UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 04:04 PM

Good news. The BlueOx is home and resting comfortably in the carport.

After crawling all over the truck trying to chase down wiring without the right wiring diagram the Chevy dealership finally came through. My truck falls into an unusual category of being half 94 and half 95. It is OBDII with an OBD I connector. It has a 94 engine and a 95 transmission. Odd bird indeed.

This morning Christine and I got to the shop at 8am. Turns out that they open at 9. So I went and had breakfast at Sonic.

When Mike arrived at 9 we spent some time going over the wiring and then the phone rang with the news of the right diagram. Within 15 minutes of printing it out we had the problem located.

2013-02-15_10-35-25_947_zps9a3a1407.jpg
2013-02-15_10-35-32_17_zps9c081b0c.jpg

One of the wiring connectors to the ignition switch had a bad day. The two bare wires were actually twisted and touching. After a few phone calls we located a replacement connector and I took a ride to Hickory to pick it up.

I got back to the shop and Mike was gone to lunch so I just helped myself to his tools and fixed it.

The constant running fuel pump problem was due to a bad oil pressure sending unit.

While dragging Christine home a miss developed in the engine. I have a feeling that a plug wire is touching something or a plug is fouled.

Now I am waiting for her to cool off so I can take a look.

Huge special thanks to DougT. He did his best to point me in the right direction on the wiring harness. I also have his super secret phone number which I will be auctioning off in the future. LOL

• HDWildBill, backwoods and oldedeeres have said thanks

#288 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 04:08 PM

GOOD DEAL at last!  Glad you finally got that nightmare figured out!

#289 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 15, 2013 - 04:54 PM

I didn't know how boring my routine was until I started reading this thread.  :thumbs:

• Craig. said thank you

#290 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 05:14 PM

Glad the BlueOx is finally healthy again and ready to go to work.

#291 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 05:37 PM

Glad to hear you got it all sorted.  I'm not quite sure I'm all the way up to speed.  Are you thinking this latest find is what set the whole chain of events in motion?  Or are you thinking this is why replacing the complicated plug didn't fix everything?

#292 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 07:42 PM

Glad you finally got it fixed. Electric troubles can be a big pain.

#293 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 07:56 PM

I spent some time looking for the miss this afternoon. At some point some PO thought they were smarter than GM and took the heat shields off the exhaust manifolds. The plug wires that I put on a couple of months back are cooked. I touched the #1 wire down on the plug and it crumbled in my hand. I pulled a wire off of another truck and swapped it for the disintegrated one. I was smart enough to not touch the rest. So I will be searching for a set of heat shields for a big block.

Finally hooked the trailer back up to the BlueOx and pointed her toward Charlotte. We hit 85 north and I was so glad I wasn't headed south. IT was backed up for over 12 miles.

We arrived at a house in a very cramped and crowded neighborhood and picked up a 99 Dodge Intrepid. Just got back home.

Man it was good to drive the Ox again with out everything going haywire.

• olcowhand, KennyP, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#294 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 08:54 PM

Glad to hear things are going your way and the Ox is performing well!

#295 JRJ ONLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 09:27 PM

Stay tuned for the next chapter of the BlueOx's adventures.

Dick

• KennyP said thank you

#296 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 11:21 PM

You have waaay too much patience for a sane man, Willie, I'd have introduced that wiring problem to dynamite a while ago!! Congratulations on your perseverance.

#297 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 12:58 PM

Glad to hear you got it all sorted.  I'm not quite sure I'm all the way up to speed.  Are you thinking this latest find is what set the whole chain of events in motion?  Or are you thinking this is why replacing the complicated plug didn't fix everything?

IT is kind of a chicken and egg situation. I don't know which caused which. I know that the firewall plug is suitable to damage if something is dropped on it and I have never seen the ignition plug wires twisted like those were so who knows which was the cause. All I know is I am glad it is fixed.

You have waaay too much patience for a sane man, Willie, I'd have introduced that wiring problem to dynamite a while ago!! Congratulations on your perseverance.

Who ever said I was sane???

#298 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 01:00 PM

Who ever said I was sane???

Nobody did!   And besides, what fun would that be???  :smilewink:

#299 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 01:43 PM

I_Don_t_Suffer_From_Insanity_Insert.jpg

Edited by mybigwarwagon, February 16, 2013 - 01:43 PM.

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#300 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 10:09 PM

What a day.

Woke up at 7am and it was pouring rain so I did what any responsible adult would do. I went back to sleep.

When I awoke the rain had stopped and there were things to be done. Chiefly the drinking of coffee.

After a my caffeine infusion Steph and I went out to load up garbage in her truck and unload the Dodge Decrepit I mean Intrepid that we picked up last night. Didn't take up long to load up the trash on her little trailer and for me to move the tractors that were where I was going to unload the car.

I didn't feel like wrestling with the ramps and had decided to just back the trailer down the berm off the end of the driveway and let the car roll off. I told Steph to get inside the car and hold the brakes till I told her to let go.

As soon as the trailer started down the hill the car started moving. It dove off the back of the trailer. I got out of the truck and asked her why she didn't hold the brake. She said she was. I looked behind the car and only the spare tire we had taken out of her truck when we loaded the garbage up had stopped the car from hitting the camper. Got lucky.

Then I tried to pull the BlueOx forward. It wouldn’t budge. The trailer had sunk in the mud and anchored it. We hooked Christine up and pulled her out.

After a stop for fuel we headed down to Shelby to get my friends car, the BlackBeast, that the rear brakes were frozen on.

About 3 minutes away from the gas station it started to snow.

I turned on my wipers.

Nothing happened.

After feeling my way into the trash collection center I stopped and tried to diagnose the wiper problem while Steph started unloading.. I couldn't find the problem.

So we unloaded her truck and then I wiped the snow off my windshield and carefully followed her to my friends house about 2 miles away. We had our 2 way radios and she was talking me through not killing anyone.

We finally got there at 10 MPH and I went inside to look up the wiring diagram on the internet. Their computer was so screwed up it took me 30 minutes to get the schematic.

Back out in the snow I couldn't find anything wrong with the wiring so I took the spare light bulb for my strobe light and made a redneck test light. Turns out the motor is dead. The short probably killed it.

By now snow was falling in huge wet flakes and I was drenched. Steph had borrowed a raincoat from our friend so she was all happy and dry. The cold didn't bother me much it was just uncomfortable.

So I decided to go ahead and load the BlackBeast up. The front went on just fine Since it was a front wheel drive that was easy. The back tire on the passengers side hit the ram and took the ramp with it. The ramp fell off the trailer. The car was sitting on the ramp. Trying to back the car up a little and the ramp went with it. So I took a strap and hooked the ramp to the front of the trailer and tried to back the car up. The trailer had enough snow on it that the car wouldn't move. We hooked Christine to the back of the car and pulled it backwards off the ramp. Then got the ramp back under the car and hooked a strap to the ramp and to Christine. Then we got the car to drive up on the trailer.

The snow stopped.

Then I went inside to look at the computer. It was a disaster. He had been told to install a program called SuperAntiSpyware. Turns out it is a great way to get viruses. After wrestling with removing that and McAfee and Norton and a ton of other junk programs I finally got AVG and Anti-Malwarebytes to down load.

Within the first 5 minutes of running Malware had found 250 problems and AVG had found 4 viruses. I left it scanning and told them to call me when it finished.

He had been at work all day and his wife had told me that I was going to have to tell him about the computer. When he came in I gave him a lecture about loading junk software. He surprisingly agreed with me and said he would not do it again. I was ready for a fight.

Finally we started home and about 4 miles down the road Steph called me. The little trailer had a flat tire. Of course she had taken the spare out of her truck.. I went back and got her. We went home and dropped the trailer with the BlackBeast on it and grabbed the spare and headed back to Christine. The temperature was dropping fast.

My back was done for so she changed the tire. She put the lug nuts up on the wet trailer fender and they froze there. The lug studs froze too so it was fun to get the nuts back on.

Finally we got finished. Christine was stuck in the mud. So I returned her earlier favor and pulled her up on the pavement.

As we almost got home she called me on the radio and asked if I had any cash. She forgot to get dog food. I told her she would have to follow me home to get my wallet because I couldn't carry Heath in.

so now I have a glass of Makers Mark and she is gone to the store.

Not a bad day for a Saturday that started late.

• olcowhand, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks