#4217 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,565 Thanks
  • 4,698 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 05:42 AM

That fuse pic is great. Reminds me of a forklift at work that had a short we couldn't find. Stop and get a pack of fuses every morning so we could get some work done.
  • MH81, Alc and Craig. have said thanks

#4218 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 14,576 Thanks
  • 8,321 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 11:16 AM

And to cap off last week. 

ef76038f171bf21fb05c0f58eb8c049b.jpg

Friday we went out to get the pressure washer fired up and clean some stuff up. It didn't happen. The thing would not start at all. Nothing that I tried worked. No clues as to what us wrong and don't really care about it enough to get that involved with it. 

Finally I just got the dawn and a sponge and cleaned the Ranger up.  Didn't look too bad after a bath.

Buddy found a Honda Passport in Spartanburg so we went down at 4 to look at it. Traffic was unbelievably heavy. And it never is through there unless there is a wreck.

We got to the Honda and it was descent enough. A shakedown run showed a few problems, but nothing major. IT needs a tail light, fuel pump o ring (when  you fill it completely up it smells of fuel), an AC control panel (fan cannot be shut off), and a couple of other t hings. Nothing a trip to a junk yard wont fix.

When we stopped for gas I noticed the back bumper on BettyBlue had been hit and the rusted part had broken through.

IMG_20161015_140837090.jpg

IMG_20161015_140841542.jpg

I hope whoever hit it destroyed their car. 

I got home about 830.

Saturday morning A guy came to look at the Ranger. He was a mechanic at a Ford dealership. He agreed with my diagnosis of the truck and took it home with him. 

A short time later a guy showed up to buy a Murray LT I had sitting in the weeds. He wants to come back and get a TroyBilt.

I had a good bumper on the parts truck so I wanted to swap them over. Simple job - 20 or so bolts(2 bumpers off one on) and done. HA.

The bumper swap (and receiver hitch install) went flawless.We had to make 2 small changes to the bumper to make ti fit the stepside.  However, we made the tail lights mad. It took us 4 hours to figure it out. There was no power to them at all. No power off the fuse block. I unhooked the fuse block. Nothing amiss. Hooked them back up. Suddenly we had power. Odd. Then I tried to get the lights to work. Nothing. Finally I pulled the tail light harness off of Spooky's bed and put it on BB. Problem solved. Still don't understand why since everything tested good. 

5 hours and all 7 rechargeable batteries for the flashlight and it was all done. 8pm. We were all worn out. Heath fell asleep on the couch with a piece of pizza.

Only thing I have done today is take a picture of BB's rear end.

IMG_20161016_115409996_HDR.jpg

Edited by UncleWillie, October 16, 2016 - 11:18 AM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#4219 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,226 Thanks
  • 43,343 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 01:53 PM

Glad the Ranger sold quick! BB has a nice looking rear end now!

• Craig. said thank you

#4220 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,576 Thanks
  • 8,321 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 07:04 PM

Glad the Ranger sold quick! BB has a nice looking rear end now!

I think it looks better with the black bumper. 

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#4221 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 34,226 Thanks
  • 43,343 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 05:02 AM

Protects the corners well.

• Craig. said thank you

#4222 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,576 Thanks
  • 8,321 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 04:22 PM

Today was corny.

Up at 615. 

c58143941b430ac86e4cee054d4700a0_400x400.jpeg

The bus came for Heath at 715. We headed down to the school at 745. 

We were chaperoning a field trip and had no clue what time to be anywhere. The school told us the bus was leaving for the corn maze at 9. I figured it would take them till 10 to get there. 

We headed down to Shelby and ran in Harbor Freight. Then off to Boiling Springs to get breakfast at Hardee's. We drove down to the corn maze to eat and wait for the bus to get there. 

At 1015 they got there. It took a few more minutes to get things organized and get them moving. 

They had a ball. They went thru the maze, played on a big slide made from a 20 foot section of 3 foot corregated pipe, rode behind a 4 wheeler in little cow cars, rode a hay wagon, played on the playground, ate lunch, then bounced on a air pillow until time to leave. 

IMG_20161017_100813385.jpg IMG_20161017_102331811_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161017_103025833.jpg

IMG_20161017_103855625.jpg

IMG_20161017_122716680.jpg

They were tired

IMG_20161017_132923006.jpg

We got home and I loaded up the brush guard in the truck and headed down to the car wash to blast the mud off it.

Back home I took the wire brush on the grinder to the rusted spots then shot it with black rustolelum. We could only find one mounting bracket for it. If I can't find it I will get Reid to make me one. 

Then I polished up the lenses on BettyBlue's headlights. Hopefully I will be able to see at night now. Forgot to take a before pic. And, yes, the burn barrel is slowly disintegrating. A little more and I will be able to pick it up with a magnet.

IMG_20161017_150325796.jpg

Edited by UncleWillie, October 17, 2016 - 04:26 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#4223 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,576 Thanks
  • 8,321 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 04:37 PM

Up in the morning and off to school...

This morning Steph got up to get Heath off to school. I was a bit sore from yesterdays adventures so I laid in bed. 

I heard the bus come down the road, heard the horn honk, heard the bus accelerate down the road, Then I heard Christine start up and leave. Steph had missed the bus. LOL. She took Heath to school. 

schoolcoffee.jpg

I got up and had an email from a gas in Charlotte about a heavy duty wagon with a liner in it. So I got my thermos and left. Steph was cleaning the house.

So I rode up and got the wagon. It is just like this one, but used.

wagon2.jpg

Then I went to Northern Tool. I snagged a couple of things and headed off to Walmart. Steph wanted me to look up there for some storage containers. They didn't have them. 

I came home and we unloaded the wagon. Steph can use it for transporting rabbit poop with the liner in and I can use it for going to pull-a-part so I don't have to stoop over to use their wheelbarrows.

Then I looked to see why the stereo in BettyBlue was not working. When we had to pull the fuse panel out I found that the PO had stuffed a chewing gum wrapper in the fuse slot to make it make contact. When I took the fuse out the wrapper was stuck in the slot I pulled out what I could see, but there was more in there.  I had to dig it out with a pick. After all the paper was out I bent the tabs down and it works. 

We started to organize my tools. The last few month before surgery I was hurting so bad that putting stuff away means piling it on the gurney and forgetting about it. The shop looked like a war had taken place in it. 

We spent a couple of hours and made a small dent in the mess. 

Heath got home and I gave him the cars I bought for him today. He played in his bedroom with them while we worked some more. 

The neighbor, Jenni, came over to play with the bunny rabbit she has claimed. We sat out in the shop with two bunnies. I hooked up a stereo to replace the one I took out and put in Sam's van. So we had music while we sat. 

Heath finally came out and discovered the wagon. He played with it till he got it stuck under the carport then he came in the shop and started taking things apart. 

I finally decided it was time to go inside. Jenni went home. The bunnies went back in the cages. 

Tomorrow we will finish the tool cleanup. Maybe. 

#4224 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 34,226 Thanks
  • 43,343 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 04:58 PM

Sounds like a normal type day around here!

• Craig. said thank you

#4225 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,576 Thanks
  • 8,321 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 08:55 PM

I tried to do nothing today. I was unsuccessful.

I did manage to achieve my goal for a good while. 

failure_coffee_mug-r204aefafe2af48acad03

At 230 Steph left for a interview.  I went outside to see if the Saturn would start. That was really the only thing I was going to do all day. Someone had yanked all the fuses and relays out of it so I went through my bins and replaced them. A shot of starting fluid and it fired up for a second.

Heath got home and went straight in the house. School wore him out.

A splash of gas in the tank and it ran till the jump box died. I hooked it to BettyBlue and it idled. It leaked oil out of the valve cover badly. 

I listed it for sale.  If no one bites by Monday it is off to the crusher. 

I sat in my chair a while longer. 

At 545 Steph sent me a text. A friend of hers was in Gastonia and bought a chair and was looking for a couch. She needed a way to get them home. I hooked up the trailer and told her I would be down shortly. 

At the end on my road there was a little Ford Ranger with a tow dolly stopped in the road and an 87 Chevy 1500 in the ditch. The Chevy was trying to back out and couldn't because it had bald tires. I pulled it out. They said the transmission had died and reverse was the only gear they had. The Ranger was there to tow them. Not smart, but not mine either. 

I helped them get loaded. It took way longer than it should have. I loaned them a come-a-long that I had in the truck that I hated. It kept getting jammed. If they bring it back good. If not - oh well. 

It was close to 7 when I got to the shop the girls were at. The chair was loaded. The trailer popped of fthe ball when we stepped on it. The pin didn't get put back in and the latch released. Oops. Then we went to Chic-Fil-A for supper. Anna paid since we came down to haul her stuff. 

She was unsuccessful in finding a couch. The one she wanted sold fast. So we put the trailer on Christine and Steph and Heath followed Anna home. 

I came home with the groceries. 

My back is feeling terrific today. No pain. NO stiffness. I almost feel like a human. We will see if I still feel that way tomorrow. 

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#4226 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,576 Thanks
  • 8,321 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 06:23 PM

Not a bad day at all. 

Steph got Heath off to school then we laid in the bed and did nothing.

97d7c6c2f79ade4f32830e4c4bc1877a.jpg

He only had a half day so he was back at 1145.

At 1230 He and I left for his dental appointment. Steph and Jenni left shortly afterwards for Jenni's doctor appointment.

If you recall his last appointment ended in a draw between his old dentist and him, so I was a bit curious how this one would go. It went very well. They let me come back with him and he held my hand while they examined him. The other guy didn't let me come back and I think that was the main difference. 

He did so well that we went to KFC afterwards. 

We got home first and took a break from running around. 

Steph got home and we got some work clothes on and went out to organize the tools more. 

I had found a socket set box in the shed and I got out my bucket of sockets and built a new tool kit to take to junk yards. I was only  missing a 1/4 in drivel 1/4 inch deepwell when it was all done. In all 5 socket sets now we are missing 3 sockets. Not bad considering the mess we had before. 

Steph needed rabbit food so we loaded up in BettyBlue and went to TSC. 

Since Heath and I ate a late lunch Steph is just now getting dinner ready. 

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4227 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,375 Thanks
  • 4,082 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 06:47 PM

I usually find that the missing tool is the one most needed / used. I keep a note in my wallet that has the printer ink numbers, House air filter size, a few other pieces of info I can never remember, and tools I am missing for that yard sale or flee mart stop.

• MH81, Alc, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#4228 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,576 Thanks
  • 8,321 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 07:24 PM

I was surprised we didn't have all the tools for the sets. I only have three buckets of sockets. 

• Craig. said thank you

#4229 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,909 Thanks
  • 29,736 posts

Posted October 22, 2016 - 06:26 AM

And...
What is the clinical definition for a person who is sad because because there isn't any coffee?

They say he's Depresso.

(You can blame my daughter on that one)
  • Craig., KennyP and UncleWillie have said thanks

#4230 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,576 Thanks
  • 8,321 posts

Posted October 22, 2016 - 04:01 PM

Been busy.

Yesterday Steph and I went to the junk yard to hunt for parts. 

9a50f0143199bbcc5db793401d6f4e66.jpg

We found a few parts for the Passport, but not all of them. 

We didn't do much after we got home. Steph went shopping. I worked on holding my recliner down. 

This morning I was up at 730. I had to take Jenni to work. 

When I walked outside it was a bit nippy. I came back in for a long sleeved shirt.

ONce Jenni was at work I headed down to Shelby another pull a part yard to see what they had. 

I paid $2 to get in. I walked around for an hour. I left with nothing. At least it wasn't my $2.

I headed over to another yard. About halfway there I poured myself a cup of coffee from my thermos. And dropped it in my lap.

Did you know that a 4500 pound truck will stop real dang fast when a 280 pound man has a steaming crotch. I think I bailed out before it stopped moving. 

It was a bit too cold to go walking around with a wet crotch so I went home. 

Steph was outside burning trash when I got home. 

I came in and got some dry clothes on then started looking online for the one part That I had not found. The Passport needs a pasengers side rear inside door pull. It is NLA and all the ones I found in the yards was broken.Well except for the one that wasn't till I took a screw out of it and it cracked. 

Once I had satisfied myself that there was not one to be found, we went outside. 

Heath thought Carmel was cold. 

IMG_20161022_120019307.jpg

I pulled the dash apart to work on the AC control while Steph installed the tail light. 

BettyBlue offered emotional support and tools.

IMG_20161022_143646782.jpg

The plastic on the AC controls is super fragile after 16 years and snaps if you look at it hard. The PO had managed to break off the fan control and the AC button. I put in a new fan control Since the tabs were all broken off it got secured with Gorilla Tape. 

The AC button got replaced with a toggle switch. This piece of trim is super easy to replace and is plentiful in every yard I have been to. When I find the right button I will switch it all over. For now they have AC.

IMG_20161022_143736040_HDR.jpg

Then We went under the truck to find out why it smelled like gas when it had a full tank. 

Whoever installed the new fuel pump didn't get the o ring in it right. 

IMG_20161022_141721611.jpg

We called all over and didn't find one that would be here till 630pm.

So we started the Saturn up and drove it up on the dolly so it can go to the scrap yard Monday.

IMG_20161022_143650917.jpg ]

Steph cut off the cat.

Things need to be cleaned up a bit now that I can move better.

IMG_20161022_143038304.jpg

Then we went over to Graham's truck and worked on disconnecting all the lines and wires so the engine can come out. I need my trailer Monday so the truck has to come off. Since the engine is dangling from the hoist it has to come out before the truck can come down. 

Heath helped.

IMG_20161022_155254045.jpg

I got all but one fuel line disconnected. I don't have the right tool to take it off so it will wait till I got to get the O ring. 

Finally, I put the air vent in BettyBlue that Steph pulled out of the parts truck. I didn't even know it was broken. 

IMG_20161022_155232147.jpg

Now I am waiting for the parts to come in so I can run down and get them.