#256 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 09:59 AM

The Sheetz in Yadkinville isn't opened yet. They haven't even paved the parking lot yet. You must have been the Sheetz in Mocksville if you was on 40. As always you keep us entertained! Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

#257 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 10:27 AM

Gum all I know is it was off of 40 and the sign on the interstate said Yadkinville. Wherever it was the view was great.

#258 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 02:25 PM

Had to get up at the crack of early today to beat the weather.

Made a quick check of email then grabbed my hat and thermos and headed off to the aluminum smelter. It was fun limping the BlueOx there in first gear and overdrive since I have not been able to change out the harness yet.

I have been there to drop stuff off before but never watched him make the ingots. I was curious as to how he was going to get 28 foot pontoons in his furnace.

Once I got there I met his brother in law who was helping him. The whole time I was there he was spouting one racist epithet or another, then he stated telling me how his son kept getting in trouble because of black kids. It was all I could do to not toss him in the furnace.

Anyhow, the sawzall came out and cuts were made and things started to melt down.
2013-02-07_09-26-22_393_zps3cb2a10e.jpg

In a couple of hours we had close to 800 pounds of aluminum ingots. This pic is about halfway through the meltdown.
2013-02-07_09-26-26_33_zps11f58050.jpg
It worked out perfectly that my thermos was dry just as the trailer was empty and my pocket was full. So it was home for a refill. The BlueOx and I started the dance of first gear up to 4000 rpm then, with foot still on the gas, cut the ignition off and back on again quickly so the truck would shift into OD.

Finally home to a lunch of peanut butter and crackers and coffee.

Once I was semi-digested and Heath was napping, Steph and I ran out to pick up the plywood decking from the boat and pull Ol' Smokey out of the carport and tuck the BlueOx in. It is still a bit hot to be fooling with so I have been carefully going over the replacement harness. I think I can get by with changing out half the plug provided the interior side of the firewall plug isn’t damaged.

Outside the rain is clattering down on the carport, while I am warm and dry in the shop with my fresh thermos of coffee. Of course, it figures that while my truck is down I am getting calls left and right for jobs.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, February 07, 2013 - 02:28 PM.

• olcowhand, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#259 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 03:28 PM

Isn't that the way it always goes!  When your able to do the job no one calls but let something happen and you can't and the phone will ring off the hook.  :wallbanging:

#260 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 05:50 PM

same thing happens with me soon as i get a project going in the shop a friend a family memebers needs an oil change or brake work.

#261 jacobd OFFLINE  

jacobd
  • Member No: 17550
  • 49 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 11:33 PM

Wow I didn't realize when you said aluminium smelter you actually meant aluminium smelter. Fascinating. What does he do with the ingots? Why take it there rather then the regular old scrap yard?   

#262 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Wow I didn't realize when you said aluminium smelter you actually meant aluminium smelter. Fascinating. What does he do with the ingots? Why take it there rather then the regular old scrap yard?   

He has buyers for the ingots. Where he takes them depends on what grade they are. He pays more than the scrap yards.

• KennyP said thank you

#263 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 08:06 PM

Morning, that time of day when the possibility are endless and energy abounds – at least with the help of nuclear strength coffee.

So I drank a pot and played online for a bit. Heath toddled into my office so I paused for a brief wrestling match, then got dressed to come outside and beat on the BlueOx.

Things started off pretty good. I made sure the firewall plugs matched then started cutting wire.

First I lopped off the old melted plug

2013-02-08_13-28-15_199_zps970fd13a.jpg

It was just slightly melty.

If you look at the white strip on the front left you will see the burnt place.

2013-02-08_13-28-35_872_zpsd76a4e3f.jpg

That black stuff is like roofing tar.

Replacement plug is significantly less melty. This one is just dirty.

2013-02-08_13-28-59_650_zps0c17b1ab.jpg

2013-02-08_13-29-17_632_zps4e4b0671.jpg

Now how I spent 3 hours leaning over the fender.

First match up the two cut wires

2013-02-08_13-51-43_904_zps0fdc14da.jpg

Next strip the ends approximately ½ inch

2013-02-08_13-52-06_346_zps0cebaed9.jpg

Slip a piece of shrink wrap on one end twist together

2013-02-08_13-52-24_627_zps456fd4a3.jpg

Using a small clamp to hold the wire still solder the two together

2013-02-08_13-56-40_848_zps5a076227.jpg

Cover with shrink wrap and heat.(If you forgot the heat shrink then this is where you insert copicious amounts of 4 letter words and go back to the beginning)

2013-02-08_13-57-41_370_zps1f927742.jpg

The repeat this procedure approximately 30 times and you are done. I got so crosseyed I had to get my reading glasses.

About halfway through a friend I haven't seen since Heath was about 3 weeks old stopped by and we spent about an hour and a half poking around the field and talking. I showed him some of the tractors on GTT and he said he would check us out.

When I got all through with the solderathon I started the truck up and it ran like crap.

Started poking around in the wiring and found a pink wire with a black stripe on the engine side of my cut hat wasn’t soldered. Took a look through the plug side wires and there ws no pink and black wire.

I went in the shop and got the oold plug and took a good look at it. Sure enough in the melted goop there was a pink and black wire. So I went back to the truck and unhooked the plug. No terminal for the pink and black.

Turns out that the 7.4 got a special EGR setup a nd that wire was omitted from the 5.7 harness I bought.

So 5 pairs of rubber gloves and an hour later and I had the terminal installed and hooked up.

For some reason the heater fan isn’t working so I started to look through wiring diagrams to see what color that wire is.

None of the diagrams I have include it. SO I went to Alldata to buy a subscription for my truck. Called Steph to get my bankcard number since she was in the house with my wallet.

NO WALLET.

We tore apart the trucks, the house, all the garbage (we don't get garbage pickup so there is 2 weeks worth in the cans to go to the dump tomorrow – it stunk). Moved all the furniture. Ch3ecked in every nook, cranny, and hidey hole in the house.

NO WALLET.

Checked the bank and no unexpected transactions. Called the smelter and he hasn't seen it but he will look again in the daylight.

All I can figure is Heath found it and hid it somewhere or a dog ate it.

Fortunately there is no cash in it.

I know I had it two days ago when I bought parts for Ol'Smokey on RockAuto.com and I haven't been anywhere but the smelter since and I am pretty sure I didn't have my wallet there.

SO I got Steph's card and made my purchase and now I am hiding in my shop because I got muddy footprints all over the house – OOPS. She will forgive me because she knows how hard it is for me to get my boots off and on and we have mostly linoleum floors anyhow.

So after about 12 pairs of rubber gloves, probably 5 feet of solder, a bunch of heat shrink tubing, and two pots of nuclear grade coffee and I am done for the day. Steph brought me out some Salisbury steak and potatoes for dinner, and now it am enjoying a cigar and studying wiring diagrams. Screen out here in the shop is bigger so I can actually read them out here.

Slightly frustrating, but overall good day.

• olcowhand, KennyP, SearsYellow and 2 others have said thanks

#264 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 07:27 AM

Uncle Willie that Steph of yours sure sounds like a fine woman.  Take good care of her, I dont think there are a whole lot of that type out there anymore. 

edit

What do you use for a soldering iron/gun? 

Edited by Michiganmobileman, February 09, 2013 - 07:28 AM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#265 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,393 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 07:50 AM

I hope you get the heater issue figured out soon. That is not a fun job to do!

• UncleWillie said thank you

#266 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 09:56 AM

So, two hours, three people, a sawzall, and a smelter to get rid of the pontoon? Pretty efficient.

#267 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 09:58 AM

How does the smelter guy test for grade??

#268 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 10:19 AM

Soldering guns can be aggravating, but I'm well equipped now.  For small to larger jobs I got a Wall heavy duty gun.

solder gun  0004361_wall_lenk_lg400c_heavy_duty_soldering_gun_350.jpeg

For super heavy duty jobs, I have one just like this, and man can it solder anything!  Takes several minutes to heat up, but when it does....

I got both the ones like these rep pics at an estate sale.  The pistol type burned it's element, and I bought a complete new cased outfit just 2 months ago for just $15 more than the element cost of the old one.  

solder.jpg

• KennyP, Michiganmobileman and UncleWillie have said thanks

#269 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 10:45 AM

I've got a Soldering gun I've had for a lifetime and still works, except I broke the tip about a week ago so I need to replace it.  I don't know the name brand but it sure has been a good tool.  I also have a cheapie from HF that to my surprise works quite well especially working with small wires.

#270 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 10:54 AM

That big one I posted above will solder a tractor/car radiator with ease, and much nicer to use than a propane torch, as it's easier to control where the heat goes.