Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

The Adventures Of My New Hat

• Please log in to reply
4318 replies to this topic

#391 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 12:11 PM

When I was a kid (16) a buddy and I went in half and bought a 49 Nash.  We would swap weeks as to who had it, we both had bikes so this was a play thing for us.  Anyway about a month after we got it it was his week and he was downtown going along and an elderly lady pulled out of a cadillac lot with her brand new Caddy.  He creamed the left side and did $$$ of damage to the Caddy.  The old Nash had a slight dent in the bumper and a scratch on the fender.  It was determined she was at fault so her insurance paid.  

#392 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 12:15 PM

When I was a kid (16) a buddy and I went in half and bought a 49 Nash.  

Any pictures of said Nash??  love them old cars..   :thumbs:

#393 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 12:38 PM

I wish I did.  Not long after the crash I ended up having to move to Memphis and sold my half to my buddy and of course over the years we lost contact so I don't know what ever happened to the car.  :wallbanging:   But when you are young things like that don't mean as much as they do when you are older.  I also had an old Harley '45 knucklehead, I wish I still had.  I had to sell it as well   :(  :(  :(  :ah_shoot:

#394 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 10:09 PM

Today was warm so everyone got to go outside in the sun. We put Heath in his playpen, Carmel on a chain, Steph on a Honda,and me under a Suburban.

This Suburban is an enigma. I cannot make it duplicate anything the owner says it is doing so I am changing the transmission fluid and motor oil before I send it back just so I can say I did something to it.

While I was trying to work my phone kept ringing like crazy. Since they were mostly work related I put up with it.

On one call I walked over and sat on the Pony I picked up yesterday. I saw something shiny in the mud and walked over and kicked it. It was a ¼ inch ratchet with a 12MM socket on it that we lost a while back. If I remember correctly we lost it in the rain so I guess it sunk immediately. The recent rains washed it back up. Every day is alike a bad archeology dig around here.

When Steph finished up the Honda I hopped in the BlueOx and headed down to the scrap yard. On the way down I was having a hard time keeping the trailer in one lane behind me. I didn't see anything wrong and chalked it up to the car being too far back on the trailer.

Also on the drive I got a call from Reid, my buddy who is working on my engine hoist. He wanted me to look at something he was doing with it and he also needed one of the clips that hold the front wheel on a tractor so he could make the slots in the axles.

I got down to the scrap yard, got unloaded, got my check, went to the bank, and went to the feed mill for dog food.

I pulled up in front of the mill and Reid's dad was there. So I talked to him for a minute then got dog food and headed home. I called Steph to pull one of the wheel clips off a parts tractor.

I got home, grabbed the clip and hopped into Christine for the short drive to Reid's shop. He had a much better idea of how to attach the tongue than I did. His way will have more support. I told him he was the genius that made the stuff; I was just the idiot that thought it up. He thought it was pretty funny.

After he showed me some other things he was working on I headed home.

Once I got there Carmel went in the house, Heath went in the back seat of the BlueOx, Steph went in Christine, and I got in the drivers seat of the Ox. Then we went to get a car. Heath fell asleep before we got out of the yard. He had been up for almost 7 hours. He really enjoyed being outside.

We took Christine because I still don't have a winch on the trailer and using the little truck for it is much easier than dropping the trailer, using the OX to pull the car up, then hooking the trailer back up. Probably more fuel efficient too.

After we got there the guy told me that it still ran so while I drove it up on the trailer Steph left to go to the store.

On the way home the trailer was pulling perfectly. I looked in the mirror and saw the front passengers side trailer tire wobbling. The wheel bearings are shot. Who knows how many miles have been put on the thing. It was owned by a landscaping company. Tomorrow I will pull it apart and go down the to the bearing distributor in Gastonia and get new ones.

I got home and left Heath asleep in the truck with the window down. I came in and opened my office window so I could hear him. He woke up in about 30 minutes.

Almost as soon as I brought him in a neighbor came up and asked about the car I towed in. He has a sister who needs a car. I told him I would check it out tomorrow and see if it is worth fixing.

BTW: I had a much better written post made up and as I got to the end of it my computer hiccuped and it got lost. GRRRRRRRRR>

• KennyP, tractorgarden, backwoods and 2 others have said thanks

#395 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 07:13 AM

Well, that was still a good read! Glad you found the ratchet! Might be time to pull all the trailer wheel and repack bearings!

#396 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 07:43 AM

What kind of a name for a town is "Gastonia'??     :smilewink:   **The kids in neighboring towns gotta have fun with that!**

It's always fun reading your blog MBWW!  I get lost on what truck is what sometimes & have to look back.. :wallbanging:   

#397 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 09:34 AM

You gotta remember the main players - The BlueOx and Christine. Then the two main tractors the DragonFly and the Hemorrhoid - after that do what I do when someone starts talking about someone I don't know , just insert a random person - or in this case random Chevy or Craftsman

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#398 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 06:44 PM

Long day. Good day.

Bright and early this morning I got a call from a guy wanting to come and buy the dishwasher I had for sale. So even before I had coffee I was out in the yard playing appliance salesman. Money and property were exchanged and I wobbled back in side for a strong cup of joe.

Quickly checked my email and GTT then headed back outside. Carmel came with me. I pulled the Cavalier I got yesterday off the trailer and Carmel and I went for a ride down the road. Sure enough it shifted funny. Hard to describe, but it wasn't right. Pulled back in the driveway and put it up on jacks to pull the fill plug. (For some stupid reason GM elected to put a fill plug on the instead of a dipstick even though it is an automatic). With the plug out it proceeded to puke out nearly 6 quarts of excess ATF and gear oil. It wasn't pretty. A second drive proved what I was afraid of. It was FUBAR. Since they had put gear oil in it a rebuild would have been in order. Also had broken motor mounts, bad cv joints, bad struts, and several parts of the interior fell off during my test drive, so I took it down in the field and abused it for a while. The parking brake hung up and I spun it into a stack of combine tires. Man it was fun.

When I was finished playing, Steph was outside, Heath was in the sunshine in his playpen, and Carmel was on her chain.

Pulled the car back up on the trailer, and Steph and I made a game plan to disassemble it for scrap; then I went back to Frankenstein the Suburban.

Put the trans filter and pan back on and filled it up. Things were perfect. Tinkered around a bit and figured out why the tail lights weren’t working (plug was loose) and tried to diagnose the horn. It is devouring horn relays and I cannot figure out why. I am just going to put a button and fuse on it.

During the horn diagnosis I got a text about an Agri-fab aerator. This person had texted me a week or so back and he didn't like my price. Today he said he would take it. I told him to send me his address. As soon as I saw it I knew who he was.

Several month back I got messages in the middle of the night from a guy who wanted me to buy cars. He wanted me to come at 4am. I had had a few drinks and told him no. I told him we would be there at 10 am.

We showed up. No one was there.

He texted back at 4am the next morning and said he had an emergency. We made an appointment for the next morning. He wasn’t there.

Next morning at 4am the texts started again. He wanted me to come right then. I told him no. He kept insisting. I told him since he was too stupid than to expect people to show up at that hour not to ever contact me again. He then proceeded tell me he was a member of the Outlaws and was going to send them after me. I told him I wasn't impressed. The next day he sent me a message and told me that he had been drunk and apologized.

SO with all that in mind I oiled my gun and put in my best bullets and took the 12 gauge just to be on the safe side and drove down by myself to meet him.

He didn't have much to say but he kept looking at my pistol. I left the heavy artillery in the truck but I was never more than 5 feet away from it. He saw it through the window and his eyes got as big as saucers. I had no problems from him.

I made a stop at the coin wash to blast the mud off the aerator and then headed home.

Steph was sitting in the engine compartment of the Cavalier, Heath was in bed, Carmel was still on her chain.

Since it was getting a bit late, and I was getting sore, I decided against tearing the Suburban apart and I grabbed the reel mower and mowed around the shop.

Yes, you Yankees, I mowed grass today.

We took a break and sat in teh shop watching videos online for a while and then I hung a very important piece of equipment on the wall.

A Hatrack.

2013-03-08_16-39-14_738_zpsf10cd4f2.jpg

We had planned to leave the tires on the Cavalier until tomorrow, but I got a call to get another car tomorrow and so the wheels came off. I took the doughnut spare to my neighbors daughter for her Pontiac since she didn't have one.

Then some friends dropped in to bring Heath a belated birthday present. Heath was kind enough to wake up while they were here.

When they left Heath and I came in to watch Magnum P.I and eat potato chips.

Didn't get to the trailer hubs today. Maybe tomorrow, after I go the scrap yard and go get the other car - maybe.

• KennyP, tractorgarden, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#399 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 08:02 PM

Sounds as if that bearing is living on borrowed time!

A buddy of mine was driving home from work one day and out of nowhere a tire came bouncing along the road. Hit dead center of the car! Over the hood, broke the windshield, and down the roof. Luckily he wasn’t hurt or worse. Nice racing stripe though.

Do yourself a favor, have a look at that hub before "picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel."

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#400 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 08:06 PM

Tomorrow I promise it will be looked at. Right now finances say I have to go do the jobs while they are there. My other trailer is dead. It ain't going no where. I may pry the caps off and pump as much grease as I can into them before I leave tomorrow. Fortunately traffic will be light and I don't have far to go.

#401 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 08:23 PM

Understand all to well about finances, broke down on the side of the road won't help at all. BTDT. It could be the nuts just loosened up. I've even put the bearing rollers back in the cage and greased them up real good just to get by, its just alot easier at home than on the side of the road. Other trailers dead? Worst comes to worse, "borrow" the bearings/hub from the other trailer. How about that junker on the trailer? It's got two bearing/hub assemblies on the back, parts may fit, Good luck, be safe.

#402 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 08:55 PM

Just a comment..... If the trailers are critical to income..... Just saying. I had to bight the finance bullet just to keep getting to work.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#403 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 11:43 AM

Wheel bearing dilemma has solved itself. Today job got canceled. SO I am tearing things apart and fixing them today.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#404 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 01:54 PM

Just a comment..... If the trailers are critical to income..... Just saying. I had to bight the finance bullet just to keep getting to work.

That would be ok if there was a bullet to bite. The last month of rain and broken trucks has drained the old bullet fund.

#405 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 02:01 PM

I understand, been trying to get rid of a couple credit cards for a while now, always seems when I think I am making progress something (House A/C, Plumming, Car(s) all prevent making headway.

• UncleWillie said thank you