wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted December 10, 2016 - 07:54 PM

Today we divided and conquered.

Well, we tried to. 

I planned to get up at 9 (notice a pattern here), but my phone started ringing at 7. I  ignored it and it started ringing again. I looked at it and saw it was my neighbor Scott. So I answered. His Exploder (note another pattern) had died on him last night. He left it in a bars parking lot where he managed to push it at 2am.

So we got up.

divide_and_conquer_classic_white_coffee_

I left with Scott. Steph and Heath left to run to Lowe's to get a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood. We needed something to put under the Suburban that the transmission jack would roll on. Since there wasn't much hope of sliding a concrete slab under it plywood would work.

I got Scott's truck home and came in for a cup of coffee while I waited for Steph to get home. 

About 3 minutes before she pulled in I got a call from a guy in Charlotte who had a wrecked Chevy Cavalier he wanted to sell. I told them it would be at least 2 hours before I could get there. I was heavily invested in watching a video of a guy trying to figure out why his brand new turbo charged race car engine wouldn't make power. I figured since the Suburban wouldn't get fixed today I might as well hang on till the end. (Spoiler alert: it all boiled down him having the wrong hat on the carb. Whodathinkit)

While I watched that I printed out some HF coupons for AAA batteries and a flashlight, Heath loves flashlights.

We headed out and stopped at HF and then went on up to Charlotte. 

The gal didn't have a drivers license. She gave us an arrest warrant with her picture on it for an ID. That was a first. 

The Cavalier started and drove so it was super simple to load.

We headed back and Steph checked the weather for tomorrow. Mostly cloudy with a high of 39.

I asked her if we had any stocking caps. She asked why. I explained that while I love my hat it is impossible to wear under a car. We didn't have any. 

We stopped at Dollar General and got some. Heath got a pair of gloves as well. 

While we were in line to  check out, Steph walked over to get some cookies. The little gal behind us and I were trying to figure out if the cashier was male or female. We couldn't reach a decision.

Once we got back I checked out the Cavalier.

15442297_10154923123229739_6541259697890

When I backed it off the tow dolly I found several mini-bottle caps. I have no clue of the wreck was a result of those. 

Tomorrow we will ATTEMPT to put the transmission in the JollyGreenGiant.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 3 others have said thanks

#4322 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted December 11, 2016 - 06:57 PM

So close, so close and yet so far....

This morning we got up, fed Heath, turned on Planes:Search and Rescue, and went out to work on the JollyGreenGiant. Heath declared it was too cold to go out.He stayed in.

in_a_galaxy_far_far_away_an_alien_is_poo

We got the engine raised up, the oil pan out, and then I realized i didn't get an oil pump. So I came in for more coffee while Steph ran to AZ.

She snagged some BoJangle's biscuits while she was out.

After a couple of snags we got the pump and pan installed. Since it was cold and we had to wear gloves things went slower. 

It was about 3 when we finally had the motor mounts hooked back up and pulled all the tools out from under the truck. 

I poured fluid in the torque converter and we got the transmission off the 55 gallon drum it had been perched on since Friday and around front. 

We got the transmission under the truck and 

15420981_10154926871369739_7346033722820

I saw this. I wasn't sure if it was something that Greg knew about when he rebuilt it or not. I sent him a picture.

Since we had the cap off the torque converter I decided we needed to get it up on the transmission jack and install the converter and wait for Greg to text me back.

All the tools got tossed in the wagon and pulled inside the tent building. I came inside. Steph stayed outside to feed the animals.

I finally got a text back from Greg. That chip is why I got another discount on my discounted price. I does not have any effect on the transmission functioning. 

Steph cook a roast off of Piggy. It was tender and delicious.

It is supposed to rain tomorrow, and Steph and I both have doctors appointments, so the transmission will wait a day or so. 

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#4323 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted December 12, 2016 - 03:58 PM

And a beautiful day wasted. 

I got up this morning and was dragging. I couldn't put my finger on why, but I didn't' feel good. 

wasted_coffee_by_danielcoffeebreaks-d3l0

I drove down for my last back checkup and found out I was a day early. 

I got home and Steph left for her doctors appt.

I was going to go out and mess with some stuff, but my bowels decided they wanted to rebel. I have spent most of this beautiful day on the toilet. I called Steph to bring some Pepto home. 

If I had realized my appointment was tomorrow we would have gotten out this morning and finished the suburban. 

IF the weather is nice enough to morrow I will call and cancel my back visit and finish the truck. 

If I can stay off the toilet long enough. 

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4324 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 14,376 Thanks
  • 10,145 posts

Posted December 12, 2016 - 09:03 PM

There is a fine line between keeping us up to date and T.M.I.

You dance that line beautifully! Take a bow!

Or maybe not......

Edited by Cat385B, December 12, 2016 - 09:03 PM.

• olcowhand, Craig., UncleWillie and 2 others have said thanks

#4325 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted December 13, 2016 - 03:55 PM

So today

879f7c9f89b77b629569b65feee4a267.jpg

15420895_10154935762434739_3436423552086

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 4 others have said thanks

#4326 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,979 Thanks
  • 29,758 posts

Posted December 13, 2016 - 04:15 PM

So, how did the doctor visit go?
  • Craig. said thank you

#4327 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted December 13, 2016 - 04:22 PM

So, how did the doctor visit go?

Didn't make it. All that was going to happen was him saying things looked good and charging me $60.

• Gtractor, MH81 and Craig. have said thanks

#4328 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted December 14, 2016 - 08:21 PM

High hopes for today.

The guy finally came to get the Caddy last night. He took a chance putting Blue Devil in it. He didn't get far. He texted me about 20 minutes after he left. He wanted me to bring the car to his house this morning. He left it in a church parking lot. 

So once Heath was on the bus we left. It was so foggy I could barely see to drive.

the_trouble_with_real_life_is_there_is_n

He left the keys under the passengers floor mat. The carpet was soaked. I have a feeling the heater core blew.

We dragged it up to Hickory and left it at his place. Then we stopped at HF to grab a couple of things.

I had a massive headache so we stopped at a gas station and Steph went in to get me a Goodys. While she was in I turned the truck off. When she came back out I had no clutch. 

The master cylinder was a bit low, but not bad. We put a little more fluid in it then I pumped the clutch like a madman. Nothing. 

I crawled under it and took the little plug off the slave cylinder mount area (with the wrong sized wrench because that box was still in the wagon at the house). Steph pumped the clutch. It worked. I threw the plug in the toolbox and we came home. 

We did stop at BoJangle's for biscuits. 

At the house it didn't take us that long to get the transmission in. It would have been faster, but there was a 30 minute search for a nut to go on the transmission mount. No clue where that got off to.

Once I filled it with fluids I tried to start it. No go. Everything came on, but no starter motor. The solenoid wire was loose. With that tightened I tried again. It turned over, but wouldn't start. 

It had gas so it had to be spark. The plug on the ignition coil had broken. Not the wired side, the side of the coil where it plugged in had broken. UGH. Using some zip ties and patience I got it plugged in. 

So then it started up. I pulled it around and put water in it. It was sluggish because it was low on fluid still. I put more in it. It pulled great.

I drove down to Ben's house. He had just gotten back with the propane tank for his heat so I pull it out of his Suburban and hooked it up for  him. 

I left his house and took the long way home. It was a mistake. 

I got to where I was on a main road with no where to pull off and I lost third and OD. I thought I had lost all 4 gears, but I didn't want to mess with it with traffic coming at me. I coasted to a gas station. The fluid was still good.  Once I found I had 1 and 2 I knew I could get home. It was shorter to go back the way I had come, but it was all back roads the other way. 

I got it home and checked all the wiring. It was all on correctly. 

I was disgusted, but I came in and called the transmission shop. The owner called me back at 730 and told me that he would have the guy who built it call me in the morning. 

I really have no idea how getting to TN for Christmas and bringing Emily back with me is going to work now. 

• olcowhand, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4329 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted December 17, 2016 - 05:18 PM

Hack, gag, wheeze,

We all have the creeping crud. It creeps up on you and makes you feel cruddy, not quite sick, but cruddy.

We slept in a bit then slowly groaned our way to life.

deathrow1.jpg

After Steph and I were dressed we headed outside. Heath said he would play inside. Carmel wanted out with us so she sat on her chain and watched us work. 

The three Fued Exploders got dragged over one at a time and gutted. Then lined them up on death row. \

deathrow.jpg

While we worked my neighbor Scott came over to ask if we would work on his truck tomorrow. Someone put something in his tank and it barely runs now. 

The little Cavalier was going to death row, but it only had 93000 miles on it and it runs to dang good. It did all the pushing duties today. As long as it serves a purpose it can stay. 

At some point Buddy is bringing his Passport over for me to see why the heat doesn't work. He will get here when he gets here. 

Attached Thumbnails

• deathrow3.jpg

• olcowhand, larrybl and Gtractor have said thanks

#4330 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 7,489 Thanks
  • 4,588 posts

Posted December 17, 2016 - 06:08 PM

I sold this one running a couple years ago.

Attached Thumbnails

• Oil CH 2.JPG
  • Oil CH 5.JPG

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#4331 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted December 17, 2016 - 06:20 PM

Larry it looks like your had a lot less DUI than mine. 

#4332 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 7,489 Thanks
  • 4,588 posts

Posted December 17, 2016 - 06:30 PM

I bet I would still have it if I had not given it to my Daughter, She wrecked it and bent the frame, couldn't keep tires on it so I sold it for $500. 

#4333 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 10,927 Thanks
  • 6,384 posts

Posted December 17, 2016 - 08:52 PM

The caliver is surprisingly tough package. Around here all of them have rotted cross members and the rear axle falls out

#4334 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,979 Thanks
  • 29,758 posts

Posted December 17, 2016 - 09:00 PM

My son just got hit by a lady who led a light. 99 cav

He was in on an orange, she was in early for the green and got him.

She convinced him to leave the insurance out of it as she led him to believe his rates would go up too.  I have explained how big a mistake he made. especially since she admitted to leading the light.

Two big things are He understands now and everyone walked away.

I am just hoping no structural damage to the car.  We are going to have a bit in making the door close right again and making it look like a car again... It's only money, no one hurt.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#4335 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,265 Thanks
  • 8,977 posts

Posted December 18, 2016 - 08:04 PM

If I haven't said it often enough I HATE FORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This morning we slowly came to life and got moving around.  

stang.jpg

(If you don't get it search for Mustang crashes.)

I could hear Scott's truck running so I called him and told him to shut it off. I didn't want to work around a hot exhaust when I dropped his tank. He shut if off.

At whatever time it was that we went out the Furd decided it wouldn't run at all. I got in the Cavalier and drove over and got behind his Exploder. Then I pushed it to the work area. 

Then we pulled it up on ramps.

cavi.jpg

What we thought was going to be a quick repair was soon thwarted by Furd engineering. 

At some point there was a meeting where someone said, "Hey, it would be a great idea if we put quick connects on the fuel lines, because it would speed up the assembly process." All the bean counters said amen, and so it was done. 

Fast forward 23 years late, and the connectors are now full of mud and gravel and bits of the truck that rusted and fell off. 

After a full hour of working, using the stupid little plastic release tool, I had it off. I was a bit pissed at that point. 

And it started to rain. We carried the gas tank under the carport and worked at cleaning it out. The first sloshing came out looking like it had milk in it. After about 4 more times the gas was coming out clean.

I called AZ and they said the new fuel pump hadn't come in yet. I had to wait till 230. In the mean time the rain stopped. 

Finally, Heath and I saddled up and left. I got the pump and some injector cleaner and headed home. 

Back home it took about 20 minutes to get it the tank back in. Then I changed the fuel filter and we tried to start it. It would barely run. I thought it was because the back end was on ramps and it couldn't pick up and fuel so I got it off the ramps. It still didn't run and Steph said it was hemorrhaging fuel. 

Unfortunately, the ground was wet. The little Cavi didn't' have enough traction to pull the Exploder up on the ramps. So it got moved and BettyBlue took over. 

Once the truck was on the ramps the tank came out. 

I had Steph turn the key off and on to make the pump run. The one fitting I had the most trouble getting off was leaking. I had to take it off again. It took forever. I looked in side it to see if the o-rings were messed up and I found that the little fingers that hold the fastener together were all mangled. 

I put my finger over the fuel outlet and had Steph turn the key. It sprayed fuel out of a crack. 

I looked up the price of a sending unit - $125. Yikes. I sat down and looked at things till I formulated a plan then I called Scott. With his approval I proceeded. 

I sent Steph to the parts house for fuel line, clamps, a tubing cutter, and gas proof permatex. 

I started ordering pizza just as she got home. I told her to finish the order and I went out. 

I crawled back under the truck and cut the hard line off. then I took a file and made a couple of notches in the line so the rubber hose would grab.

Steph brought me the heat gun and I heated up the hose and got it to slide over the sending unit line, and over the ridge the quick connect was supposed to attach to, and all the way down to the top of the sending unit. Then I put two hose clamps on it. 

On the other end I applied a coat of silicone then slid the hose over and put two clamps on it. With the pump on nothing leaked. 

We heard the pizza guy pull in the yard. Steph started for the driveway. Before she got to the corner of the house the guy was flying down the street. I don't think he was her for 30 seconds before he decided we weren't here and left. She called the PapaJohn's and they said they would send him back. 

Since she was watching out for Mr Speedypizza I put the tank back in by myself. Once I had one bolt in it was simple. 

Speedy came roaring back up the road and missed out house even with Steph standing in the driveway waving a flashlight and yelling. He turned around two houses up and came flying back down and missed it again. Finally we got dinner. 

The truck started up and ran so I took i for a test drive. It ran great till it hit 2600 rpm in 4th then it stumbled. After it did it every time I got to 2600 I knew it was not fuel related. It is ignition. 

I took it back to Scott. He took it for a drive. I came in to eat. Steph already had tools tossed in the wagon and back in the tent.

Steph came in and got in the shower. I was eating when Scott came back. He said it ran just like it did before someone poured something in the tank. I think it was flour. Whatever it was made a mess. 

I came back in with my pocket full of money and my pizza was gone. Carmel and Gunner wouldn't make eye contact with me. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 1 other said thanks