jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 07:24 AM

Understand the rain.  Just as we were "beginning" to dry out, more rain, and now snow.  The ground is mush.

Yep, here too. 65F Sunday with winds like crazy, spent Monday chainsawing trees off west fence to keep cows in, not much movement Tuesday cause I was too stiff, Wednesday torrential rain storms with new baby goats arrived in one (ya that's fun) and now we have snow on the ground covering a glaze of ice...In Willie fashion I'm going for coffee...

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3602 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 12:47 PM

I'll probably get a warning point for this, but..... at least "up here it's a dry cold" lol. You folks have my sympathies. Rain and wet snow are not fun.
  • Craig. and jpackard56 have said thanks

#3603 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,772 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 01:11 PM

I'll probably get a warning point for this, but..... at least "up here it's a dry cold" lol. You folks have my sympathies. Rain and wet snow are not fun.

Just wait till it starts to thaw (in what August?) you will have plenty of mud.

• Craig., KennyP, motobreeder and 2 others have said thanks

#3604 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,772 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 07:58 PM

Got a couple things done.

Heath and I did little of nothing till after his Speech Therapy

carwash.PNG

The guy whose name I can never remember came by. He needed a starter for a Briggs. He had his old one so we went an harvested one. I hooked mine to the jump box and it spun. Then I hooked his up. It spun too. I told him he may have another problem. He took the starter any way.

After they left I had a wrestling match with the tent building annex. (sorry no pics - no phone still) One of the legs was trying to fold up so I had to attach it to another leg with a ratchet strap. I got muddy.

Then I pulled the tins off the JD's engine. I found some blockage in the cooling fins and some in the oil cooler. I am not sure if that was enough to make it overheat or not. I guess I will find out. 

Then we got in CherryBerry and left to wash the John Deere I told Heath we were going to the Chug Wash,  he got all excited.

I had no power steering. It was a fight to the carwash and back. 

After unloading the Deere in the yard, I loaded the Bush Hog trail mower on the trailer. I also added PS fluid. Then I left to Reid's house. 

I had power steering on the way there. 

With the mower unloaded so he can modify it, I took a look at the sander he got from me. He has already modified it and has it working perfectly. He also showed me his new steel bender.  He makes a lot of brackets, pre bent oil lines, and other stuff that is sold on http://www.just8ns.com/. 

When I left i nearly dislocated my shoulder when the PS went out. May have to put a pump on it tomorrow. 

I got home and checked me mail. Still no part for my phone. 

Steph has to go back to court tomorrow. They are hearing closing arguments and deliberating the case then. 

Edited by UncleWillie, February 25, 2016 - 08:03 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 1 other said thanks

#3605 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 11:58 PM

Is it low on fluid again?
  • Craig. said thank you

#3606 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,772 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted February 26, 2016 - 12:13 AM

Is it low on fluid again?

No it isn't pumping for some reason
  • MH81 and Craig. have said thanks

#3607 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,772 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted February 26, 2016 - 08:45 PM

Two steps forward, one step back, three to the left, bow to your partner, and fall in a hole.

Well today started like most others.

small_engine_repairman_extraordinaire_ri

Then after Miss Amy left Heath and I headed outside. 

While he began his tractor inspection tour, I got to work on the pressure washer.  First I flipped it over and pulled the bump off. No reason to have to run water into my work area if the engine doesn't run. I pulled the spark plug, cleaned it, poured Seafoam in the carb, and gave the cord a yank. It tried to start. After a few more pulls it tried to run, but fuel was coming from some unseen orifice around the muffler. Ok don't want to get into that today. 

I looked around for another small engine. With none up the hill that were usable, Heath and I hopped on the Falcon and rode down the hill.  I found three push mowers down there. One I knew ran 5 years back. Two I have no idea where they came from. I dragged the closest two behind the falcon and looked for some kind of strap or rope or chain. Nothing in sight. SO we hopped back on the Falcon. Battery was dead.,

We walked back up the hill and I got a strap, the jump box, and a bungee cord. 

Back down in the field I bungeed the jump box to the hood of the Falcon and hooked the nearest 2 mowers to the strap on the rear of the tractor. A short drive later and I had the third one lassoed and came back up the hill. 

I swapped the pressure washer on the table for a tiny push mower that I don't even remember ever picking up. It may have evolved there. 

Went thru the obvious stuff : no gas in it - always a good thing, spark plug cleaned, yanked the top off the engine and cleaned up the  coil and mangeto, poured seafoam in the carb, checked for any items that might be under the deck, and pulled the rope. It started first try. Nice. 

I flipped it over to pull the blade off and soon found I couldn't get it off with a ratchet. I started up the compressor and got the impact. As I got back to the mower the UPS guy showed up. 

We went around and got the package and came in. 

I tried hooking up the digitizer and it didn't work. I took one of the broken digitizers that had a broken screen and hooked it up. It lit up like it should. I put the new digitizer on a phone that just had a cracked screen. It didn't work. So I put in a return claim with the seller so I have to wait.

By the time I was finished playing with teeny tiny screws in the phone it was getting dark and cold. 

My brother and I chatted a while. Steph got home - mistrial, hung jury. 

Tomorrow we have lots of stuff to do outside. 

No pics, no phone. 

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#3608 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,772 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 08:30 PM

Beautiful day today.

I woke everyone up with a video of V8 engines. Heath loved it. Steph tolerated it. 

9a50f0143199bbcc5db793401d6f4e66.jpg

We pretty much went straight out side after breakfast. There was a lot to get done. Steph got started cleaning up the yard and Heath and I got to working on push mowers. 

Out of 4 only the one I got started yesterday would run. The other three were spraying fuel and oil out of various places they shouldn't. 

Heath was a big help!

When I got ready to put the small Techumseh off the push mower on the pressure washer I found a problem The pressure washer engine has an unusually short shaft - barely a inch and a half. So that wouldn't work. 

I adjusted the valves on the OHV Briggs that came on the washer and tinkered with it and it wanted to run sooooo bad. I can't get fuel. I filled the carb with Seafoam and then let it sit. 

We fired up the Falcon and got to moving the tractors that have sprouted up in the yard. For the first time since I have owned it Falcon it gave me cause to cuss it. It kept throwing the drive belt. Every time I stopped I had to crawl under it and put the belt back on. On the plus side Steph and I can put the belt back on in under 30 seconds now. 

We finally got all the tractors, trailers, and tow dollys out of the yard and to where they belonged. The Falcon got parked with a promise to buy it a new belt Monday

I went back to the pressure washer and pulled out the spark plug and pulled the rope to expel the Seafoam from the cylinder.I pulled the rope and it still wants to run but can't get fuel. I pulled the bowl off the carb and got a bunch of gunk out of it. It still won't run for more than a few seconds, but it runs so good for those seconds. 

Tomorrow I will pull the carb off and see what is in it. I nearly dislocated my shoulder pulling ropes today so I figured it was time to stop. 

I was exhausted so I came in and tried to look up the plot map for our property. Steph asked the gal at the court house how to do it and she told her where to go. Once we got it figured out she went out to see if she could find the markers, she couldn't. 

After we ate she left to get some more seafoam at Walmart. I am going to fill the carb up and let it sit over night.

• olcowhand, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 2 others have said thanks

#3609 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 08:44 PM

Good job with Heath! Logan pulled both heads off the 18 Briggs the other day, and was asking if I had any more things to take apart tonight. Unfortunally I had already removed the manifold and muffler.

#3610 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 08:48 PM

That's awesome right there!

I hope to do the same with my son.

#3611 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 09:00 PM

If not with your Son, then Grandson. I still have to help my Son change the oil in his car.

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#3612 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,772 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 09:33 PM

The worst thing all day was trying to pull ropes with his help. He wants to do it all. 

#3613 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 07:23 AM

Just keep the wrenches put up or you'll have parts (& wrenches) all over the place! LOL! Good job, Heath!

• Craig. said thank you

#3614 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 08:44 AM

It won't be long till Willie can sleep in while Heath gets the work done!  Easy to tell wrenching will be his thing!

• MH81, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3615 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,772 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 10:45 PM

Man I am beat.

7coffee_fatigue.jpg0.

Last night I slept with my right arm stretched straight out. I woke up and could barely move it. It took some time to get it bending.

We got outside and got started on CherryBerry again. 

After an hour and a half getting all the stuff out of the way (intake hoses, breather, radiator shroud, fan, alternator -  lots of stuff packed in small space and huge hands don't mix) we got the power steering bracket off and finally the pump came loose. 

The guy  whose name I can never remember pulled in. So I told Steph to pull the hose off and we would take a look at the pump.  The guy needed a deck for his mower. I had one. I also had a Craftsman mower he wanted too. So we worked out a deal and then I had Steph pull Christine around to drag the Craftsman to the front. 

Once the stuff was loaded on his trailer and he left we went back to the truck. Steph said the pressure hose was barely tight when she took it off. I didn't see anything on the pump leaking so it went back in and the hose got tightened.

Heath was attempting to drive his car up and down the trailer ramps without much success, so I took the wooden ramps and made him a runway.

ramp2.jpg

ramp1.jpg

ramp.jpg

After a while we took the 12 foot 2x12 trailer sideboards and made longer ramps, he loved it. No pics because I had got my hands nasty.

Once all the stuff was put back in we fired it up and turned the wheel. It was almost impossible to turn. 

Nothing was leaking and the pump was full. SO I took a look at the steering gear. It looked fine. 

After a little thought I decided to try adjusting the steering gear. It was either that or a new box. After about 20 minuted of fiddling I had it pretty good. 

When I took it on a test drive it was a little floaty at speed. I know the front end is going to need rebuilding soon. I think the PO tried to fix the wandering by tightening the box. When I put some good Barrs leak PS stop leak in it and the leak stopped it made the PS go tight. At least that is my theory.

Once that was done I began hosing every thing down with Purple power. 

While I was hosing it down another neighbor came, Ben dropped in.  He wanted to look at the parts Suburban. SO he did. His grandson was with him and wanted to play with Gunner.  Gunner wanted nothing to do with him which is odd, because they have played before. 

Then he wanted to see the big dogs. I was busy so I told Steph to take him in the pen. That was a mistake. both dogs came bolting past Steph and ran to me and did not want anything to do with the boy. Int eh process Diesel strained his bad leg and every time anyone but Steph touched him he growled. That didn't go over real well. 

So the big dogs got wrestled back in the pen and Ben headed home. I think the monster dog growling scared him. 

We then dragged a garden hose through the kitchen window and hooked it to the hot side of the washer hookup. When I had hot water I blasted the engine down. Most of the caked on PS fluid came off. With the pressure washer it would have come spotless. 

We picked up tools and I came in and fell into a chair. 

Steph cooked dinner - chicken and noodles. I didn't even move for several hours.

At 8 she went to Walmart to get a couple things. I got in the shower. 

Tomorrow I have a docs appt. Fun fun

• olcowhand, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 2 others have said thanks