wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 01:24 PM

Three things on that lift,
The cross rod where the cable hooks is a definite weak point. It won't be pretty the day that bends or breaks.
You might consider a snatch block on the lift. Not for doubling the power, but for slowing the lift.
Last, you mention modifying the end... I have a suggestion, let me look for pictures of what I see in my minds eye

I had already planned to put a pulley on it for two reason. One it will slow the lift. Two I can take if off and use it for a snatch block is needed. 

That cross bar is actually pretty stout I can't see it bending while lifting a tractor. Anything heavier and I have the mobile crane. 

As for lifting tractors, I wont be working under them on it. Just moving them or other stuff that needs to be manhandled.  I thought of just putting a bolt through it that would hang on the derelict when the lift is stuck under it. I could see that jack platform being nice for moving a good tractor that died, but for a junker just dragging it will be good enough. 

• olcowhand, MH81 and Craig. have said thanks

#3557 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 06:34 PM

And for Valentines day Steph got Heath and I the puking crud.

Woke up to single digit temps this morning. It has warmed all the way up to the teens. No going out and laying under the Blazer to install the transmission. I felt like death anyway so no big loss.

Depressed-Coffee-Machine-1050x968.jpg

I was up at 6am. Heath was up too. He wasn't happy. I went to get him and he was burning up. He got in bed with Steph and watched Curious George. 

I have no idea what time they came in the living room. We tried to give Heath some children's Motron but he would have none of it. Steph went to Walmart to get a syringe to squirt it in his mouth. 

She came home. He puked in the floor. We got him to take some Motrin. He went back to sleep. 

received a phone call it went like this.

Me: Hello
Foreign Female: Hello we call yewahytlshoeuyrytsopeiyaf to join yoakdjyaoiduygba...
Me: HUH?
FF: Ok yeeneehahahanee membership yaneewawawauioahjdya;lkjhyfg benefits....
Me: What...
FF: Yes, neeeneeehawa yahoahyt heehaygloyslfiyhgladyjmfladfy;gnjadyf;ljhfgq8oiuhql;wkhjqtfg;lhfadpjjgjhqwigqfuygweklhry..
Me: I have no idea what you are saying.
FF: Good, whyyahsopyyakdpwatyjfdoatygnnjatyfdk
Me: Let me help you with this....CLICK.

She is probably still yammering in whatever language that was.

After a couple of hours I was doing my best to not puke in the floor. 

Steph went back to Walmart for ginger ale and crackers.

No puking since then. Which is good since he managed to puke on every blanket we have. One of them twice. Once after it was washed. 

• olcowhand, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 1 other said thanks

#3558 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 07:29 PM

Hope the little fella wakes up feeling better!  Nothing worse than a little one sick like that.  Hope you all get to feeling better, even you Willie!  :smilewink:

• Craig. and jpackard56 have said thanks

#3559 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 11:03 PM

The flu sucks
Tell him Daddy's tractor friends all hope his tummy feels better
  • Craig. and jpackard56 have said thanks

#3560 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 05:18 PM

I made it through the night.

Heath and gunner slept with us last night. Or rather everyone else slept :I hacked and gagged and spat out things that I believe were alive.

It was about 1am before I even had a cup of coffee.

943928_974266922652211_4696497158472376373_n.jpg

Steph went to Walmart at around 10. Since the ABC store is closed today (Usually a good strong hot toddy will clear me up) she got me some of what they call "Great America Carolina Clear" moonshine they sell. Let me tall you it is horrible. It taste like someone drank moonshine, ate a case of lemons, and peed in a jar. It has helped my cough a little. 

She said that she spun on black ice on the way home. I have taught her well how to handle situations like that. 

Heath is feeling much better. He is all over the house making up for yesterday.

I finally had to have some fresh air. I went outside for about 10 minutes and felt like a new person. I wonder if I can rig up an outside air hose so I can have fresh air without standing int eh 20 degree weather. 

We have had ice falling all afternoon so I wouldn't have got anything done anyhow.. 

• olcowhand, wvbuzzmaster, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#3561 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 08:19 PM

All I can say is I tried. 

After half  bottle of Nyquil I finally managed to get some sleep. 

I woke up and someone had tarred my sinuses shut. 

When I could finally breathe...

1d71b0dae9bf6dd7af0696eb96e9ecd7.jpg

Then I released Heath from captivity. 

When I felt slightly human, Heath and I got dressed and went outside. 

I installed the knock sensor and attempted to put the transmission in. I found out that we somehow managed to mangle the threads on the engine block so the holes had to be re-tapped. So I hunted up a 10x1.5 tap. There is so little room there is no way to use a tap handle. After an exhaustive search for a 12 point 1/4 inch socket proved fruitless I gave up. 

I felt like crap anyhow. I called Steph and told her to get a socket on her way home. Of course she got a deep well. I hope I can use it. 

i am going to drink the rest of my Nyquil and hope for more sleep. 

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3562 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 08:30 PM

Sorry you feel so bad, Willie! I hope you get better soon!

• Craig. said thank you

#3563 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,283 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 10:14 PM

Willie, Lisle tools makes a socket set for taps and standard square drive ends. After you use it, you'll wonder why you waited so long to get one. They lock the tap in place and hold it straight on the round shank.

• Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#3564 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 11:46 PM

If the tap has the usual square end, a good 8point socket will work, they work great on oil plugs too.

• Craig. said thank you

#3565 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 11:33 AM

Willie, Lisle tools makes a socket set for taps and standard square drive ends. After you use it, you'll wonder why you waited so long to get one. They lock the tap in place and hold it straight on the round shank.

If the tap has the usual square end, a good 8point socket will work, they work great on oil plugs too.

I looked through everything and all I could find was a 6 point. I used to have about 982347908712459087245 1/4 inch sockets. Now I have  about 6. Somewhere there is a squirrel with an armor plated nest.

• Craig., KennyP and adamjd200 have said thanks

#3566 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,283 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 12:11 PM

I looked through everything and all I could find was a 6 point. I used to have about 982347908712459087245 1/4 inch sockets. Now I have  about 6. Somewhere there is a squirrel with an armor plated nest.

The problem is, not al taps are 1/4 in or even a normal size socket. Then you are stuck just on the small square. These fit the tap and support it on the shank. They also fit hand reamers and other standard square drive tools. Here is about the best deal going on them.  https://jet.com/prod...kenshoo_clickid_

• MH81, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3567 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 764 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 12:33 PM

[quote name="UncleWillie" post="653611" timestamp="1455574692"]

I finally had to have some fresh air. I went outside for about 10 minutes and felt like a new person. I wonder if I can rig up an outside air hose so I can have fresh air without standing int eh 20 degree weather.

My Father n law liked fresh air also so he ran a dryer hose from outside to the intake of his furnace fan, seemed to work pretty good.

Edited by Craig., February 18, 2016 - 12:34 PM.

• olcowhand, UncleWillie and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3568 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 01:34 PM

The problem is, not al taps are 1/4 in or even a normal size socket. Then you are stuck just on the small square. These fit the tap and support it on the shank. They also fit hand reamers and other standard square drive tools. Here is about the best deal going on them.  https://jet.com/prod...kenshoo_clickid_

Here's another option, which I may order...just $20 and free shipping.  They are a chuck type.  A pair does all taps from #6 to 1/2" shank taps.  I see no reason why you couldn't drill these tools for a bar insert.

tap wrench.jpg

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3569 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 01:42 PM

I just ordered the Irwin adjustable set.  I had issues holding a smaller tap just a few days ago.  These will solve that problem!

• Craig. said thank you

#3570 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 05:44 PM

Just read the replies to my tap post. Glad to see my dilemma gave a sales boost to the tap and die industry LOL> 

Finally I got some rest.

At 9 the Gunner dance began. What is the Gunner dance you ask. It is a ritual that occurs every morning. 

I wake up. Somehow Gunner knows my eyes have opened and he twitches. Just a twitch that is all. 

I grab my phone and look at the time. He twists himself into a sitting position in a millisecond, every muscle in his body coiled for action. 

I lay there for a few minutes and try to get my body all moving the same direction. Every movement of my body has a responding twitch from his.  By the time I am actually moving he is literally vibrating on the foot of the bed. 

I pull myself to a sitting position. He performs an aerobatic maneuver so complicated that I am at a loss as to how to describe it.  He manages to leap a foot off the bed, do a  complete midair 360 barrel roll while moving backwards off the bed, making a perfect 4 point landing on the rug without ever taking his eyes off me. 

I reach for my PJ pants (no i don't sleep in them) and put them on. He leaps about 3 feet in the air, moves about 4 feet rearward, still never taking his eyes off me. He lands with his rump up in the air and his chin on the floor. 

I make my way to the bathroom that is 4 feet away from the bed. Gunner pivots, twirls, twists, gyrates, spasm, and flops his way into the hall. He sits in front of the back door and looks at me with the most excited look on his face. You can literally feel his excitement from 15 feet away.

After I flush and wash up I grab a shirt from my drawer. Gunner nearly wears a hole in the floor bucking and prancing around. His toenails clicking on the linoleum like an old typewriter.

Finally, I make my way to the hall and he becomes a statue. A statue that vibrates. he knows he must be still while I attach his chain. It takes every ounce of his self control to not move. Then I ask him for a kiss. He rams his nose into my beard. 

Once the clasp on the chain clicks all bets are off. He becomes a wild force on nature. His energy builds, and intensifies to a seismological event. Then I open the door. He bolts to the end of his chain. And lays down.

After all that I opened Heath's gate. He was asleep in the hall. He didn't move. I don't know why he even has a bed. 

364f24d85d745b5116b4bc6d4aa54c54.jpg

I love that song.

I had his breakfast made before he even stirred. 

Then I goofed off online and waited for his speech therapist to show up.

Once she left we went outside and got to work on the Blazer. 

Heath had me open the hood on the parts Suburban so he could work on it. He immediately crawled up on the engine.

In short order I had all the holes tapped and oiled. The problem was that when I lowered the transmission it slipped off the board I had under it to put it at the right angle. I didn't have enough hands to both lift the transmission and slide the board under it. 

While I scratched my head I heard a familiar sound and my biddy Reid pulled in the driveway. He brought me an old Kholer engine that sounds like a maraca. He wanted to look at a sander i picked up a while back and have only used once. He wanted it so we worked out a trade. I am dropping the bush hog off at his shop in the next day or so for him to modify.

Before I left I got him to help with the board. Then I had a cup of coffee and got back to work. In short order I had 2 bolts in the bell housing, and needed to lift the back of the transmission up to level the engine to get the top two bolts in. 

Fortunately, Heath had put two camper stands under the Blazer. The were old and rusted and wouldn't move. I pulled the bolt out of one of them and carried it to the shop. With the help of the wire brush on the bench grinder I had the threads cleaned in no time. The nut was still stuck. 

I went to the tent Building and put it in the vice. Some gentle tapping, lots of oil, and a big wrench and it came right off. 

I then carried it back to the Blazer and put it under the very end on the transmission and ran it up till it lifted the trans off the jack. I then re-positioned the transmission jack so I could level the engine. 

From somewhere Heath brought me a Flexplate. It is covered in mud so I am pretty sure he didn't remove a transmission to get it. I have no idea where he got it,but he sure was proud of it. 

I got one bolt in the top and dropped the other one. As I made my way off the engine, off the trailer, onto the ground, and began to crawl back under the truck, my neighbor pulled in with his new 2012 Dodge truck. It was a good an excuse as any. We walked over. My hands were hurting.

His 5 year old son was with him and he and Heath terrorized the yard. At one point the escaped bunny appeared and they both chased it. After about an hour we came back home.

The mailman dropped off the breather for the LawnBoy. Yippee.

We staggered in and I washed my greasy hands. Heath stripped down to his underwear in about 4 seconds, flopped on the couch and didn't move. He wore himself out.

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks