wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,301 Thanks
  • 8,621 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 10:09 PM

I got it running - then I broke it.

This morning we had to be up and running early. A friend of mine in Charlotte said he had a push mower he would give me that ran. I was going to steal the engine off it for the wheel trimmer.

So we left.

stock-vector-coffee-running-247836919.jpg

When we hit the road Steph told me the horn in CherryBerry wasn't working. I figured it was a blown fuse so we stopped at Autozone and I snagged some. Problem solved for a while. I think it has a short in it somewhere I need to find.

Then we ran across the road to BoJangles for biscuits.

An event-less drive to Charlotte and we got to Darryl's cigar shop. He wasn't there. I sent him a text and he said he would be there at noon. I guess plans changed. SO we went shopping.

First we went to Advance auto to get some spot mirrors that were smaller than what was on the truck. The PO had put huge spots on it and there was about 1 inch of usable mirror on it. A set of one inch spots in place of the 3 in ch ones and you could actually use the mirrors.

Then we went to Dollar General to look around and get a cell phone charger.

Darryl texted me back and said he was at the shop so we headed over.

He had a 6hp push mower that we loaded up in the truck and then harassed him a while. Then another event-less drive home.

I changed chothes and then went out. Steph had homework to finish.

I tossed a board across the tractor stand to make a push mower stand and then put Darryl's mower up to look at it.  He told me the blade was bent so I pulled it off and then gave it a look over. I looked pretty good so I poured a little gas in it and pulled the rope. Nothing. Except that gas started pouring out a hole in the carb.

So it came down and I went and snagged the wheel trimmer and the push mower that didn't work. I was determined to get something running. A look at them and I saw they had almost the same carb on them. So I began to mix and match parts till I had one complete carb. I took the needle valve out of the non runner, and the bowl and put them on the trimmer. It didn't start.

I had to run to to Wal-mart for Brake clean and Seafoam. I seem to go thru a can of each on any mower repair.

While I was tinkering the neighbors brother came over and we talked while I worked. He is an older guy and is slipping a bit mentally so we got along just fine. LOL.

I checked for spark and I had none. SO the top came off the engine and I found a wasp nest inside. I also found a lot of rust on the flywheel and coil. Heath stood on the stand and watched me sand it down. He kept saying, "Get it clean".

helper.jpg

helper2.jpg

Once I finally had spark I tried starting it again. I would fire over and attempted to start a couple of times but  just couldn't get it all the way. I knew it had to be the carb. I looked at the carb off the push mower and saw it was in a bit better shape (the trimmer carb had a broken piece in the body that I couldn't see till I pulled it off) so I cleaned it real good and put it on. Then I couldn't figure out all the linkages. I took pictures but I still couldn't get it. 

I came in and looked it up and found out that the push mower was a non throttle cable engine. The trimmer had a throttle cable. So if I was going to use the carb it had to be set up for no cable. I set it up and tried to start it and it would start for a few seconds and die.

Steph had dinner ready so I came in to eat and think. While I thought I looked online and found that the main jet has a tiny tiny jet in it. I went back out and sure enough that microscopic jet was plugged. I cleaned it with a single strand of copper wire.

After that we found it was pouring gas out of the bowl seal. So I cleaned up the other one as good as I could with Marvel Mystery Oil and put it on. It sealed.

After some tinkering and adjusting it started and ran. WOOHOOOO. I then attempted to engage the trimmer head. It died. Like a dummy I started it a bunch more times and got the same result. I told Steph to see if the head was turning. IT was locked up.

A bit of persuasion and it began to turn a little. Some MMO and a few taps with a hammer and it turned all the way. It did not sound happy though. I got it freed up as much as I could and then we started the engine. It turned but sounded like it was flying apart.

The head assembly is severely rusted. As in it looks like the guy I got it from kept it in salt water.

A new head is $132. I only paid $10 for the whole thing. No way I am paying that much.

The bottom "sealed" bearing has no seal in it anymore. It was just exposed bearings that were rusted. We packed it full of high temp grease and then I fashioned a seal out of an old baby formula can that we kept to toss bolts and stuff in and siliconed it into place. I know it won't last long, but it might get my yard trimmed. 

I was going to put the nut back on the spindle so I didn't' loose it. But fumble fingers me dropped it in the grass. A 30 minute search didn't turn it up. I will go to the store tomorrow.

Finally we turned off the big lights and came in. I feel like I accomplished something.

• olcowhand, DougT, MH81 and 4 others have said thanks

#3227 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15,301 Thanks
  • 8,621 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 06:57 PM

BRRRRRRRRUUMMMMMMBRRRRRRRRR   POP WHEEEEEEEEEEE.

Heath was so worn out from yesterday he fell asleep on the couch last night. Look at those nasty feet.

dirtyboy.jpg

We were all tired so we slept in a bit this morning.

Then we got moving - slowly. My back was not happy.

apart-boy-chocolate-coffee-girl-heart-Favim.com-53482.jpg

Steph left to go shopping so I went outside to get the trimming.

I put gas in it while it was still on the table and walked away to get something to cut some fresh cutting line with. I came back to a puddle of gas. It was leaking out of the air venturi which told me the float was not closing. IT ran perfect and didn't leak when running and I didn't have another fuel bowl gasket so I put a shut off on the line and called it good for now.

After putting the top back on the engine and installing the breather I set out of cutting. About 4 minutes later it slowly died. I tinkered with it and couldn't find a reason. I pulled the breather off and it fired right up. The filter was plugged. SO i blew it out and put it back on. IT worked and ran great.

I was destroying weeds left and right. My formula can lid seal lasted about 45 more seconds till it came flying off. I kept on going.

I got all the way down the back side of the house and was going across the side when it popped and whirred and stopped. No resistance at all when I pulled the rope. I figure the connecting rod and the piston parted ways. All that work for about 15 minutes of trimming. Oh well.

SO I got my chair and set it up in the shade where I had trimmed and sat with my tablet and searched online. I found a 3.5HP Briggs for $50 that I may go get tomorrow. Not sure yet.

LilBits decided she needed to be in my lap. She made a nice tablet rest while I was watching Mythbusters. I don't think she agreed with their conclusion though.

tabletreest.jpg

A guy came by and wanted a spindle for a craftsman deck. I didn't have one.

We finally came in.

Now I am waiting on Steph to get home to see how much money she spent.

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3228 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,304 Thanks
  • 44,882 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 07:02 PM

Sorry all that work was for nothing!

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#3229 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,531 Thanks
  • 30,940 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 07:07 PM

We've all had those days, and aren't they just wonderful.  :wallbanging:   Hope your luck improves.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#3230 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15,301 Thanks
  • 8,621 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 07:13 PM

It wasn't completely all for nothing. I got my lounging place cleaned out.

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3231 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,304 Thanks
  • 44,882 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 07:30 PM

That's probably what did it in!

• UncleWillie said thank you

#3232 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15,301 Thanks
  • 8,621 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 08:19 PM

IT IS ALIVE!!!!

Well after a hard day of shopping yesterday I was worn out.

When Heath and I got up we were both moving slow.

Frankenstein needs coffee.jpg

Once we finally got our blood flowing we went outside. `

Yesterday I picked up a Honda push mower for $50. I was planning to use the engine on the push trimmer.

IMG_20150908_203418609.jpg

IMG_20150908_202403758.jpg

After going out and looking at it I realized it wouldn't work. This mower has a clutch on the blade. I have never seen one before, but it looked like more than I wanted to mess with. The self propelled part is also shaft driven. I wasn't sure how to overcome that either.

I stood there and stared at it for a couple of minutes then I had an epiphany. The Honda will make an awesome trim mower. The Huskee we have been using as a trim mower would make an terrific engine donor.

So in about 15 minutes I had the engine snatched off the Huskee and the engine off the push trimmer. I yanked the pulley off the 4hp Techumseh from the trimmer and tried to put it on the Kholer off the Huskee. It was a no go. The Kholer shaft was about 1/4 inch bigger.

So the Kholer and the pulley got tossed in the bed of Christine and Heath and I headed off.

I got to my friend Reid's house and showed him what I have. HE immediately nixed the bore out the pulley plan. The pulley was stamped and it would have come apart. He dug around for a while and finally came up with a cast iron pulley off an old Briggs that was just about the right outside diameter. It had plenty of meat to bore it out to the right size.

After soem careful measurements he put the pulley in the lathe and started looking for a tool holder small enough to use. You know how we have old mowers everywhere? Well, Reid has a lathe in every place he looked. I think I counted about 12 of them of various sizes.

He finally found a tool holder. It was 5:00 by then and Heath was getting grumpy. He was hungry. So was Reid. So he said to come back in an hour or so.

