up. Once he understood how that worked he put air in several other tires that were low. I had to keep a careful eye on him so he didn't air up things that were full. 

I made a video of the Cavi in case someone wants an engine. 

After I let him run amok for a while I came in. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 4 others have said thanks

#4392 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted January 20, 2017 - 05:28 PM

Yesterday not  much happened. I shuttled people around town and we cleaned up the yard a bit.

Today I got Heath on the bus and came back in and fell asleep again. I didn't get much sleep last night because old man Arthur was beating on me. 

Emily woke me up at 10 because she had to go to work. I thought she was off today. 

I got back home and found that I had recieved a call from Heaths teacher. His lunch did not come with him. They gave him a school lunch. 

Finally 

President_Trump_Seal_Coffee_Mug.jpg

I watched a movie and waited for Emily to get off work. It was raining so there wasn't much I could do. 

At 2 I went to pick her up and grabbed a couple things I needed from Walmart while I was there. 

I got home and called Graham to come over when he was ready to work on his truck. He was over shortly. 

I talked him through changing the mirror on his passengers door while I put in a new AC control. Then he did the drivers door. He found a couple more parts he wanted off the junker and snagged them. 

My head mechanic said the junker needed air in the tire.

door2.jpg

I fixed the door lock on his passengers door. IT wouldn't lock. Turns out it was just a little plastic piece that was broken. They were broken on the junker too. SO I improvised with a zip tie. 

door.jpg

IT worked perfect. 

Once his truck was done we put the junker up on the tow dolly and strapped it down. 

Heath decided that the front porch needed to be fixed where some nails were sticking out. I got him a hammer and he went to work. It wound up with him pointing out the nails and me hammering them in. He enjoyed it though. He just isn't big enough to drive a nail yet. 

Finally we were all done. I am worn out. Seems I am not 100% after the surgery. It doesn't take much to completely wear me out 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#4393 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

G-agressive tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 9,311 Thanks
  • 4,948 posts

Posted January 20, 2017 - 05:39 PM

You have a much nicer school district than mine.  They'd let a kid go hungry.  Even make them sit at a special "shame" table and everyone knows what being at that table means. 

Edited by Gtractor, January 20, 2017 - 05:40 PM.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4394 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted January 20, 2017 - 06:01 PM

You have a much nicer school district than mine.  They'd let a kid go hungry.  Even make them sit at a special "shame" table and everyone knows what being at that table means. 

They already crossed me once. They don't want 300 pounds of upset showing up again. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#4395 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted January 22, 2017 - 06:12 PM

Yesterday should have been such a nice day.

8810060f2e25f918f481eb46e7a71792.jpg

We slept in a bit then Steph, Heath, and I headed off to the scrap yard. Emily wanted to sleep. 

We got the S10 unloaded and then headed up to Concord to get a Dodge Caravan. IT took a good while to find the house. The numbers were all jumbled. They went from 1600 to 1620 to 1670 to 1650. It was a mess. 

We finally found the house. Got loaded and left. 

We stopped to eat a Chic-Fil-A and there was a guy out front holding a sign for Kmart closing. We decided to go look after we ate.

At Kmart we found some large 14 gallon tubs that  she has been wanting for slaughtering rabbits. Heath got a Paw Patrol toy. I didn't find anything I couldn't live without.

In an hour we should have been home. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

When we got close to our exit traffic came to a stop. I was at an exit so I took it and hit the back roads. One of them was terrible. The bombed out roads in Afganistan were in better shape.  I hot a pothole with the tow dolly. The tire didn't blow so I figured we got off easy. 

When we got within 6 miles of home the dolly started vibrating. I told Steph to check the tire on the passengers side in the mirror. She said it looked low. 

I pulled into a parking lot and went to look. It was a bit more than a low tire. 

dolly.jpg

The pothole sheared off a lug and bent the backside of the rim. The resulting shaking destroyed things. 

So I called Graham to bring the little trailer and the tow strap. We were so close I figured we could just drag the van home. 

He got there and we got the dolly up on the trailer. This was accomplished with Steph pulling the dolly with BettyBlue while I lifted the side of the dolly up over the side of the trailer. 

After sacrificing my back muscles it was loaded. 

Then the tow strap was put between BB and the Caravan. I got in the Caravan and Steph started pulling. 

As soon as she pulled out of the parking lot (and onto a main road Highway 279) the tow strap broke. Steph, however, kept right on going. I have no idea how you don't know that you lost the vehicle you were towing. I sat there with my mouth hanging open. She disappeared into the distance. Graham ran over to help me push the van out of the road. It was so wet out that the van was sinking as we pushed it. 

My phone was in BB. I had Graham call Steph. He asked if she realized she wasn't pulling me. She didn't. I swear I sometimes wonder what goes on in her head. 

I was going to have her get a chain and come back. However, I figured it was best to just cut our losses and have it towed. I called roadside assistance. Graham and I had to wait an hour and a half for them to get there. 

Finally we got home at 930.

Today I was in agony. Steph took Emily to work while I sat on my massaging cushion. 

She got back and we went out to work on the dolly. Since it was up on the trailer it was pretty easy. I sat on a 5 gallon bucket and we got to it. 

Not only were the studs messed up they had wobbled out of the hub. There was no way to get a pair of vice grips on the back side of the stud even with the fender off. In order to have access to to the back of the hubs we had to cut the wheel off. It was no big deal to slice between the triangles.  Then out came the grinder and the studs got cut. We tried it with the sawzall and only succeeded in destroying a blade. 

Steph left to get Emily from work and I staggered in to look up a new hub. 

Autozone had one. So I called Steph and told her to get it. She did. 

Back home we tried to put it on. It didn't fit. The bearing was too small. So I called AZ back and they had a bigger one. Steph went back and got it. It worked. 

In short order we had it back together and then Steph yanked it off the trailer with Christine. 

Next we needed to load the Caravan on the dolly. Simple right.

With the dolly on the back of BB I pulled it around in front of the van.  I tied a knot in the tow strap and we hooked it to the van and used a chain to bridge the gap to Christine. Then Steph pulled. I was standing beside the van (because it is pretty nasty inside). 

Things were going swimmingly. The van was climbing and then things went all pear shaped. 

Christine lost traction.  The strap broke again. The van stopped going forward and since it was nearly all the way up on the dolly it immediately began going backwards. Since I was standing with the door open and my left hand on the door my permanently dislocated shoulder became more dislocated. I had to act quick to stop my shop from becoming a drive thru. I managed to throw myself in the nasty seat and slam on the brake. Then I nearly puked from the pain. 

After popping it back in socket we got another chain and hooked it to the JollyGreenGiant. This time I pulled and Steph rode. The van obeyed. 

Now I am sitting here feeling like I was trampled by a herd of Cape Buffalo. 

Tomorrow the van will go to the junk yard. I will be glad to see it go. 

• olcowhand, larrybl, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks