Let's do this!
This morning I woke up before my alarm. Since Heath wasn't up yet I laid in bed and read a few articles on my tablet.
When I heard his highness moving about I got up.
We did our usual stuff and then we headed outside.
With the Falcon up on the lift I crawled under it and began to inspect everything. I found lots of grease and mud and grass, but no real reason for it to be eating belts off. So I put the new belt on. I did notice that the pin on the rear pulley had some kind of hard chunky stuff stuck to it. I scrapped off and bent it a little farther off the belt. It is just to keep it on the back pulley so it doesn't need much to hold it there. I will see how it works.
The steering has been super sloppy so I took a look at that. First I had to remove the side cover that holds up the dash.
While I was doing that Garland showed up to chat a bit. He was looking for a Snapper deck so I sent him back to the pile to look. He didn't find anything.
Inside the tractor I found mounds of grass. I had to shovel it all out to find the steering shaft. Once I got to the steering mechanism I found that the two bushings are gone and one of the ball joints on the drag link had eaten through the shaft.
Garland headed home and Heath and I came in to do some looking online. $67 later and I have all the parts headed my way. they will be here Wednesday - maybe.
I decided that while the Falcon was airborne it was a good time to blast it off. So I took the pressure washer from its hiding place in the office and got to work. I think I blasted 3 bales of grass out of it. Not to mention years of grease and dirt.
I also blasted off CherryBerry. Then I decided to blast off the string mower. I stupidly did it beside CherryBerry. So I had to wash it again. I also hosed down the Wheel Horse while I was in the mood.
The seat on the Horse was in sad shape. As a matter of fact it came off in my hands. So I began to hunt for a good seat. I found one on a Snapper. So I pulled it off. When I got back to the Horse I realized that someone had rigged the old seat with some odd pieces of steel and some self tapping bolts. No wonder it was poking me in the butt when I drove it.
Old seat on the right.
Note the seat bracket laying beside where the seat should be.
I gave Reid a call. He had the bush hog mower done and he could make me new seat brackets. So the seat and the old brackets came along for the ride.
At Reid's his dog, Shelly, found a toad. I took it away from her because the last one she caught made her sick. I gave it to Heath. He had a ball chasing it around.
Reid is making some parts to be delivered on Wednesday afternoon so he didn't have time to make my brackets. I left the seat with him.
He has come up with a new way to make an alternator bracket for an 8n that doesn't require using the front two head bolts to hold it on. He needs a tractor that has been converted to 12v to see if it is going to work right. Since the old style uses the head bolts it means there is 1/4 less head bolt holding things on. The new style mounts to a bolt on the front of the engine. He is not sure it will stay tight though. I have a friend who has an 8n so I will see if it is converted to 12v. He can have the mount for free for testing it.
Heath and I headed back home and left Reid to manufacturing.
I forgot to mention that I got an 8hp electric start Briggs from Coldone yesterday. I bought it for the tiller. I don't like pulling ropes. So I started on that.
First I had to get crusty up on some blocks so the tiller was off the ground. With the Wheel Horse it was a breeze.
One of the belts broke while I was trying to get it off the tiller. So I need to get one tomorrow.
I was taking bolts loose when Steph got home and came out to help me. We got the pull start off and then pulled Crusty forward away from where we were working so I could pressure wash the rest of the tiller. It only had 40 years of gunk under the engine.
When that was done I decided it needed a coat of paint. So out came towels, the blower, and the heat gun to get things dried off good.
A half a can of semi gloss Rustoleum black and a promise to do it right in the future and it was looking better.
Then we pulled Crusty back to the work area and up on the blocks with the Horse. That thing is a monster. Once I get the wheels weighted it will be unstoppable.
Steph picked up the tools and put them in the back of CB while I was painting so all that was left was to get my thermos and come in. I looked all over the place for it. You would think that a huge sticker covered Stanley thermos would be easy to spot. It wasn't. I had carried it back to the Snapper when I pulled the seat off.
Heath has been into everything and is more black than white. He and i will shower later. Right now I am eating shrimp alfredo. Yummy.