I got it running - then I broke it.
This morning we had to be up and running early. A friend of mine in Charlotte said he had a push mower he would give me that ran. I was going to steal the engine off it for the wheel trimmer.
So we left.
When we hit the road Steph told me the horn in CherryBerry wasn't working. I figured it was a blown fuse so we stopped at Autozone and I snagged some. Problem solved for a while. I think it has a short in it somewhere I need to find.
Then we ran across the road to BoJangles for biscuits.
An event-less drive to Charlotte and we got to Darryl's cigar shop. He wasn't there. I sent him a text and he said he would be there at noon. I guess plans changed. SO we went shopping.
First we went to Advance auto to get some spot mirrors that were smaller than what was on the truck. The PO had put huge spots on it and there was about 1 inch of usable mirror on it. A set of one inch spots in place of the 3 in ch ones and you could actually use the mirrors.
Then we went to Dollar General to look around and get a cell phone charger.
Darryl texted me back and said he was at the shop so we headed over.
He had a 6hp push mower that we loaded up in the truck and then harassed him a while. Then another event-less drive home.
I changed chothes and then went out. Steph had homework to finish.
I tossed a board across the tractor stand to make a push mower stand and then put Darryl's mower up to look at it. He told me the blade was bent so I pulled it off and then gave it a look over. I looked pretty good so I poured a little gas in it and pulled the rope. Nothing. Except that gas started pouring out a hole in the carb.
So it came down and I went and snagged the wheel trimmer and the push mower that didn't work. I was determined to get something running. A look at them and I saw they had almost the same carb on them. So I began to mix and match parts till I had one complete carb. I took the needle valve out of the non runner, and the bowl and put them on the trimmer. It didn't start.
I had to run to to Wal-mart for Brake clean and Seafoam. I seem to go thru a can of each on any mower repair.
While I was tinkering the neighbors brother came over and we talked while I worked. He is an older guy and is slipping a bit mentally so we got along just fine. LOL.
I checked for spark and I had none. SO the top came off the engine and I found a wasp nest inside. I also found a lot of rust on the flywheel and coil. Heath stood on the stand and watched me sand it down. He kept saying, "Get it clean".
Once I finally had spark I tried starting it again. I would fire over and attempted to start a couple of times but just couldn't get it all the way. I knew it had to be the carb. I looked at the carb off the push mower and saw it was in a bit better shape (the trimmer carb had a broken piece in the body that I couldn't see till I pulled it off) so I cleaned it real good and put it on. Then I couldn't figure out all the linkages. I took pictures but I still couldn't get it.
I came in and looked it up and found out that the push mower was a non throttle cable engine. The trimmer had a throttle cable. So if I was going to use the carb it had to be set up for no cable. I set it up and tried to start it and it would start for a few seconds and die.
Steph had dinner ready so I came in to eat and think. While I thought I looked online and found that the main jet has a tiny tiny jet in it. I went back out and sure enough that microscopic jet was plugged. I cleaned it with a single strand of copper wire.
After that we found it was pouring gas out of the bowl seal. So I cleaned up the other one as good as I could with Marvel Mystery Oil and put it on. It sealed.
After some tinkering and adjusting it started and ran. WOOHOOOO. I then attempted to engage the trimmer head. It died. Like a dummy I started it a bunch more times and got the same result. I told Steph to see if the head was turning. IT was locked up.
A bit of persuasion and it began to turn a little. Some MMO and a few taps with a hammer and it turned all the way. It did not sound happy though. I got it freed up as much as I could and then we started the engine. It turned but sounded like it was flying apart.
The head assembly is severely rusted. As in it looks like the guy I got it from kept it in salt water.
A new head is $132. I only paid $10 for the whole thing. No way I am paying that much.
The bottom "sealed" bearing has no seal in it anymore. It was just exposed bearings that were rusted. We packed it full of high temp grease and then I fashioned a seal out of an old baby formula can that we kept to toss bolts and stuff in and siliconed it into place. I know it won't last long, but it might get my yard trimmed.
I was going to put the nut back on the spindle so I didn't' loose it. But fumble fingers me dropped it in the grass. A 30 minute search didn't turn it up. I will go to the store tomorrow.
Finally we turned off the big lights and came in. I feel like I accomplished something.