#3781 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 08:16 PM

Tell Annie , THANK YOU.  Loved the pics. 

The wife wants the 59 Ford retractable hardtop.

I want the 61 Chevy convertible.      Rick        

Ditto!

I liked seeing the same car I have in the barn!!

70TorinoGT.jpg

• Craig., UncleWillie and suewt3 have said thanks

#3782 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 02:06 AM

I like my color a lot better!

WillinConvertable.JPG

• TheFarm2004, Craig. and jpackard56 have said thanks

#3783 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 05:49 AM

IMG_2007.JPG

• Craig. and backwoods have said thanks

#3784 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 06:33 AM

attachicon.gifWillinConvertable.JPG

That is very likely my favorite color, and on a convertible to boot !

Nice !

• Craig. and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#3785 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 12:12 PM

attachicon.gifWillinConvertable.JPG

Up there in snowland it gets driven, what, two weeks a year?

• Craig., KennyP and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#3786 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 04:25 PM

Up there in snowland it gets driven, what, two weeks a year?

We get a couple 3 nice days throughout the summer..   :wave:

• Craig., backwoods and UncleWillie have said thanks

#3787 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 06:46 PM

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. 

waiting-for-the-first-cup-of-coffee.jpg

After a substantial amount of time engaged in a Nerf war indoors, Heath and I ventured outside. I didn't really have a plan, but I needed to be outdoors.

First I decided to attack the Gravley deck. So I sanded a bit on the parts I have put JB Weld on. Some it was pretty thick and I didn't feel like sanding for hours, so I got the grinder. Ina few seconds the lumps were gone. 

I had one of the pins for the deck on my desk. The other three were in the wind somewhere. I searched for them and didn't find them.

Then I got to looking for the spring and washer that went on the belt adjuster. I couldn't find them anywhere. It needed a longer spring anyway, so I looked around for my box of valve springs. I didn't fine them ( but oddly enough as I typed that I remembered exactly where they are. In the green cabinet. Second door. Blue box on the right. OH well.) I did find the three deck pins though.

cdLM4T1l.jpg

I called my buddy, Tim, to see if he had one. He didn't. So Heath and I loaded up and Headed to Ace. We got a spring, a spacer, three washers, and three pieces of caramel candy. $5 later and we left. 

We went next door to Tony's tire shop to drop off a Jeff Gordon collectible car that I had found after it disappeared. ( I am starting to think I may live in a black hole.)

Back at the house I put the spring on the adjuster and then painted everything black. Not perfect but it looks better than the crappy red the guy dumped on it. 

While that was drying I looked around for something else to do. I saw the rest of the Gravley. It needed a tire fixed. How hard could that be right?

I actually knew where the inner tube was! I wrestled with it a while and found there was a tube already in it. I pulled it out and aired it up. It had a nice hole in it. After some tugging and pushing I got it the tube in without taking the wheel off the mower. Then I aired it up. I heard a very unhappy pop. Inner tube split open. Dangit. I sent Steph a text to grab on on her way home. Then I decided to pull the wheel off to make it a bit easier on my back. (Note to self - all the parts are in the innertube box in the back of CherryBerry!)

My points eliminator for the tiller came in so I decided to put it on.

First I had to find the can of parts I took off the tiller. After texting Steph multiple times and looking in every coffee can I could fine, and there were a lot of them, I gave up. 

I grabbed my can of PB Blaster and hosed down all the parts on the Dodge Dakota that we will have to take off to fix the brakes. That took about 3/4 of the can.

Then I got the big magnet and searched for the screws that Heath lost for the string mower. Miracle of all miracles I found them.  Then I put them in

Jared messaged me about a problem with his mother. I think he is regretting his choice to go back to AZ. The shiny Firebird is coming at a high price. 

I walked in the shop and just happened to look up on the shelf. There on the top shelf, laughing at me, was a baby formula can with the parts of the downdraft carb for the tiller sticking out if it. Steph and I both thought it was a coffee can. 

So I attacked the tiller. I put the points cover back on it and grabbed the flywheel. The key was missing. I trip to the tractor graveyard and I pulled one off a derelict snapper.

Steph got home about then. 

With her helping me we got the tiller put back together, but it still has no spark. I am thinking the coil is bad too. It only lasted 43 years. Piece of junk.

I gave the deck a couple more shots to get the places the orange was showing through.

R6CCmZCl.jpg

Heath installed an extra belt.

Can you tell which ones Reid made?

NKAk0Odl.jpg

At that I was done. My back was in knots. My hands were hurting. My pride was in hiding - or lost - perhaps I will find it again. I stopped for the day. The way the day was going I was a bit afraid the house would not be where I left it. 

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#3788 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 07:10 PM

Sounds like you had one of those days were nothing went as planned an every thing that could go astray did.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
  • Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#3789 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 06:07 PM

Almost Friday..

cisforcoffee_zpsf509377d.jpg

So we got off to a normal Thursday. Heath had his lesson at 1230. When the lesson was over we all walked outside and there was an ambulance in front of my house. I walked over to see what was up. They have sat out there on occasion trying to figure out what house to go to. When I walked up to the cab I gave the poor girl inside a heart attack. She told me they had been told to set up a post - whatever that meant. I told her she could sit in my driveway if she wanted to.

When I walked back to the yard Heath's teacher, Amy, was standing behind her car. Since her car had been moved I was a bit curious. Heath was on the front porch so I knew she wasn't looking for him. She had backed into my little trailer and poked a hole in her back bumper. She just had the car fixed from running over a mattress on the interstate. 

Heath and I came back in for a bit. I introduced him to Animaniacs. He loves it. 

After a couple of cartoons we went out. 

I thought a good cigar would be nice so I grabbed my zippo. It didn't light. I looked at the wick and it was all mangled. So I decided to adjust it. When I took the screw out of the bottom of it the spring sent it flying across the yard. Dangit. Since I use the lighter for so many things I decided I needed a new one. So we ran to Walmart and $9 later I had one.

I wanted to get the Gravley finished up. First I tried the inner tube Steph got. It was waaaaay too big. After having no luck finding an innertube for a 13x6.5 - tire I started looking for a good tire. Heath and I wandered down to the little barn. After fighting through the blackberry bushes I found some tires. Not only the right tire - it was on the right rim. I have no idea where I got them, but this is why I don't throw things away. 

IMG_20160414_153902295.jpg

IMG_20160414_154210252.jpg

I got the tire on and then got the belt in place. That is when I noticed the tension spring was broken. I told heath to get in his car seat and I closed the tailgate. The lock fell out. Rats. I unbuckled Heath then pulled the tailgate apart. I had to wrestle for a good while to get the thing open. The little clip that holds the lock in fell off. After a little finagling I got it fixed. Then we headed off. 

We went to Ace.  One of the employees tole me that there is only one other guy who buys springs. LOL. 

With the spring on I then grabbed the box I put the parts in yesterday. It was empty. Heath had found it.  I found everything but the axle nut. Odd that the biggest thing would be the thing missing. I spent a long time searching in the grass. No luck. So I began to search the magic box. I got tired of walking back and forth so I took the nut off the other side. 

As I searched Steph came home. I gave her the nut and told her to go see if it was the same thread as the trailer hitch on CherryBerry. It was. She began to look for a hitch ball and I kept digging. As we were giving up and I was getting ready to go back to Ace she saw a ball under a shelf. It was the right size so I put it on. I knew it wasn't the right castle nut. but I wanted to test every thing out. 

With it sitting on its wheels, we went and grabbed the deck. I had to do some fine tuning on teh deck drive belt, but we got it. 

Then we put a battery in it and tried to start it. Nothing. Out came the jumper cables and it was soon turning over. It wouldn't start. 

There was an electric fuel pump sticking off the side of the mower. A quick look revealed it was not hooked up. Out came the electrical box. With the meter I found a loose wire that had power when the switch was on. So I hooked it up to that. It still wouldn't start. I wanted to verify that the pump was pumping. I took a clamp off  and pulled the hose. The entire nipple came off in my hand. 

I made an attempt at repairing it with silicone. I don't know if that will work or not. It will have to sit till tomorrow to set up before I can tell if it worked.

It looks pretty good though.

IMG_20160414_175719683_HDR.jpg

Tomorrow is supposed to be beautiful so we will play with it again then.

I grabbed my little folding camp stool and had a rest. Gunner joined me.

IMG_20160414_175121503_HDR.jpg

After a rest I looked at the package that bald santa (my mailman) brought me. 

IMG_20160414_175337172_HDR.jpg

I opened it and found sale papers.

IMG_20160414_175359303.jpg

Then I found the headlight buckets and parts from LarryBL.

IMG_20160414_175446322.jpg

They went in the KFC tractor shed.

Since it is that time of year.....

IMG_20160414_175937893.jpg

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#3790 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 08:30 PM

Good day.
A pool up here would put you in the hospital with hypothermia
What happened to that jack handle?
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#3791 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 08:41 PM

Good day.
A pool up here would put you in the hospital with hypothermia
What happened to that jack handle?

I am trying to remember what bent that. I want to say that one of the bull dozers we hauled got it. I am fairly certain that we had something held up with the hi-lift and when the dozer started to move the jack fell and something heavy landed on the jack handle. It may not have been a dozer but it was something along those lines and the hi-lift was involved. 

• MH81 and Craig. have said thanks

#3792 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 08:44 PM

Glad the head lights made it in one piece. If you see anything in the sales papers...... Oh well. :smilewink:

• MH81, Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#3793 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 07:05 PM

Great day. 

Heath and I slept in a bit. Well he did. I went to sleep at about 4am.

968_min.jpg

Once we were up we watched Animaniacs a while. Then his speech therapist came. She managed to negotiate the yard without running into the trailer today. She said she is going to get a bumper sticker to cover the hole.

After she left Heath wanted a PB&J so I made him one and gave him time to eat it. 

Then we went out. 

The more I tinkered with the Gravley the more frustrated I got. The PO had done some creative wiring and I had to figure it all out. Since he had painted all the wiring red it was even more frustrating. I finally got my knife and scraped the paint off them so I could tell what went where. 

After tracing the wiring and messing with it for a couple of hours Steph got home. She changed clothes and came out to help. 

I finally figured out that the ignition switch was messed up. The wiring to the switch was messed up and the starter solenoid had an internal short. It was feeding 12v to the starter at all times. 

After installing a push button to start it, scavanging a solenoid off a derelict, and redoing some wiring I got her running. It only ran on a bottle though. Steph turned on the air compressor and I attacked the carb. I blew a blob of gunk out of the carb and then things started working. 

I started a test mow and as soon as I engaged the blades it died. SO I pushed it back to CherryBerry and hooked it up to chagrge the battery. After about 20 minutes I tried again. Success!

IMG_20160415_185054440.jpg

As always the video will be processed some time between 5 minutes from now and next week.

Heath was determined to be down in the field while I mowed. I was contemplating locking him in the dog pen, then he found a pile of weeds about 100 yards away that needed exploring. Since Steph had to work the camera because I wasn't born with 4 hands she couldn't keep him away.

This thing is a beast. It mowed through tall grass like it was nothing. If I didn't have to bend over to use it I might contemplate keeping it. It was made for elves. 

Steph's Cutco cleaver came in. She was wondering how sharp it was. I shaved some junk mail into confetti with ease with it. 

My back said no more so it was time to come in. 

Tomorrow she is going to put the cleaver to good use and slaughter some rabbits. Poor little bunnies have no idea that the box in the mail was for them. 

12993381_10206257135289501_4440026024452

• Craig., KennyP, CRFarnsworth and 1 other said thanks

#3794 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 07:46 PM

Annnnnd it's Monday.

For whatever reason my phone shut itself off after Steph's alarm went off. (Yes I set an alarm for her on my phone to make sure she gets up. If I don't she will push snooze 100000000 times then run out the door like her pants are on fire.) I woke up and turned it on and had a bunch of calls and text messages.

clover-coffee-maker-5.jpg

Heath got a bowl of cereal and I started returning calls. 

One of the calls was from Buddy. He has a problem with his tail lights and couldn't get inspected. I told him to let me know when he got home and I would come down. 

Oddly enough no one else answered my calls or texts. 

Buddy got home about 1:00. I headed down. I thought it would be a quick job and it would be done. 

After harassing his daughters and wife and letting the MinPin chase Heath around the house a bit we went outside.  

My initial diagnosis was that the circuit boards in the tail lights had gone bad. So we three guys ran down to AutoZone and got some. I swug by Arby's on the way back and got Heath a sandwich and a shake. I realized he had not eaten since breakfast. 

Back at his house I put the boards on and We tried everything out. 

On the drivers side  things were not working right. I could get the turns, stop, and parking lights working, but the stop lights wouldn't. Then I would get the stop lights working and the turn wouldn't. ]

I crawled under it and cut out all of the previous owners trailer wiring. He had 4 different plugs wired in there. It has been that way at least since Buddy bought the truck in 2000 so they did something right. 

I probed and checked voltage and wiring. Finally after about 3 hours I got the drivers side working right. And the passengers side quit. 

I packed up my tools and told him to bring it to my house tomorrow. I will pull the rear harness off the parts truck and put it on there. Hopefully that fixes it. 

Then I looked at his ancient Snapper RER. He said he was mowing and the tire came off. What I found was that the wheel on the right side has never had grease in it. The bearings seized up after slicing through the cotter pin. Then the tire was turning and the wheel wasn't and things came apart. 

I took both his front tires off,(the left tire is completely bald)  cleaned up the spindle on the right side. Both wheels got tossed in the truck and I brought them home. I will find him parts tomorrow after we fix his truck.

Heath is nasty. He has been into everything in Buddy's yard. I think he was getting bored because he kept wanting to go across the street where they had a trampoline. He nearly got his rear end warmed up, but he decided it was not wise to go out in the road. 

• olcowhand, TheFarm2004, MH81 and 4 others have said thanks

#3795 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 05:03 PM

I fizzid it.

This morning I clanked and groaned into life about 9am. I got to bed at 330 so it wasn't too bad.

bb02512b7da198f9b4417b561b9322da.jpg

Heath and I had a nerf war and waited for Buddy to call. 

At 10 I got a text that he would be up here after a while. I told him to call be before he came. 

At 1130 Heath and I went outside. Still no Buddy. I cleaned up the back of CherryBerry from where I just tossed my tools in it last night. 

Heath jumped on his trampoline. 

Once things were clean I went over to the Snapper row and hunted up a good tire and some bearings for Buddy's mower. I got his tire to hold air and put the sealed bearing out of another tire on it. Then I got another good tire aired up. A brief search and I found the wheel washers he was missing.  

I went ahead and pulled the wiring harness off the parts Burb. It took all of 5 minutes. 

Heath and I came in and had some juice and sat a bit. 

I called Buddy at 115 and he said he was leaving his house, he lives 20 minutes away. 

My friend Ben came by to chat a bit. He told me what parts he wanted off the parts Burb. We talked for about 30 minutes then he went on. 

Heath wanted a PB&J so we came in and got him one. At 300 Buddy showed up. I chewed him out.

Even with the new wiring harness we had a problem. No brake light on the drivers side. It made no sense at all. I had continuity. When the ground was disconnected the drivers light barely lit up. I sat and scratched my head a bit. Finally I ran a wire from the passengers side to the drivers side. Problem fixed. Why I have no idea. I am not arguing though.

Once that was put all back together he and I sat and talked a while. Heath went to his dirt pile to play.

Steph got home and Buddy tried to leave. His battery was dead, he left his headlights on. Steph moved CB over and we jumped him off. I sent him down to the tire shop to see if Tony had a tire for the back of his truck. He has a posi-trac rear and has one huge and one tiny tire on the rear. I told him it would be a couple of hundred to fix if it snapped the rear-end. 

He got off and Steph and I came in. 

I am tired. Lots of walking. Heath is filthy, but he is supposed to be. 

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks