• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,643 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 03:01 PM

Fortunately when Diesel got hit by the car it only hurt the car. He had some minor bruising.Vet was amazed. Only cost us $50. Since the driver never stopped or slowed down I hope ti totaled his car. Haven't seen it come back down the road again.

A guy is driving down the road, a dog runs in front of him, THEN the driver sees a beast of a guy (you) standing there ready to rip his arms out of their sockets, and you think he's gonna stop??   :bigrofl:    I wouldn't!  :smilewink:   Confucious once said... "better to have crunched up car than crunched up self"!  :smilewink:

• tractorgarden, HDWildBill and backwoods have said thanks

#377 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 03:08 PM

I ran over a dog once, that darted out in front of me.  I was by myself, there was a group of 5-8 people with the dog.  I stopped, down the road a bit, looked back and did NOT like what I saw.  I kept going.  Bad news any way you sliced that situation.

#378 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,643 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 03:16 PM

Back almost 40 years ago, a BIG sheep dog ran in front of me at almost midnight.  Lifted my little Vega off the ground as I rolled over him.  I was going about 45mph+ as I was approaching a rough railroad crossing.  I stopped up the road a piece, seen my air dam was busted in half, and a parking light swinging.  I figured I was already holding the short stick, so I didn't think it wise to go back & get my stick broken off even shorter.  People often value pets more than other people.

• MFDAC said thank you

#379 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 04:21 PM

People often value pets more than other people.

Ya know.. I love my dogs very much.. BUT.. If i don't have control of them on or near a road it's my fault. I would miss any of my six dogs. BUT it's my fault.. 

• Michiganmobileman, backwoods and oldedeeres have said thanks

#380 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,725 Thanks
  • 4,285 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 04:24 PM

I think in Ohio, the dog owner would be liable for the car.

#381 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,757 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 04:31 PM

A guy is driving down the road, a dog runs in front of him, THEN the driver sees a beast of a guy (you) standing there ready to rip his arms out of their sockets, and you think he's gonna stop??   :bigrofl:    I wouldn't!  :smilewink:   Confucious once said... "better to have crunched up car than crunched up self"!  :smilewink:

I was in the back yard they never saw me.

I ran over a dog once, that darted out in front of me.  I was by myself, there was a group of 5-8 people with the dog.  I stopped, down the road a bit, looked back and did NOT like what I saw.  I kept going.  Bad news any way you sliced that situation.

Yeah but the only one in teh road this time was Steph. She is as threatening as a baby kitten.

When Abbi broke her leg a neighbor  hit her. At some point I think the druggies that were up the road who had a white diesel truck came in the yard and tried to steal something when we weren't home. She began a campaign against white diesels. Anything else came by and she ignored it. A white diesel and she was all over it.

A neighbor came by in his work truck and she just happened to be out in the yard. She was fast enough this time to catch the truck. Broke both bones in her front left leg.

The guy (a big plumbing contractor) stood in my yard and cried because she ran off and we couldn't find her. He said she came to his house every day to play with his dog. Turns out that she ran down to the creek and soaked her self overnight. Another neighbor knocked on the door the next morning and told me that she was down the hill trying to walk and couldn't. We had thought she was dead so I was relieved.

• KennyP, tractorgarden, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#382 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,757 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 06:29 PM

Steph snapped this pic last night.Carmel is loving the attention she is getting.

601238_593741986011_284163657_n.jpg

• KennyP, tractorgarden and oldedeeres have said thanks

#383 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 07:19 PM

Back almost 40 years ago, a BIG sheep dog ran in front of me at almost midnight.  Lifted my little Vega off the ground as I rolled over him.  I was going about 45mph+ as I was approaching a rough railroad crossing.  I stopped up the road a piece, seen my air dam was busted in half, and a parking light swinging.  I figured I was already holding the short stick, so I didn't think it wise to go back & get my stick broken off even shorter.  People often value pets more than other people.

This is crazy! the same thing happened to me! LOL! I had a '71 Vega 40 years ago too. I closed up the bar (customer) one night and headed home. A couple of blocks later a big black shadow darted out in front of me, and I felt both left side tires run it over.It was 2:30 am so no one was around but I stopped anyway. I got out of the car just in time to see this big black lab raise his head, look at me, then the damm mutt got up, shook himself and ran off! I thought well that's cool, but then I noticed all the plastic debris on the road, and looked at the car. Lower valence, grill,left blinker all busted up. Then I was wishin' the dog was dead!-LOL

Later---DAC

#384 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,643 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:24 PM

This is crazy! the same thing happened to me! LOL! I had a '71 Vega 40 years ago too. I closed up the bar (customer) one night and headed home. A couple of blocks later a big black shadow darted out in front of me, and I felt both left side tires run it over.It was 2:30 am so no one was around but I stopped anyway. I got out of the car just in time to see this big black lab raise his head, look at me, then the damm mutt got up, shook himself and ran off! I thought well that's cool, but then I noticed all the plastic debris on the road, and looked at the car. Lower valence, grill,left blinker all busted up. Then I was wishin' the dog was dead!-LOL

Later---DAC

Mine was a millionth edition 73 model, orange with white stripe, and "Millionth Vega" on the door handles.  I only saw the shadow of this massive dog too, but I'd seen the dog many times in the daytime, and he was a "chaser", so I knew what I hit.  Was also my left blinker swinging!

• MFDAC said thank you

#385 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 12:54 AM

Steph snapped this pic last night.Carmel is loving the attention she is getting.

601238_593741986011_284163657_n.jpg

I can't imagine why your wife would get jealous.. lol

#386 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,757 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 07:43 PM

Well I finally have a minute to sit down and type.

At 11pm last night I had a guy call about some cars he wanted to scrap. It was like pulling teeth to get the information I needed out of him. He said he had 2 small cars and a small pickup. I gave him my prices and he went ballistic. At one point I would have sworn he said how much will you give me for the two cars and my wife. Steph was standing here and she thought that is what she heard too. I laughed. He really got mad. Finally after about 20 minutes I hung up. He can bother someone else.

Jumped out of bed at the crack of early, made a pot of coffee, did a lightening fast check of my email and GTT and then filled my thermos and hit the door.

First order of business was getting the BlueOx out of the back yard. I was afraid that she would sink. The ground was frozen so she idled right out of the yard and on firmer ground.

Then I hopped in Christine’s cramped cab with my thermos and took a long ride up to Tryon, NC. About a half mile later Steph called and told me that the keys were in the house. Since the ignition switch is worn out we haven't used the keys in a long time for anything but opening the gas cap. I needed gas so I turned around and went back to get them. Once I filled up I was off again.

There were many vehicles stuck on the side of the highway where they had pulled off for one reason or another and just sank in the mud.

On the drive up there  the lady across the street called and said her daughter had a flat tire and she needed my help. I told her where I was and told her I would help out when I got home. She said ok and I continued on.

Once I got to the house I loaded up the free tractor

2013-03-06_11-34-27_856_zps50bcca9c.jpg

Turns out it is a Troybilt Pony. One seriously weird looking machine. The rear end appears to be locked up. Haven’t had time to look at anything else on it. If nothing else I got a good seat.

On the way home I ran by the tire shop and picked up my little trailer with the rims they had broken down for me. Since no one could find any paperwork I have no idea if I owe him anything or if they got enough good tires to owe me.

I got home and went across the road and the daughters car was there. Another friend of my neighbors had gone down and aired it up. The tires were shot and one had a slow leak. She was going down to get tires put on it later. I told her I would check it again before we left.

Went in the house and grabbed some food then unloaded the Pony. Had to use the DragonFly to pull it off the truck. Then I tried to fix the flat tire on the big trailer. Thought I had it whipped so we tossed the big set of ramps in the back of Christine and we started up to Hickory to get a car. Steph had class tonight so her truck had to go anyway.

We got about ¼ mile away and she called me and told me the tire spit the plug out So I turned left instead of right and went to the tire shop.

While my buddy was fixing the tire I realized that I didn't have my wallet so Steph took her truck and went back home to get it.

Finally got the tire back on the trailer with a patch we we rent sure would hold due to the size of the hole. Rick wouldn't let me pay because they still couldn’t figure out if I owned them or they owed me for the tires from earlier.

We finally got back on the road and made it up to Hickory to get the Honda from my friends shop. They had pulled the entire cross member out of it and took out the trans engine and everything and the car was sitting on engine stands.

We moved it out on a floor jack then put one jack on each side and got the front end up high enough to back the trailer under it then slid the ramps in. We moved one of the jacks up on the trailer under the front end and then hooked Christine up to the Honda and pulled it up.

My friends employee was wondering how we were going to load it. He said it looked too easy.

We then loaded up odds and ends car parts into the Honda and I started home while Steph went to class. Heath slept thru the entire operation.

I had to stop for gas and while I was pumping I saw a guy walking up to me. I knew he was interested in the car. He asked what I wanted for it and I told him. He asked if it ran and I pointed to the big hollow spot in the front of the car. He looked confused and said he was going to build a drag car anyway. I asked why he wanted a 4 door drag car. He said he didn't notice it was a 4 door. I bit my lip.

Finally made my way home. Ate some spaghetti, fed Heath, Petted Carmel, played with Heath.

Long day.

Heath gets a bath shortly and then goes to bed. Then I can fall over in the floor and try to breathe.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, March 06, 2013 - 07:46 PM.

• olcowhand, KennyP, Michiganmobileman and 3 others have said thanks

#387 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 09:11 PM

Sounds like a busy day! That would have taken me at least 2 days!

#388 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 10:17 PM

With that kind of day I wouldn't have remembered half of it, let alown posting all the happings. This is one of my favorate reads!

#389 SearsYellow ONLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 09:52 AM

I bought a brand new 2004 Ford Ranger in 2003. After signing the paper work around 9 pm I headed home in my brand new truck. This was my first vehicle I ever purchased by myself and it was my first brand new vehicle. A mile from home I hit a dog head on. The dogs head hit one of my fog lights knocking it out and jerking the lower bumper cover off. After jerking the bumper off it and spun the dog around 2 times and each time leaving a new dent inside the side of the truck.  After owning my truck for 30 minutes it was in the shop for 3 days. It appeared to be a beagle mix but it did 500 worth of damage. I've never bought a new truck since. I did get a Jeep Liberty 4 x 4 as a rental car though and believe it or not those are pretty descent 4 wheel drives.

#390 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,757 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 11:48 AM

I bought a brand new 2004 Ford Ranger in 2003. After signing the paper work around 9 pm I headed home in my brand new truck. This was my first vehicle I ever purchased by myself and it was my first brand new vehicle. A mile from home I hit a dog head on. The dogs head hit one of my fog lights knocking it out and jerking the lower bumper cover off. After jerking the bumper off it and spun the dog around 2 times and each time leaving a new dent inside the side of the truck.  After owning my truck for 30 minutes it was in the shop for 3 days. It appeared to be a beagle mix but it did 500 worth of damage. I've never bought a new truck since. I did get a Jeep Liberty 4 x 4 as a rental car though and believe it or not those are pretty descent 4 wheel drives.

I have always heard that when you buy a new car you should go ahead and hit it with a hammer and get it over with.

I knew a guy who had a mid 80s LTD that he bought new. 15 minutes later he parked it at a store, walked inside, and looked back at his new car just in time to see a woman back into it and drive off.