Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 11:04 PM

I would watch that Dodge Intrepid, my son has a 2003 and we took it in for a water pump, $1,533.00 later it now has a major oil leak. Dealer is saying it is a front main seal, and a check engine code for the third solnoid relay. I read the code before taking to the dealer and it said the canistor or gas cap. We took it back under waranty for the water pump, but it is sounding like they want to soak me more.

Edited by larrybl, February 16, 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#302 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 11:06 PM

The Dodge Decrepit will be disassembled and crushed. No Mopars last long around here.

#303 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 07:02 AM

William, do you ever have a day when things go RIGHT for you and the Mrs?  I give you lots of credit for keep-on-keepin-on when things go to crap for you.  

#304 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 10:49 AM

Things going sideways are part of the fun. If everything went perfect it would get boring.

• HDWildBill and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#305 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 11:02 AM

Things going sideways are part of the fun. If everything went perfect it would get boring.

There definitely is a lot of truth in what you said Uncle Willie!  Overcoming such problems is also rewarding in that you know you can get through most anything, and that my friend is priceless!  :thumbs:

• HDWildBill, bgkid2966 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#306 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 06:56 PM

Nice and easy day today.

We took it easy till about 1 then we went out to look at the problem with the BlackBeast. After I got it up on jack stands I found that the tire that locked up had a big flat spot on it.

After judicious use of a hammer and pry bar I managed to get the stuck brake drum off. It appears that a piece of rubber got in there and melted. The Wheel cylinder was stuck too. I pulled the drivers side apart too and found that the wheel cylinder on that side was leaking.

After some consideration on how to clean the drum I came up with an ingenuous solution. I turned the drum backwards and put it back on the hub. Steph turned the drum while I used the die grinder and a scotch brite pad to clean it up. Then I took a piece of sandpaper and made sure it was all smooth.

I know my friends financial situation and they could not afford new drums. The brake shoes look good so I scuffed them with the sandpaper to get the glazing off of them and they look perfect.

Grand total for the repair will be about $40 including the tire, which I just happen to have. They will be ecstatic to have their car back.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#307 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 07:01 PM

sounds like a fun day yesterday in class helped a class mate put new drum shoes an hardware on his pt crusier not fun at all but easy

#308 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 07:02 PM

I have done similar myself Willie, and it works fine.  Last time was a chewed up disc brake rotor on front wheel drive.  I needed it repaired right then and no time to go to town to get a new one, so I turned the rotor around (back side was the side chewed up), and with both drive wheels off the ground, I started the car & let it spin while I used an angle grinder to smooth it up.  I finished with a rotary air sander & it left it smooth as could be.  It worked so well that I never had to replace the rotor!

• HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#309 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 07:28 PM

Daniel I actually thought about jacking up the front end and doing that, but this worked. Saving them over $100 in parts makes me feel good.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#310 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 07:31 PM

Daniel I actually thought about jacking up the front end and doing that, but this worked. Saving them over $100 in parts makes me feel good.

You do a lot of good deeds my friend!  It feels good when people truly need help, and not just to take advantage of you.

• bgkid2966 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#311 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Well today I was awesome.

Well actually I am awesome every day, but today I was really awesome. They kind of awesome that makes people sing folk songs about me.

And it was a pretty awesome day.

On a measly 4 hours of sleep I trundled out the door with my thermos under my arm and my hat on my head to finish up the Black Beast. It wasn't difficult except that my bear paws don't quite fit in the tiny space the wheel cylinder bolts go in.

While I was doing that my buddy Reid dropped by to bring me a plow.

2013-02-18_18-34-41_356_zps99e35c23.jpg

It is a 3 point Sears plow. I don't have the numbers off it yet. He also brought some misc parts for the Onan. He is pretty happy with our trade for the non working Plasma cutter and so am I.

Steph brought Heath out and put him in his swing then set about loading up all the 14 inch tires we had on rims so I could take them to the tire shop. And she took the front tires off of the Dodge Decrepit and put them in the truck along with the flat spotted tires off the Beastie.

I headed down to the tire shop and was a bit dismayed when I got there that the lazy guy was working. If I had had to wait for him it would have taken 2 days to get the job done. While I unloaded the truck he managed to get one tire broke off the rim.

When I got through unloading a truck pulled in that needed 4 tires changed. I told him to go ahead and get the truck. About that time, Rick, the good worker, came in. It was his day off. Lazy guy had to leave to go get his kids at school. I helped Rick get the tires changed on the customers truck then he and I spent about 30 minutes breaking all my tires off and swapping the Decrepit tires to the BlackBeasts rims.

Came home and remembered that I forgot to bleed the brakes so we took about 20 minutes to get that done.

Heath supervised the operation while he munched on Pam’s air freshener. Oh well she has more.

2013-02-18_16-21-12_39_zpsb20954be.jpg

You can kinda see his black eye where he climbed up on a toy and fell off last week.

Took the BlackBeast for a test drive and it stops with a vengeance now.

So we cleaned everything up, tossed all the steel rims in the back seat of the Decrepit so it can go to the crusher tomorrow.

Called Buddy and Pam to come get their car. They came up and brought me a big round table – now I need some knights.

Didn't get to attempting to fabricate heat shields for the BlueOx, but I got plenty done.

Video is uploading to YouTube as we speak.

Grand total for their repair $45

Yeah, I am just that awesome.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, February 18, 2013 - 07:29 PM.

• olcowhand, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#312 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 07:42 PM

Awesome is as awesome does.....and you did awsomely!   That should be an 8" plow.

#313 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 09:19 PM

• Alc, KennyP, tractorgarden and 2 others have said thanks

#314 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,498 Thanks
  • 39,728 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 08:52 AM

I like your brake spreader, that is cool! Glad you got the brakes fixed.

I have a plow similar to that 8". I'd like to find another to make a 2 Bottom for the FF! Yeah, the tires are a bit wide for an 8" furrow, but it would still look cool!

#315 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 09:14 AM

Willy, is there a reason why you replaced the wheel cylinders instead of just rebuilding them?