wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 02:32 PM

My back isn't happy.

If you are wondering why I have not been doing daily updates it is because I HATE THIS FREAKING KEYBOARD. My good one died. You have to beat this one like it owes you money. I think it was made for Schwartzenager.

keyboardcoffee.jpg

Tuesday we took the CUCV to its owner. Then we stopped by a park and turned Heath loose. He is finally getting the idea of what a slide is for. He would rather have a tractor though. We spent the rest of the day doing family stuff.

Yesterday morning we were awakened by a truck pulling in the yard. The power company. It seems that Steph did not pay the bill she thought she did. I am not sure what she paid. We had to scramble to get some cash. The bill was $180. I had $12. I told her that it was my fault for not showing her how the bills are done. She got some extra money and thought she would pay the bill. Something got paid.

coffee-above-20102596.jpg

My first thought was the old 88 pickup that has been sitting here for 4 years. I got under it a while back and found out that it was going to need a new frame and lots of body work. It had been sitting and used for parts since then. Since it needed a full restoration - or basically prying off the radiator cap and driving a new truck under it - I have thought if scrapping it for a while.

So we proceeded to empty the crap out of the bed and then pulled it to the top of the hill with the BlueOx. Steph took the OX down the hill with the tow dolly and dropped the cradle. As soon as I started down the hill I realized there was a problem – NO BRAKES.

I slammed the parking brake down, but no dice, the field was wet. The old truck slid right over the dolly and straddled it. When it went over my back got jarred bad. I staggered up the hill and Steph called her mom to borrow some money. I could barely stand. Her mom told her that she was giving us money for Christmas so she would just deduct the amount.

After about 6 hours on my massaging cushion I was able to move again and we went out to try to straighten out the mess.

It was dark and Stephs brain was in shutdown mode so it took a lot longer than it should have. We finaly managed to just pull the truck over the dolly.

Then Christine was hooked to the dolly and pulled around in front of the 88. My long Amsteel Blue synthetic winch cable was run under Christine, over the dolly, and to the 88. The other end went on the Ox in front of Christine.

Then Steph put the Ox in gear and her brain in neutral. The 88 was not going up on the dolly. I was screaming stop and flashing my flashlight at her. She kept going. By the time she stopped she had pulled the dolly forward and turned Christine about 45 degrees.

You can say what you want about the Ox, but she will flat pull.

Once everythign was untangled, and we had the truck up on the dolly, we hooked the cable to Christine and I pulled it up the h ill with the Ox.

It was about 930. We called it a day.

I laid in bed trying to remember if I took my sleeping medicine and didn't think I did so I had Steph go get it for me. I woke up at 2pm. Evidently I had already taken it – but I was well rested.

After some

712fmx+w+rL._SY355_.jpg

We all went outside and jerked the few remaining parts off the pickup that I wanted and then headed off to the scrap yard.

Uneventfully we got unloaded then headed off to do some shopping. There were some things we really needed.

My holster had decided it did not want to hold my pistol any longer so a new one had to be found. I got tired of not being able to get out of the truck without having to grab at my pistol.

We went to Dick's Sporting goods. I also grabbed a couple of boxes of ammo that was pretty cheap. Finding .22 WMR is hard so I grabbed a box.

We got a bag of JellyBelly's. Heath decided they were great.

We ate dinner at Moe's. I had the Homewrecker, Steph had an Alfrado Garcia, Heath had a cheese quesselida. He must have been hungry because he ate it and a ton of chips and queso.

Then we swung by Lowe's and got some sawsall blades. Then to Harbor Freight to get some cutoff wheels.

One run through the grocery store and we were home.

Heath was amazingly well behaved – especially since he had no nap. We were both proud of the little guy. He was in bed at 830 and asleep about 20 minutes later. He didn't even crawl out of the crib.

I will be buying a new keyboard soon. I HATE THIS KEYBOARD.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#2387 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 03:56 PM

Sorry things have not been cooperating with you, Willie!

#2388 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 03:58 PM

Willie, you & I haven't been doing so well with powerlines have we!   :(

• Craig. said thank you

#2389 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 04:50 PM

Sorry things have not been cooperating with you, Willie!

Willie, you & I haven't been doing so well with powerlines have we!   :(

Yesterday we were laughing about all of it. Our neighbors think we are nuts at times. We are yelling one minute and laughing the next. They just shake their heads.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#2390 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 05:33 PM

If ya can't laugh....ya go loonie!

• UncleWillie said thank you

#2391 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 07:13 PM

Some days nothing goes wrong, but nothing goes according to plan.

This morning I got up with plans to work on the BlueOx. It was pouring rain.

So

mwf.jpg

Then we settled in to watch the rain fall.

About 12 I got a text from a guy about a car in Granite Falls. I asked him where the car was and he said it was at an abandoned warehouse – I took my good bullets. We all trundled out to the BlueOx and drove off.

We made one stop at the muffler shop for a piece of pipe to fix what was broken and $20 later we were on the road.

We were meeting the guy at a gas station so we got there early so I could scout around a bit. Everything looked ok. He arrived and we followed him over. It turns out that his shop is an old factory warehouse, nothing to worry about.

Once we were loaded up we headed over to Northern Tool. I needed a coupel of things to fix my magnetic towing lights. Heath found a cable wrap that he fell in love with. Since a pack of 4 was only $4.80 I got them. He has one – I have 3. My jumper cables will have to behave now.

We found this beauty in the parking lot when we left.

IMG_20141003_150923_008.jpg IMG_20141003_150949_136.jpg

We had lunch at Wendy's drivethru. Heath had it made in the back of the truck.

IMG_20141003_152428_700.jpg

We got home and he was so tired he could barely stand. . Steph put him down for a nap then she left for class.

I got busy working on my tow lights. Unless you spend $100 on a set they are garbage. I refuse to spend that much. Over they years I have bought about 8 sets when they were on sale. I took all the parts and made a good set that has much stronger magnets and a lot longer cord – 32 feet instead of 18. I made the bases out of an old aluminum sign.

IMG_20141003_200517_135.jpg

After gettign that all soldered up and shrink wrapped I went and checked on Heath – he didn't stay in his crib..

IMG_20141003_183333_901.jpg

That is the top bunk.

I got him up and gave him a glass of juice and a pack of peanut butter crackers. He is happy.

The truck still isn't fixed, but there is always tomorrow.

Edited by UncleWillie, October 03, 2014 - 07:15 PM.

#2392 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,711 Thanks
  • 8,897 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 08:49 PM

That is one sweet shortbox.

#2393 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 06:54 AM

Very nice truck!  They don't stay that pretty around here. 

#2394 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 08:50 PM

So close....

Steph was gone to class all day yesterday so I didn't do much besides helping Graham clean his chimney.

Then, after a cool night....

autumnspice.jpg

Then we all spent some time together. When Heath went down for his nap we went outside to get the exhaust on the Ox put back together. The pipe was easy enough. The bouncing pipe destroyed the exhaust flange gaskets ( doughnuts) coming back from Alabama. I found one in the shop and wasn't sure if it fit the Ox or not. We dropped the passengers side and saw that it did fix the Ox so I had to go get another one for the drivers side. I left the new doughnut on top of the passengers side front tire.

Right before I left I got a call from a regular customer about some junk that he wanted gone today. I left Steph to take the Buick LeSabre that we got for scrap on Friday apart.

Steph sent me a text that she had finished the Buick and had tried to take the drivers side doughnut off and the bolts were messed up.

I ran up to the guys house and then went to the parts house to get a doughnut and new studs for the flange.

I passed this machine on the way home. Now that is a bumper.

katcher1.jpg

katchetr.jpg

I got home and found that 2 of the studs had broken off in the manifold. So the manifold had to come off. Of course all 4 plug wires broke when I took them off. Fortunately they were under warranty. Steph went to get them while I tried to remove the broken studs. It took me about a hour to get the two of them off.

Steph came back and got to changing the plug wires while I was still wrestling with the manifold.

After the manifold was back on I put the drivers side doughnut on and then slid across to the drivers side. The doughnut was gone. We searched high and low and all I can figure is that Heath ran off with it.

It was dark and Steph was getting cold so we went in. It will get finished tomorrow.

While cooking dinner Steph set the oven on fire. No damage but a lot of nasty smoke.

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2395 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 06:29 AM

That is a tough looking bumper! Hope you find the doughnut!

#2396 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 09:39 PM

Good thing I didn't leave for MS today.

I don't know what time I went ot sleep last night, but it was early this morning. I slept through my alarm and woke up at what I thought was 9am. It was 11.

High Octane.jpg

Then I tried to check email. The phone kept ringing. One call was from a guy who was stranded in NC and needed to sell his broken down van to pay for a bus ticket back home for his family and him. I told him I would be there at 5.

We finished up the exhaust and put new spark plug wires on the Ox. While we did that my buddy, Reid, came by to see if I had some parts. I didn't. This was the first time he has ever come over and not left with something.

The Falcon got jumpstarted and hooked to the moblie crane and we went across the street. We tried to pull Grahams old TV antenna out of the ground, but it mist have been in cement. Steph got the sawzall and I sliced it off under the ground. Once that was back at the house it was time to leave.

The Buick was taken off the dolly and we headed up to Lenoir. After talking to the guy I really wish I could have paid him more for the van. He was in a bad spot with his wife and 3 kids.

We headed home. Heath fell asleep about 30 minutes from the house and woke up about 5 minutes after we got home. It was after 6 when we arrived.

Steph got started taking the Chryser van apart. I got busy swaping out the steering column in the Ox for a tilt unit. I have wanted a tilt in it since I bought it. My shoulder does not like the high position the wheel was in.

We went back and forth between me helping her and her helping me until we got both jobs done.

It was getting towards 8 and we had not eaten dinner so I ordered pizza.

I had a stereo in the shop that had a remote. I have no idea what car we got it out of. We put it in the Ox and it didn't work. We stuck another one in and it worked great for about 5 minutes. So the old one went back in it.

At 10 we finally packed the last tool in the box and came inside. We are both tired.

Tomorrow morning when the scrap yard opens we will be sitting at the gate waiting for them.

• olcowhand, larrybl, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#2397 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 04:32 AM

Sounds like a busy day!

#2398 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 04:16 PM

Made it to Jackson and back for the third and final trip. Had a problem with the intake manifold gasket that I managed to cobble back together and get home at 10am today. Tried to sleep but couldn't. now just trying to make it till later this evening to go to bed. More details later.

• olcowhand, MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#2399 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 05:10 PM

This update brought to you by...

largest.jpg

I think I drank more than that on my three trips.

So here are the trips to Ms in a nutshell

Guy bought 3 CUCVs down in Pearl, MS.

On the first trip all was perfect.

On the second the truck broke down in Tuscaloosa, Al on the way home. Throwing lots of codes. Thought it was a plugged cat. Gutted the cat and drove home.

On this trip it decided to act up in Tuscaloosa on the way down. Computer was throwing code for Knock sensor. Replaced sensor and drove onto Pearl.

Stopped for gas just inside the MS state line and was greeted by firetrucks leaving the property. One of the truckstop employees had tossed a load of towels in the dryer and the machine retaliated by bursting into flame. No real damage, but it was interesting.

Made it to Pearl at about 1045. Found a lawyers office on fire. Lots of smoke and flashing lights. I pulled in to a Wendys parking lot and went to sleep in the back seat.

The next morning I fired up and got the last CUCV. I was on the way out of Pearl at about 12pm.

On the way home it broke down in Tuscaloosa again. At this point I was considering buying a house there.

Throwing exact same codes. Called a mechanic buddy and we talked it through. Loose intake manifold. Tightened it up and headed home.

About 40 miles from my exit it started to run like crap again. 80 MPH down hills - 25 up them. Got off the interstate and limped home at 20 MPH. Had lots of pissed off people. Got home at 10am.

Finally got to sleep at 8pm after about 36 hours of being awake. Slept till 1130 yesterday morning.

My back was in knots and I didn't feel like tackling the intake. I called my mechanic friend and he did it for $100. Since that intake is a good 100 pounds no way I was going to try to wrestle it.

He got her at about 9pm last night and was gone at 11. Everythign was dong except for one hose that we found needed replacing and refilling the fluids.

I must have been more tired than I thought because I woke up at 1pm today. I am not sure what time I went to sleep.

Steph went to the parts house and got the hose we needed then we got it all back together. We had to make one stop for a rain storm that threatened to drown us. It rained for about 45 seconds and quit.

Fired the truck up and found that we forgot to tighten up the fuel lines. After a exciting few seconds we shut it down and got everythign tightened up.

Hopefully that is the last of the problems. In about 2500 miles I will tighten the intake up again just to be sure.

• olcowhand, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 4 others have said thanks

#2400 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted October 14, 2014 - 01:06 AM

Steph is back in class so it will take a while to get things runnung smooth againScreenshot_2014-10-14-01-58-14.png
Heath and I spent the day goofing off except for the few minutes that a guy was here to buy a transmission. I managed to step in a hole and wrench my back.

Steph got home at 3. I told her to quickly change clothes and then we left for the crusher. The Buick was dumped and we headed to the bank. With that check deposited we went to the store then home.