UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 09:51 PM

The good thing is I seem to stay asleep once I go out. It is just the getting there that takes a while.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#2672 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 06:34 PM

The best laid plans....

Today my plan was to do nothing. That changed. Yesterday my buddy, Buddy, called me and said he was replacing his starter. He could not get it working. He said he would meet me today where the truck was sitting to get me to fix it. SO I waited for him to call. Steph and Heath left to go shopping.

dayoff.jpg

He sent me a text around 2 and said he couldn't get away, but he left the key under the floor mat. I grabbed my thermos and went down.

The truck was sitting at a gas station. I opened the hood and found that he had apparently used an old starter post as a battery terminal. When I touched it it fell out.  A look in the toolbox found a bolt that would work, but it still did nothing when I turned the key.

I pulled the starter out and found that he had it wired wrong. I attempted to hook the starter straight to the batter and it did nothing. The battery was dead. I hooked it to the battery in the Ox and it worked. So I put it back in and then jump started his truck/ After a 5 minute hookup it started up.

The gal at the gas station said he was there from 9am to 11pm yesterday working on it. I had it running in 30 minutes.

I drove it about 10 miles to charge it up and parked it back at the gas station. He will go get it tonight.

When I got home I found Steph's truck across the street so I walked over. We had a good talk with them and then I wandered home.

Steph is heating up leftover for dinner. Heath is chasing the cats.

• olcowhand, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 3 others have said thanks

#2673 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 08:28 PM

Funny how someone can mess up something so simple as a starter wiring and a dead battery.

I read that last sentence wrong. Had my
attention split 3 ways and swore it said steph is heating up cats for dinner. Phew cats are safe.
  • MH81, Craig., IamSherwood and 2 others have said thanks

#2674 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 09:19 PM

Funny how someone can mess up something so simple as a starter wiring and a dead battery.

I read that last sentence wrong. Had my
attention split 3 ways and swore it said steph is heating up cats for dinner. Phew cats are safe.

The kittens are not big enough yet. Have to fatten hem up a bit.

Not only did he botch the install of his starter he left his tools laying under the truck in the parking lot. I should have taken them home with me to keep him from working on it again.

• Craig., sacsr and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#2675 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 09:30 PM

Don't yah just love following behind someone who has no idea what they are doing. Glad you got him fixed up and running. Hows the barricade working on Heath?

• Craig. said thank you

#2676 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 10:20 PM

Barricade seems to be effective. He is trying his darndest to disassemble it though

• larrybl, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2677 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 10:32 PM

Might need to upgrade the barricade :wave:

Attached Thumbnails

• paris-barricades.jpg

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2678 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 11:17 PM

Might need to upgrade the barricade :wave:

No he could climb that. I need a solid sheet of steel that is greased on his side to make sure he stays in.

• larrybl, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2679 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 12:32 PM

I know where you're coming from Willie. We raised two boys born less than two years apart---- learned a lot about containment methods, lol.
  • Craig., sacsr, CRFarnsworth and 1 other said thanks

#2680 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 07:00 PM

And miles to go before we sleep.

This morning we begrudgingly crawled out of bed and got moving before any of us wanted to.

high_mileage_mug-r30e38791598b4a53bfada249b3d85735_x76x9_8byvr_324.jpg

Once everyone was upright and dressed we headed out the door.  Before we got too far a woman texted me about all kinds of miscellaneous scrap metal and a riding mower. Since she was about 10 minutes from our car pickup I told her we would come on by.

Steph and Heath got in Christine pulling the small trailer. I got in the Ox pulling the tow dolly.

IMG_20150202_125611_114.jpg

The first house we went to the guy had a Jetta and a Range Rover. Since winds were super high today I really didn't want to be dragging the slab sided Rover down the road. And I want a cop friend of mine to run the numbers on it before I drag it off.

We got there at 1 and found the Jetta sitting at the bottom of a long hill with a Craftsman mower in front of it. He said we could have the mower too. I almost took it but I wasn't sure how much stuff the other gal would have.

I backed Christine sans trailer down the driveway and hooked it to the mower. She just spun her wheels. I sent Steph up to get the OX. It pulled Christine and the mower with ease.

With the mower and Christine out of the way the Ox was backed back down to the Jetta and hooked up. It was a no go. I was in the Jetta and I radioed Steph to put the OX in 4wd. Then we were moving but the Jetta would not cooperate. It wanted to go everywhere but straight. Finally teh Ox persuaded it to come along. At the top of the driveway the guy walked up and said, "I feel kind of dumb. I forgot that I had taken the shift linkage off." With the trans actually out of gear it rolled with ease.

Once everything was hooked up and strapped down we headed off. Since the Jetta was stuffed full of junk it was wagging behind the Ox bit wasn't heavy enough to cause me to worry.

I pulled over to teh shoulder of the road in front of the next house and the OX sunk like a rock. I stuck it in 4wd and it would not pull. I stopped before I tore her yard up.

The gal is moving out of the house and everything has to go.  There was a small building behind her house down a dirt drive that had a bunch of stuff in it. I told Steph to bring Christine back and to not slow down going through the ditch. So she stopped in the ditch. I had to go push the truck out. Then I drove it. Heath thought it was great bouncing around and sliding sideways.

We hauled 2 loads out including a Craftsman LT.  The axle was locked up so it fought a little bit but Christine finally dragged it out. The woman was dying laughing watching the tractor helplessly following the truck.

When we got that one forced up on the trailer she said she had another one. It was a TroyBilt. I didn't take pics of the tractors I forgot.

She had a Chevy pickup in the driveway and I told her I would buy it. She liked the price. I have to go get it tomorrow.

We stuffed the little trailer and the bed of Christine.  When I thought we were through she said come in the house. We got 3 car batteries and....

IMG_20150202_181334_365.jpg

I don't know if it works, but I will be finding out soon enough.

Then Christine gave the Ox a tiny tug. That is all she needed to get one tire on the pavement and pull herself.

On the drive home Steph radioed me and said Christine was over heating.  We pulled over and took a look. The fan was freewheeling on the clutch shaft. I told her to turn the heat on till we hit the interstate. It worked.

We stopped in Gastonia and while I looked at the truck more she went into Chic-Fil-A to get some food. Heath stayed in my truck.

After I figured there was nothing more I could do for the truck I got on my tablet and used Lowe's wi-fi to look for a clutch. No one had one in stock. I ordered one from Advance I will go get it tomorrow.

Heath rode home with me. He enjoyed my Ginger Ale.

IMG_20150202_171109_832.jpg

We got home right at dark and unloaded the Jetta in to the big trailer then pulled Christine up and took a load off her back.

This is all the junk minus 2 riding mowers and a push mower and a Jetta.

IMG_20150202_181339_675.jpg

IMG_20150202_181317_961.jpg

Tomorrow I have to go back and get the range rover if the numbers come back clean. Bring it home. Then go back and get the Pickup. 

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#2681 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 07:05 PM

Quite a haul from just one place, and more to come yet!  Sounds like a profitable day to me!

• Craig. said thank you

#2682 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 07:18 PM

Those Dewalt planners are nice. Not cheap either.

#2683 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 07:25 PM

Looks like a Cat-approved load to me.
  • UncleWillie said thank you

#2684 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 07:31 PM

Those Dewalt planners are nice. Not cheap either.

I think mine was $700 or so. That was 15 years ago. I have put a fair amount of cedar and a wee bit of southern yellow pine through it, and I've never had a problem with it.

#2685 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 07:33 PM

Quite a haul from just one place, and more to come yet!  Sounds like a profitable day to me!

The best part was that the gal did not want money for her stuff she just wanted it gone. She said she has not even looked in the attic yet. I know there are 4 large workbenches she wants gone too.

• olcowhand, Craig. and sacsr have said thanks