wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted April 20, 2016 - 07:30 PM

Well, I tried.

Heath and I didn't do much till later this afternoon.

615%2B7ea-JJL._SX355_.jpg

Aroudn 230 we went outside so I could get things ready to mow. 

I rolled up all the hoses and extention cords and picked up all Heath's small toys. 

The Falcon needed sharp blades. So it went up in the air with the Hoyer lift and I pulled the blades off. Out came the cordless grinder and the blades. Two of the blades had bad dings from hitting the wreath stands Steph put by her garden last time I mowed. It took a while to get them sharp and balanced. 

Then I checked the oil. It was just slightly below the low mark so I filled it up. 

I had to work on the steering knob because it was loose. I put a couple of pieces of garden hose around the wheel and put it back on. It seemed sorta tighter. 

Then I installed the spider web catcher on the front,

IMG_20160420_170719097.jpg

Steph got home and helped me move some big stuff then she and Heath went inside.

After the engine got good and warmed up it started to smoke everything it started to go down an hill. I mean smoke bad. So I pulled in the back yard and drained the oil out of it. 

I had to run to Autozone to get an oil filter so I did that. Once I got back I installed it and filled it up to just above the low mark. I seem to have a fuzzy memory of it smoking last time I filled it up all the way.

I mowed the entire front yard and most of the side yard when it started choking down. I thought the blade spindle was locking up, but if I let it sit for a couple of seconds it would go on and run. 

After a while I got a stick in the deck belt and it popped off. So I drove over to CherryBerry and stopped. 

All three blades turned easily, if a bit noisily. So I thought the carb may have ingested something unhealthy. This is what I found. 

IMG_20160420_190130161.jpg

Oops. I guess I should have looked at it before I went to Autozone. It was barfing a little bit of oil out into the filter. It is completely plugged up. I am surprised it ran at all. 

I checked everywhere and couldn't find one here so I stopped. Tomorrow Heath and I will go on the hunt for a filter. 

I drizzled some seafoam into the carb until things smoothed out from the oil ingestion. 

Then I came in. Steph fixed chicken and potatoes for dinner. 

• olcowhand, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 3 others have said thanks

#3797 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted April 21, 2016 - 06:33 PM

It's deja vu all over again.

Steph's alarm went off at 625. I woke up after 3 whole hours of sleep and couldn't get back asleep again. 

12794530_985395248206045_133754034170774

Heath and I did nothing till after his speech therapist. Gunner helped.

After Amy left we headed off to find an air filter for the Falcon. 

Lowes didnt have one but I grabbed a couple other things. Then we went to TSC and found the last filter they had for my tractor. 

On the way home I turned Heath loose at a playground. We were the only ones there.

IMG_20160421_145022453.jpg

He decided to stroll down to the river. 

IMG_20160421_145626406.jpg

After about 45 minutes we headed back home.

I installed the filter and then changed the spider web catchers mount from the rusty vice grip to a piece of aluminum that doesn't stick out 3 miles in front of the tractor. 

IMG_20160421_173025443 (1).jpg

I added a little something extra.

IMG_20160421_173019103.jpg

Then we cam inside to wait for Steph to get home so I could mow. 

She got home and I saddled up and mowed. All was great till about an hour and a half in. The drive belt came off. Not only that the drive belt is smoked. I just put it on. 

I really can't figure out why it is eating the belts. It is installed correctly and all of the pulleys are free. I guess tomorrow I will yank the deck out and see what I can see. Maybe something I grabbing that shouldn't be. 

After putting the belt back on 3 times I managed to get finished. 

My last turn I had to stop to back up. the belt came off. There isn't enough left to drive the tractor.  It had left me stranded in the nice neighbors yard. I called Steph to bring CherryBerry over to pull it back.

She backed up and we hooked up the tow strap. I got on the Falcon and told her to go easy. What she heard was see if you can throw me off the seat. She hit the strap hard enough that It was all I could do to walk in the house when I got off.

Tomorrow will be fun. 

• olcowhand, larrybl, TheFarm2004 and 4 others have said thanks

#3798 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,952 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted April 21, 2016 - 07:51 PM

Remind me to tell you about being towed home on Hulk I by a pi$$ off wife when I threw a belt. Just say I had sparks coming off the brake band. Sounds like you are missing a belt keeper or two, Don't Know?  

• Craig. and shorty have said thanks

#3799 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted April 21, 2016 - 08:22 PM

Remind me to tell you about being towed home on Hulk I by a pi$$ off wife when I threw a belt. Just say I had sparks coming off the brake band. Sounds like you are missing a belt keeper or two, Don't Know?  

I plan to do some research on it tomorrow. If I don't fined anything missing I will have to do some modifications.

#3800 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted April 21, 2016 - 09:03 PM

There is a very easy to get on the wrong side of guide "pin" near the engine pulley on some. There's also a belt guide on the clutch that I've gotten over once.
Not saying it's wrong, just easy to do.
  • Craig. said thank you

#3801 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,952 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted April 21, 2016 - 09:08 PM

The drive belt on RED can not be taken off without removing two guards around the engine pulley, Loosening the bolts on the clutch pulley to move the guides, and removing two guards on the transaxle pulley. That is why I change the belt every two years, almost have to strip the machine to the frame to replace the belt. Deck belts are easy.

• MH81 and Craig. have said thanks

#3802 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 06:45 PM

It rained.

friday1.png

I was in bed at 9 last night. I was a bit tired. I woke up when Steph's alarm went off. 

Heath staggered out of his room about 9 or so.

Since there was a monsoon outside there wasn't much we could do. 

I unboxed my my magnifying light. Now I can watch TV without glasses LOL.

13077066_10154239277334739_5049365184668

At 1 Miss Amy showed up. She left at 130. 

A friend called and told me he had a 97 Volvo 960 he wanted to scrap. In the pictures it looked pretty good. He said it wasn't, He was being generous.

Steph got home and we all loaded up in CherryBerry and headed to his house. $200 later and I was perched in the drivers seat. 

My friend is short(er than me) so he had the seat raised up as high as it would go. The motors were messed up and it wouldn't go back down. I rode to Waffle House with my head stuck up against the sun roof. No way to wear my hat.

By the time we were finished eating my neck had loosened up enough to hold my head up straight. 

When we left I opened the sun roof and stuck my head out. It was raining so my hat really came in handy. 

We pulled out onto the main road and it began to smoke like a freight train. It was bad enough that I couldn't see Steph behind me. After it got up to speed it stopped. When I got on our road I floored it. I don't think a tire and coal fire would make that much smoke. 

I backed it in next to the parts Suburban and shut it down. It has some good parts so I will list it on CL and part it out. 

Steph and Heath are out running around in the mud. My back is really unhappy. The combination of the weird sitting position and Steph trying to dislocate my cranium last night has me all messed up. 

• wvbuzzmaster, KennyP, jpackard56 and 2 others have said thanks

#3803 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted April 23, 2016 - 06:16 PM

Fun day!

This morning we all slept in. We were all tired. 

fun-coffee-facts-288x266.png

Then we got saddled up and headed into town.

We were headed for the Cherry Blossom Festival, but we came across a car show on the way down.

There were lots of nice cars there, but Heath only cared about the ones that had the hoods open. He got lots of comments. I was proud of the little guy for not touching anyone's car. 

There was a brand new Corvette there and I asked the guy if I could sit in it. I got in alright, and it was even sort of comfortable, but I couldn't see anything. I was looking directly at the top of the windshield frame. 

After an hour or so we headed on into town. 

We parked and then walked along the rail road tracks to the center of town. heath loved it. 

As soon as we got there a little girl gave Heath a weird peace symbol thing that squeaked.  After two hours of walking around I think I know why she did it. Her dad didn't want it going home with her. LOL.

There were some inflatable bounce house things set up. Heath got an unlimited a play time for $10. Not bad considering.  He had a ball. There were 4 different sets so finally Steph stood on one end and I stood on the other. We got tired of walking back and forth.

There was a train ride that Heath and I went on. 

I bought a hand made ink pen. Heath got tons of free stuff. I was wishing we had brought one of my shopping carts by the time we were done. 

Lots of pics (including one upside down) here. 

https://imgur.com/a/x6WHX/edit

We  were all hungry when we left so we headed over to a restaurant we have been wanting to try. 

After we were all stuffed we came home. 

The rear latch fell out of CherryBerry again. So we pulled the tailgate apart again and fixed it. heath was a big help.

(as always this video will post at some unspecified time on the future - site says 4 hours yeash!)

Once we got that fixed we turned our attention to the Power King. It is going to a new home tomorrow and needed to be loaded on the trailer. It refused to start.

After some tinkering I pulled the fuel line off. Bad gas. So that got drained then a copious amount of carb cleaner was used and fresh gas added. She fired right up and idled beautifully. I added a dose of SeaFoam to clean it out good. It sat and Idled while we hooked the trailer up and picked up tools. 

Once it was loaded up Steph carted all the stuff from today inside the house. 

My hips and ankles are feeling the walking we did. It was fun though. 

• olcowhand, DougT, MH81 and 6 others have said thanks

#3804 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted April 24, 2016 - 07:29 PM

I am tired, and evidently the internet is too. It is barely working here. I will post todays stuff tomorrow sometime. 

#3805 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted April 24, 2016 - 08:02 PM

I am thinking you go first, you are a better story teller than I am. All I am going to say now is that We had a blast. Heath is cute as a speckled pup too.

#3806 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 10:27 AM

Ok so now the internet is working right again.

Yesterday we had a mission. To get to the Transportation Museum in Spencer.

IMG_20160424_133756987.jpg

(Actually coffee pic from inside a train car)

We were meeting some shifty character code named Coldone. 

ON the drive up nothing much happened. then we got in front of the museum and couldn't figure out how to get on the property. As we drove past we could see this shifty characters truck in the parking lot. 

Once we found our way inside we proceeded to the rendezvous. We were trading tractors. His Wheel Horse for my PK.

We proceeded to attempt to trade tractors. Of course the Plastic King refused to start. The Wheel Horse got put into use pulling it on his trailer. 

Once the tractors were restrained, Heath wasn't so sure about the PK going to a new home and tried to restrain Britt.

IMG_20160424_120858464_HDR.jpg

Also in attendance were Britts wife (whose name I forget) and his sons Frick and Frack. Steph came along too.

We made our way to the ticket stand and got rid of some extra money then headed inside. The three boys had a blast.

Britt learned about Heaths cloaking device. The kid just disappeared twice. He can be standing right next to you then disappear.

It wasn't long till the three of them were into everything.

IMG_20160424_131407420.jpg IMG_20160424_131222202.jpg

We rode the train. Heath was tired. So was one of Britts boys (Frack I think). Heath managed to stay awake, Frack didn't. 

IMG_20160424_142139900.jpg

IMG_20160424_144141462.jpg

IMG_20160424_144808198.jpg

After the train ride we headed out. I think the PK was a bit sad to be riding home having to stare at a Furd tailgate.

IMG_20160424_151232196.jpg

Brtt and his crew headed thier way. We headed to Cracker Barrel.

IMG_20160424_162830074.jpg

Heath found a new way to play with the peg game.

IMG_20160424_154400755_HDR.jpg

We had to stop for rabbit and dog food on the way home. I grabbed a belt for the Falcon while we were at TSC

Finally home, we unloaded the feed and the Horse. then we cleared off the tractor stand and put the Falcon up on it. Initially I tried to pull it up with the Horse. It didn't have enough weight in the rear, but it did dig an impressive hole in the yard. CherryBerry had to do the final pulling.

Then we fixed the nail in Christine's tire. When Steph got home Friday everything was wet from the rain. Heath ran out to greet her and quickly found the back tire blowing bubbles. It is on his eye level so it was an easy spot for him. One tire plug and we were done. 

I staggered into my chair exhausted. I think I walked about 400 miles in the past two days. Heath had a glass of juice and was ready to go again. Steph went to bake bread.

• MH81, KennyP and jpackard56 have said thanks

#3807 jimt1971 OFFLINE  

jimt1971

• Member No: 6295
  • 23 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 01:02 PM

Nice looking D Series tractor.

#3808 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 07:25 PM

Let's do this!

This morning I woke up before my alarm. Since Heath wasn't up yet I laid in bed and read a few articles on my tablet. 

When I heard his highness moving about I got up. 

Motivated-Be-Awesome-Today-But-First-Cof

We did our usual stuff and then we headed outside. 

With the Falcon up on the lift I crawled under it and began to inspect everything. I found lots of grease and mud and grass, but no real reason for it to be eating belts off. So I put the new belt on. I did notice that the pin on the rear pulley had some kind of hard chunky stuff stuck to it. I scrapped off and bent it a little farther off the belt. It is just to keep it on the back pulley so it doesn't need much to hold it there. I will see how it works. 

IMG_20160425_143316526_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160425_143346334.jpg

IMG_20160425_143407557.jpg

The steering has been super sloppy so I took a look at that. First I had to remove the side cover that holds up the dash. 

While I was doing that Garland showed up to chat a bit. He was looking for a Snapper deck so I sent him back to the pile to look. He didn't find anything. 

Inside the tractor I found mounds of grass. I had to shovel it all out to find the steering shaft. Once I got to the steering mechanism I found that the two bushings are gone and one of the ball joints on the drag link had eaten through the shaft. 

Garland headed home and Heath and I came in to do some looking online. $67 later and I have all the parts headed my way. they will be here Wednesday - maybe. 

I decided that while the Falcon was airborne it was a good time to blast it off. So I took the pressure washer from its hiding place in the office and got to work. I think I blasted 3 bales of grass out of it. Not to mention years of grease and dirt. 

I also blasted off CherryBerry. Then I decided to blast off the string mower. I stupidly did it beside CherryBerry. So I had to wash it again. I also hosed down the Wheel Horse while I was in the mood. 

The seat on the Horse was in sad shape. As a matter of fact it came off in my hands. So I began to hunt for a good seat. I found one on a Snapper. So I pulled it off. When I got back to the Horse I realized that someone had rigged the old seat with some odd pieces of steel and some self tapping bolts. No wonder it was poking me in the butt when I drove it. 

Old seat on the right.

IMG_20160425_161439328.jpg

Note the seat bracket laying beside where the seat should be.

IMG_20160425_161511258.jpg

I gave Reid a call. He had the bush hog mower done and he could make me new seat brackets. So the seat and the old brackets came along for the ride. 

At Reid's his dog, Shelly, found a toad. I took it away from her because the last one she caught made her sick. I gave it to Heath. He had a ball chasing it around. 

Reid is making some parts to be delivered on Wednesday afternoon so he didn't have time to make my brackets. I left the seat with him. 

He has come up with a new way to make an alternator bracket for an 8n that doesn't require using the front two head bolts to hold it on. He needs a tractor that has been converted to 12v to see if it is going to work right. Since the old style uses the head bolts it means there is 1/4 less head bolt holding things on. The new style mounts to a bolt on the front of the engine. He is not sure it will stay tight though. I have a friend who has an 8n so I will see if it is converted to 12v. He can have the mount for free for testing it. 

Heath and I headed back home and left Reid to manufacturing. 

I forgot to mention that I got an 8hp electric start Briggs from Coldone yesterday. I bought it for the tiller. I don't like pulling ropes. So I started on that. 

First I had to get crusty up on some blocks so the tiller was off the ground. With the Wheel Horse it was a breeze. 

One of the belts broke while I was trying to get it off the tiller. So I need to get one tomorrow. 

I was taking bolts loose when Steph got home and came out to help me. We got the pull start off and then pulled Crusty forward away from where we were working so I could pressure wash the rest of the tiller. It only had 40 years of gunk under the engine. 

When that was done I decided it needed a coat of paint. So out came towels, the blower, and the heat gun to get things dried off good. 

A half a can of semi gloss Rustoleum black and a promise to do it right in the future and it was looking better. 

Before

IMG_20160425_175101115.jpg

After

IMG_20160425_185353267.jpg

Then we pulled Crusty back to the work area and up on the blocks with the Horse. That thing is a monster. Once I get the wheels weighted it will be unstoppable. 

Steph picked up the tools and put them in the back of CB while I was painting so all that was left was to get my thermos and come in. I looked all over the place for it. You would think that a huge sticker covered Stanley thermos would be easy to spot. It wasn't. I had carried it back to the Snapper when I pulled the seat off. 

Heath has been into everything and is more black than white. He and i will shower later. Right now I am eating shrimp alfredo. Yummy.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160425_143412941 (1).jpg

• MH81, KennyP, jpackard56 and 2 others have said thanks

#3809 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,952 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 08:22 PM

I've never seen a Horizontal transaxle pulley hooked to a vertical shaft like that. The belt looks like it would be pulled off the bottom to the left on the transaxle. Another Idler pulley may fix that. Gives me an idea for putting the 3 speed in RED when his 6 speed finally fails..

• MH81 said thank you

#3810 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 08:40 PM

Yeah it is kind of an odd duck. If this belt doesn't stay put I am going to build an arm with an idler wheel on it to hold the belt in place. 

• larrybl and backwoods have said thanks