• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 09:32 PM

Maybe Tony can work on your truck since you worked on his and he is obviously a crack mechanic.
  • Craig. said thank you

#3182 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 10:06 AM

Tony is the tire guy. He is slower than frozen tar. Although he might get it work done faster than I have been going.

Buddy is a great tile guy. Does the best work I have ever seen anyone do. He is a one trick pony though. He does tile and tile only.

• MH81 and Craig. have said thanks

#3183 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 10:11 PM

Busy couple of days.

behind-every-successful-person-is-a-substantial-amount-of-coffee-quote-1.jpg

Thursday Steph had her orientation for her student teaching. Since she had the truck Heath and I goofed off all day.

Friday I woke up and Steph was gone. She had a friend who had surgery and was going up to visit. I thought she had taken Heath with her. I was piddling around the house and basically doing not much and I spilled some coffee at about 1pm. I went and got a towel out of the dryer and cleaned it it. I kept hearing a noise but I thought it was on TV. When a commercial came on and I still heard it I went to investigate. Heath was locked in his bedroom. Oops.

I made him a PB&J and he inhaled it.

Steph got a nice check for a scholarship and we did some talking about replacing Christine. At almost 600k it old girl is tired. I looked on CL and found a beautiful 93 S10 Blazer and we went down and took a look at it. The truck needed some little things done to it, but was a good enough deal so we bought it.

0813151731.jpg

We left there and headed over to Best Buy to get a printer. She has needed one for her school and ours died.

She drove Christine and I drove the Blazer. When we got to Best Buy the Blazer was over heating. Not too badly but just barely. When we left I turned on the heater to get to to cool down faster but it wouldn't blow any heat.

We stopped at Arby's and let it cool off while we ate. I went back out and opened the hood. As I poked around I noticed that it looked like it had saltwater sprayed all over the lower parts of the engine. I also noticed the water pump, fan blade, and fan clutch were all brand new. The fan looked way too small. I opened the hood on Christine and saw that it was the same size as the fan on the 2.8. Well that explained some of it.

After putting more water in it we headed home. It was getting up to 230 degrees when we got home but it made it. I parked it and came in to give the problem some thought.

I did some research and found that the fan that was supposed to be on it was an 18 inch fan that is NLA. A search of Pull a Parts inventory showed 1 93 Blazer.

So this morning I got up and headed up to Charlotte. The truck up there had the fan. So I snagged it and looked around for other stuff. I found nothing else I couldn't live without so I went to check out. The line was forever long. They only had one cashier. While standing in line I got to talking to a guy. We started to talk about Dexcool and he said it left calcium deposits inside engines. A short time later a light bulb went on in my head. The stuff on the engine was not salt water. It was calcium deposits from DexCool.

Finally I headed home.

I pulled the drain on the radiator in the Blazer, I pulled off the breather and found there was no air filter in it. GRRRRRR. Then we hooked the trailer up to Christine and left.

We drove up to Vale and got 3 RER Snappers for $25 each. I think I can make one out of them and sell it for a good profit. Also got a 17hp opposed twin Briggs engine and a Mazda Pickup transmission.

We stopped at Autozone on the way home and got some radiator flush, antifreeze, and oil change stuff.  They didn't have an air filter for it.

Back at home I set to work on the Blazer. First I swapped the fans. ON the bottom is the 18 inch fan that belongs on it. ON the top is the little 2.8l fan.

IMG_20150815_175448222.jpg

When I pulled off the fan shroud I found that the radiator had been worked on by a local shop. It had a tag on it.

Then I pulled the thermostat housing. No thermostat. Well.

I flushed the system and drained it the first time and lots of gunk came out.

LilBIts had made herself at home in the back seat.

IMG_20150815_190411653.jpg

I started to investigate why the heater did not work and I found that the heater core was bypassed. We hooked the garden hose up to it and it did not leak. So I hooked it back up.

After the second flush I let it run a long time and it never over heated.

I think what happened was this. At some point a genius put Dexcool in it. The Dexcool ate the water pump fins and made it over heat. Then they started throwing money at it. The owner replaced the water pump and fan clutch and when they couldn't find the right blade the put the smaller one on it. IT continued to overheat so they had the radiator worked. IT kept overheating and they disconnected the heater core. When that didn't work they sold it.

Maybe not the right order of events, but it was something like that.

After it was all together I needed to test drive it. Steph said it was too late to cook dinner so we were having leftovers. I told her we could go to WaffleHouse. She liked that idea.

We drove up to Lincolnton and went to Lowe's to get some keys made. Then to the gas station to fill it up and run it through the car wash to take the calcium off the paint.

IN the car wash whatever he shined the truck up with washed off. I will wax it tomorrow. I like waxing cars.

At Waffle House we all ate too much. Heath is up to half a waffle on his own.

We ran by Walmart to grab a couple of things and finally got home. Heath is worn out.  Steph and I are too.

• MH81, wvbuzzmaster, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#3184 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 11:01 PM

Nice looking blazer. Always loved those years. Dad had a 2 door one. Don't remember the year but it was a 2.8 5 speed. He drove it for a long time.
  • Craig. said thank you

#3185 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 11:13 PM

We had a '93 4door S-10 Blazer years ago, ours had the 4.3V6, motor had plenty of power, what motor  is in yours?

#3186 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 11:21 PM

This one is a 4.3l vortec. After driving Christine with the tiny 2.8 it is a powerhouse. 

• Craig., KennyP and adamjd200 have said thanks

#3187 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 05:56 AM

I'm not a fan of Dex- Cool but the vehicles that I have it in I change every 5 years . The 2005;Blazer we got for my wife had 120 k and the coolant looked like mud , the garage in town has a flushing machine so he did that when it got the state inspection . Hers is a two door too and sure makes it easy turning around in the driveway ! Good Luck with it
  • Craig. said thank you

#3188 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 06:35 AM

Dex cool, is that that yellow garbage they keep trying to sell me?
Nice ride, glad you got it figured out.

#3189 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 01:39 PM

This one is a 4.3l vortec. After driving Christine with the tiny 2.8 it is a powerhouse. 

Exact same motor we had, been told it's basically a 350vortec minus the back two cylinders.

• Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#3190 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 03:47 PM

I think yesterdays run-athon wore us all out.

We all slept in this morning.

After we were all awake and fed we ventured outside.

doit.jpg

I got Steph started on an oil change in the Blazer and I headed off to AutoZone.  LilBits went with me.

I got the temperature sending unit and a thermostat and headed back.

Steph had not been able to get the oil filter off but other than that she was done. I changed the filter and then we tossed in the thermostat and sensor. It fired up with no leaks so I turned my attention to the AC. The guy we got it from said it needed oil so I put a can in it. It blows pretty cold.

I took it for a test ride and it never attempted to overheat. No leaks. No rattles.

Then we gave it a wash in Simple Green, followed by a wash with Dawn dish detergent. Heath had to have a towel so he could help.

Once I was satisfied all the DexCool was off it I got the chamois out and dried it.

cbb4.jpg

Steph and I spent an hour waxing it . IT shines pretty good now.

cherryberry.jpg

I think it will make her an excellent replacement for the aging Christine.

• MH81, wvbuzzmaster, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#3191 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 04:43 PM

Looks great!

Has this ride been given a name yet?

#3192 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 07:44 PM

I am calling it CherryBerry in honor of the NC Commissioner of Labor w you see in every elevator in the state.  I saw her picture so much when I worked security that I felt like she was a family member LOL.

It is Stephanies truck, but she named my truck so I guess it is my turn to name hers.

• Craig. said thank you

#3193 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 09:40 PM

I thought I was doing nothing today. I was wrong.

Steph left for her student teaching before Heath and I were out of bed.

When I got up I had a text from Graham saying he wanted to borrow the Falcon. I told him no problem. After I got Heath fed and the coffee going...

085100-3.jpg

..I looked out the window so I could tell Graham where the Falcon was parked. I didn't see it anywhere. I went out and walked around the house and didn't see it. I sent Steph a text not knowing if she could answer or not. I was just getting ready to call the police to report it stolen when I remembered that Steph went down in the field to get a tire last week. I walked to the top of the hill and there it was. Since I didn't have the key with me I just sent a Graham a text telling him where it was.

Heath and I were watching racing videos when Graham came and got it. About 30 minutes later I got a text that the Falcon had died and would not restart.

Heath and I walked across the street and took a look. I was really scratching my head till I pulled the dipstick and it was full up to the top. It smelled like pure gasoline. So I walked over and got Christine and dragged the Falcon home.

Graham said he would help me but since he doesn't know where any of the tools are I told him I would wait till Steph got home.

Finally, CherryBerry came in the driveway. After a little while we went out and got the tractor stand moved and pulled the Falcon up on top.

I wasn't sure of the exact problem till I pulled the fuel pump (my first experience with a cam operated pump on a mower) and the back side was covered in fuel.

We went to the building and got he pump of the 20HP Kholer that I saved several years ago and put it on.

I also stole the oil filter off the spare engine because everywhere was closed that might have one.

The oil that came out was mostly gas.

With it all put back together the Falcon fired right up then came off the stand. If course the drive belt came off. SO I put it back on. Started it up and let off the clutch. It came off again. The third time was the charm and it drove away under its own power.

Now I need a fuel pump, starter, and governor linkage for the 20 HP. If I keep stealing parts off it I will need a new engine.

• olcowhand, wvbuzzmaster, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#3194 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 10:24 PM

You keep doing "nothing", you're going to wear yourself out
  • Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#3195 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 03:26 PM

Stuff going on.

Things went smoothly this morning for a while. I drank coffee and played Need for Speed. Heath drank juice and played monster trucks.

eeeeeee.png

After a while I heard a blood curdling scream followed closely by a small person running in the office with a bloody hand.

I quickly determined ti was his left index finger and I wrapped it up in a hand towel and carried him in the bedroom.

After I grabbed the first aid kit I tried to put a band-aid on it but it would not stick. I wrapped a bandaid tightly around the base of his finger to stop the blood flow so I could see what was going on. He had two cuts. One on each side of his finger. While I had the blood stopped i grabbed some gauze and wrapped it up and secured it. Then I removed the tourniquet band-aid.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg

A judicious application of chocolate chip cookies calmed the crying.

Then I found what happened. He put his finger in momma rats cage. She is very protective of her babies.The cage was nearly int eh floor I imagine she had a hold on his finger and was not letting go.

While I was playing doctor the dogs had been going nuts outside. I opened the front door and looked out and found a box.

eeeeeeeeeee.jpg

Woohooo.

After things calmed down Heath brought me a broken Monster truck. I operated. Nearly lost the patient twice, but I revived him.

http://imgur.com/a/ZBjiX#2

Once Batman was repaired we watched the Lone Ranger until the mail ran.

eeeeee.jpg

Maybe the Falcon will cut everything now.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks