UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 07:30 PM

Last night at 1030 I sent Stepha  message that I was going to bed ( remember she is in VA). I watched a video. THen another - then it was 4am. Geesh.

SO this morning I got a call from Grady that he was coming to get his Exploder out of the yard at 12. I staggered around and made coffee and found some clothes and was actually outside before he got here.

mondaycoffee.jpg

One we had the tires on the POS aired up I hooked the Hemorrhoid up to it and dragged it around front. He had borrowed a truck from his neighbor and used my tow dolly to take it to where he was trading it in.  Once he was gone I got to work on His tractor.

I thought it just needed bushings in the front end. When I pulled it apart I found this.

round.jpg

Fortunately for him I still have not taken the trailer of mower parts off to the scrap yard. So I went around and pulled the axle from the junker.

The sleeve that goes around the axle shaft was broken. The parts mower had a different one so I got out the wood burner that Steph has never used and did some plastic welding. It ain't pretty but it is in one piece.

welder.jpg

While I was installing it I saw a cable hanging loose on the mower deck. I got to looking and figured out it is for the blade brake. That explains the burning smell when it was mowing.  The one on the parts tractor is 2 inches too short.

Grady brought the dolly back and we talked a bit. Then I pulled a tarp over everything and called it a day.

After feeding all the animals and letting the dogs stretch their legs I was done.

A hot shower got most of the gunk off.

Steph's bank card came in so I activated it and paid all the bills. I am glad I don't have to run around with the checkbook tomorrow.

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2912 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 10:26 PM

An attempt will be made to write this entry without the use of the personal pronoun "I". Why? Because it is possible.

Well Christine lived up to her namesake today.

When my head hit the bed at 330 am it was still pouring rain.

When my eyes opened it was about 4000000000 degrees in the house The AC was turned on, and my sweaty carcass laid back down till it was cool enough to breathe.

christine.jpg

The news about the cop in SC who shot a fleeing man in the back was all over my news feeds. It is dumbfounding that things played out the way they did.

Outside work was started on Grady's tractor again. The mud made things a good bit slower.

The cable for the blade brake was installed, but with the cable on you cannot engage the blades.After a lot of playing and adjusting it works a bit smoother

Once that was done the front end started going back together. Time got away from me and soon it was 330. A guy in Sc had an engine and was waiting for me to come pick it up. OOps

Out in Christine there was no phone charger. Steph must have taken it to Va with her. The one from the BlueOx was plugged -  in nothing happened. Taking the dash apart revealed broken wires. Those got fixed and immediately a fuse blew when the charger was plugged in. A new fuse blew immediately too. Back in the BlueOx the charger would not work at all.

A search through the Ox turned up another charger. With that located everything was right and nearly an hour late we headed off to SC.

On the interstate we managed to make up some time. Although the thumping in the front end is back.That truck is cursed.

Money changed hands and a large lump of metal was deposited in the bed and the return trip started.

engine.jpg

Just inside of Charlotte my stomach began to tell me it had not been fed all day. So a stop a Wendy's netted a burger and fries and an hour later home came into sight.

Animals had to be fed and the engine needed to be covered. Carmel took that as an opportunity to escape. Diesel stayed home. She came back about 30 minutes later. IT must not be near as much fun without her playmate.

Whew that was brain taxing.

Edited by UncleWillie, April 08, 2015 - 10:26 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 3 others have said thanks

#2913 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 08:22 PM

Warm today. I was sweating.

This morning I didn't even get on the computer, I drank a cup of coffee then carried my thermos outside and got to work.

3days.jpg

I am moving a lot slower than I usually do, but I don't have any help so I can live with that.

I had to do a little more work on the blade brake then I got the front end put back together.

The grill had to be repaired.

Then I remembered the problem he brought it to me originally for  - it would not run without the choke. It also would not run at full throttle.

I came in an looked up the information in the briggs and stratton interactive repair manual I downloaded years ago.( no I don't know where to find it now. I looked)  It didn't help me out with the problem. So back outside to look at it some more. After about an hour if tinkering with it I wasn't finding anything so I stopped and fed and watered the rabbits. Sometimes you have to step away from it.

When I got back to it I noticed that the governor was not working properly. It was flopping all around.  I looked at the parts engine and found that it had no floppy to it. So I took it off and swapped them over.

Now it runs without the choke, but runs at 4300 rpm. That is not good. I tinkered and adjusted and got it down to 3950. There is still something I need to adjust, but it is getting closer.

It started getting dark. I let the big dogs out to run. They stayed close tonight.

Finally Gunner and I came in. I am a bit stiff and very sweaty. 

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#2914 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,642 Thanks
  • 1,734 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 08:29 PM

An attempt will be made to write this entry without the use of the personal pronoun "I". Why? Because it is possible.

ME thinks you did well. :D   Rick

• Craig. said thank you

#2915 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 09:57 PM

Are the linkages the same?

#2916 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 10:28 PM

Yes they were the same engine steam same tractor to just the other one looks like it had been run off a cliff

Edited by KennyP, April 10, 2015 - 05:35 AM.

• Craig. said thank you

#2917 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 10:28 PM

Same not steam
  • MH81 said thank you

#2918 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 08:45 AM

Thanks Kenny. I couldn't edit it on my phone.

