wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 24, 2015 - 08:57 PM

Did they have an explanation?

None so far. I left a picture and an explanation on their Facebook page. We will see what kind of response I get.

• olcowhand, MH81 and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#3212 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 10:21 AM

I have seen on the news the postal service just dumping packages on peoples lawn or throwing them on to the porches.  The problem probably isn't with Southwest buy Fed-EX.

#3213 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 12:40 PM

You already have had more satisfaction than I got most times my luggage went astray. At one time, I took the flight from Van. B.C. To Cowtown every week for 3 or 4 months leaving Van Monday morning and returning Friday night. The plane then went on to Frankfurt. Usually, the plane was on the taxi way waiting to take off when the last suitcase hit the carousel. About 1 time in 3 my laundry went to Germany without me. A couple times, my luggage hit the Hotel Wednesday or Thursday. At that time, AC coughed up some dough for clean clothes if it took them more than 24 hours to deliver lost bags. I spent a lot of AC money on work clothes from the discount store.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#3214 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 07:17 PM

Before long the parts engine will just be a pile of bolts.

This morning Heath and I got up and goofed off a good while.

toolbox.jpg

We had a massive brawl on the bed and ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Then we had to get some work done.

We went out to the Falcon and got to work. He stayed right with me most of the time watching what I did.

First I pulled the tins off to see how bad the mud on the engine was. It was pretty bad but not bad enough to be causing overheating.

I checked the plugs and one had not been firing. I investigated and found this.

IMG_20150825_151916383.jpg

Which I soon changed to this.

IMG_20150825_152631564.jpg
(crappy pic - I tool an end off of an old spark plug and put it on.)

Why can't they make changeable spark plug wires on small engine coils?

After that I got it to spit and sputter but not start.

Played with the choke and throttle and got it to run badly. It died after a few seconds and would not restart.

I pulled the coil off the parts engine and tried it. No change. It had a little better spark, but that was all. 

I poked and played around. Heath got bored and went to Spooky and crawled up in the engine bay and spun the fan for a while.

Finally I asked him if he wanted a PB&J and a cold drink. He beat me in the house.

Steph sent me a text that she was on the way home. We waited in inside till she showed up. I had asked her to stop by autozone and get a fuel shut off since the one I bought the other day and run off and hid. She got home and told me they didn't have any.

We all went out and right off the bat I dropped a wrench. Steph bend down under the tractor to get it and said there was a puddle of fuel. Since I have no sense of smell at all ( honestly it has to nearly knock a normal human down for me to smell it - my superpower). I saw a tiny trail of gas on the carb and turned the key while I watched it. It was coming out of the shaft for the choke.

I figured the carb was shot so I went to the "wasn't supposed to be" parts engine and pulled the whole intake off. The gasket on the right side came off clean.

I pulled the carb off the Falcon and the left side gasket came off clean. I was in business.

With the carb on and hooked up I turned the key. It instantly came to life.  Eureka!

I drove it around an loaded it up on Christine. A friend borrowed my trailer so this was it.

IMG_20150825_180254657_HDR.jpg
Heath had to inspect the load.

Then I carefully drove down to the car wash. $1.75 later and it looked like an engine again.

IMG_20150825_184142222.jpg

I stopped at Auto-zone on the way home. They had fuel shut offs. I bought one and headed home.

I had Steph help me back the Falcon off the truck and then she drove it around so we could put the tins back on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150825_180250376_HDR.jpg

• olcowhand, wvbuzzmaster, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#3215 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 02:17 PM

I was so aggravated last night I forgot to post anything. So here is yesterday.

testerday.jpg

Heath and I had a good day. We goofed off and tinkered in the and did a lot of nothing. When Steph got home we used CherryBerry to move the big trailer. Then I sent her and Heath inside and I started mowing with the Falcon.

It ran great for about 30 minutes. Then it wanted to run away. It was going well past 5000 rpm I kept chopping the throttle to slow it down. When it was in tall grass it was fine, but when you got in a clear spot it would run away.

I pulled it around back and adjust it and it seemed to run fine. For about 45 minutes.

I shut it down and heard a horrific noise from the mower deck. The star that aligned the left hand blade was gone and it was banging into the middle blade. Crap.

I put it up on the ramps and attempted to take the mandrel off. The vibrations had weakened the bolts and all three of them snapped off as soon as I put the socket on them.

I finally got the thing off and came in. I swear I am going to park it as far from the Hemorrhoid as I can from now on.

• olcowhand, MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#3216 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 06:06 PM

About ready to throw in the towel.

Heath and I went down and got the part for the mower deck this afternoon then came back and in stalled it.

I have trued everything I know to do and I can't get this thing running right. I am about ready to park it in the yard and plant flowers on it.

It is really frustrating because I used to be able to do this stuff blindfolded, but since that head injury back in 2000 I can't get it right.

I am done for a while. I have no idea how I am going to manage to cut the grass. I guess I will take a shot at adjusting the valves on Jareds little mower and see if I can mow with it.

Unless the tractor fairy comes and fixes it I will be taking it to a shop and see what they can do with it.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#3217 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 06:17 AM

Just over revving, Or are there other symptoms?

#3218 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 06:26 AM

Have you checked the governor arm to see if it came loose?

#3219 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 09:22 PM

What a difference a day makes....

I got in touch with JacobD last night and asked he he could help me with the Falcon. I really hate asking for help with something like that, but with the smushed branial matter it gets necessary at times. He told me a couple of things to look at. When he said them I felt stupid for not checking them.

Well this morning I got up dreading how high the grass might have gotten overnight.

tall_coffee_drink.png

After downing a bunch of coffee I toddled outside. And no joy on the Falcon. I had the online manual and it didn't help me any. It had spark. It had fuel. It would backfire and deafen me, but it would not run.

So I did the smart thing. I quit. I texted Jacob and begged for help. He said he could come later.

We looked down in the field and saw two young does standing. We had to restrain Gunner from going after them. I tried to get a picture, but they didn't want to pose and ran off.

We hooked the trailer up to CherryBerry and we rolled off to Tim's house to get the Craftsman mower of mine that has been there for a while. I know it needed a coil and thought I might have one. LilBits came with us.

As we pulled out of the drive I noticed the tank was on empty. I asked her why she had not put gas in it. She said I had all the money. Some excuse.

We got the Craftsman and then headed down to Advance to get a feeler gauge. I had Steph pick one up for me last week and she came home with one that was about an inch long. I didn't know they made them so tiny. It didn't have the size I needed in it.

Once we had the gauges we started over towards BoJangle's since Heath was in the back seat yelling "Bites bites bites".

And the truck stalled. I got it to start again. Ran one red light that had no one coming for about 4 miles and coasted into the gas station. 19 gallons later and she started right up and rolled on.

We went to BoJangle's and ordered. Then we pulled around to the window. There were 3 vehicles in front of us. After 10 minutes I said no way and left. No one had moved. We drove across the road to Taco Bell, placed our order, drove around, 4 cars in front of us got their order, and then the car we had been behind at BoJangles was just at the window.

I didn't have a definate plan so I kind of bounced around a bit from one thing to another.

We got home and I started looking at the three Snappers. One had the valves way out of whack. I adjusted them and got it to pop off then it started spraying fuel out of the exhaust. Probably not a good sign. The next one that the guy swore up and down ran had no starter we started tinkering with it, but the starter holes were gacked up with mud and I couldn't find my tap. The third one had no exhaust on it and when I pulled the plug it poured out rusty water.

I went over to Jareds tractor and pulled the valve cover off. Gas poured out of it. Not good. I didn't go any further.

I stopped and sent Steph over to pull the engine cover off the Craftsman. Once it was off I realized I didn't have that style coil. I also realized that the starter bolts were missing. That was my fault. I took them off who knows when ago and lost them. They were not the same as any other starter bolts I have.

Then I hauled a Kholer single cylinder out of the tractor shed and nearly killed myself carrying it by stepping in a hole the dog dug.

We got it set up on two 2x4s on top of the burn barrel and I started playing with it. We rigged up a gas tank and hot wired the anti fire valve and then hooked it up to jumper cables. I had it in a bear hug to keep it from leaving. It started. It ran pretty good for a few seconds then the exhaust overwhelmed me and I couldn't breathe and had to shut it off.

I was unsure what to do next so we came inside.

After sitting a bit I had an idea. The fuel pump on the Kholer on the Craftsman looked a lot like the one on the Briggs on the Hemorrhoid. So I went out and looked. They are identical. So I swapped it over. The Hemorrhoid started.

Then we used it to drag the Bush Hog mower out of the weeds. The Honda engine on it was FUBAR. So Steph and I took it off.

Once we got it off I saw that the clutch was rusted apart. It will have to have a new one.

Then I carted the Kholer over and we checked the mounting holes out with the plate of the bush hog. They matched up. But the bolt holes on the engine are gacked up with dirt dobber nests.

About that time I heard a a familiar sounding Honda come in the driveway.

Jacob looked at the mower and finally figured out what was wrong with it and got it running. I am not sure what all he did. I am sure he undid everything I did to it. LOL. I got an important phone call and had to take it. He figured it out while I was talking.

After he resurrected the Falcon we talked a bit then he headed home. 

I came in with about 4000000000 bugs and sat down. I am tired.

• olcowhand, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 1 other said thanks

#3220 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 05:29 AM

Glad the Falcon is going again!

#3221 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 11:06 AM

A thousand points to Jacob!  I learned a long time ago that sometimes when you have a problem and you've hit a dead end it helps to be able to talk it over and even have another set of eyes take a look. 

• UncleWillie said thank you

#3222 jacobd OFFLINE  

jacobd
  • Member No: 17550
  • 49 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 03:07 PM

All we really did was swap some parts back to how it originally was. The only thing you didn't see me do was tap the gap smaller on the spark plugs cause I thought it looked too big. I didn't measure but the manual calls for .025" gap. Might want to pop them back out and make sure they're set correctly.

• olcowhand, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#3223 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 04:53 PM

So much stuff today.

This morning early my phone rang. Due to some family problems Jared was on his way to my house.

coffee.jpg

Once his uncles dropped him off he and I had a long talk about what was going on. Then when the air was cleared we headed outside.

Jared and I put the tins back on the Falcon and got her down off the stand.

He and Steph worked on picking up the back yard while I started mowing around front. I made a half a pass across the ditch and the Falcon sputtered and died. I was about to pull my hair out till I looked at the fuel filter and it was empty. Jared towed be around back with the Hemorrhoid. I didn't think we had any gas so I told him to toss the can in the back of Christine. When he picked it up it had about a gallon and a half in it. With that in the tank it fired right up and went back to mowing.

Once the front was cut Steph pulled the trucks around front and I mowed the back. I ran out of gas again. Not surprising since I had a jungle to mow. So Heath and I ran off to get gas while Steph and Jared moved a few things out to where I had already mowed.

I got back and filled it up and went off again. I got it almost all done and I made my last turn on the main part of the yard and it stopped. Not the engine. The tractor stopped like it hit a brick wall. I looked under it and the drive belt was in ribbons.

So I cam in for a minute to look online and see who had one.

TSC in Lincolnton had the best price so we all piled in CherryBerry and headed off.

We looked around and left with the belt, a bag of dog food, and a bag of rabbit feed. Then we went to Aldi's so Steph could get a couple things she needed. We came home and my wallet was empty.

Jared and I got the Falcon up on the stand with the help of the Hemorrhoid and set to work on the belt. I am glad we put it up on the stand because I would have never seen the problem otherwise. A stick the perfect size to fit in the clutch pulley got jammed in it. The belt just shredded itself on the stick and finally the Kevlar strings wrapped around the transmission pulley and stopped everything.

Once the belt was in it came down and I started off. I soon realized that I had something wrong. It had to be shut off to shift gears. I thought the belt may be too small and I only had two passes to make to be done so I did them.

With all the grass slain I turned my attention to the belt. I couldn't see anything wrong so Jared and I pulled the deck off. With my head up under the tractor I saw the problem. I missed one guide pin. The belt had an inch and a half of slack that it wasn't using. Once that was right and the deck was back on Jared drove it around and it shifted just fine.

Then Jared and I went to see what we could do with the Bush hog.

The clutch that was on the old engine was rusted in pieces. I was thinking about a go kart clutch for it. Last night when I was looking for one online I ran across a picture of an electric pto clutch. Well, says I, ain't that a peach. I had two of them in the shed.

So we first checked to see if it would fit on the Kholer shaft. It did. Then I had Steph go get the taps because I was sitting on the ground and I didn't want to work hard enough to get up. With the dirt dobber guts all tapped out of the mounting holes we mounted it on the plate loosely with two bolts and then tied the PTO to it with some rope because I didn't have  bolt long enough to work.

IMG_20150830_170614242_HDR.jpg

With that set on the bush hog we could see that we needed an extra 2 inches of lift on the engine to make up for the different way the clutch was made. The old clutch had the pulley on the top. The PTO is on the bottom.

You can kinda sorta see in this picture the difference in the pulleys.

IMG_20150830_170606597_HDR.jpg

I sat and figured a while till I came up with a way to mount it. Now I need dig up a couple pieces of 1/8 inch steel.

Finally we picked up tools and left it for the night.

IMG_20150830_170454975.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150830_170454975 (1).jpg

• olcowhand, MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#3224 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 05:31 PM

Well after a busy day yesterday we did nothing today.

While I was mowing yesterday I found one of Carmel's monster doggie holes and dropped a tire in it. I woke up this morning rather sore and not really wanting to do anything - so I didn't.

coffeetherapy.jpg

Jared had a problem with his moms family. He did something he should not have done. They over reacted in massive proportion and his uncles threw him out of his grandmothers house. I man not sure how that works. If I tried to throw someone out of my moms house you would never hear from me again.

So now he is deciding on whether he wants to stay here or go back to AZ. Lots of phone calls have been made. He needs to decide by tomorrow morning or I am going to drag him kicking and screaming to the school and enroll him by force. I am still bigger than he is.

Heath has had a ball playing with Jared. I welcomed the help keeping an eye on him for the day.

• olcowhand, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 1 other said thanks

#3225 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 08:38 PM

Sat around and did n't do much till I took jared to the airport. Now I have a monster headache. Going to bed.

• olcowhand and MH81 have said thanks