Heath and I went down to Autozone and he got a bag of M&Ms and an orange Fanta. I got a Dr Pepper, headlight adjusters for CherryBerry, and some carb cleaner. We got out to the truck and I realized I forgot a filter for the Kholer. I went back in and snagged one.

Heath and I headed home. Just as we rounded the corner I got a text from Steph asking where we were.

We got home and I set to pulling the grill off of CherryBerry.

Last night we were out after dark and the passengers side light was pointing straight down. I attempted to adjust it and the adjuster fell off in the radiator support. I wedged it into a sort of in front of us position and we headed home.

Once I had the grill off I saw definite proof of what I already knew. The truck has been wrecked at one time. IT was a very minor hit, but it messed up the radiator support enough to mess up the headlight. I got it pointed in a better way and put the grill back on.

Next S10 we get for scrap I will yank the radiator support off of.

After a while I headed back over to Reid's. He had almost got the pulley the right size. All we had to do was a bit of fine tuning to make it all work. IT took about 30 minutes to get it right.

I came home and it took me about 20 minutes to the the engine mounted and the pulley adjusted. Then I hooked the trimmers throttle cable up to the engines kill switch. Since it was set up to run on the safety kill handle and the trimmer didn't have one I disconnected the spring. Moving the throttle to the full position will let the engine start. The slow position kills it .

12006121_10153718521224739_8071310469993896983_n.jpg

Then I fired it up. As always, the Kholer started on the first pull. Then I took it off the table and took it for a spin. It works perfect. Since the engine is 2 hp bigger it doesn't bog down at all like the 4hp did. I will have to be careful to not mow things I don't want to.

I came in and Steph had ribs for dinner.  Good day.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150908_202403758.jpg

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#3233 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,304 Thanks
  • 44,882 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 04:40 AM

That should make a great trimmer!

#3234 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15,301 Thanks
  • 8,621 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 06:33 PM

Whew. I have sweated.

This morning I was up early even though it was really too wet to do anything outside. Heath and I had breakfast.

fw3.jpg

We did nothing till his speech therapist came. As usual he refused to talk to her. I still find it funny.

She left and we got on some work clothes and headed outside.

I put Heath in Christine with my phone to watch videos on and I started up the Frankenmower.

The grass where we had some stuff sitting (where previously there was no grass) was about 3 feet tall. Since it had bumpers and other car parts in it there was no way I was taking a regular mower in there. IT took me about an hour and a half to get this done. The only problem I had was since the head is worn out if you get into something that the string won't cut it just pulls the string out.

The grass was taller than that stump the engine is sitting on.

fw1.jpg

I went around front and mowed around Smokey.

fw4.jpg

And I found a fire ant mound somewhere along the way. Heath and I came in and I stripped out of the fire ant infested pants.

Steph was on her way home so I drank about a gallon of water and waited.

Once she got home I got some non anty pants and went back out.

I sharpened the axe and a hatchet and she used them on the stuff the mower wouldn't cut. I have no idea where my machete went.

With her to move things it went a lot faster. I got the whole other side of the tent building cut and then went to the chicken pen and the stuff behind the building.

I got about half of it done which was good for me. Then I took the axe and cut down 3 trees that were growing up in terrible places. One was growing up thru a pallet in front of a building. One was in front of the kitchen window (it wouldn't have been bad, but it would have turned the house over when it got bigger lol), the third was growing up in the ditch where we could not see to pull out of the driveway.

Then I was done. I was worn out.

Steph said something about cooking supper and I said we would just order pizza.

I came in and got in the shower. The first three gallons that came out of the head I drank. I was dried up.

The pizza arrived and we all dug in. I will sleep good tonight.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#3235 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15,301 Thanks
  • 8,621 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 05:48 PM

Beautiful day.

This morning Heath and I got up and got moving.

4hp2.jpg

I made the mistake of reading an article on Jalopnik. That article had a link to another. And to another. And to another. And 3 hours later we went outside.

We hopped in Christine and headed down to Autozone.I got stuff for an oil change for Christine and a couple other things and we headed home.

Withe Christine up on ramps she got her 100K oil change. One day that engine will explode and it will be spectacular!

I added extra HP!

4hp.jpg

Then I went over to Spooky and got the exhaust manifolds on. It took a while to do it and keep an eye on Heath.

Steph came home just as I was finishing up.

4hp1.jpg

Once that was done and the O2 sensor was put in I grabbed Grahams chainsaw and got to work replacing the fuel line. He called me to ask if I had it done just as I got started.

I almost had a catastrophic disaster working on it. The fuel line grommet nearly fell in side the gas tank. I jammed my finger in the fill hole and managed to push it against the side. Then I got a screwdriver in the center of it and got it out to where I could see it. Then I took my monster set of hemostats and got a hold of it and got it out. I finally got the line installed and fished the end out with the aid of the hemostats and installed the fuel filter.

A snort of fuel and it fired right up.

Graham got here just as I was wrestling with the grommet. He drove his tractor over. He needed gas so I gave him some and he will repay me later. He went home to mow.

Then we hooked the little trailer up to Christine. The Falcon aided in dragging the derelict Craftsman off the trailer. Heath and I took a ride down the hill on the Falcon while Steph tossed the rest of the things off the trailer. When Heath and I came back up I parked the Falcon on the trailer. Tomorrow morning I have to go mow a yard.

I finally came in. I am so tired I can barely keep my eyes open. Back pain has kept me from sleeping lately.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#3236 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,531 Thanks
  • 30,940 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 06:47 PM

Other than the back pain, glad you guys had a good day.  You need one.....or 2...or 3.........

• Craig. said thank you

#3237 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15,301 Thanks
  • 8,621 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 06:15 PM

Good thing Christine got her 100K mile oil change yesterday.

This morning I staggered to the kitchen way too early after way too little sleep.

aa4.jpg

When I made coffee I unlocked Heaths door so he could get out when he woke up ( if we don't lock him in he silently disassembles the house while we are sleeping, I swear he makes no noise at all.) I went back and laid down on the bed and Heath came running in. He was dressed in his finest.

aa2.jpg

aa3.jpg

After I had enough coffee in me to stand upright we headed off. I stopped at a gas station to put gas in the Falcon. I have not put any in it since I mowed the yard last time. I got $5 in gas and a $1 bottle of Gatorade for Heath. I put about  40 cents into the tractor and it overflowed. I wonder if Steph put more gas in it. SO the $4.40 went in Christine.

I got over to Grady's shop and found the grass to be waist high. I parked in the vacant lot next door and gave Heath my phone and the Gatorade. I got to mowing. I made the first pass with the blade high and going slow.

Then I dropped the blade an inch and sped up a bit. I was running out of time so I had to hurry. I had a guy coming at 2 to get the trailer. I stuck it in 6th and went for it. I forgot how bumpy his back lot was. I was hanging on for life. The hood was flopping up and down and I was bouncing all over. I had no time to worry about it though.

Once the front yard was all pretty I parked The Falcon up on the trailer and turned Heath loose for a while. I had found a baseball while I mowed and we tossed it around a while then left.

If you look at the weed growing up between the overhead doors you will see how tall the whole lot was when I got there.

aa1.jpg

ON the way back home there was something happening at the main intersection. Lots of police and firetrucks at a bail bondsman office.  We managed to detour around it and got home.

I sat down for a minute and nursed my sore back while Heath ran around like a tornado.

At 350 (I lost track of time - ok I nearly fell asleep )we unloaded the Falcon and unhooked the trailer ( guy never showed up), and we were off again.

We met Steph at the school she works at and I deposited Heath in her care and headed off to Forest City.

A friend of Jared's had his tools. Before he had a change to pawn them I needed to get them back.

I told him I would be there at 430. I got on the highway and made a one hour drive in 30 minutes. There was one pretty bad wreck at a new bridge on the bypass that is under construction. Fortunately the police had it off the road and we got by easy enough.

I got there at 433. He wasn't there yet. He sent a text and asked if I was there and said he would head over.

Once I had Jared's tools I headed over to his Grandmothers house to get the last of his stuff. Since he is moving back to AZ (there is a 2000 Firebird that his mother bought him that I am fairly sure was the deciding factor in his going back) there was a lot of stuff he didn't take with him. I will have to box it up and get it shipped to him. IT took me an hour to get to her house. Then an hour back to my house.

Finally I came home. I am tired. I am sore. I am sitting on a heating pad. I wish I was 20 again.

• olcowhand, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 2 others have said thanks

#3238 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 07:50 PM

I wish you were too, cause that would mean I was young again too.
But then you'd be married to it again...
  • wvbuzzmaster and KennyP have said thanks

#3239 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15,301 Thanks
  • 8,621 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 09:38 PM

Nope married it at 26.
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#3240 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,601 Thanks
  • 7,325 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 05:24 AM

Doesn't bouncing around on the mowers bother your back ?