• KennyP said thank you

#2919 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 11:20 AM

Same not steam

I was starting to wonder just how old these mowers are... :D
  • Craig., KennyP, UncleWillie and 1 other said thanks

#2920 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 08:48 PM

And today is....

This morning I got up determined to get Grady's tractor off the lift.

addict.jpg

It took about a hour to get it to start and then I got it on the ground.  One trip around the yard and it had a problem. It would only run with the choke on and then it had no power.

SO I pulled it around back and tinkered with it a bit. I noticed that the fuel filter was not quite nasty but not as clean as it could be. SO I put a new one on it.  IT still had no power.

I came in and did some research and then I remembered it had this problem last summer. So I went back out and pulled the carb. It looked like it had jello in it. A bit of cleaning and I put it all back together.

Then it would not start. After some tinkering I noticed that the filter was not filling up. So I pulled the carb back off again and stole the fuel pump off the DragonFlys engine. With the all back on the filter filled up - and th4e engine roared to approximately 47 million RPM before I could shut it off.

As long as I held the throttle in the idle position it would run at 1100 rpm just fine. When I let go of the throttle it went ballistic again.

'

I was tinkering with it when Jared sent me a text and asked me to come get him. I asked him what headed off to get him.

We had to stop at the store to get a couple things and then headed home.

Carmel escaped again. I am going to have to go look down the corner of the yard and see where she is getting through the fence.

Steph and Heath should be home tomorrow.

• MH81, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2921 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,852 Thanks
  • 3,193 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 12:38 AM

I'll bet Carmel is looking for Heath, he's not supposed to leave the yard.   :thumbs:

• HDWildBill, UncleWillie and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#2922 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 09:34 PM

Whew....

Jared and I were both so tired last night that neither of us remembered going to sleep.

When we got up and moving we went outside to look at Grady's tractor again.

snoopy.jpg

Off came the hood, heat shields, carb and governor. What I found was a loose governor arm.  Once that was tightened up it went back together. Things were going great till I tightened up the carb and heard a pop. The intake broke.

SO Jared went over and pulled the intake off the parts engine. The gaskets were trash so I called the mower shop while he took the one off the tractor.

We took a drive to the shop and $7 later we had the gaskets. High I know, but ti beat having to wait for them. Then we ran by the pharmacy, autozone, and Advance. With everything we needed we headed home.

We pulled in the yard and found all kinds of stuff sitting that was not there when we left. Steph and Heath got home.

After all he welcome backs were said Jared and I got back to work.

I asked myself why I was doing all the work while he watched. I went and got my chair and told him what to do. After it was back together he took it for a test run. It worked perfect. I told him to park it and let it cool off so we could put the hood back on.

Tom came back to visit.

Tom.jpg

We started to do a compression test on the engine. It tested good but I wrenched my shoulder pretty badly.

We got the hood back on the tractor then I took it down in the field where the grass is pretty thick. It worked perfect.

With that done we came in.

Heath got some inflatable boxing gloves so Jared blew them up and we were playing with heath. He would hit me and I would fall back on the couch then he would hit Jared and he would fall back in the recliner. IT was great - till Jared put the recliner through the window.

We took a sign tarp and put it over the broken pane. I will fix it later.

• olcowhand, wvbuzzmaster, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#2923 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 10:22 PM

Sounds like a great day that ended with an Aww Crap.
Been there, done that.

Glad you got the tractor done, one more thing off the list.
  • Craig. said thank you

#2924 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 05:22 AM

I'm sure Grady will be happy to have his tractor back. Tom is a big old boy, right friendly too. May have been someones pet at some time. Glad Steph & Heath are home safely!

• Craig. said thank you

#2925 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 05:48 PM

So dirty and sweaty.

This morning we were all tired. We got up at 10.

dirtycoffee.jpg

In short order we were outside.

Much tool cleaning had to be done.  Junk had to be organized. Stuff had to be moved.

I managed to dig my old hospital gurney out and out it cleaned up. It was covered in grease from the last mass junk mower engine tear down.

Once we all recovered from synchronized heart attacks we got back to work.

The old run in the work area was ripped to pieces so it got pulled up and tossed in the trash pile. One of the sign tarps went down in its place.

The Falcon got fired up and the engine got moved and put on the engine stand. I couldn't get off the tractor so I really couldn't tell how Steph and Jared attached it. They didn't do it right and after I parked the tractor I saw the engine was about to fall off.

While we fixed that Heath vanished. He was standing about 3 feet from the BlueOx and then he vanished. Steph, Jared and I were running around all over looking. I was across the street and Steph was down at a neighbors house. Jared finally yelled that he found Heath. The little bugger was in the BlueOx,  in his car seat, buckled in.  I guess he wanted to go somewhere.

He decided to chill on the tractors for a while.

dirtytruck.jpg

Finally we took the huge pool tarp I got from Usernames friend and put it up to work under to do the engine swap. It looks really ghetto, but there is supposed to be rain off and on all week. It will come down when we are finished.

dirtyyard.jpg

It must have been a good day because Heath is nasty.

dirtyboy.jpg

Edited by UncleWillie, April 12, 2015 - 05:50 PM.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks