4311 replies to this topic

#2461 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 07:56 PM

If you guys ever get a chance to go to wright Patterson afb museum.

http://en.m.wikipedi...tates_Air_Force

amazing place. Me and dad used to go there every year. We are going to make a trip next year. I haven't told him yet buy we are going. It's such a fun place to visit
  • Sawdust said thank you

#2462 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted November 10, 2014 - 09:09 PM

Got some fine redneck engineering done today.

what_would_bubba_do_redneck_mug-r1903ee290a31448995b804a77f51af76_x7jgr_8byvr_512.jpg

This morning I woke up to find that the living room was covered in poop. The bathroom door got closed and the kittens couldn't get to the litterbox. SO I celaned that mess up then got Heath up and changed him.

I read my emails and the forums I usually check, then at noon Heath, Gunner, and I went outside to do some work.

I wanted to get my backup camera mounted. Having to hook up a trailer by myself and getting in and out of the truck has been killing my back.

If I mounted the camera down on the bumper where it was designed to go we would destroy it gettign in and out of the back so it had to go on the door. I didn't want to put any holes in the door. I was taking a car apart a week or so ago and the answer came to me. Make a mount like a rear view mirror mount. SO last week I made one and went ahead an attached it to the back window with JB Weld. The only can of black paint I had didn't spray so well.

IMG_20141110_144810_355.jpg

After that had set and cured for more than long enough I got out today to finish up.

I wanted to mount the monitor where the dash cubby is, but didn't want to loose my storage space. I also didn't want to poke holes in the dash. I gave it some thought and came up with an idea.

I made a mount for the monitor. I had a stainless steel grill that I got for scrap that donated a cover for the mount. First I cut it out rough then finished it as best I could with the bench grinder.

It isn't perfectly square, but no one will see it.

IMG_20141110_134523_582.jpg

Then I marked and drilled holes.

IMG_20141110_134759_464.jpg

Then I mounted a small piano hinge on the stainless. I reused bolts harvested from computer harddrives.

IMG_20141110_141811_199.jpg

After I removed the mounting screw from the mount that came with the camera I drilled a hole for it.

The screw was way too long for my thin steel so I had to make a spacer. I found an aluminum spacer in the shop and had to cut it down. I stuck a drill bit inside it to keep it from crushing when I tightened it up in the vice.

IMG_20141110_142604_118.jpg

It isn't perfect, but again no one will see it.

IMG_20141110_143325_434.jpg

Then I got some 3M Command adhesive strips

IMG_20141110_144407_973.jpg

and mounted it to the top of the dash. Since I have a dash mat it will be covered up.

IMG_20141110_144525_704.jpg

I can tilt the monitor up to access the cubby.

IMG_20141110_155302_043.jpg

A previous owner had drilled a hole in the back door for some reason so I ran the camera wiring through it.

IMG_20141110_145609_265.jpg

From experience with the camera on the WarBeast I know that the plugs come unhooked so I taped them together.

IMG_20141110_145603_759.jpg

I ran a large hot wire back to the camera. I plan to put a 12v outlet back there in the near future. It will work for both.

From there it was a simple matter of hiding wires in the overhead trim pieces and hooking it all up.

Here is is angled down to hook up a trailer.

IMG_20141110_163926_154.jpg

Here it is tilted up for driving – my camera phone was not happy with the position of the sun.

IMG_20141110_171217_707.jpg

I have less than $50 in the whole setup. Not bad at all.

Steph got home before I finished with it and put all the tools up that I wasn't using.

Here is my new tool kit. I like it. The ratchets have fine teeth. Much better than the craftsman set.

IMG_20141109_153553_371.jpg

IMG_20141109_153652_145.jpg

Once I was finished up we all headed up to Taylorsville to get a Toyota Corolla. The guy has 2 we are buying.

One of the cars was in the back yard where it would sink if it rained. SO we got that one first. It didn't run but the second one did so we used it to push the derelict up on the dolly.

One stop at the grocery store for juice and we got back home.

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2463 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 06:50 AM

Great idea on the camera and monitor mounts! Looks like it will work fine for you. Nice tool set!

• Craig. said thank you

#2464 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 07:34 AM

Wrap some extra tape around the wire where it goes through the hole in the tailgate, It will help keep the wire from shorting out. Speaking of shorting out, did you put a fuse in the 12v going to the back? Could save you some heartache in the future.

• Craig. said thank you

#2465 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 11:36 AM

Wrap some extra tape around the wire where it goes through the hole in the tailgate, It will help keep the wire from shorting out. Speaking of shorting out, did you put a fuse in the 12v going to the back? Could save you some heartache in the future.

I did that, It just isn't in the pictures. The harness that came with the camera has a fuse.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2466 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 12:20 PM

If you guys ever get a chance to go to wright Patterson afb museum.

http://en.m.wikipedi...tates_Air_Force

amazing place. Me and dad used to go there every year. We are going to make a trip next year. I haven't told him yet buy we are going. It's such a fun place to visit

I only live 45 mins from there, never have been.

• Sawdust said thank you

#2467 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 12:54 PM

I only live 45 mins from there, never have been.

It is worth a trip.  Free to get in(donations are taken in a container near the gift shop), Free parking, and it is a total blast to walk around and look at all the planes!

I think its 2.5 hours for me.

Back up camera looks good.  I hooked the Tacoma up to an empty trailer last night, and the back up camera shines right on the hitch.  Sure makes it easier.  Plus it looks like you can watch your load on yours going down the road too.

All the driving and crazy stuff you see, get a dash cam now!

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 11, 2014 - 12:55 PM.

• Alc and Craig. have said thanks

#2468 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 04:56 PM

I want a dash cam but that would be a toy. The backup cam was a necessity. It makes it easy to know if the straps on the dolly are loose. I hooked up the dolly today with the camera and it was great. One shot and done.

• Alc, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#2469 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted November 11, 2014 - 06:47 PM

Finally Willie I'm caught up with your thread. I feel like I have been part of your family for a few weeks. I have enjoyed it & will continue to be a fan. Great idea on the camera.
  • Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#2470 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 06:25 PM

Not a real good day.

Every night for about the past week my internet has gone out between midnight and 1am. The works till about 230 then dies again. Usually I can reset the modem and all is well. Since it is always fine come morning I wanted to call last night while it was still out. By the time I got off the phone (with the internet still not working) I was wide awake. The tech said the modem was out because he couldn't find anything wrong with the line.

I managed to get about 2 hours of sleep before Steph began to see how many times she could hit snooze before I killed her. Fortunately she chickened out after about 5 times and finally got up. I got about another hours sleep and then I Heard what sounded like a train wreck in the kitchen. I staggered in and found Heath had gotten up and decided to level the kitchen. Everything he could reach was in the floor.

I made my way through the minefield and changed his diaper. Then Gunner pooped in Heath's floor. SO I cleaned that up.

I took Gunner out to pee and finally,62cc0bb107b7d0e568a613a4b7bb54e3.jpg almost an hour after I begrudgingly arose from the bed...

I staggered in to the office and sat here trying to get both eyes to focus on the same thing for a while. The internet was working perfectly

I started trying to watch this video..

As of now it is 6 hours later and I am 26 minutes into it.

I got on GTT and had a message from Steve (SearsYellow) that he needed my number. I gave it to him and he called.

ON the phone we played dueling children. Heath was trying to tear the house apart bare handed while Steves little girl wanted the answers to the questions of life. It was an interesting phone call.

After that call was over I got a million and one calls from people about different things.

A buddy of mines wife called and said that they were desperate for some money and they had an old AC unit. I explained tp them that they could not take it to the scrap yard without an HVAC license, but I had a place I could take it. I told them I would tell Steph to come get it when she was done with class. She was just a couple miles from their house.

At about 2 I got a message from BaumBaum that he needed my phone number. So I gave it to him,

Heath Gunner and I loaded up in the BlueOx and headed off to the crusher with the Camry.

BaumBaum called and asked about the wiring on an engine. I am not sure if I helped any or not but I did my best.

I got to the yard and dumped the Yoytota off and then went to the pay window.

While I stood there a couple was trying to leave in a Ford Expedition. The gal turned the key and the starter ground. She did it about 3 more times and I walked over and told her to put the trans in reverse. Then I gave it a little push and told her to try again. It started right up. They have a bad flywheel ring.

Another woman asked how I knew that. I told her I was an expert in junk. She laughed.

We went to cash the check then headed home.

Steph got there before we did. She had already changed clothes and was working on rounding up all the electric motors, radiators, and stainless steel.

I was so tired I could barely think. I came in to find a guys phone number and tell him I couldn't make it there tonight.

Steph put Heath down for a nap. I kicked my feet up on the desk and closed my eyes for about 20 minutes. IT gave me enough of a recharge to get back outside.

We picked up a massive gas grill a while back and haven't gotten around to taking it apart yet. We set to it. The thing was fairly sturdily built, but with perseverance we got it.

The basket carrier got stuck on t he back of the BlueOx and all the stuff was piled on top and strapped down.

Finally, we were finished. We came in.

I got my last cup of coffee for the day and then went in and woke Heath up from his short nap. heathnap.jpg

He wasn't real happy, but he will at least sleep tonight. Hopefully I will too.

• olcowhand, DougT, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#2471 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 05:43 PM

Busy day thankfully.

Last night I was so tired I was in bed by 730. My body just gave up.

This morning at 444am I woke up said no way and rolled back over. I dozed off and on until 8. Heath was still in bed so I laid there and took inventorty of all my aches and pains till 9.

Once I was upright, Gunner was let out to pee, and Heaths diaper was changed...

keep_calm_and_focus_on_being_frantic_mug-r6b10cc7ccf8145e5aaad517e59c598de_x76x5_8byvr_324.jpg

I made a quick run through the forums and my emails and then I headed out by 10.

First stop was the scrap yard. Once I had my check I cashed it then we headed to Charlotte. Heath had a big bag of Kettle Corn so he was happy. I sold my catalytic converters and headed back.

When I came past the hospital exit there was an ambulance coming off the interstate from the north bound side. I went on south and got to my exit and another ambulance came up behind us. He passed and about 5 minutes later another ambulance was headed back to the Hospital. About 10 more minutes another one.

I decided to see where the one in front of me was going.

Just inside Cherryville there was a bad head on collision. I haven't heard anything about it on the news.

I ran back home and turned Gunner loose in the yard, took Heath inside and changed his diaper, took a bathroom break myself. Then we all loaded back up and headed to Bessemer City.

I me the guy I was getting a truck from at his house then followed him to the truck. It was a Mitsubishi Mighty Max that was loaded with crap. Not since I got the Buick Regal full of phone books have I gotten a car with so much junk in it. The cab was full. The bed was packed. Even the tool box was full.

mitsu.jpg

Heath decided to see how he liked a ball cap

heathcap.jpg

Most of it what was in the bed was rotted clothes. I did find a handful of tools – hammer, hatchet, dikes, and pry bar in the tool box. However, when I got to the cab I found a big bag of sweatshirts that will fit Steph, A Craftsman Radio/battery charger that needs a cord, a crock pot, and the biggie – a water cooler bottle with about 4 inches of change in it. I figure there has to be at least $30 in it. Lots of pennies.

Steph got home and sliced off the cat while I pulled the radiator. Then the fuel was drained and it was all done.

I pulled it over to the remains of the old grill we took apart yesterday and we threw that in the back.

Steph began to round up all the aluminum and load up Christine. I found a few things that needed to be disassembled to go to the smelter.

Tomorrow morning I will take Heath and Christine to the smelter. Steph will take the BlueOx to class then I will go swap trucks with her to take the Mitsu to the crusher. It will be another busy day. Hopefully I will have a few nickles to rub together by Monday.

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 4 others have said thanks

#2472 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 06:51 PM

Run, run, run,

This morning I woke up to a tragedy.

I got up, put Gunner out, changed Heath's diaper, went tinkle myself, let Gunner back in, opened the pantry, and there was no coffee.

horror.jpg

So a trip to the convienence store was in order. I looked for my wallet. It was no where to be seen. I called Steph. She had it with her in Shelby. She also had all the change. SO I rooted aroud and found some change and Heath and I left in Christine.

I got the the closest store and all they had was decafe. Ewwwwww.

The second station had regular, but it was weak. I drank it begrudgingly.

badcoffee.jpg

Then we went to the smelter. Once all the aluminum was in nice pretty ingots and I had a pocket full of cash, we headed home.

I loaded up all the garbage that came from the Mitsubishi yesterday. Then we headed off to the dump.

We stopped at BoJangles for slightly better coffee, fries, and orange juice.

After we unloaded we headed over to the school Steph is working at to switch trucks.

I had been doing some thinking about the friend who called to sell me the AC unit. Steph said that when she went by to get the AC the dogs were looking a bit thin. Not starving, but thin. Since Buddy had been out of work for 3 months it I understood.

When I lost everything I owned after the ex left me they kept me alive when I had no desire to live. So on the way to the school I decided to do something about it.

Steph was able to leave early and she texted me just as I pulled in the driveway to see if I wanted her to come home early. I told her to come on out.

We went by the grocery store and got a 50 pound bag of dog food for the dogs. They had some ground beef on sale so I grabbed them some of that too. Then I got some coffee.

We went to their house and they werenot home. I texted them and told them I had their money and to come home. While we waited we fed both dogs.

When they got home they told is that the wife is starting work at Chick-fil-a tomorrow, but wont have a a check for another week. Buddy has been putting in applications, but since he has been self employed for 20 years no one wants to hire him. Fortunately he has some tile jobs coming in finally.

When we left there we headed to the house to snag the Mitsu and carry it off. That almost got exciting. For some reason it wanted to sway at 55mph. It is never good when the thing you are towing decided it wants to decide on the direction. I got the last laugh when they picked it up with the grappler and smashed it.

We got our check and headed home.

I had to stop at AutoZone to get a pitman arm puller so I can replace the one on the Ox tomorrow. There was a guy in the parking lot in a blue Ford Ranger pulling a log splitter. He had a pitt bull puppy in the bed.

I went in and while I was checking out someone left the parking lot with a broken exhaust wide open. The counter guy and I were talking about it. I walked out and people were looking out at the road. The genius in the Ranger had turned been the idiot who went roaring out. He turned the splitter over in the road. I have no idea if the dog got roughed up, but I wanted to go down and slap the guy. He flipped the splitter over and raced off again.

We got home and Steph and Heath took a nap.

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#2473 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 07:27 PM

Bad news being out of coffee. Makes for a bad day!

#2474 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 08:38 PM

Now what I can't figure out is how, just HOW that William could EVER allow himself to run out of coffee!!!   :smilewink:

#2475 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 08:50 PM

It seems that the can I have been using was the emergency backup can. I didn't realize that last time I ran low Steph got it out instead of buying more. I am going to have to lock it up from now on.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks