• Please log in to reply
4309 replies to this topic

#3436 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,865 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 12:47 PM

Funny how it's the little things in life that sneak up and bite you in the butt---- I hope you're feeling better soon.

• jpackard56 said thank you

#3437 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 09:58 AM

Yesterday was shot.

underconstruction.png

Friday (I forgot to mention this) our dryer died. I had been attempting to dry the same load all day long. I finally gave up and went online looking. I found a set for $250 delivered to my door. They are scratch and dent, but they work. The washer had its own set of problems so it got replaced too. Then we had to get the huge back log of laundry done. 

I have a guy who owes me a chunk of money. He is supposed to be here every day this week to work it off. Yesterday morning he called and said he was hungover and couldn't come up. Well, now he has to get the work done in less time. 

So I took it easy. My back was still sore. 

Heath promptly spilled an entire glass of milk. Fortunately we had clean towels to clean it up.

In the afternoon Heath and I tackled his bedroom. Sunday I took his old crib, that he has not slept in in a year, and was full of stuffed animals, out of his room. The ensuing mess was a thing to behold. It looked like his toy box exploded. After about 2 hours of work we got it clean.

I tossed his huge red blanket in the washer with the milky towel and washed them.

By that time my back was screaming. I quit. 

Steph was glad that the room was clean though. 

Heath fell asleep on the couch before Steph got home. 

She woke him up when she came in. 

I gave him his freshly laundered blanket. He promptly spilled ginger ale on it. Then he spilled Steph's tea. It just wasn't his day.

My slave was supposed to arrive at 9 this morning. He got here at 930. He will play for his insolence.

• olcowhand, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 3 others have said thanks

#3438 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,865 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 03:09 PM

I assume Gunner will be drafting a letter to PETA shortly----he should have been called in for spilt milk cleanup! I know my mastiffs would be right ticked if they missed a chance like that.

• KennyP, HDWildBill, jpackard56 and 1 other said thanks

#3439 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 03:19 PM

I assume Gunner will be drafting a letter to PETA shortly----he should have been called in for spilt milk cleanup! I know my mastiffs would be right ticked if they missed a chance like that.

He was outside on his chain enjoying the sunshine. He sat out there on the back steps for about 4 hours.

• jpackard56 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3440 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 04:17 PM

Wow. 

peon4.jpg

This morning my peon was supposed to be here at 9. He wasn't. He came dragging in at 930. No wonder he can't keep a job.

I left Heath in bed and went out and got Justin started. I went back inside. At about 10 Heath got up and wanted PB&J. While I was fixing that he came in the office and spilled coffee in my keyboard.  It was supposed to be water proof. Not coffee proof evidently. Fortunately I had an old one in the closet. I don't like it but it is usable. 

At about noon I told him to get dressed and we went outside to see if Justin was still alive.

peon2.jpg

He had a lot of stuff moved. I got the string mower started (it had gotten water in the tank and I had to drain the carb and pour in Seafoam then it fired right up) and got him to start cutting. Heath and I came back in For a while. 

At about 130 we went back out. 

peon.jpg

I ordered a pizza and them helped Justin move a couple of big things. I also had to put new string on the mower. He was pushing it around and couldn't figure out why it wasn't cutting anything.

The pizza arrived in a big Dodge pickup. When he left we heard a loud bang, the truck stopped in the middle of the road, then went roaring down the hill. I went to see what he hit.

peon3.jpg

Neighbor just had it put up a month ago. 

I called the store and told them. They said he would be coming back.

When he got here he told me he didn't think he hit anything. I told him that was a lie because he stopped and then sped off. He changed his story. 

After he profusely apologized to  Wanda and I got all his information, he said he would come back tomorrow morning with a new mailbox post and a bag of cement and replace it. She told him if he didn't he had to answer to me. LOL

I got Justin started again and he did a good job cutting everything down. I need to either get some more sign tarps (I cant reach the guy) or some roundup to hose the area down with. 

At 330 I told Justin to call it a day. He will (supposedly) be back at 9 tomorrow morning. We will see. Not sure what time the Pizza guy will be back. I have a picture of his drivers license and his phone number. 

• olcowhand, wvbuzzmaster and KennyP have said thanks

#3441 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 05:34 PM

Wonder how he managed not to destroy the mailbox?   And what was his excuse for hitting it?  I can understand when pulling a wide load how it can happen, but just the truck??   :(   

• KennyP said thank you

#3442 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 05:44 PM

He is a 19 year old kid driving a big Dodge pickup. He was very polite after he knew he was caught. It looked like it hit the bumper right on the post below the mailbox. Hopefully he learns to look. 

EDIT: just looked at the pic of his license. He is 17.

Edited by UncleWillie, January 12, 2016 - 05:45 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#3443 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 06:13 PM

Hopefully he learns to look. 

EDIT: just looked at the pic of his license. He is 17.

After a few mailboxes, I'm sure he'll be paying more attention.  At least he finally owned up to it.

• UncleWillie said thank you

#3444 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 06:17 PM

Pushing it around and...

:wallbanging:

If he's working off a debt, I hope you are discounting the hourly payback to cover your babysitting (Justin, not Heath)
  • KennyP and UncleWillie have said thanks

#3445 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 06:21 PM

Glad you got him straightened out on the mailbox. I can't believe someone can push a mower around and it not working! DUH!

• UncleWillie said thank you

#3446 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 06:27 PM

Glad you got him straightened out on the mailbox. I can't believe someone can push a mower around and it not working! DUH!

I've seen guys that bad on the job, it is scary somedays. You know the kill bars on regular push mowers came about after two brainiacs picked up a Toro Power Handle mower by the deck edges and tried to clip a hedge !!

• KennyP and UncleWillie have said thanks

#3447 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 06:33 PM

After a few mailboxes, I'm sure he'll be paying more attention.  At least he finally owned up to it.

It was kind of hard to deny after I told him exactly what he did. He had no idea I was watching. 

• wvbuzzmaster and KennyP have said thanks

#3448 camdigger ONLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 03:03 AM

I can totally see someone nailing a mailbox if he was backing up to turn around or the like. I have also seen people sideswipe stuff while driving something bigger than they are used to.

As for the lawn mowing, I can believe that too. There are people around who just have no ability to reason stuff out nor solve problems. The world needs garbage men and McDonald's autonamatons too.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#3449 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 04:49 PM

Much got did today.

I was awake before Steph's alarm went off. I tried to go back to sleep, but she decided to play the snooze button bongos and I couldn't. I didn't let her know I was awake. As much as I wanted to go back to sleep I was up.

I attempted to sneak into the kitchen to make coffee, but Heath was awake. I could hear him humming  some tune that only he knows. I managed to make coffee without alerting him to my presence. 

yup.jpg

At 9 Justin arrived and I went out. 

First the Falcon had to be awakened from her chilly slumber. The force was with us and she roared to life with a bit of coaxing.

Then I mowed the area Justin cleared yesterday as low as the deck would go. I found a tire iron he missed. OOps. 

I also found (but didn't hit) the Gearwrench Ratchet that Heath absconded with a while back. It still works. It is a bit muddy though. 

I told him to rake it again and I went inside to get Heath. 

With him dressed and fed I went back outside.

We began to figure out where things were going to go. the Falcon helped us shove some broken tractors and other things into position. I left enough space between everything to get the trimmer in there.

When all the big stuff was moved I told Justin to fire up the trimmer and mow down the tall grass where the tractors had been. Heath and I came in. 

Almost as soon as I sat down my phone rang. Justin said the guy who hit the mailbox was here. So we all went over and went to work. 

With the mobile crane we pulled the old mailbox out of the ground. The new post was a little taller, and Wanda is very short, so he had to dig it a bit deeper.

Once that was set in concrete we turned our attention to transferring the box and numbers to the new post. In all it took about a hour. Heath had a ball helping. He was helping stir the concrete and was stamping the dirt down over the hole. 

Once the kid left Justin and I got back to work. By 3 we had done this.

IMG_20160113_152606363.jpg

IMG_20160113_152536498.jpg

There is still more to do, but I feel good about the work that is done so far. 

When we decided to quit Heath was crying. I figured eh was tired so I picked him up and carried him in. Inside I told him he could get undressed. I found out that he pooped his pants. He was so tired from running around he just had an accident. I did my best to reassure him that it was OK and got him cleaned up. 

After some cheese and juice he was feeling much better. So was I. 

• olcowhand, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 1 other said thanks

#3450 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 05:44 PM