TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 08:42 AM

I see two people to ad to my hit list. LOL

I am closer to both of them, I will work with ya offing them both if needed! :rolling:  :rolling:  :rolling:

I get that tranny code on my Firebird sometimes, the overdrive lockup solenoid is failing on mine though.

• Craig. said thank you

#2807 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 09:19 AM

I am closer to both of them, I will work with ya offing them both if needed! :rolling:  :rolling:  :rolling:

If ya "off" me, you won't get to plow Ball Hollow dirt!  :smilewink:

• OldBuzzard, Alc, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#2808 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 09:36 AM

Yea, I know, it's such an inner struggle  :rolling:  :rolling: :rolling:  

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2809 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 04:13 PM

I dunno...after working that adobe you had there last year, that may be an empty threat :rolling:

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2810 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 08:36 PM

Frustrating day.

This morning we got up and went out to beat on the BlueOx some more.

A_Woman_Looking_At_a_Broken_Coffee_Machine_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_090819-134586-784009.jpg

I double checked everything. Hosed the intake down with carb cleaner. Checked every vacuum hose and wire I could find. Fuel pressure is perfect. And it still does the exact same thing.

The guy who was coming to get the Simplicity texted me at 1and said he was 20 minutes away. SO Steph and I pulled the tractor out and around front. Then she left to go to the store to get some injector cleaner.

She got back and he still had not arrived. He called about an hour later and said he was lost. I gave him directioins and figured he would be here in about an hour. Two hours later he called and said he was lost again. I finally got him to the house about 4 hours after he called. We had a good laugh about it.

After he was loaded up and gone we all loaded up in the Ox to get Jared. I figured that driving it may help clean the injectors if that was the problem.

About 10 miles out it started to run like crap. I pulled over and looked. The #1 plug wire came loose. WIth it hooked back up it went back to merely not running right.

We got Jared at around 7 and headed back in. We stopped at Sonic and ate then headed home.

The truck is still not making power like it should.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#2811 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 08:30 PM

Well A swing and a miss.

This morning we all 4 slept in a bit.

coffeeunderstands.jpg

Then we all got dressed and staggered out in to the warm sunshiny day. IT was awesome.

Jared and I got to cleaning out the back of the Suburban so I could get to the panel for the fuel pump.

With the pump out (Heath helped) and the MAP sensor in my pocket we headed off to Autozone.

The store in Cherryville did not have a fuel pump. SO we had to take a drive to Lincolnton.

With the pump procured we headed home. We got home in time to eat lunch.

Once we were all filled up we headed back outside.

The pump went in and the new map sensor. And it still missed at 2500rpm.

SO we scratched our heads.

Jared and I decided to work on the 88 while I thought a bit. We got it jacked up, on jack stands, and the front tires off.

Steph left for the store to get a couple things.

My mechanic buddy called and said to check compression, spark and fuel pressure again. So Jared and I got started on that.

I called Steph to go to Autozone to rent the fuel pressure tester again.

We had 3 cylinders tested when Steph got home.

On cylinder #5 the ignition stuck. I had to snatch the coil wire off to kill it.

SOOOOOOOOOOO the key switch got changed out while Steph hooked up the fuel pressure tester. I accidentally turned the key on twice and sprayed Steph with fuel. I had Jared unhook the battery.

Once the key issue was fixed and the tester was installed we went back to the compression adn spark test.

All Cylinders had 120 PSI and good spark. Fuel pressure is 30PSI.

And it still fell flat at 2500rpm.

I came in to look at some diagrams.

While I was sitting here I had an idea. I went back out and checked the trouble codes. I have only one and it is a new one. It is saying the fuel pump isn't getting enough voltage.

I sent the mechanic a text. He said to check the fuel pump relay. I went out and pulled the relay out of the 88. It didn't change anything.

He said to check the wiring the oil pressure switch and a couple of other things. It was 530 So I said enough is enough.

After dinner Heath and I watched some videos in the office while Jared and Steph watched some Scifi show they both love.

Heath didn't have a nap so at 745 this happened.

heathnap.jpg

Not all that bad of a day.

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#2812 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,513 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 06:07 AM

I hope you get that figured out soon. Just out of curiosity, does that have the HEI distributor? If so, check the weights and springs under the rotor.

• Craig. said thank you

#2813 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 07:54 AM

I hope you get that figured out soon. Just out of curiosity, does that have the HEI distributor? If so, check the weights and springs under the rotor.

Wow!!  80-90's technology!  

Funny that it runs great up to 2500..  If it was the advance it would affect it earlier I'd think..  

A clogged Catalytic converter?  Might be the whole deal..

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, March 08, 2015 - 08:00 AM.

• MH81 and Craig. have said thanks

#2814 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 08:10 AM

Doesnt it use a spark advance module ? You disconect the one wire when setting base timing if its the kind I'm thinking of . Maybe a problem in it ? How's the fuel spray when it misses ? How worn is the distribture shaft had one of of those act up one once . Good luck
  • Craig. said thank you

#2815 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 08:25 AM

Well A swing and a miss.

This morning we all 4 slept in a bit.
coffeeunderstands.jpg
Then we all got dressed and staggered out in to the warm sunshiny day. IT was awesome.

Jared and I got to cleaning out the back of the Suburban so I could get to the panel for the fuel pump.

With the pump out (Heath helped) and the MAP sensor in my pocket we headed off to Autozone.

The store in Cherryville did not have a fuel pump. SO we had to take a drive to Lincolnton.

With the pump procured we headed home. We got home in time to eat lunch.

Once we were all filled up we headed back outside.

The pump went in and the new map sensor. And it still missed at 2500rpm.

SO we scratched our heads.

Jared and I decided to work on the 88 while I thought a bit. We got it jacked up, on jack stands, and the front tires off.

Steph left for the store to get a couple things.

My mechanic buddy called and said to check compression, spark and fuel pressure again. So Jared and I got started on that.

I called Steph to go to Autozone to rent the fuel pressure tester again.

We had 3 cylinders tested when Steph got home.

On cylinder #5 the ignition stuck. I had to snatch the coil wire off to kill it.

SOOOOOOOOOOO the key switch got changed out while Steph hooked up the fuel pressure tester. I accidentally turned the key on twice and sprayed Steph with fuel. I had Jared unhook the battery.

Once the key issue was fixed and the tester was installed we went back to the compression adn spark test.

All Cylinders had 120 PSI and good spark. Fuel pressure is 30PSI.

And it still fell flat at 2500rpm.

I came in to look at some diagrams.

While I was sitting here I had an idea. I went back out and checked the trouble codes. I have only one and it is a new one. It is saying the fuel pump isn't getting enough voltage.

I sent the mechanic a text. He said to check the fuel pump relay. I went out and pulled the relay out of the 88. It didn't change anything.

He said to check the wiring the oil pressure switch and a couple of other things. It was 530 So I said enough is enough.

After dinner Heath and I watched some videos in the office while Jared and Steph watched some Scifi show they both love.

Heath didn't have a nap so at 745 this happened.

heathnap.jpg

Not all that bad of a day.

Some days we may not accomplish what we want but if it ends well makes it a good day.

Edited by Sawdust, March 08, 2015 - 08:27 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#2816 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 01:03 PM

Willie, the TBI chevy motors had a problem with the spinning magnet in the distributor cracking which would cause the symptoms youre describing. Pull the distributor cap and rotor off and look at the magnet that is on the dist. shaft. They used to crack where there are rivets going through them and would create multiple spark signals to the pick-up coil. The engine would run like the timing was jumping around. I've been doing driveability diagnostics for many years and have seen some weird stuff! If you were closer I'd come over and we'd get this figured out.   

• Alc, Craig., KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#2817 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 10:40 PM

I am too tired for a full story.

countonme.jpg

Jared and I worked on the truck. Replaced the oil pressure sensor, repaired a wire under the dash,  and cleaned a few grounds No more trouble codes. Still bogging out.

I decided to replace the fuel pressure regulator since it was cheaper than a distributor and it could be either.

It was after dark when we got it back on the truck. I did something wrong because I now have an ethanol sprinkler.

I finally said enough for today and I took Jared back to his grandmother. Tomorrow I will be able to move a bit faster since I won't be trying to teach him what I am doing.

I will have a new truck before too long.

We had a lot of fun though. We even changed a flat tire for a beautiful Vietnamese woman on the way to the parts house. I kept telling him to get her number. He was a lovely shade of red.

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#2818 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 09, 2015 - 06:29 PM

And frustration builds.

This morning it was raining when the alarm went off so we did nothing. Since I went to bed at 4am I needed more sleep.

frustration_mug-rdf1d39c65a1b4831be3c328752c5fe20_x7jgr_8byvr_324.jpg

When we got outside Heath instantly went insane. He was all over everything.

I took the top off the TBI and found that it had split in half. GRRRRRRRR.

SO the search began for a replacement. I went down to the pull a apart and started looking while Steph got on the phone and internet and looked.

The yard had no big blocks. The TBI is big block specific. In fact they did not have a single truck that still had a TBI on it. There are some mods you can do to them to get more power. I have a feeling that someone is doing the mods and then selling them online. The only throttle body they had was split like mine is. It was a small block anyway.

I did come across a nearly new aftermarket distributor. IT is very low mileage. Truck was wrecked. The distributor is very clean. The cap and rotor have very little wear on them. So it will go in the Ox.

I called by brother who works for a large salvage company in TN. He searched and only found 2 in the US that were listed. Neither place would ship. 

He later dug up a few more numbers. I called one and they have a unit.

On the way home I remembered a buddy who works on a lot of stuff and has a lot of friends in the business. He gave me two places to check. Both were closed by the time I checked with him. If they don't have one I will buy the one and have it shipped.

I came home and was greeted by a very filthy little boy, wearing only a shirt and a pullup, who had been playing outside all day. 

The license plate on Christine is in the back window because it will not stay on the back bumper. I got stopped last night because it had slid down and could not be read behind the tool box. I had to move it back up and tape it in place. Heath helped me

Heathknife.jpg

• MH81, Alc, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#2819 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 06:03 PM

IT IS ALIVE!!!!!!!

This morning my back was killing me. I laid in the floor and d let Steph walk all over me. It is good for her to get it out of her system.

frankencoffee.jpg

When I finally got out of the house I headed to a local guy who has a lot of trucks.

After a search of his junk pile we found a big block TBI buried in the dirt on some kind of weird manifold. I gave him $20 and headed down to Shelby to talk to the other guy.

tbi1.jpg

tbi2.jpg

tbi3.jpg

Of course when I got there he wasn't there. His brother said to call him in an hour.

SO I went to the mall. I called the guy and left a message on his voice mail.

I have not been in the mall in Shelby in several years. It is horrible. Nearly every store is closed. I ate lunch at Chick-fil-a. Just as I was ordering the guy called me back. He didn't have one but he gave me a name of a guy who may have one.

I called that guy and he said he didn't have one for a 454, but he had one for a 396. He didn't know if they were the same. I told him I might take a trip up to look.

I decided to come on home and try to Frankenstein a TBI out of all the parts I have.

I got here and started disassembling the TBI and cleaning everything.

While I scrubbed that Steph put in the distributor I got at the junk yard.

While I was was scrubbing and cleaning I realized that a gasket was missing. SO when Steph finished I sent her and Heath to the parts house.

Gunner kept an eye

tbi5.jpg

on the chickens.

tbi7.jpg

WHile she was gone I came in and got my gun cleaning kit and did some serious scrubbing.

tbi9.jpg

She got back and we put the TBI back together

tbi6.jpg

and installed it. She turned the key and I crossed my fingers. No gas sprayed out. SO I told her to start it.

First start she stumbled and died. They won't run long on carb cleaner.

Second start it roared to life, but it idles rough. Timing is off slightly.

SO I grabbed the throttle and slammed it back as hard as I could. I think it may have scared the neighbors. NO bogging just a straight roar to red line and a tremendous beautiful noise from the exhaust.

So we shut it down, stuffed all the tools inside it. And came in. It is trying to rain.

Tomorrow morning I will set the base timing and take it for a drive.

EDIT: my computer kept stroking out and saving the post every time I got the mouse close to the submit button.

Almost time for a haircut

tbi8.jpg

Edited by UncleWillie, March 10, 2015 - 06:42 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 4 others have said thanks

#2820 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,513 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 06:55 PM

Glad it runs again! I bet you felt lost without it!

• Craig. said thank you