OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Sounds to me like some no good varmint needs a good old fashioned butt whippin.

#2207 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 01:55 PM

Busy day already.

We took yesterday off.

Then we got up before the crack of early to beat the heat....

bird.jpeg

We secured Heath in his bedroom with some food, a sippy cup of juice, and the cat then headed outside. We live in a mobile home so we can hear him through the wall.

The valve covers were a bear. I don't know what the PO used on them but I had to use the angle grinder with the wire brush to get it off. That took about 45 minutes and covered both Steph and I in filth.

A closer inspection of the failed parts on the power steering bump found another problem. One of the mounting bolts was broken off in the head. And of course the PO ground it smooth. Geesh. So out came the drill and bits and I carefully drilled it out terrified of going too deep and needing a new head the whole time. I could not get the broken bolt to budge so I just tapped the hole when I got it big enough.

While I was tapping I sent Steph off to the shop to find a bolt. We didn't have one long enough. So once I figured out how long of a bolt I needed I set off to Ace hardware while Steph bolted on some more stuff and then fed the zoo.

I got out of Ace for $6. Dang high for a bolt in 4 washers ( I didn't feel like cutting the bolt down since they had one that was way to short and one that was 4 washers too long).

Then I went down to AutoZone to get some power steering fluid. When I got there I saw an 87 K5 Blazer that I have been lusting at in a guys front yard for years. The counter guy, Anthony, was out there looking under the hood. They said it had a frozen starter because ti would only click. I said they were both crazy and had him turn it over. Sure enough it clicked. I had Anthony hook up a battery tester and it was showing 80% charge. He went back in and got a jump box and it still just clicked.

I looked under the truck and found the power wire to the starter hanging by 2 strands of wire. I don't know how he even got it started to drive it to AZ but he did.

With my good deed for the day done I grabbed my power steering fluid and went home.

When I grabbed the PS mount I saw the other broken off bolt that I had forgotten about. So the drill came back out and after some slow progress it came out. I retapped the hole and Steph found a bolt.

Everything went back together easily until I was trying to get the oil dip stick back in place and I snapped off the brake booster check valve. I ran to town again and no one had it. NAPA was closed. So I headed home and stole the one off Nameless. I will find another one before it gets restored.

Heath was outside enjoying the big fan we had set up to blow on us. he also spent some quality time staring at his favorite yard ornament.

windmill.jpg

Once every thing was assembled Christine came to to life and I took all 2.8L of fury out for a test drive. It was amazing how quiet it was.

I came back home and got the trimmer that Graham had given me. His step dad could not get he fuel lines to stay on it. I had an idea so I grabbed the gas can and ran down to Wal-Mart and got some 2 cycle oil, a $25 gift card (gas is $.10 cheaper with the gift card) a bag of M&Ms, and a Mt Dew. Then over to the Murphy station to get one gallon in the can and the rest in Christine.

On the way home I took a drink of the Mt. Dew – blech diet.

Back home Heath spotted the candy and I had his undivided attention. Since he was otuside I gave him a bunch. He ran it off.

I pulled the fuel lines off and carefully cleaned them and the nipples on the carb up with acetone. Then I took a tiny bit of Permatex and a tiny screwdriver and put it on the nipples. Then I put the hoses back on and zip tied them. Once they were secured I took my little butane torch and carefully heated the hoses up. They are not coming back off anytime soon.

I ran the trimmer a bit and then turned it over to Steph. It kills my shoulder to run one anymore.

While Steph was trimming Heath and I got on the Falcon and chased Carmel around the yard. It was a blast and it got her some much needed exercise. Since Diesel has been down she has lots of extra energy with no one to play with.

Finally it started to get hot and at around 130 we all headed inside.

He had helped us with the repairs and got totally filthy.

dirty.jpg

I may got back out this evening to work on some stuff after it starts to cool off again.

• MH81, HowardsMF155, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#2208 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 04:00 PM

He looks like a normal boy to me, Willie! They don't stay clean for long!

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#2209 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 05:17 PM

Dirt & grime are great for kids!  Besides learning to work on things, the grime introduces the little ones to all sorts of bacteria that gives them better immunity as they grow older.  A sterile environment isn't exactly healthy!

• TheFarm2004, OldBuzzard, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#2210 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 06:24 PM

Dirt & grime are great for kids!  Besides learning to work on things, the grime introduces the little ones to all sorts of bacteria that gives them better immunity as they grow older.  A sterile environment isn't exactly healthy!

His environment is anything but sterile. He drinks out of puddles in the yard and swims in the duck pool and shares food with the dogs. He has never been sick except for one ear infection and a bout of pneumonia that we still have not figured out how he got.

My ex used to run a daycare and had two kids whose mother was a clean freak. She bleached everything. Poor kids stayed sick.

• olcowhand, OldBuzzard, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#2211 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Somehow I have been busy all day long and got nothing accomplished.

This morning my phone rang a 8am. A guy was coming to look at a Craftsman II...

coffeerun.png

Once he arrived he looked at several and finally decided on the black C2 with no engine. He had one that had a broken rear end.

I came inside and had to get some more coffee and some food in me and check my email. Then I hopped in the BlueOx and headed off to get it inspected.

When I got to the shop the inspector was out for a bit so I sat and waited.

The shop has a dog that someone dumped off to die. She is a very old yellow lab who is now on cloud nine. She is babied and spoiled rotten.

The guy got there and asked what year the truck was. I told him 94 and he said good. He got a car in this morning that was OBD II and when he tried to inspect it he found out that his license had expired and he has to take the class again.

Once he inspected my truck he couldn't pass it because it has no cat. He has inspected it 3 times before and never caught it. I have 60 days to get it done, but I only have a week to got to court for the ticket.

So I headed home.

Steph had a doc appointment so she left almost as soon as I got home.

I got a bunch of phone calls about nothing I could do anything with. Finally I got a call about a 90 Cadillac DeVille. I gave her a price and she said come get it. I told her when Steph got home I would. As soon as I hung up I got a call about a 93 DeVille. He didn't like my price. When I checked my business Facebook page a friend is selling a 20?? DeVille. Odd ain't it?

I looked in the bedroom and found Diesel making good use of the empty bed...

dieselnap.jpg

I headed outside to try to make heads or tails of my shop. It looks like a bomb went off in it.

I found all the parts of the DragonFly that I so painstakingly put in containers and labeled had been discovered by Heath...

bolts.jpg

I got the locker that I painted about 3 weeks ago finally put in the shop. It took about an hour to get a spot cleaned and get it wrestled in there by myself.

Then I heard Heath on the baby monitor. He was up from his nap. I got the door ways cleared out and shut the shop and checked the mail and went inside.

Heath was sound asleep again.

It was close to time for Steph to be back so I wasn't going back to the shop.

One she got home we loaded up in the Ox and made our way to Claremont to get the Caddy.

The GPS had a brain fart and took me all kinds of backwards getting there.

At the house we found the car and pulled up in front of it. IT was supposed to only need a battery to run. I was going to toss one in and jump start it.

Once the woman came out I started to open the hood. I got stung in three fingers of my left hand 8 times. Then she said, “Oh yeah there is a big wasp nest in there.” I refrained from slapping her. At least Steph and Heath didn't get stung.

Then she said I couldn't have the tires. She knew I was coming up with a tow dolly. I even asked if the tires were aired up. I don't know how she expected me to tow it with no tires.

So we headed home.

Steph looked in the glove box for the pack of nasty Blackwoods cigars that I keep in there to treat stings. They were gone.

I stopped at a store and got the cheapest giver they had. Once the stings I covered stopped hurting so much I found three others.

Steph had to get some stuff at Bi-lo so we stopped. I put wet tobacco on the new found stings while she changed Heaths diaper.

We got one of the buggies that looks like a firetruck and has steering wheels. Heath and I raced around the store making engine sounds while Steph tried to hide behind every pillar, post, and price tag.

As we were leaving the store Steph was getting in the truck and I noticed it was rolling. I stomped on the brake pedal and heard a thump She went face first into the A-Pillar of the truck. I felt terrible.

We got home and I realized how futile today has been. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

• olcowhand, KennyP, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#2212 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 05:49 PM

Nice easy day.

Last night about 1100 I remembered I was supposed to go work on a friends car. Oops. I sent them a text and said I would be there this morning.

So this morning....

coffeeperson.jpg

Then we loaded up and headed to Shelby. We dragged the tow dolly along in case the van had to come home with me.

I wasn't sure what was wrong with the van so I asked them and still didn't get a clear answer on what was going on. I got the keys and Steph and I went outside to look at it while they watched Heath.

I had the hood open and started the van. By the time I got back to the hood it was knocking. I yelled for Steph to shut it down then pulled the dipstick. It was out of oil.

So Buddy and I went to Autozone while Steph and Heath stayed there.

We got oil and a filter and headed back.

I jacked up the front end and told Steph to set the parking brake. She did. She closed the door and then we heard a thunk. The doors locked themselves. There was only one key for the van.

So I called roadside assistance and proceeded to change the filter and pulled the drain plug. I got about a half a quart out. After I poured in a bottle of Lucas and 4 quarts of oil there was nothing we could do but wait.

Buddy and I went inside to get some serious coffee drinking done.

About an hour later the van was unlocked. I started it up and it knocked for a while then quieted down to a tiny lifter tap. I hope it survives. I have no idea where the oil went. There was no oil on the engine, driveway, or in the radiator. It is like someone stole it.

Then we had to figure out why the van didn't run right before it was out of oil. Of course he didn't tell me he took it to AZ and had it scanned. He had the printouts somewhere.

Once they found them I saw that both O2 sensors were bad. The van has 200k on it so no shock there.

The parts were going to be $165 at any parts house so I went online and looked them up on Rockauto. $65 + shipping. NO brainier there. The van will just have to run badly for a few days.

After some time spent harassing their cats and daughters and loading a draftsman's file cabinet up on the tow dolly ( it is going in my shop)we came home.

It looked like rain so we came in. Now that the sun is going down the sky is clear. I really need a garage.

• olcowhand, KennyP, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#2213 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 06:21 PM

Meant to ask yesterday when you mentioned Diesel.

How's he getting along now?

• HDWildBill and UncleWillie have said thanks

#2214 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 08:48 PM

Meant to ask yesterday when you mentioned Diesel.

How's he getting along now?

If you didn't know him you would just think he is lazy. He is laying down more than usual and hasn't been playing with Carmel much, but he is getting around great. He is making up for lost time eating too.

• MH81, OldBuzzard, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#2215 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 07:55 PM

Baby it's hot outside.

I was tired last night and didn't sleep all that well...

mugatomic.jpg

Then I tried out a survey site that is supposed to pay money. If it works I will post a link. So far I have spent time answering questions.

In between questions I answered phone calls.

When Heath went down for a nap I left my phone on the desk and Steph and I went outside. The dogs came out too.

First we cleaned up some stuff and moved junk out of the way. A bunch of broken and nail infested lumber got put in the burn barrel.

I got new pictures of all the stuff I am selling.

Then the drafting file cabinet got lugged over to the shop and set up and....

DSCF5170.JPG

DSCF5174.JPG

Got a picture of the locker I put in a couple days ago..

DSCF5172.JPG

Not sure why it is sideways. I turned it twice. Oh well.

While we were distracted the dogs took the opportunity to disappear. That tells me that Diesel is on the mend.

After I was nearly hoarse from calling them I found Diesel in the longhorn pen. I had to lift up the bottom of the fence for him to crawl under because he is too dumb to remember how he got in there.

Then I came in and started posting ads. (Still posting them)

Steph was out running the trimmer and at some point Carmel showed up covered in mud. She went straight in the tub. Now she is under my desk sucking up to me.

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2216 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 08:21 PM

Hmmm....diesel in the longhorn pen....could the cattle owner have put the lead in him?

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2217 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 08:43 PM

Hmmm....diesel in the longhorn pen....could the cattle owner have put the lead in him?

No the owner is rarely there. I know who shot him. I just can't prove it. He has shot several dogs before. If I ever catch him he better pray for arrest

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2218 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 06:10 PM

July 11, 2014 – a story of heat, money, and finding my wife in bed with another man...

Today started like any other. Any other day that begins with me going to sleep at 5am.

aa.jpg

Then I spent some time doing some more surveys. Her is how it works. You take a survey, you get points, certain number of points = cash. I have 100 points and I earned $10. Not bad if you have the time to do it. https://www.opinionoutpost.com

So after I had completed my daily surveys and answered a milliohn phone calls from idiots who didn't really know what they were calling about.

Caller – Yeah I am calling about the mower.

Me – Which one.

C- the one of Craigslsit

Me- I have several on there which one are you calling about.

C- Ummm I don't know.

So after Heath went down for a nap so did Steph. After she had been in bed for about an hour I went in to get a shirt. Horror of all horrors. I found someone had taken my place.

IMG_20140711_155426_290.jpg

SO after I recovered from that I went out to work on the DragonFlys deck.

TimmyDale had done a lot of welding on it. I had to do a lot of grinding. I went through 2 ½ grinder wheels.

A guy showed up to look at the little Murray I had. He bought it.

Steph came out and turned the dogs loose while he was here.

Then I slathered on a bunch of JB weld in the places on the deck that were too thin to weld. All the ugliness will be under the spindle cover. I just didn't want moisture to get in there and rust it out again.

Then I pulled the deck mounting hardware out of the E-tank, pressure washed it, and started cleaning it up.

Another guy showed up to look at the rear end to the Lowe's rider. It wasn't the right one and I didn't have quite what he needed. So he left and I went back to cleaning. I only had one piece left.

These DeWalt wire brushes are garbage.

IMG_20140711_181032_076.jpg

Ocne all the grinding and cleaning were over I took a minute to sit in a chair and stop sweating so bad. It was a hot humid day.

Finally came in and took a shower. Pulled two more wire brush bristles out of my belly.

Now for a cup of coffee. The hat is looking pretty good for going through 2 years of use....

IMG_20140711_183643_226.jpg

• olcowhand, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#2219 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 06:36 PM

Got peppered by the brush, did you?

#2220 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 06:42 PM

Got peppered by the brush, did you?

Just a bit. Had one bristle sticking out of my knuckle.

• KennyP said thank you