#4231 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 04:34 PM

It was a good day for a stogie, or three.

cigar.jpg

We started off by heading down to Autozone to get the o ring for the Passport and fuel line disconnects to get the baby truck off the trailer. 

Once the fuel line was off we had to contend with a stubborn ground wire that refused to let go of the block. Finally I convinced it the world was better off if I didn't attack it with cable cutters. 

The baby truck got the engine and transmission stuck in the bed and got parked in derelict row. We covered it up with the tarp and that was done till an engine is found. Max Headrom got moved back there too.

IMG_20161023_152538658 (1).jpg

Then we got the Saturn up on the trailer and yanked the tires of it. 

IMG_20161023_152449372.jpg

The tires will go on Christine.

IMG_20161023_152523281.jpg

We cleaned up a few things then Steph and Heath left to visit a friend. I spent some time cleaning up the yard.

MawMaw Wander is moving her brother in with her so I loaned them the little trailer. 

I repaired the side boards on the big trailer then I made a tailgate for the it. NO pictures though. I put a 2x6 between the sideboards. Now I am all our of 3 inch screws. Time to get more. 

I cleaned up the yard a bit and then put the freshly painted rear wiper on the Passport.

IMG_20161023_152607216.jpg

I got got hungry and made some burritos out of the leftovers I found in the fridge. Not bad for a mix of everything. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 2 others have said thanks

#4232 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 06:39 PM

There was something missing from your last post, which I am sure must be a good sign........no mention of pain.  But I know you did have pain in your day, but surely the absence of the word pain must mean it wasn't as bad.

• MH81 and Craig. have said thanks

#4233 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 08:31 PM

There was something missing from your last post, which I am sure must be a good sign........no mention of pain.  But I know you did have pain in your day, but surely the absence of the word pain must mean it wasn't as bad.

My pain level is super low. I have some discomfort in my upper back and hips, but I am able to get through a day without being in agony. I can even get up and down easier. A neighbor commented that I am not groaning anymore when I bend down. I guess it was pretty noticeable.

• olcowhand, larrybl, MH81 and 3 others have said thanks

#4234 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 07:17 PM

It was Monday all day.

It was my turn to get up with Heath before dawn to get him on the bus today.

slowwwwwww.jpg

With that done I sent out some emails and waited on replies. We were supposed to take one car to the crusher and look at p 3 more, and go get a load of misc car parts.

At 930 I finally got calls back. I told Steph to get up and get ready. Well she got up. It took her almost an hour to get ready. 

The three cars were a no go so that was one thing we didn't have to mess with. I also called all the scrap yards. Cars were $3/100. Dangit. I only paid $100 for the Saturn. We got 4 new tires, a catalytic converter, and a battery for a core, so anything we got at the yard was profit. 

We got outside and got BettyBlue hooked to the big trailer. There were a couple of snags to getting out of the yard because of where the trailer was sitting. We finally got untangled and got going. 

The trailer had a low tire and my compressor has still not come back yet. The QT isn't far away and it has free air so we headed on down.

There was a bald fat guy in a Kia sitting at the air pump. A female left the car as we puled up and walked to the store. After a about 10 minutes she came back with a tire gauge. He held the hose the entire time so I couldn't use it. Then ht took a full 30 minutes airing up his tires. I am not kidding. A full 30 minutes. I was about to push his car out in the highway. After he had the air pressures checked he had to go around the car twice checking the valve caps.  Then he got in the car. Sat there a minute. I started up BB and reved the engine and let her creep forward. He finally started the engine and backed up slowly. I shoved the truck in between him and the air pump. He got the idea and finally got moving. 

By the time the tire was aired up I realized there was no way to unload the car and load up scrap before Heath got home from school. 

I called the shop that had the metal and they were having a full blown Monday too. They were glad I was tied up. We will go there tomorrow morning.

We got to the scrap yard and got a whopping $73 for the car. 

We went to Harbor Freight and got some gloves, because it is getting to be cold metal season. Nothing worse than picking up frozen steel with bare hands. 

We got back home in plenty of time to get Heath.

We started back on the Honda again. 

It took a bit of doing the new O-ring on the fuel pump, but it got on there. NO cuts in this one. Then we got the transmission jack under the gas tank after some serious wrestling. I had to lay on my back and put my arms over my hear to lift the tank up. My upper back is not happy now. 

then we started to bolt it in. We only had one bolt and that was the one that I stuck in the ramp. Steph has no idea what she did with the other ones. So I sent her to Ace and to run a few other errands. I waited for Heath. 

Heath got home without his lunch box. I hope they have it at school. 

Steph got back and we went out to get to it. She got the wrong bolts. She swore that she got the exact same one that I sent her with. The one off the truck was fine thread, the ones she bought were course. So she got to go back. 

When she returned with the right ones it didn't take but a minute to get the tank finished up. 

Then we put the license plate bulb in, and painted the front bumper. All it needs is a tire now and it will be ready to go home. 

I staggered in feeling like someone hit me between the shoulder blades with a pickaxe. I have managed to get ti to crack a couple of times an it feels a bit better. 

Heath is playing with his favorite new puzzle - the old instrument panel out of a truck. He loves to take the gauges out and put them back in. He even managed to get the odometer in it finally. 

#4235 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 08:20 PM

I am tired.

military_convoy_drivers_if_we_didn_t_hau

So I will be brief.

ONce Heath was on the bus,  we took BettyBlue and the big trailer, drove to Mt. Holly, loaded up scrap metal. Drove to Jack in the Box, loaded up on carbs. Drove to Charlotte, unloaded scrap metal. Drove home, dropped big trailer, checked MawMaw Wanders well pump switch (it was bad), hooked up to the tow dolly. Drove to Lincolnton, Loaded up a Corolla. Helped a guy load a PT Cruiser on his dolly. Drove to Lowe's, got a pressure switch. Drove home. Installed pressure switch. Hooked Christine to the small trailer in MawMaw's driveway, moved trailer, unloaded same. Came home. Hooked small trailer to BettyBlue. Waited for Heath to get off the bus, drove to Morganton, got a couch for one of Steph's friends, delivered couch to freinds house. Drove to Wal-mart. Drove home. Collapsed into recliner. 

I love it when a plan comes together.

• olcowhand, larrybl, Gtractor and 4 others have said thanks

#4236 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,968 Thanks
  • 29,758 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 11:48 PM

At least Tuesday wasn't another Monday. :thumbs:
  • Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#4237 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 800 Thanks
  • 271 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 09:00 AM

Everyone deserves a day like that once in a while. Gives one hope.
  • olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#4238 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 07:22 PM

And sometimes a plan doesn't go as planned. 

Yesterday at the scrap yard they were shredding something that had a cloud of stuff that made me sneeze. And sneeze. And sneeze. Till I pulled a muscle in my back. So I took a Benedryl and a muscle relaxer before bed. I never remember hearing my alarm.

s-l225.jpg

When I finally got up we made our way to Gastonia to pay the guy for the scrap we got yesterday. There was a bad wreck in Dallas involving a couple of cars and a UPS truck. We finally got to the towing company and the boss was a the wreck we had just passed. THey decided to keep the trailers that were there so we went on towards home. 

The wreck was cleared up by the time we got back. We stopped and voted then headed home.

We stopped at Reid's shop to see if he could make me a mount for a brush guard. He thinks he can so we went on home. 

We got things ready pretty quickly and then got the Toyota up on the trailer so we could pull the engine. Things went pretty good and in no time it was dangling. 

Before we could get it off the trailer Grady showed up and brought my air compressor back. 

We got back to the car and then Graham walked over. 

I kind of lost track of what we were doing and forgot to make a final check before we pulled the car out from under the engine. 

Steph got int he Toyota. I got in BettyBlue. I pulled and then I heard Graham and Steph yelling for me to stop. 

When I got out and could see over the open hood on the Toyota I saw the end of the engine crane sticking up over it. I walked back to find the crane had followed the car down the trailer and had flipped up. 

Being distracted I had missed the throttle cable on the engine. OOPS

IMG_20161026_172101856.jpg

IMG_20161026_172058669_HDR.jpg

A little work with the sawzall and it was off.  No one got smashed and nothing broke. 

The Toyota went back in Derelict Row. The engine and trans are on the crane in the driveway. Tomorrow we will separate the transmission and they guy can come get the engine. 

I can tell my stamina is still off because I am exhausted after not doing all that much. 

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4239 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted October 27, 2016 - 04:12 PM

The best laid plans of mice and men....

6007682-business-plan-or-planning-concept-with-pen-paper-and-coffee-Stock-Photo.jpg

I went to bed last night with at plan for today. When the alarm went off at 615 I knew the plan was canceled.  I was exhausted.

When we got up we had to get in gear and get things done. First the engine and trans had to be seperated. Then the trans went in the trunk of the Toyota, the engine went in the back of BettyBlue. We loaded the tires off the Saturn in Christine.

I left for LIncolnton. Steph headed to Cherryville. 

I stopped at the DMV to get BB registered. The title is still wrong. I have to get something else done to make it able to be put in my name. It is getting to the point of not being worth it. 

Then I went to TSC and got some clips, a candy bar, and a Dr Pepper. 

I got to the garage that the engine was going to and backed in to a bay. I set my DR. P on the step of the truck The engine got unloaded and the guy there shut the tailgate. I forgot all about my drink. I hope the lid was on it tight when it fell off. I only took one drink. Never saw it fall. 

Then I went to Home and tool world and got a  couple of things I needed.  Then to Lowe's to get a 2x2 and a some screws. 

I got home before Steph did. 

I started working on building a box to put in the tool box on BettyB so i could install onboard air. 

Steph got home shortly after I did and helped out. 

We got that installed 

IMG_20161027_160420815.jpg

IMG_20161027_160412383.jpg

All made from mostly scrap lumber and wiring out of a junk car. I only need a fuse holder to finish it up. It will be super to be able to air up tires in the middle of nowhere.

We cleaned that mess up and called it a day. 

I am still exhausted. I will probably be in bed early tonight. 

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#4240 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted October 28, 2016 - 02:47 PM

Time for a cold glass of grapefruit juice.

junk_yard_worker_zombie_slayer_coffee_mu

This morning at 7am I saw a school bus come by. It didn't stop so I figured it was a bus going somewehere else. At 745 every kid on the street was still here waiting. Bus is supposed to be here at 715.  Turns out it was a substitute driver. 

We took Heath to school. I left a message for the prinicpal to call me. 

On the way up a black Chevy Impala came flying past up at over 100 and weaving in and out of traffic. I called 911.

We got up to the junk yard. At Pull-a-Part we got a tire and some floor mats for the Passport. Then we went over to LKQ and managed to find not one, but two of the obsolete door handles. Only one matched, but we have a spare. 

We headed home. About halfway home there was an accident ahead of us. We got there and there was a black Chevy Impala embedded in the guard rail. Not sure if it was the same one or not. 

We got back home and  got the tow dolly and then headed down to Shelby. We had to wait about 15 minutes for the guy to get off for lunch, but we grabbed a Furd Exploder. While I was loading it the principal called. He said it was a substitute driver. I asked if that was an excuse for them just driving by without stopping. He agreed that something needed to be done about it. 

We headed back towards the house. One stop at a car wash to blast the Herpsigonnaaidsarreah off the floor mats. We turned to go back to the truck and there was a cop walking through the parking lot yelling at a Subaru wagon. HE was telling the guy that people had been calling in about him and he had nearly had 4 head on collisions. 

We got back home and put the tire and door handle on the Passport. 

Heath got home. 

We washed the Honda. I drove it up the road the make sure all was well. Then I called Buddy to come get it. 

We picked up tools and I came in and poured myself a tall glass of Grapefruit juice.

I'm tired. 

Edited by UncleWillie, October 28, 2016 - 03:25 PM.

#4241 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted October 29, 2016 - 06:43 PM

Beautiful day. 

Cup-of-coffee-coffee-17731301-1680-1050.jpg

Sam wanted to come up today so I sent him a text last night and him we were sleeping in and to let me know when he was headed this way. He sent a text at around 10.

We sat in the living room a while and watched half a movie. Then we went outside to leave Steph the house to clean. 

First we took a look at the Explorer. It is a pretty clean truck. I called the guy to ask him what was wrong with it. He said it has a blown head gasket. So it will get sold as/is or it will sit till scrap prices go up after the election. 

As always the video will play whenever the sloooow internet uploads it. 

Here are a couple of pictures to hold you over. 

IMG_20161029_123945855_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161029_123920625_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161029_123852114.jpg

Then we got the string mower up on the back of BettyBlue and took a look at it. It needed a new recoil starter put on it. It took a bit of doing. One of the bolts had stripped out. Two were rusted bad enough that I had a bear of a time getting them out. Once those were out we headed to the hardware store. 

We got some bolts and caramels and drinks and then headed to Autozone. I got a some connectors for a fuse holder for the onboard air. 

We got back home and got things reassembled and then the little demon would not start. I tinkered and tinkered and finally pulled the carb apart an blew some air threw it. It hocked out a lugie and then finally started up. It ran better than it ever has. Only took 3 1/2 hours to get it going. I wonder how long it had been crudded up. 

Then we cleaned up the tools. We made a bit of a mess. 

While I was de-crudding the carb I had the boys run around and pick the yard up. I think they spent more time playing with the wagon. They may be old enough to vote, but they are still big boys. Although aren't we all. 

Then I turned my attention to the onboard air system. My soldering iron was not up to the task of heating the cable up. My little butane torch was murdered in a tractor mow by. So I sent the boys to Wal-Mart to get one. I sat in the truck and drank coffee. 

When they got back we got things soldered up, and the compressor works. 

We came in and Steph had dinner ready. Pork roast and taters. We watched the last half of the movie while we ate. 

The boys left. Steph went to the store. Heath and I are watching Animaniacs. 

• olcowhand, DougT, Gtractor and 2 others have said thanks

#4242 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,968 Thanks
  • 29,758 posts

Posted October 29, 2016 - 11:12 PM

Sounds like a great Sat.

#4243 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 07:46 PM

Nice easy day.

(I searched for leisurely coffee this was the first image)

leis.jpg

I slept in a bit this morning. I got up. Steph decided to take a nap. Heath and I went outside.

I tinkered with the Falcon. I figured it was time since it has been on the stand for a few weeks. 

I pulled the bowl off the carb and found this

IMG_20161030_130312036_HDR.jpg

The fuel in the tank looked like tea.

I cleaned the carb out and then couldn't get it to pull fuel from the tank. I took the feed line off the carb and turned the key. It blew sand out. I figure the pump is done for. 

I don't remember where we got gas when it messed up three engines, but I hope we don't get it there again.

Once I knew that wasn't going to be running today I poked around outside for a bit. 

I decided to start up the Gravley and run it out of gas. So I did. Normally  you pull the choke and turn the key till it pops once. Then push the choke in and turn the key and it starts. Today it popped and I let go of the key to push in the choke, it kept on running. I guess ti was ready to be put to bed for the winter.  Heath immediately came running. I had to herd him out of the tent building.

After a bit I figured the Gravley would tend to itself so I came in. When it finally died Steph ran out and turned the key off. 

She didn't feel like cooking. We asked Heath where he wanted to go eat. He said the orange restaurant (Hooters). We drove down. All the waitresses were doting on him. He loved it. Then we had chocolate cake. He really loved that.

We were going to go to the book store, but I was getting a headache. We went to the Dollar Tree. Spent a grand total of $3.14. Then came home.

• olcowhand, MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#4244 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • 15,660 Thanks
  • 8,758 posts

Posted November 03, 2016 - 07:34 PM

Not a bad day.

Heath came home yesterday and had wet his pants at school. (he had a spare set of clothes there), which he never does. Then we went to meet a guy in SC and Heath pooped his pants. which he has never done. Then he started acting tired and cranky. On the way home he kept putting his hands over his ears. We took a napkin and plugged his hears with it. Most likely he has an ear infection. First time in his life he has ever been sick. 

We were home at 7pm and he went straight to bed. He woke up at 1am and got in bed with us. He never does that. 

This morning I got up got dressed and left for the junk yard.

mechanic.png

My nephew needed a turn signal and mirrors for his van. I wanted some factory molded vacuum lines for Spooky. 

I got all of those and then found a Suburban with a nice grey dash that I got lots of pieces off of. Then MI looked around at all the other trucks and found an extra cab truck with a 40/60 split bench. I have been looking for one for years. SO I took my first load of parts out and got different tools and headed back in. 

I got all but one bolt out and then needed a wrench instead of a ratchet. I asked a guy if he had a 15mm and he said to look in his tool box. Not only did he have a wrench, he had a gear wrench. Woohoo. 

While I was finishing pulling that a gal came up and said she would pay me $10 to pull the strut off a Toyota Solara. I told her I would do it as soon as I got the parts I was after. 

She found one car and a guy (husband I guess) came over and said it looked right and so I began to pull it. Then they found another car and said it had a better one. I told them I wasn't pulling parts off ever car in the yard for $10 so they better find the one they wanted. They did. And I pulled it. Took 15 minutes maybe.

I loaded up and headed home.

Sam got here before I did and was supposed to be mowing with the string mower. I got home and he was sitting in his van. They couldn't get the mower running. I went back and pulled the rope three times and it fired right up. I guess it likes me better.

I came in to sit down and have a cold drink. I was a bit warm. It was 76 here today.

I went out and told Sam to park his van in the shade. I sent Steph to the hardware store to get more string for the string mower because we couldn't find it anywhere.

She go back just as we were finishing up putting his new mirrors on. The turn signal didn't fit. I will have to go back.

When I pulled my hammer out of the tool bag I found this weapon of war.

hammer.jpg

I forgot those magnets were even in there. 

I got new string on the mower and he took off mowing again. I forget what I was doing, but I turned around and Sam's friend Tyler was standing there. He came up to visit.  

While Sam mowed Tyler and I moved some big stuff around. and scrubbed the seat.

seat.jpg

Then he and I went for a ride in his truck because he said it was making a noise. IT never made it with me in it. 

We got back and I had them park their vehicles side by side and I got out the headlight polishing kit. Oddly enough Sam's van has one glass and one plastic headlight. I got them polished up and they look a million times better. 

Graham walked over and we all stood around talking a while. He went home, we came in. Steph cooked chicken and noodles so the boys dug in. Heath fell asleep on the floor wrapped up in his big brown blanket.

Nothing planned for tomorrow, but you know how that goes. 

#4245 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,966 Thanks
  • 9,998 posts

Posted November 03, 2016 - 07:52 PM

Tyler's noise on his truck? The passenger side seat bracket is loose.
  • KennyP said thank you