4306 replies to this topic

#2641 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 12:03 PM

Made it to wv ( actually stayed just inside OH last night) going to get loaded up and out of here soon.

Where did you stay?

Just over the boarder, you are probably close to where I am.

• Craig. said thank you

#2642 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 12:27 PM

5-6 hours in Ohio? , it's only about 4 hours state line to state line either east-west or north-south. The longest is crossing over into Cincy then up through cleveland on to NY, then maybe 5 hrs

• Craig. said thank you

#2643 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 02:02 PM

Try driving across Texas!, Heck I live in the middle of the State and it takes me 8+ hours just to get to Arkansas!

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2644 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 04:13 PM

5-6 hours in Ohio? , it's only about 4 hours state line to state line either east-west or north-south. The longest is crossing over into Cincy then up through cleveland on to NY, then maybe 5 hrs

Right at  5 hrs for the Cincy-Clev run.  I'd done that more times than I can count.

Then it would be another hour to the PA border from Cleveland, so his 5-6 hrs. is pretty close.

• Craig. and TAHOE have said thanks

#2645 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 09:45 PM

I made it home. I stayed in Gallias? OH. it was snowing just enough to make the windshield a mess and the wipers just made it worse. I finally tossed a cup of coffee over the windshield so I could see to find the hotel. The Ox is now the gray ox. It will be getting a bath soon to get the salt off. I am tired. More tomorrow. 

• OldBuzzard, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#2646 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 09:51 PM

I made it home. I stayed in Gallias? OH. it was snowing just enough to make the windshield a mess and the wipers just made it worse. I finally tossed a cup of coffee over the windshield so I could see to find the hotel. The Ox is now the gray ox. It will be getting a bath soon to get the salt off. I am tired. More tomorrow.

The Uncle Willy I no would of never wasted a cup of coffee on a vehicle who are you?
  • KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#2647 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 11:04 PM

The Uncle Willy I no would of never wasted a cup of coffee on a vehicle who are you?

It was cold coffee.

• Craig. said thank you

#2648 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 12:23 AM

Glad you made it home. My Trailblazer is a permanent shade of gray until it warms above freezing.  

• Craig. said thank you

#2649 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 06:37 AM

Since you were in SW Ohio, it was probably Gallipolis  :D :D :D

• Craig. said thank you

#2650 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 09:20 AM

If you were in Gallipolis you were close to the moth man.

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 28, 2015 - 09:23 AM.

• Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#2651 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 09:24 AM

Yeah Willie, it would have only added about 8 to 10 hours driving time to come by here for a visit!  :rolling:

• Craig., KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#2652 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 11:55 AM

If you were in Gallipolis you were close to the moth man.

I saw the signs for that. What the heck is it?

• Craig. said thank you

#2653 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 04:05 PM

I saw the signs for that. What the heck is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothman

Its a crazy story.  A friend of mine lived their during that time frame, he said the whole town was crazy.  There was also a major movie about it.

This sums it up.

Paranormal[edit]

Some ufologists, paranormal authors, and cryptozoologists believe that Mothman was an alien, a supernatural manifestation, or an unknown cryptid. In his 1975 book The Mothman Prophecies, author John Keel claimed that the Point Pleasant residents experienced precognitions including premonitions of the collapse of the Silver Bridge, unidentified flying object sightings, visits from inhuman or threatening men in black, and other bizarre phenomena. Mothman was supposedly seen a month before the destruction of the Twin Towers and six hours before the I-35W bridge collapsed. However, Keel has been criticized for distorting established data, and for gullibility.[13]

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 28, 2015 - 04:06 PM.

• Craig. said thank you

#2654 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 05:51 PM

SO the trip to WV

Monday morning we got up and got straight down to the scrap yard.

coffee_2.jpg

We got there at 915. Didn't get unloaded till 11. I was slightly miffed.

It was 1 before I got on the road.

I made one stop in Statesville NC for cigars. When I got out of the truck and the wind was blowing I realized what I had forgotten - my coat. No way I was backtracking to get it. I went across the street to Kmart and got a jacket for $9.

At a rest stop in Va it started to snow It was about 400 pm.

snow.jpg

The rest of the trip was spent trying to see through the nasty windshield. The snow was just enough to wet the roads and make the windshield nasty. The wipers just made it worse.

When I left the rest stop I noticed that my magnetic tow lights were not working. I got out and looked and the wiring was damaged. All I can figure is that someone at the rest stop messed with them. I pulled over and found the address of the nearest Harbor Freight and set sail.

I had to rewire my extension harness because it had the wrong connector in it. I just pulled it up in the front seat of the truck and worked on it. Temps were well below freezing.

Back on the road through more salt I finally got to Gallipolis, OH which was 15 minutes from where I was going in West Colombia WV. I got a hotel room. NO way I was sleeping in the truck at 13 degrees.

The hotel room had a coffee pot in the room and I filled my thermos up in the dining area.

alien_life_we_tow_mugs.jpg

(In honor of the mothman!)

I got out to the truck and called the guy I was supposed to meet.( My phone charger was in my coat pocket in NC all I had was the truck charger and the phone died during the night).  I was told to call him 2 hours before I arrived. I was going to go wait at the hotel till time to meet. He said he told the buyer to call 24 hours ahead of time. OOps. After 30 minutes of waiting he called back and said someone would be there in 30 minutes. I went ahead and drove over.

He arrived we found the truck sitting in 3 inches of ice. They got a big 4wd John Deere tractor with a front end loader out and got it loaded for me. After it was all strapped down I headed out. I was sweating under my $9 jacket before I finished.

blazer.jpg

When I stopped for gas I funded down my Rainx window cleaner and made things a bit easier to see.

Everyone there was all bundled up like Eskimos. I was just wearing a long sleeved shirt with steam coming off me.

Things went great on the way home until I made my final fuel stop in Wythville, VA.

When I came out of the truck stop I found the BlueOx was peeing antifreeze. It was coming from the bottom drivers side corner and there is no way to see down there with the radiator in the truck. thought I would just put some stop leak in it and try to get home. SO I drove to AutoZone.

When I opened the radiator to pour the stop leak in the leak got much worse. I figured the radiator had frozen and burst in the night.

After some considering and measuring I decided to pull the radiator out of the blazer and use it. SO I pulled it out. Then I went to the Ox and pulled that one. Then I realized I had done things backwards. I should have pulled mine out first.

When I got it out I found the drain petcock was open. It is a stupid design that you push in and give a half turn to. I guess that there was a little bit of ice in the bottom of the radiator and it pushed the petcock out.

Feeling kind of stupid I reinstalled the radiator and got back on the road.

It was 9pm when I finally rolled in the yard. I was worn out.

Heath acted like I had never left. Gunner nearly licked my face off. Steph just laughed at us all.

This morning I slept in a bit

15860.jpg

and caught up on a couple days worth of emails and phone calls, and then we went out and reinstalled the radiator in the Blazer.

With that done we headed down to deliver the rusted monster.

We got home just in time for Steph to leave fore class. Heath is taking a nap. I think Gunner is attacking a cat.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#2655 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 06:46 PM

Wow, sounds like an eventful trip. Glad you got back in one piece.