UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 11:37 AM

I think I see what AAA is doing.  They are saying that when you first join that you can't get a tow until you've been a member for 5 days.

That's to keep people from joining, getting a tow and then cancelling their membership.  That wolud cost them a lot of  money over the years.

Once the 5 day period is over they will tow right away.

Exactly what I was trying to say last night, but I was too tired. I understand why they do it, I don't agree with it though. They should have a policy that says if you get one tow and then cancel within x number of days your credit card will be charged for the tow at $x per mile. The way it is set up now is just asking to be scammed. 

• olcowhand, Craig., HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#3512 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 03:03 PM

Not a bad day. 

We all got up and got going with some waffles and

d94429566b6e08a075820143119d284d.jpg

Then we got dressed and headed outside. 

I started with Christine's radiator. 

IMG_20160131_140328949.jpg

Not bad for 600k miles. 

After it was all flushed and ran clear we put the thermostat back in and filled it up. 

While it was warming back up I snatched the tractor off the back of Christine and hooked it to the battery box. It started right up.

IMG_20160131_145705505.jpg
IMG_20160131_140351190.jpg

IMG_20160131_140342232.jpg

It has no exhaust to it was a bit loud. I drove ti flat tires and all over to the tractor resting area. 

Then I turned my attention to the Craftsman LT4000 that I got a week or so ago. I never have attempted to start it. 

The starter was not working so I went to another engine and stole one. It fired right up and settled into a beautiful idle. Then it ran out of gas. We gave it another drink and it fired right up. 

We tinkered with the winch on the back of it. It goes up but not down. I haven't figured that out yet. I didn't feel like sitting on the wet ground to play with it. 

Heath found the belt for the mower deck and had to install it. He worked on it for over an hour and in the end had it around all the pulleys, just not quite in the right order. 

Finally I staggered in. My back is sore. It was a great day though. 

Edited by UncleWillie, January 31, 2016 - 03:59 PM.

• olcowhand, wvbuzzmaster, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#3513 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 04:49 PM

He'll know his way around vehicles by the time he starts driving!

• Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#3514 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 06:07 PM

He'll know his way around vehicles by the time he starts driving!

Yes he will, and he'll be able to figure most anything out mechanically.  Great way to grow up!

• TheFarm2004, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3515 Craig. ONLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 08:43 AM

Agreed! That's a wonderful way to grow up!

#3516 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 06:23 PM

It was just too nice outside today.

After a night of tossing and turning and hurting I finally dragged myself out of bed and released Heath into the wild and put Gunner out on his chain.

bf264b527eb68f39c691bb94cb0db901.jpg

We sat here a while and eventually Gunner started throwing a fit b4ecause he was tangled up. So I went out and untangled him.

The wonderful warm air and invigorating breeze made me feel better. So I got Heath dressed and we went out.

All I was going to do was watch Heath run around.

After about 5 minutes of that I got to looking at the Craftsman with the winch on the back.

Looking at it led to looking for my other little winch. Which led to the discovery of some strange 12v gear drive motors. I have no idea where they came from or what they were ever used for.

I carted one over to the tractor and looked to see if it would work in place of the winch. It wouldn't. Rather than cart it and all its wiring to the shed again I called my buddy Reid and told him to come get them.

A little more searching and I found a winch. Of course it had 30 feet of wiring and it was wrapped around every thing. Once that was untangled I got it to the tractor and started seeing if it worked. It was a wireless remote and I couldn't find the remote. So I decided to wire it in to the solenoids that are on the back of the tractor.

I had to drill several new holes and find a couple of bolts but I got it on.

Heath helped by running off with my drill bits. I kept having to yell for him to bring them back.

With the winch mounted I found that one of the solenoids doesn't work right. So I called Steph and told her to snag one.

https://youtu.be/W4cWR8I3UhA

Reid showed up and had to look at everything in the yard. When we went to get the second motor out of the shed it was tangled in everything. I mean everything. By the time it was free I wrenched my back.

Some person started texting me and asking who I was. It led to an interesting exchange. I have no idea who they are. They kept telling me I called them. Their number is not in my call list.

After Reid headed home Heath and I came in side.

It was fun, but I am hurting. Heath is filthy.

Edited by UncleWillie, February 01, 2016 - 06:48 PM.

• wvbuzzmaster, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3517 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 06:31 PM

Boys are supposed to be filthy!

• TheFarm2004, Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#3518 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 07:33 PM

I like the wench idea, I have a weird bracket on the back of Brother of Hulk II that I am trying to figure what I can do with it.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1150007.JPG

• wvbuzzmaster and Craig. have said thanks

#3519 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 06:58 PM

Woke up in a lot of pain. Sure enough it was raining. Nothing got done.

woot_shirt___coffee_by_fablefire-d4ttt71

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#3520 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 07:22 PM

Sorry you're hurting Willie!  My joints have hurt more today as well....and now it's raining!  

• Craig. said thank you

#3521 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted February 04, 2016 - 08:56 PM

It's finally home!!!

Since it was still wet outside and I didn't feel like playing in the mud, Heath and I didn't do anything all day. Well, Heath had his speech therapy, but that was all. 

e1ca619c61b4390487fc3d0f3ba0aecc.jpg

I had told Steph to get home as early as possible today so I could go get my Suburban. She sent me a text that she was on the way home so I got ready. When she pulled in the drive I called AAA and scheduled a tow.

My GPS told me that there was a wreck on I85 so I detoured around it and hit the interstate above the rack. 

I got to the truck at 500. The driver got there at 530. He got caught in traffic and tried to detour and hit even more traffic. 

I took a few pics of the interior while I waited.

frontseat.jpg

IMG_20160204_170813474.jpg

IMG_20160204_170832507.jpg

Once the truck was loaded the driver got a call to do an unlock about 4 miles from where we were. I told him I was starving and I would go get some food. He could call me when he came back by.

IMG_20160204_175132439.jpg

I went to Taco Bell and got some indegestion while I waited. In about 45 minutes he came back. Someone took his lock out kit out of his truck and he had to make things up. He got it done though. 

We got on the interstate and headed back. When we got to the 485 - 85 interchange I saw traffic ahead of us was at a dead stop for a long way . I picked up my phone to call the tow driver. And then Christine died. When I turned the key it just clicked. Not a good sigh. I coasted off to the shoulder and as he picked up his phone. I told him it had died and wouldn't restart. And just to make a liar out of me she started.

I told him to stay on the shoulder and we would detour around the traffic. So we did. IT took about 20 minutes longer to get home than the interstate would have, but we would have still been sitting in traffic. 

At the house he backed it in the yard and dropped it off. While we were talking a neighbor came by and wanted to look at a different truck I have out front. He said he would come back during the daylight. 

After a bit of chatting the driver left. Steph got in Christine to move her around back to put air in the tires. IT refused to start. I poked around under the hood a bit and then the underhood light went out. I grabbed the negative cable and pulled on it and the light came back on. It started right up. 

She pulled around back and I tightened up the cable. Hopefully that gets it. We tossed the good tires in Christine's bed. Tomorrow on her way home she will run by the tire shop and get them put on . 

I called the transmission shop and my buddy said it would be ready on Saturday when Steph goes up to Burlington to see a friend whose husband is shipping out overseas. Then I get to put it in. Oh boy. Anyone up for a tranny party - wait..... that doesn't sound right.

• olcowhand, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 2 others have said thanks

#3522 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted February 04, 2016 - 09:14 PM

Looks good. What is your plans for it?

I stopped tonight in the way home and looked at a 99 suburban with a 6" suspension lift big tires and nice wheels. All new stuff. He wants 8500 for it. Seems steep but boy do I want it.

#3523 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 11:41 AM

Plans right now are to steal the little stuff I need for Spooky that ran off with Heath. Then possibly steal the wiring harness to fix the BlueOx. Other plans are fix it , sell it, part it, raise chickens in it, make Heath an awesome Clubhouse out of it. Not sure yet. 

• olcowhand, wvbuzzmaster, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#3524 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 04:57 PM

Great day.

This morning Heath and I got up and had a bowl of cereal.

12654561_955686271173715_225853876338366

Wow that is huge.

Anyhow. We watched Cars and goofed off till his Speech therapy. Once that was done we got outside. 

For some reason he had no interest in the new Suburban. So I turned my attention to the tractor winch. The mailman pulled up and delivered my cigars. I offered him one and he declined. 

I have decided the tractor to be named the Rescue Ranger, or Ranger for short. After installing the new solenoid exactly like the old one I discovered it still only went one direction. After some head scratching I came inside to do some research. Heath helped by climbing on my head.

I finally found a thread on Pirate4x4 that was about a Harbor Freight winch. What I was missing was the fact that there were only 2 terminals on the winch. So to reverse it you had to reverse polarity. My choices were to buy two more Ford solenoids and run 4 total. That would have been a lot of crap hanging off the back of the tractor. I found a reversing solenoid for $20 and ordered it. I can put it in a waterproof box and have a neat install. 

I looked at the old Superwinch that I pulled off the Ranger and discovered it was the same way, only two terminals. I hooked it up to my jump box and it works both directions. Since the Superwinch is the better machine I will put it back on and probably mount the little HF winch under the toolbox of Christine to help loading it.

Then I moved some stuff around and then parked the new Suburban next to the tent. It sounded terrible but it drove under its own power. 

IMG_20160205_151543996.jpg

Heath still had no interest in the truck. I unhooked the battery and called it good. 

We then turned our attention to the growing pile of cardboard in the burn barrel. I twas wet but with a little help it finally lit up. I cut up Heaths old crib and put it in too. The crib was at the point of being unsafe for use so it needed to go. 

Heath helped. 

IMG_20160205_153851060.jpg

(Yes that is my air hose touching the burn barrel. I saw it and moved it before it could melt.

I smoked a Java mint cigar. It was good. 

The guy behind us was out and trying to corral his chickens. He was standing by my fence so I walked down to see if they were over on my side. They weren't, but I did arrange a play date for Heath and his twins. Poor Heath only has me to play with and I am not that much fun. 

After that I pulled my chair up next to the burn barrel and sat a while. 

Heath tried his hand at climbing a tree. Then he spent some quality time with the hand winch on the little trailer. 

Once the fire burned down we came in. 

It was fun. 

Edited by UncleWillie, February 05, 2016 - 04:59 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 3 others have said thanks

#3525 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 1,162 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 07:58 PM

We needed a burn barrel today,that wind was cold

• Craig. said thank you