UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 05:55 PM

I thought nothing was going to get done today.

This morning at 6am I woke up thanks to Darth Steph. It was all bright and sunny and there was a fresh coat of snow on everything. I shut off my alarm and went back to bed. I finally got  some sleep when Steph got up with Heath.

At 10 I woke up and the snow had stopped and it looked like nothing had ever happened.

While I drank coffee John Wayne was Flying Tigers on TV. (Oddly enough I noticed that the word Jap was censored from the movie. Stupid PC tv execs)

brain.jpg

Once I was properly caffeinated we headed outside. The trailer got disconnected from the Ox and the tow dolly was put in it its place.

The drive up to Charlotte was uneventful for us. For a lot of other people not so much. There were crashed cars, police, and ambulances all over the place.

After some snow melted off the hook I found the rubber glove I lost yesterday. It rode all the way home till I got behind a semi about 8 miles out.

IMG_20150224_134830800.jpg

We got to the garage we were headed to and snagged a 88 Olds 98 and headed home.

ON the way back we passed a Chinese restaurant that I used to eat at all the time when I worked in Charlotte so we went in. Food is still good.

We made one more stop at Harbor Freight for a couple of things and then headed in.

The Ox went into 4wd like it was supposed to. The car got dragged around back and gutted. Only problem I had was that the impact wrench froze up after about 5 bolts. Guess it is a bit chilly for running air tools with no dryer on the line.

Heath and I came in and Steph is outside doing something with the chicken pen. Knowing her she will be out there for a hour.

When I came in the office Randolph Scott is up on the old Mountain Road dodging dynamite

Edited by UncleWillie, February 24, 2015 - 06:16 PM.

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2762 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 04:43 PM

The best laid plans...

This morning we were off an running early. I had a plan.

miceandmen.jpg miceandmen.jpg

I called around to get prices at the scrap yards. The local ones had dropped another dollar a hundred. The big one in Charlotte was higher, but the gas tank had to come out of the car. It didn't want to cooperate.

First the rest of the exhaust had to come out then one of the captive bolts was loose and I couldn't just drop the tank. The straps had to be cut off. That took longer than it should have.

Once the tank was out it got drained in to a can and the gas when in the Ox. Then we managed to leave. At 10. Dang it.

If we hurried we could make it. So we did.

Except that Heath started to fuss. He was hungry. In our haste we skipped breakfast. So we had to stop for food. Everything was busy.

Once we had food we hit the highway.

I called the scrap yard to see if they still took cars at the back scale like they used to. No answer. I had Steph look up the website. They close for lunch from 1130 to 1230. We got there almost exactly at 1130.

So an hour later we got to drive around back and unload.

With money in our pockets we headed up to get the second car. At this point getting two cars today was doable, but was going to be tight.

We pulled into the garage parking lot and there was a rollback across the whole lot. We had to wait. He was loading up an Audi with a bad suspension compressor that was sitting on the frame. It took forever. At 3 we finally got loaded up. NO way to get a second car today.

We made our way home and just as we got off of 85 the Ox started singing the blues. I figured the gas out of the Olds was bad so I stopped and put $20 in her. She behaved after that.

We got home and put Heath down for a nap.

the Cavalier we got today had to come apart. It was the mechanics car. This was his clutch master cylinder cap!

cavcap.jpg

Steph left for class for the first time in 3 weeks. The weather has not been cooperative.

SO my plan didn't work. If it snows tonight the third car will just have to wait a while before it gets picked up.

• olcowhand, wvbuzzmaster, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#2763 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 05:38 PM

Much running today.

This morning, after not a lot of sleep due to a sore shoulder, I dragged myself out of bed at around 930.

speedy.jpg

Then we got dressed and headed outside.

The Catalytic converter got cut off the Kia (finally) and we loaded up and left.

Heath has claimed my old coffee cup as his.

heathcoffee.jpg

At 1130 we were at the shop to sell the cats. The owner was locked in mortal combat with an employee he was firing. It was an intense 20 minute wait. The guy yelled and cussed at Greg. He was very polite to me. Greg is about half my size.

Once he was fired, and we were paid, we headed to the scrap yard to get rid of the Cavalier.

We had to wait about 20 minutes for them to finally clear us to go to the back. The guy at the desk said the girl who was supposed to runt he DMV check was yacking on the phone instead of doing her job.

We mud bogged our way to the back and got unloaded. With more money in our pockets we headed to get the last car from the garage that is closing.

We made a stop at Wendy's for lunch and then hit the interstate.

The Acura had 2 flat back tires. Fortunately they had not moved the compressor to the new shop yet. We hooked the Acura to the Ox and Steph drove the Ox straight into the building. With the tires aired up we discovered that neither park nor the parking brake worked.  I was standing at the ready when the chain was unhooked and steered it out of harms way.

I had Steph back the Ox into the car to push it further up the hill. The service brakes held so once it was there I had to stay with it. The whole front bumper came off when she drive away. A simple roll down the hill had it up on the dolly and we headed out. 

ON the way home the whole world went crazy. People were weaving all over the road and speeding. I was just glad to get home in one piece.

As soon as we got here the Acura went up on the ramps and I left in Christine to get Jared.

That drive was uneventful. With the exception of whatever is popping in the front end of the truck.

SO now I am home. Steph left to get groceries. I am worn out. Jared is doing homework. And it sounds like Heath is using the cat to play the piano.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#2764 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 05:51 PM

... And it sounds like Heath is using the cat to play the piano.

Priceless! I remember those days. :rolling:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:

• Craig. said thank you

#2765 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 05:51 PM

Might want to check that popping noise out. Could be a ball joint!

• Craig. said thank you

#2766 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 05:53 PM

Might want to check that popping noise out. Could be a ball joint!

it is on the list for this weekend

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2767 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 03:37 PM

Awesome Saturday!

I ached and pained through my sleeping last night and finally got some rest about 5am. I woke up at 10 and laid in the bed a while trying to move.

When I finally got moving we got stuff done.

getdone.jpg

Steph and Heath left to go to the store and Jared and I got to pulling the radiator out of the Lexus.

Since the car was smashed on the front end it was a challenge. IT required a lot of using the pry bar and the come-a-long. Finally it surrendered.

While we worked on it my buddy, Tim, came by to chat for a minute. He had not seen the Sears and the tiller I bought. He was jealous. 

Then Jared pulled the Ox and dolly around to the 88. He installed a new battery that came out of the Cavalier we got this week. The engine turned over on its own, but didn't have enough juice to start. He hooked up the jumper cables and we sat and waited for Steph to come home.

When she got here I sent her off to get a couple gallons of gas and a can of SeaFoam.

Jared and I checked all the fluids and only the radiator was low.

When Steph got back Jared poured some gas in the TBI and the old girl cranked right up. We had to repeat the process a few time to get her to run. Jared finally figured out how to barely pour any fuel into the intake and keep it running. When his bottle was dry the truck ran on its own.

Steph hunted around and found some Antifreeze and filled up the radiator. I poured the SeaFoam in the gas tank.

After it sat and idled for a while Jared and I climbed inside and drove it down the road.

We found a few things wrong with it. First it has no brakes. Well it does, but they are all the way at the bottom and there is no power assist. Second it pulls to the right. Third the passengers side window does not work. Fourth it does smoke when you get on it.

We drove down to Tim's house. He was completely jealous. He was trying to buy it.

I let Jared drive it back. He wants it.

We came back home and dragged out the DeWalt planer that I got when I got the truck. After a fit of fiddling to get it to adjust it worked perfect and we planned down a little piece of lumber.

At the end of the day I was thoroughly happy with what was accomplished.

We figured up what we got for the load of scrap, the 4 work benches, and the planer. The truck was free. It will get put on the road soon. Christine has earned a retirement.

• MH81, wvbuzzmaster, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#2768 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 06:13 PM

Not bad for a Monday.

We had a lot to get done today, but we had to wait for Heaths speech therapist to show up first.

monday.jpg

I don't really see that he needs it, but Steph thinks he does. It is covered under insurance so oh well.

She showed up in a brand new Mercedes and parked in the muddy grass. I told her she was brave to park where she did. When she left I told her how to get out without getting stuck. She succeded.

She agrees that Heath just doesn't want to talk. She will be coming once a week to try to persuade him to do so.

Once she left we put on our boots and headed out.

The Lexus got hauled off to scrap and then we headed to Harbor Freight to get a new impact wrench . Mine had more problems than ice. I will be contacting Ingersol Rand to see if it can be fixed. IF not I got a lot of use out of it.  I also grabbed some impact sockets that were on sale.

We headed home and gutted the Kia. Heath had to help take the lug nuts off. I loosened one and he took it off x20. It took a while. There is a video loading. Don't know when it will be done though.

Finally loaded

We got almost 20 gallons of good clean gas out of it.

Then all the trash, that has not been hauled off for too long due to weather, got loaded up on Christine and the small trailer.

After everyone had washed thier hands we headed off to Heffner's for lunch. Hamburgers, fried mushrooms, and french fries. Good stuff. Heath stole all my bacon off my burger though.

We got to the dump and I pulled the Ox through with the big trailer and turned it around and parked it on the road. One of the guys came up to me and said I couldn't leave the car there. We had a good laugh. He said the other guy thought I was coming to drop it off.

Once all the garbage was unloaded we strapped the empty cans down and headed to the scrap yard.

ON the way the OX started missing again. I think the intake is loose again. I am going to have to replace the intake I think this one is warped.  Argh.

We got to the yard and got unloaded and then they asked for the title. The Kia was an 06 so it requires a title. It was at home on my desk. Since it was 430 and they closed at 5 there was no way it was getting back today.

Steph came on home while I talked to the guy at the yard and made sure everything was good.

Then I went back to Harbor Freight to see if they had some socket trays like I wanted. They didn't. But I did run into a friend. We chatted a bit and then I went over to TSC. They didn't have one either, but I grabbed a small tool box to put the impact sockets in.

I cam back home and backed the big trailer into its parking spot and Steph and the dogs came over to help get it unhooked. Heath was on the roof of Christine.

Heath and I took a ride down the hill on the Falcon to see if I still had a set of side truck boxes that a guy wanted. I didn't.

We came back up and parked.

After giving all three dogs some loving I came in. I am sore all over, but we got a lot done today.

Edited by UncleWillie, March 02, 2015 - 06:53 PM.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#2769 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 07:01 PM

She agrees that Heath just doesn't want to talk. She will be coming once a week to try to persuade him to do so.

Some kids seem to decide when they want to hit milestones.  Probably because they didn't read the instruction manual.

• Craig., KennyP and UncleWillie have said thanks

#2770 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 07:13 PM

Not to worry WIllie.

My #1 son did the same thing.  He was 'late' to start talking, but when he did, it was pretty much in complete sentences.

Kids do things on THEIR schedule, not on what some expert, many of whom have never had children, think they should.

• Craig. said thank you

#2771 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,945 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 08:46 PM

My son started talking about the usual time I think. But he refused to be potty trained. He was old when he decided it was time to stop wearing pampers. But the neat thing was, he had no accidents after that.

• Craig. said thank you

#2772 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 08:53 PM

Not to worry WIllie.

My #1 son did the same thing.  He was 'late' to start talking, but when he did, it was pretty much in complete sentences.

Kids do things on THEIR schedule, not on what some expert, many of whom have never had children, think they should.

:ditto:  My son was 3 before he started to talk. Then came all the questions that he had been saving. :biting_nails:

• Craig. and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#2773 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 09:13 PM

Better get a magnet on wheels! You'll be finding lug nuts all over the place!

• Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#2774 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 09:22 PM

Better get a magnet on wheels! You'll be finding lug nuts all over the place!

He was doing pretty good handing them to me. Those two that he took off in the video went to no mans land. I am sure they are with my  GearWrench ratchet and the new exhaust dughnut.

• Craig. said thank you

#2775 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 09:26 PM

He was doing pretty good handing them to me. Those two that he took off in the video went to no mans land. I am sure they are with my  GearWrench ratchet and the new exhaust dughnut.

He's just adding to his 'stash'!

• Craig. said thank you