• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,885 Thanks
  • 31,934 posts

Posted December 04, 2016 - 06:20 PM

Glad you made the first half of the trip safely!  Kinda drizzly here.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4307 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted December 04, 2016 - 06:48 PM

Glad you made the first half of the trip safely!  Kinda drizzly here.

I am just glad it put all the fires out.

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#4308 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 04:25 PM

Not bad day at all.

This morning the alarm went off and I got up and 

mondaycoffee.jpg

We finally went outside around 1130.

First we went down the hill and got three 55 gallon drums that I forgot I had and a set of tires that I need to get listed for sale. 

I cut the tops off two of the drums and drilled holes around the base. 

Once one of the drums was done we cleared off the dilapidated burn barrel and set up a nice new one. It took us about 3 minutes to get it full of stuff and on fire. 

Steph hooked the new wagon up to the 242 and we put the old burn barrel and the ashes in the wagon. Steph took it down the hill and put it all in its appropriate places. 

We scrubbed the mud and bird poop off the tires and we found one them and a tiny hole in the sidewall.

Steph ran do Walmart to get a good scrub brush because all I had was a carwash brush and it wouldn't touch the mud. 

I ran down to Ben's house with the other barrel and traded it for his that was falling apart. He wasn't home, but I called him and he was ecstatic to have a new one when I called him.

I came home and got on the 242 and mowed a bit of the super tall stuff around the burn pile.  

Steph got back from the store and we scrubbed the tires good and I took some pictures of them to post on CL.

Then we cleaned up stuff that had accumulated around the yard where it didn't belong. The scrap pile grew a good bit.

Heath got home and immediately went bonkers running around the yard chasing the cat. I let the dogs out of the house and he chased them around. 

The little wagon sure earned its keep today. It is better to pull behind a tractor than a regular yard trailer because no matter how hard you turn it will not get into the tire. 

We did some cleaning up around the rabbit pens and then I came inside. 

Heath is still running laps around the yard. Steph is messing with the rabbits. 

Later we are going to her friend, Anna's, house to eat sloppy joes. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 2 others have said thanks

#4309 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 14,366 Thanks
  • 10,136 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 05:11 PM

Sloppy Joe's sound like a fine idea for supper. Not sure about the pickle supply at home, though; so that might have to wait.
  • Craig. said thank you

#4310 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted December 06, 2016 - 05:07 PM

Not much happening.

Last night my back was killing me. Rather than lay in bed and keep Steph awake, I sat up in my recliner till I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer then went to bed. 

At around 130am there were lots of sirens. No one I know knows why. I asked the sheriffs dept on Facebook and they had no clue so it must have been EMS.

coffee-rainy-concept-season-42187698.jpg

It has poured rain all day. 

I had a guy call me and ask how much he could get for 300 pounds of scrap. I told him $12 and he got real quiet. He finally tole me to just come get it out of  his way so tomorrow we get to go to Charlotte. 

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#4311 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 05:19 PM

I an mot sure which is worse, the itching or the sneezing.

This morning we were up and got Heath on the bus. 

s-l300.jpg

I sent the guy in Charlotte a text and told him to let me know what time he got in. He said 8. It was 750 so I told him we would be there at 9.

About 5 miles into the drive I started to sneeze. 

We stopped on the way up to swing by HF. They have AA and AAA batteries free. I needed some ratchet straps too because the ones that go in my truck are restraining a tarp from leaving the property. 

I didn't sneeze the whole time we were in the store.  In the truck I started to sneeze again. 

When we got to Charlotte I remembered why I hate it so much. Pulling a trailer is sheer hell. The guy gave us the wrong address the first time and we wound up int eh wrong parking garage. Fortunately it didn't charge us for being there 3 minutes. 

He was from out of town and was going by what he was told the address was. Had he told me what building he was in I could have found him. He was in 1 Bank of America. We had to drive all over the place on one way streets through construction to get to a building that was half a block away.  We drove nearly 2 miles to go half a block. 

Again not one sneeze the whole time we were out.

Once we were loaded up we headed off to Wilson's Leather. 

I think I dislocated my spleen on the drive over from sneezing. 

When I looked online for a wallet they wanted $50 for the one I had. I knew they have lots of in store discounts so I figured I would go by and look. Turns out they had a 40% off sale and I got the wallet for $20. Not bad since the last one lasted 6 years and still looked perfect. 

We made our way through back roads to a little grill called Dixie River Grill and Grocery. The only groceries I saw there was beer. LOL.

I had a Sasquatch burger (chees burger with Texas Pete, slaw, fried pickles, and Bleu cheese dressing. Steph just got a boring old cheese burger. 

The owner came over to talk. She asked If I had been there before and I said years ago (Charlotte actually moved some roads and put another runway at the airport so the place was not on my way anymore), then she said, "well I ain't your dammed Mamma. Clean up your own mess." She was a mess. We laughed and talked a while then we had to go. 

I drove with the drivers window down for me and he heat on high for Steph. Not a single sneeze.

We stopped at Walmart and got some Febreeze with allergen fighting stuff in it. It seemed to help. 

We got home and I started to take the stuff we got from Charlotte apart.  Steph had an interview at a school, but she helped a little till she had to get cleaned up and leave. 

When Heath's bus arrived I went and retrieved him and he came back to inspect my work.

15338606_10154906379539739_8732597110551

Those are all parking garage gates. They are fiberglass. I handled all of them. My hands are itching like mad now. 

I know you are saying I should have worn gloves. Well I only have one pair right now. If I had used them I would have had no gloves because they would have had to go in the trash. In a day or so it will be fine. 

I finally got to hurting and had to come in. I got straight in the shower.

Steph got home and is cooking chicken. 

EDIT: I just got some Gorilla tape after my hands. I think it got 98% of the fiberglass out. 

Edited by UncleWillie, December 07, 2016 - 05:26 PM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#4312 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 1,187 Thanks
  • 936 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 06:58 PM

Got to remember the Gorilla tape trick, good Idea! :thumbs: 

• oldedeeres said thank you

#4313 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted December 08, 2016 - 08:52 PM

And the magic smoke escaped. 

Last night I was feeling like death and didn't sleep that well. I finally dragged myself out into the kitchen at 11. 

darkmagic.jpg

Once I was moving we had a car to disassemble. 

We went out and Steph started putting the tools I had out yesterday where they belonged. I was hurting and I had just covered them with a tarp. While she did that I took the heater core box on BettyBlue apart and I swear it had black pepper in it. I am not sure exactly what it was but it looked just like pepper. I vacuumed that out and put it back together. Just for good measure I dumped a bottle of peroxide in the defroster vent in case it had mold in it. 

We then disassembled the car. About halfway through I was using the Porter Cable cordless Sawzall and all the magic smoke escaped. I actually thought it had caught on fire it was smoking so badly.

Steph went in the shop and got my old faithful Bosch. I forgot how good a saw that thing really is. It did not like the thin blades I had and kept losing its grip on them. Once it lost its grip there was no putting them back in. When I ran out of blades we were done. 

Heath got home while we were working and went straight in the house to watch cartoons. I think they wore him out today. 

We came in and got cleaned up and left for an appointment in Charlotte at 5:40. Of course there was a crash every 3 miles so we got there late. 

When that was done we headed back south. Past all the same wrecks. And finally got to Home Depot in Gastonia. I ran in and got some thicker blades. 

Steph was starting to feel bad. Not so bad she couldn't eat however, and we went to China Buffet to eat.

Then to Ingle's to get stuff for Heath's lunch tomorrow. 

Finally we got home. 

Hopefully I can find the receipt for the saw. I bought it in March so it is still under the one year store warranty - if I can find the receipt. 

• olcowhand, larrybl, Gtractor and 1 other said thanks

#4314 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 7,449 Thanks
  • 4,570 posts

Posted December 08, 2016 - 09:27 PM

I had to replace the battery in my Daughter's 2013 Dodge Journey. I'll never understand why Dodge decided to put the battery in the wheel well. It had to be done in the dark, and yesterday, when it was in the 50's, as it is 20 degrees outside now. Took me about 45 minuets. Normally a under hood battery replacement is 5-10 minuets. She got a quote from a shop of $190 to replace the $145 dollar battery she bought. Drove the 45 minuets to me to install it.   

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#4315 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted December 08, 2016 - 09:55 PM

I had to replace the battery in my Daughter's 2013 Dodge Journey. I'll never understand why Dodge decided to put the battery in the wheel well. It had to be done in the dark, and yesterday, when it was in the 50's, as it is 20 degrees outside now. Took me about 45 minuets. Normally a under hood battery replacement is 5-10 minuets. She got a quote from a shop of $190 to replace the $145 dollar battery she bought. Drove the 45 minuets to me to install it.   

Several years ago (post-batcrazy woman pre-Steph) I had a beautiful gal that I used to do a lot of work on her house and vehicle. She had a 90 something Chrysler Sebring convertible. She had some place put in a new battery. Going down the interstate she lost the wheel they had to remove to put swap the battery. I had to go change all the studs over on the car. Fortunately there was no other damage ot her than some undercarriage scuffs. 

On the plus side she had errands to run and hated to drive so I got to drive her around all afternoon with the top down. The cars, not hers - unfortunately. 

• olcowhand, larrybl, MH81 and 2 others have said thanks

#4316 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted December 09, 2016 - 06:32 PM

Long Friday.

This morning I was going to sleep in till about 9 and then get outside and get the car finished up.  However, I got a text at 715 that my transmission was ready. So I got up. 

electcoffee.jpg

I was sore. All of my back except the part the operated on is sore.

At 8 I was on the way to Charlotte. 

Steph loaded up laundry, grabbed the smokeless sawzall, and headed to Lincolnton.

I figured I would be home in an hour. When I got to the shop it was dead silent. I was wondering if they were actually open. I went in and found Greg and he told me they had no power. The lights were on so I looked puzzled. He said they had 110 but everything bigger was out. They couldn't run lifts, lathes, welder, or the air compressor. The steam machine showed the power went down at midnight.

Greg got a phone call so I walked out to the truck for more coffee. There was a power company truck behind mine. We all stood there and watched as he put new fuses on the line. The first one went great. The second one exploded. It was deafening. We must not be normal because we all stood there laughing like mad.

I got a call from a friend who said a guy he knew had a Ford Explorer he wanted gone. Someone had abandoned it at rental property. All the legal requirements had been met so the truck could go. 

I paid for the transmission and waited for the power guy to move his truck. It took him about an hour to move it. He had to get close enough to the pole to use his boom. 

I finally headed out with a shiny clean transmission in the bed and a bright purple torque converter in the front seat. 

I got home and Steph had not arrived. I tried to call her and heard her phone ring in the bedroom. I was going to tell her to hurry and get home, but all I could do was wait. 

While I waited I got a call from the guy who wanted the Caddy. He was coming this afternoon to get it.

I knew she was home when she backed into the front porch. LOL.

She carted the laundry in and then we left to get the Exploder. It was a win for me because he didn't want money, he just wanted it gone. 

He had me look at his Blazer for him. I poured some gas in the intake and it started right up. I most likely has a bad fuel pump.

He told the the Ford had a slight ticking in the front end. It was only 2 miles from the house we we just towed it with a strap behind BettyBlue. 

Slight my butt.

We got home and finished up the car and got it out of the back yard. Then we cleaned everything up.

I came in and collapsed into a chair. Steph stayed out and waited for Heath's bus.

Just as soon as I got comfortable. Steph said that someone was here. It was my neighbors friend who has a bunch of rental property. He had 3 push mowers that were left at his properties.  

Once we had those put out of sight I came in and sat down again. Sure enough the guy who wanted the Caddy showed up. So I went back out. 

He bought the car. I showed him the Ford and he is interested in it if I can get it started tomorrow. I think it is just out of gas. He left with the keys and the title to the car. He is coming back for it tomorrow. He has bought them from me before so he knows it will still be here.

I came back in and sat down for a bit. 

Steph said that Lowe's is sending my saw in for repair. She didn't know I had bough the extended warranty. Oh well as long as I get it back I don't care. 

I called Autozone and they had the oi l pan gasket and rear main, but only one of each. So I figured I had better go get them on the odd chance someone else was working on a 99 Suburban. So I got up again. 

When I got there we all got caught up on the happenings in Cherryville. Then I left them with $150 of the money I had just made and headed home. 

I got home and took a shower because we were supposed to go to something at Heath's school. When I got out I was so tired I wasn't sure if I wanted to. Steph said she would see if Heath had gotten dressed and let that decide if we were going. He wasn't, we didn't.

Anyone want to come help me install a transmission tomorrow?

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 1 other said thanks

#4317 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,885 Thanks
  • 31,934 posts

Posted December 09, 2016 - 07:00 PM

Anyone want to come help me install a transmission tomorrow?

I would, but by the time I drove there, I'd be too tired to do the work.   :smilewink:

#4318 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,843 Thanks
  • 47,077 posts

Posted December 09, 2016 - 07:03 PM

A little far for me too! Probably wouldn't be much help by the time I got there!

#4319 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 5,075 posts

Posted December 09, 2016 - 11:55 PM

Why don't you bring it up to the shop and we'll do it on the lift?

• KennyP said thank you

#4320 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 16,250 Thanks
  • 8,966 posts

Posted December 10, 2016 - 01:22 PM

Why don't you bring it up to the shop and we'll do it on the lift?

Sure thing, just let me stab the transmission in and I will drive it up there. 

• olcowhand, DougT and KennyP have said thanks